Television WandaVision

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
She’s using astral projection powers that Doctor Strange has, but far more powerful as her physical body was also active independently (whereas Strange’s body is inactive when he does it). The scene gives credence to Agatha’s comment that she’s more powerful than Strange.
This

decorativeed

Bit of a meh finale. Too many standard tropes. Agatha was built up to be a good villain until the end which was meek.

But overall solid. Good set up to a new more magicy marvel universe with more op heroes.

Was aiming to be a 7.5/10 until that last episode. Drops a point after.
Feel the same really. The last two episodes were pretty weak, albeit with a few good moments in each.

Not sure I feel particularly excited about the future of the MCU. Now they have introduced multiverses and time travel they can reverse practically any event, and with limitless magic you tear up the established rulebook. Could end up a mess and without any real jeopardy.

decorativeed

Really enjoyed the whole series

am i the only one who noticed
theres two wandas during the end credit scene?
A lot like that scene in Dr Strange, where his body is sleeping, but his astral form sits reading books, I thought.

Smores

Man that was good, great series and i expected it to be rubbish. Just a good character story without all the blockbuster scenes they usually have to fit in.

Sylar

Feel the same really. The last two episodes were pretty weak, albeit with a few good moments in each.

Not sure I feel particularly excited about the future of the MCU. Now they have introduced multiverses and time travel they can reverse practically any event, and with limitless magic you tear up the established rulebook. Could end up a mess and without any real jeopardy.
With the years of planning put in place that they do don't think it will be a mess

I get your point about real jeapordy but then it's always been like that. Even with IW, due to EG we got characters back (eg wirh vision and soon to be Loki)

el3mel

Isn't this what happens in comics anyway ? Continuously killing and reviving characters ?

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Isn't this what happens in comics anyway ? Continuously killing and reviving characters ?
Yup. No one is truly ever dead in comics.

The MCU is literally one big comic universe in the way it operates. As someone said earlier, wandavision is a limited comic book series on screen.

decorativeed

Yeah, definitely. But that stuff has always turned me off a bit. They're constantly making a muddle of everything by overpowering characters and then having to construct some massive event basically just to reset the universe.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Yeah, definitely. But that stuff has always turned me off a bit. They're constantly making a muddle of everything by overpowering characters and then having to construct some massive event basically just to reset the universe.
Tell you what, the constant reset of universes puts me off aswell believe it or not. Think the only one I've ever enjoyed was flashpoint.

TrustInOle

So, is the fact they have introduced the darkhold mean chthon is confirmed new villain?

Also, doesn't Dr. Strange need to be asleep to perform his astral form?

parkthebuslads

It was a fun finale, albeit one which didn't hold up to the slightest bit of scrutiny.

However, I'm a little surprised by the praise being given for the acting; I thought Elizabeth Olsen was merely fine and that Kathyn Hahn (who I usually like), really struggled as a villain. In fact her performance wouldn't have felt out of place in a pantomime and was a big reason for the ending lacking any real dramatic tension.

Also, scenes in or after credits should be banned :mad:.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Meh.

Turned into a dull CGI smashfest of the typical Marvel ilk and undermined its own attempt to generate emotional impact by immediately setting up potential outs for the loss of Vision and the kids. The need to fit into the MCU formula ultimately won out against the desire to do anything creative.

The series was at its best when it was being a TV show but it turned into another generic Marvel film in the end, just smaller.

Still, the series was generally fun so hey ho.

el3mel

It was a fun finale.

However, I'm a little surprised by the praise being given for the acting; I thought Elizabeth Olsen was merely fine and that Kathyn Hahn (who I usually like), really struggled as a villain. In fact her performance wouldn't have felt out of place in a pantomime and was a big reason for the ending lacking any real dramatic tension.
I found Elizabeth's performance to be really great, she captured Wanda's emotions perfectly but this is nothing new as she was also great in Infiinity War. I agree that the other actors/actresses did a fine job but nothing spectacular, but to be honest I don't think Superhero movies or shows require top notch acting so it's mostly fine.

mu4c_20le

The finale was pretty anti-climactic, I was a bit disappointed to be honest, but the show was good overall. 7/10.
Yeah, bit underwhelmed but effects were good I guess.

The witch fight was kinda meh.. the whole taking turns pretending to be hurt or in trouble got old real quick.

Rustyspider13

That was a very enjoyable finale and series as a whole. I've liked SW and Vision in the movies, but Olsen and Bettany made me really care for them. Olsen deserves some sort of recognition, even if it's just a swarm of fans giving her a standing ovation in some Marvel premiere.

Now, the things I liked about the finale-The Vision fight. The way the two Visions phased in and out of each other to do moves was cool to see. Really liked that the fight between two androids ended not with punches, but with logic.

Wanda in full comic book glory. Even with the headdress that was deemed too cartoony early on the in the MCU. Wanda accepting her loss and saying goodbye to the kids by thanking them and of course the goodbye with Vision.

Agatha surviving. After her popularity, she might be included in Strange 2. Might get White Vision in there too as a post credit scene.

One thing I would've changed-Would've liked if FBI/Monica tried a little bit to apprehend/help Wanda instead of just letting her go. The attempt would've been unsuccessful of course, but Wanda did keep an entire town under her spell for days, so a minor discussion about punishment was warranted. Wanda is in a self imposed 'prison' at the end but the citizens of Westview wouldn't be too happy about that.

I expect Falcon and the Winter Soldier to be much more action heavy than this, but if they touch upon the subjects they are teasing it should have a different hook to it than the mystery angle of WV. I just hope they don't half-ass it and make it too palatable.

Sylar

Now, the things I liked about the finale-The Vision fight. The way the two Visions phased in and out of each other to do moves was cool to see. Really liked that the fight between two androids ended not with punches, but with logic.

That was great and a good contrast to the witch fight going on

He definitely isn't active. I'm glad Wanda is now looking like the most powerful being in the MCU the way they mentioned her fight with thanos and how she's being portrayed.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
It was a fun finale, albeit one which didn't hold up to the slightest bit of scrutiny.

Also, scenes in or after credits should be banned :mad:.
Yeah, I enjoyed her over-the-top sitcom stuff through the series, then thought numerous times watching this finale "She's really not comfortable with this kind of acting".

I'm kinda underwhelmed to be honest. Kinda felt oddly low-stakes and forced.

TrustInOle

That was great and a good contrast to the witch fight going on

He definitely isn't active. I'm glad Wanda is now looking like the most powerful being in the MCU the way they mentioned her fight with thanos and how she's being portrayed.
I agree completley, I'm looking forward to seeing how his ties into Dr Strange, but I have my suspicions.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
It was a very good series, although I do agree with the comments that the ending was straight out of a MCU film.

Vision and Wanda's arc in this was great though. Especially Vision's.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
So someone help.

The black Sword lady. Monica? Is she from captain marvel? Who is her mum? Is her mum the lady in civil war?

I think that's my only question

Rustyspider13

So someone help.

The black Sword lady. Monica? Is she from captain marvel? Who is her mum? Is her mum the lady in civil war?

I think that's my only question
Her mum is Captain Marvel's best friend. Monica is the little girl we see in the film.

el3mel

Her mum is Captain Marvel's best friend. Monica is the little girl we see in the film.
Her mother also seems to be the one who founded SWORD, and was the director before she died out of cancer and Hayward took charge. Also her mother seems to have avoided the snap ? Considering that Monica didn't know about her cancer having a recurrence.

Last edited:

rcoobc

Ah I see. Wonder if they are setting up a "captain marvel gives people cancer" storyline. Not sure that makes any sense though

so why does Monica have powers?

el3mel

Ah I see. Wonder if they are setting up a "captain marvel gives people cancer" storyline. Not sure that makes any sense though

Entering and exiting the hex several times changed her molecules and how her cells work. She entered twice, and exited once, the only character who did that.

Her superpowers are still unclear though.

Rustyspider13

Her mother also seems to be the one who founded SWORD, and was the director before she died out of cancer and Hayward took charge. Also her mother seems to have avoided the snap ? Considering that Monica didn't know about her cancer had a recurrence.
Yeah, Maria Rambeau died of cancer while Monica was snapped. It was pretty fecked up to see Monica come back in an empty hospital room where Maria was supposedly rehabilitating. One of the more effective scenes of the show.

They're definitely not setting up a cancer storyline for Captain Marvel, Maria was just unfortunate. Although it would be quite a watch if the reason why Captain Marvel is off planet is because she gives people cancer :lol:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I still don’t understand those that are raving about it. It was creative, though obscenely self indulgent with it. As a European I’ve little attachment to any of the formats they went with.

Felt like a huge amount of time to see her get some powers. Some interesting thought problems in there.

It was pretty damn average in My opinion.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
As a non Marvel follower I got progressively more bored.

Really interesting until about episode 7. Then all sense of jeopardy / emotional interest in the characters vanished.

rcoobc

I still don’t understand those that are raving about it. It was creative, though obscenely self indulgent with it. As a European I’ve little attachment to any of the formats they went with.

Felt like a huge amount of time to see her get some powers. Some interesting thought problems in there.

It was pretty damn average in My opinion.
I'd have enjoyed it more if it we got to spend A LOT more time in the sitcoms in the 60s, 70s, etc

That would have made the AGATHA stuff much more interesting

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
As a non Marvel follower I got progressively more bored.

Really interesting until about episode 7. Then all sense of jeopardy / emotional interest in the characters vanished.
I'd have enjoyed it more if it we got to spend A LOT more time in the sitcoms in the 60s, 70s, etc

That would have made the AGATHA stuff much more interesting
Yep, I enjoyed it overall but was much more invested in the earlier episodes when it was different to the standard Marvel/Superhero stuff.

Sylar

This thread illustrates why it's hard to please everybody :lol:

Hamnat

This thread illustrates why it's hard to please everybody :lol:
Exactly. I have seen people upset that their fan theories were wrong. And knock the show because it didn't do something they were never promised.

People upset because the first episodes were too "slow". They didn't like the sitcoms. Some mad at the end when it's finally action then its "generic" MCU.

I mean you can't win everyone. I think the creators just have to commit to their process. They committed to telling a deep character story. And were successful in that regard.

Last edited:

Rustyspider13

I can understand the impressions of people who found it middling. At this point, if you're not into the MCU, these Disney+ shows about existing characters won't do much for you. Maybe the shows that star new characters would be a better entry point for non-Marvel fans.

But the fact that most watchers found it at least average speaks to the quality of the MCU as a whole. At its best, it resonates with millions of people. At its worst, it is inoffensive and average. When you compare that to the other cinematic universe efforts, it stands triumphant.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Exactly. I have seen people upset that their fan theories were wrong. And knock the show because it didn't do something they were never promised.

People upset because the first episodes were too "slow". They didn't like the sitcoms. Some mad at the end when it's finally action then its "generic" MCU.

I mean you can't win everyone. I think the creators just have to commit to their process. They committed to telling a deep character story. And we're successful in that regard.
Yep - in the end this series was about Wanda’s story - using her powers to create that world, how she dealt with the fallout from IW, understanding the pain she has gone through her whole life, sacrificing the world she built & becoming who she really was by the end, whilst still barely scratching her real power. It’s the journey for her to become the Scarlet Witch & it delivered on that point.

I had theorised the show would bring in the multiverse & have big cameos, which it didn’t but that didn’t really bother me. When you see the 9 episodes as a whole, it was always about Wanda & Vision’s story, and they got that right. The post-credit scenes teased the wider stuff which was fine by me.

starman

Overall it was pretty good, I liked the setup and follow through to the 7th episode, but it seemed to struggle to changed the tone and ramp up the level seriousness for the 8th and 9th. I don't watch them anymore, but it almost felt like something not too far from a CW show.

Also did they confirm the existence of mutants and in part the possible emergence of the xmen, given that Wanda had powers before coming in contact with the mind stone? Or is she something different as her powers seem to be based off a prophecy?

Minkaro

So, is the fact they have introduced the darkhold mean chthon is confirmed new villain?

It was in Agents of Shield :mad:

The fact that I'm probably the only person to have bothered watching that far is irrelevant. It was also apparently in Runaways, but I've absolutely no idea what that is.

el3mel

I'm among those who didn't like the sitcom that much and enjoyed it more when it turned to usual Marvel.

But different tastes and all I guess.