War-torn Syria on verge of World Cup fairytale

prath92

Not yet. As they have not take up arms against the regime. They only torture and jail them. If you think these countries in the middle east do not torture or jail sportsmen for protesting peacefully then you are in a cuckoo land. let them take up arms and then you see what will happen to them.
I grew up in Bahrain. There were no massacres that killed thousands. The uprising a couple of years back would have killed maybe 100 people. Syria has seen nearly half a million people killed. Not even remotely close.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I'm wondering because a local player to me, Mo Babouli, moved to Syria a few months ago to join a club there.
Wait, what? He's there?! No wonder I didn't hear about him since last season. When did he leave TFC during the off-season?
He plays for Al-Ittihad in Aleppo. That is quite scary, I'm lucky enough to be brought up in Canada so its hard for me to even imagine what it's like in war torn countries. It must be a scary thought for his family to be putting himself in that position.

I believe he has mentioned about wanting to play for the Syrian national team. Would have been nice if he could have got in earlier and contributed to them qualifying.
He's really brave to be playing there at this stage. I'm not surprised that we let him go, but I'd have thought that he would rather have played for a USL side instead of moving out to Syria.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Wait, what? He's there?! No wonder I didn't hear about him since last season. When did he leave TFC during the off-season?

He's really brave to be playing there at this stage. I'm not surprised that we let him go, but I'd have thought that he would rather have played for a USL side instead of moving out to Syria.
We waived him back in April I think. He played a few games for Sigma over the summer and then apparently went to Syria in September. I only just found out last week when I saw his name mentioned on the MLS subreddit. I guess he thought he had to move there to get into their international team maybe. Strange move have to say though. Was expecting him to join one of the CPL clubs when it starts up.

Foxbatt

Of course there were not thousands killed in Bahrain alone but the whole of the middle east. The Now if the same Bahrainis and the Saudis did not send armed mercenaries to Syria, thousands would not have been killed. The same countries who are bombing the hell out of the poorest country in the World, where millions are starving due to the blockade of their ports. What right have they got to interfere in another country?
The same Saudis sent their military and the armour to Bahrain. At least in Syria there is a semblance of an election no matter how rigged it may have been in the past. Now if they have one, Assad is bound to win due to the votes of the non muslim community.

rotherham_red

do you know that most of these are the mouth pieces of Saudi Arabia? The same head choppers who are funding the ISIS and Al Queda in Iraq and Syria?
As for his murdering of syrian people, of course he did and does. But the hypocrisy is that it is only highlighted when he does it. When the Bahrainis and the Saudis massacred thousands of people in their country, it is putting down a rebellion. When Syria does it, it is murdering its own people.
It is murder whoever does it and wherever it is done. When the Americans and the British went in and bombed Iraq and murdered hundreds of thousands of people it is not murder? The difference is that they were not killing their own people but brown skinned asians.
The Aussie Sunday Morning Herald, and ESPN (owned by that raging Salafi Walt fecking Disney) are Saudi mouthpieces? What in the actual?

EDIT - and I have no love for the Saudis so your whataboutery is bullshit. Just because they do disgusting things (like to their Shia population or to the Houthis in Yemen) does not excuse the war crimes Assad and co have done to the Syrian population.

rotherham_red

Of course there were not thousands killed in Bahrain alone but the whole of the middle east. The Now if the same Bahrainis and the Saudis did not send armed mercenaries to Syria, thousands would not have been killed. The same countries who are bombing the hell out of the poorest country in the World, where millions are starving due to the blockade of their ports. What right have they got to interfere in another country?
The same Saudis sent their military and the armour to Bahrain. At least in Syria there is a semblance of an election no matter how rigged it may have been in the past. Now if they have one, Assad is bound to win due to the votes of the non muslim community.
Maybe if Bashar, and before him Hafez, hadn't brutally repressed their own population for generations the country wouldn't be in the situation it is currently in? Fwiw, I don't believe the rebellion should have occurred as the consequences of it have been dire, but to discount the very fecking valid reasons for doing so shows just how much you value human life in Syria... Despicable is the only word that comes to mind.

Foxbatt

You seriously don't know what you're talking about.

Edit: asked for a ban from CE forums so can't reply there, if you want a discussion use pms.
It is not me who started this topic and the line and I was only responding to another OP. I agree this should not be here.