Television WandaVision

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I'm confused, the theme was clearly The Office but it felt far more like a Modern Family parody. I can only assume it was supposed to be The Office though given we're now in the noughties?

Sylar

I'm confused, the theme was clearly The Office but it felt far more like a Modern Family parody. I can only assume it was supposed to be The Office though given we're now in the noughties?
Theme seemed more Modern Family with the music and the way they were talking and looking at the camera. I mean I guess Office is similar so could be either. Defo MF vibes though.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It was most like modern family (with Olson basically doing a Julie Bowen impression) but I would guess they were going for a generalised parody of that 00's style mockumentary comedy (Modern Family, The Office, Parks & Rec, Arrested Development). It didn't have to be quite as specific as the Malcolm in the Middle one.

Massive Spanner

It was most like modern family (with Olson basically doing a Julie Bowen impression) but I would guess they were going for a generalised parody of that 00's style mockumentary comedy (Modern Family, The Office, Parks & Rec, Arrested Development). It didn't have to be quite as specific as the Malcolm in the Middle one.
Modern Family is surely far more of a 10's era comedy than 00's though? Given it started in 2009. I would say The Office defined the 00s far more. The theme was also clearly The Office wasn't it?

Then again it's far harder to do an Office impression than Modern Family in that context.

b82REZ

Modern Family is surely far more of a 10's era comedy than 00's though? Given it started in 2009. I would say The Office defined the 00s far more. The theme was also clearly The Office wasn't it?

Then again it's far harder to do an Office impression than Modern Family in that context.
The opening titles were a nod to The Office, the rest of the episode was a Modern Family parody. The house and kitchen were made to look almost identical.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

I think they're being fairly broad in terms of the decades too. I mean technically Malcolm in the Middle is also a 00's choice given it started in 2000.

It's more about the stylistic generations, I think. Malcolm in the Middle marked a specific stylistic shift away from the then-prevalent multi-cam sitcoms to the now ubiquitous single cam format. Then later on you had a wave of Office-inspired mockucomedies, which is yet another specific style for them to mine. I think they're more interested in those style shifts than which particular comedy they're aping or when they technically started.

But yeah, the theme song seemed to be a reference to The Office. Even if the episode more closely copies Modern Family (because the set up suits it better) that Office-style theme music is probably the most immediate way to clue you in to the type of sitcom they're doing this week.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Opening credits for last episode were also a hat tip to Happy Endings sitcom which was produced by Russo Brothers.

Dante

Average bang

The bits in the van felt quite Arrested Development-esque.

Massive Spanner

I think they're being fairly broad in terms of the decades too. I mean technically Malcolm in the Middle is also a 00's choice given it started in 2000.

It's more about the stylistic generations, I think. Malcolm in the Middle marked a specific stylistic shift away from the then-prevalent multi-cam sitcoms to the now ubiquitous single cam format. Then later on you had a wave of Office-inspired mockucomedies, which is yet another specific style for them to mine. I think they're more interested in those style shifts than which particular comedy they're aping or when they technically started.

But yeah, the theme song seemed to be a reference to The Office. Even if the episode more closely copies Modern Family (because the set up suits it better) that Office-style theme music is probably the most immediate way to clue you in to the type of sitcom they're doing this week.
Oh, mad, always assumed MitM started earlier than that.

I guess I assumed episode eight would be the 2010's so that'd be the Modern Family episode but maybe the last two episodes will be pure plot now given that ending.

Sylar

I guess I assumed episode eight would be the 2010's so that'd be the Modern Family episode but maybe the last two episodes will be pure plot now given that ending.
Given her world has been shattered I believe that too
The sitcom situation is now gone with the reveal of a villain and her kids taken

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!

I think with the reveal we got, we are done with following a decades theme for the episode and will now purely be about the plot as you say.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

I’ve loved the show (including the first few episodes), but this song/reveal might just be my favourite thing so far

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

I’ve loved the show (including the first few episodes), but this song/reveal might just be my favourite thing so far
The villain reveal justifies the entire season's format by itself.

Rustyspider13

What an episode. Elizabeth Olsen was fantastic again.

Chaos Magic. Scarlet Witch in full costume. WHITE VISION. They've made Wanda a full on reality warper and I couldn't be happier. We're going even more comic book then we already were.

The highlight of the episode was Wanda's "I can't feel you". Thought it was very well delivered. The final showdown may very well come down to Wanda, Monica & Vision vs. Agatha, Fietro & White Vision. Very excited.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Fantastic ep that gave the first 3 episodes new meaning.

Great series, very well done.

b82REZ

Almost as if all the hysterical comments after those episodes were a bit premature.

Stevie Wonder could see it was heading away from the sitcom setup

decorativeed

While I enjoyed this one, we didn't actually learn much new information. Some further hints at what most have been guessing, a version of the story we first heard in Age of Ultron and revisiting of events we've already seen, with a couple of changes. Worth it all for the post credits scene, although you need to be a bit of a comics geek to understand what you're seeing.

ha_rooney

The mid-credit scene :eek:

Superb episode. Elizabeth Olsen’s been great this series, but that episode she was fantastic to really enable the viewers to understand the grief Wanda’s faced her entire life. Brilliant!!

Hoof the ball

What an episode. Elizabeth Olsen was fantastic again.

Chaos Magic. Scarlet Witch in full costume. WHITE VISION. They've made Wanda a full on reality warper and I couldn't be happier. We're going even more comic book then we already were.

The highlight of the episode was Wanda's "I can't feel you". Thought it was very well delivered. The final showdown may very well come down to Wanda, Monica & Vision vs. Agatha, Fietro & White Vision. Very excited.
How do you do the text blurring?

Hoof the ball

While I enjoyed this one, we didn't actually learn much new information. Some further hints at what most have been guessing, a version of the story we first heard in Age of Ultron and revisiting of events we've already seen, with a couple of changes. Worth it all for the post credits scene, although you need to be a bit of a comics geek to understand what you're seeing.
Do you think they're building towards a House of M arc in the MCU sometime?

decorativeed

I'd imagine they will use elements of it, but i doubt it'll be a faithful adaptation of the whole story.

ha_rooney

I’m surprised they’ve gone with Hayward & at least part of SWORD as bad guys (similar to Hydra being embedded in SHIELD) straight away. Wonder if he’s actually part of Hydra/AIM or just a cnut.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Almost as if all the hysterical comments after those episodes were a bit premature.

Stevie Wonder could see it was heading away from the sitcom setup
I'm still never going to think it needed three episodes though :lol: I'd still fully recommend new people coming to the series to skip them and watch recaps instead.

Sylar

Yep, it was so well done. This was obviously built for the end of this episode and the post credit scene and of course next week

I love that Agatha made a joke about Wanda's accent too

Elizabeth Olsen has been awesome

Hamnat

Elizabeth Olsen, Paul Bettany and Kathryn Hahn have all given award winning performances in this series. And a range of acting as well.

This series has so far completly paid off the scope and effort they have put into crafting this. The development in this one series of so many MCU characters is amazing.

One more episode left. I know alot of people are expecting a huge new big bad. But, at this point I would say the show is successful even with what we have been shown.

ha_rooney

Yep, it was so well done. This was obviously built for the end of this episode and the post credit scene and of course next week

I love that Agatha made a joke about Wanda's accent too

Elizabeth Olsen has been awesome
Yep they’ve made fun of the disappearing accent a few times this series, which is good they’re not afraid to mock themselves (playful like AoS). It was random in the films how it went from such a strong accent to a hybrid then no accent at all.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I’m surprised they’ve gone with Hayward & at least part of SWORD as bad guys (similar to Hydra being embedded in SHIELD) straight away. Wonder if he’s actually part of Hydra/AIM or just a cnut.
Came in to ask about the connection between Hayward and Fury. Shouldn't Shield be the place, with Fury as Director? Or was that scam (Fury framed/killed in Winter Soldier) a change in the MCU i missed? @Sylar help.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Elizabeth Olsen, Paul Bettany and Kathryn Hahn have all given award winning performances in this series. And a range of acting as well.

This series has so far completly paid off the scope and effort they have put into crafting this. The development in this one series of so many MCU characters is amazing.

One more episode left. I know alot of people are expecting a huge new big bad. But, at this point I would say the show is successful even with what we have been shown.
Wow....now that isH praise

ha_rooney

Came in to ask about the connection between Hayward and Fury. Shouldn't Shield be the place, with Fury as Director? Or was that scam (Fury framed/killed in Winter Soldier) a change in the MCU i missed? @Sylar help.
The way I’ve understood it is that Maria (Monica’s mum) was Director of SWORD until she died & Hayward has been the acting director in her place. We have the post-credit scene in the last Spider-Man film which IMO suggested Fury would outrank Hayward, but he’s not running things as
he’s in space with Skrulls probably building the SWORD space station & Talos was disguising himself as Fury on earth. Since the events of FAFH take place after WandaVision, it could be that Fury finds out Hayward is a cnut/hydra/AIM, he gets defeated by Wanda & then Talos takes Fury’s place watching over SWORD whilst the real Fury’s in space. - just my thought of how it could fit together
I have no idea how SHIELD fits into all this after the events of Winter Solider and the Agents of SHIELD show going off in its own direction outside MCU. I’m sure Feige will explain it all though!

Ish

Lights on for Luke
The way I’ve understood it is that Maria (Monica’s mum) was Director of SWORD until she died & Hayward has been the acting director in her place. We have the post-credit scene in the last Spider-Man film which IMO suggested Fury would outrank Hayward, but he’s not running things as
he’s in space with Skrulls probably building the SWORD space station & Talos was disguising himself as Fury on earth. Since the events of FAFH take place after WandaVision, it could be that Fury finds out Hayward is a cnut/hydra/AIM, he gets defeated by Wanda & then Talos takes Fury’s place watching over SWORD whilst the real Fury’s in space. - just my thought of how it could fit together
I have no idea how SHIELD fits into all this after the events of Winter Solider and the Agents of SHIELD show going off in its own direction outside MCU. I’m sure Feige will explain it all though!
:eek: