Gaming Warhammer

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I got an airbrush a while back, so at least now a good 30% of mine are primed...
At least it’s a start, I’ve been tempted on an airbrush.

My problem is I start painting then get pissed off and stop when it isn’t as good as I want it to be

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I've been there, or when I make a really dumbfeck mistake that's easily avoided.
Feel like I do that on every model I do. Got an Orruk Megaboss I need to strip because I thought Nuln Oil on white armour would look cool but it just looks awful. Such a good looking model though

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Feel like I do that on every model I do. Got an Orruk Megaboss I need to strip because I thought Nuln Oil on white armour would look cool but it just looks awful. Such a good looking model though
I've seen guys do black washes or inks over white and have it badass, but I can't even get a good white to start with.:lol:

Big fan of the Orruk Megaboss, definitely on my want list.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Is it weird that I used to buy and paint these things but never played a game of it in my life nor understand any of the rules behind it?

There always used to be a Warhammer shop on our high street, do they even still exist?
Nah, not weird at all. Other than Blood Bowl, I've never played Warhammer. I love the universe and the lore, read a bunch of the books and graphic novels, and played loads of the video games, but the table top game doesn't appeal to me. I've watched a few Youtube videos of it in action, it doesn't make me want to play.

There's definitely a divide between people who paint and people who play. I know a bunch of people who play who hate painting, they'll just spray them one solid colour and that'll be it. Some just don't even spray at all. Just glue and that's it.

The non-playing painting community seems pretty huge too. Showing off work on social media seems to have made that crowd grow enormously.

The community that both paints and plays appears to be quite small, and some do act a little snobbish to the players who play with unpainted minis.

Weird crowd, that Warhammer lot.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Blood Bowl is a deeply frustrating game, its RNG on steroids. :lol:

I owned a few models when I was younger, really like the IP, played a lot of Dawn of War when it came out. Worked on a Space Marine Mod for a bit, it certainly is an interesting universe both fantasy and 40k. I keep getting recommended videos on youtube of some amazing looking terrain. Always thought the artwork side was more enjoyable than the game itself which takes so damn long to play due to the sheer amount of rules/dice rolls required.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Yea, Blood Bowl isn't all that fun, I haven't played since high school. I picked up the Blood Bowl II game for the PC not long ago, and it's equally as unfun as the board game.

I wish they'd make a Blood Bowl video game that's less like the table top, and more real-time like Mutant Football League meets Speedball or something. Just use the old NFL Blitz/Blitz The League engine, but add in more Orks and way more bloody permanent death.

Adebesi

I used to absolutely love Warhammer and everything related to it, I used to play Blood Bowl, Dark Future, 40K, the roleplaying game, the lot.

Was always absolutely shit at the painting, but I did my best. But the best thing was the games themselves. Especially 40K and roleplaying, though on the latter side of things, looking back, we didnt really adhere to the rules particularly, it was just me making up stories with my friends' characters as the main cast, rolling dice every so often to see whether they won fights or not. I used to have a much better imagination when I was a kid, I used to be good at writing stories and being a Games Master was basically just doing that without a pen, the way I did it. I had one mate in particular who I used to play with all the time, every time he created a new character he would level up to the status of a god before long.

Absolutely fantastic childhood memories, right there.

I took my son into Games Workshop a couple of years ago, I quite liked the idea of him getting into it, 1) I thought he might genuinely like it anyway, but 2) like all good parents I basically want to relive my youth through him. But alas, he wasnt interested.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Goddamn, this thread has given me an urge to paint something for the first time in about a year, so I've just picked up a box of Necromunda Ambots on my way home today.

That's cash I probably shouldnt be spending on toys right now. Thanks a lot, you bunch of nerds.
Out of interest how big are these? I’m very tempted to pick them up tomorrow :nervous:

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Have they made the Space Marine model taller then?
Yeah they have, their “Primaris” Marine. But lots of people don’t like the fluff behind them that GW have used to justify them rather than just releasing these better scale models and slowly transitioning.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Worth a punt IMO. Lots of variable parts, and they look great. Lots to paint for only £20.
I’ll definitely check them out, not that I need anymore to paint, I’ve got some goblins I really should get through first

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
No you’re right

The only problem is I don’t think I have any fully painted :lol:
I have very few that are 100% as well.

I have quite a lot where I get close, then try to apply finishing touches and highlight the details, and end up overdoing it and ruining it.

I did this one last year, but the more I highlighted the Space Wolf marine, it just ended up looking really blotchy. The more I tried to fix it, the worse it got.

So I usually get to about 80% on most minis, then get anxious about doing the finer details and move on to something new.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Yeah they have, their “Primaris” Marine. But lots of people don’t like the fluff behind them that GW have used to justify them rather than just releasing these better scale models and slowly transitioning.
Nice, they look much better.

Must admit, last time I checked any models out the Space Marine stuff looked much better. The StormRaven is a great model, I enjoyed making that in 3ds.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town

I have quite a lot where I get close, then try to apply finishing touches and highlight the details, and end up overdoing it and ruining it.

I did this one last year, but the more I highlighted the Space Wolf marine, it just ended up looking really blotchy. The more I tried to fix it, the worse it got.

So I usually get to about 80% on most minis, then get anxious about doing the finer details and move on to something new.
For what it’s worth I quite like that blotchy look on the armour there!

But I know exactly what you mean, I usually get a decent base down then mess something up in the details and sack it off. I’ve got one of those new Noise Marine models that I’ve been putting off starting because I don’t want to mess it up.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Aye, they should have just said they were transitioning from hero scale to real scale. I mean, that whole Primaris bunk still doesn't explain why all the Black Legion and Death Guard of recent releases are Primaris size too.
Always the way.

If you don't have unpainted/unassembled minis at home when buying more minis, do you even Warhammer?
This hurts so good.

It's the bases I get way too lazy with. I'll often have a full mini done barring the base, and "eh, I'll get back to that and do a bunch together...."

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
It's the bases I get way too lazy with. I'll often have a full mini done barring the base, and "eh, I'll get back to that and do a bunch together...."
Opposite for me. I love doing bases. I've just done a couple for some Ork Boyz I'm going to paint tomorrow, dry brushed a couple of flat bits of gravel from the garden, stuck them on top of some Agrellan Earth, got a few grass tufts around the rock. They look smart.

Now I just need to find the motivation to paint the Orkz... I wanted to get stuck in to something easy before going at the Ambots since I've not painted in about a year, but I'd rather just do more bases :lol:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Jeez. When I said I liked doing bases, I guess I meant I like painting a disc the size of a 50p coin with some texture paint, and sometimes a couple of stones.

Those are crazy.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
For all the bad that can be said about them, you gotta admit GW are knocking out quality sytuff right now. This whole Black Legion run has been top.
Yeah the new stuff looks amazing, which makes me more annoyed that we still don’t have plastic aspect warriors

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Yeah some of those sculpts are 20 years old I’m sure. Eldred got a new model not long ago but most of the line is in dire need of love.

Got to be time for new Ork Boyz soon too surely

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Just looking at them on GW's site now, Maugan Ra and the Farseers were definitely about when I first started painting in 2002, and they weren't new at that point either.

Though back then they'd have been white metal rather than resin.

Castia

I’d love to get into this. I’ve been into fantasy settings for years (play WoW etc) but I wouldn’t know where to start. I’ve been on the site for the past hour just drooling over the many different armies and models it’s overwhelming.

Is it best to pick one army and just build that up? I’d be more interested in collecting/painting than actually playing.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
I’d love to get into this. I’ve been into fantasy settings for years (play WoW etc) but I wouldn’t know where to start. I’ve been on the site for the past hour just drooling over the many different armies and models it’s overwhelming.

Is it best to pick one army and just build that up? I’d be more interested in collecting/painting than actually playing.
It you're more into the painting/collecting aspect I wouldn't worry about specific armies unless there's one you especially like the look of.

If you just want to dip a toe and test the waters, they do a few packs that have like 3-5 minis and a few paints, brush etc, might be worth a look.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-IE/Scast-Paint-Set-Eng-spa-port-latv-rom-2018

This kind of thing, but I'd have a look around on eBay, Wayland Games, and the like, as they're usually a bit cheaper than buying direct.

Castia

It you're more into the painting/collecting aspect I wouldn't worry about specific armies unless there's one you especially like the look of.

If you just want to dip a toe and test the waters, they do a few packs that have like 3-5 minis and a few paints, brush etc, might be worth a look.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-IE/Scast-Paint-Set-Eng-spa-port-latv-rom-2018

This kind of thing, but I'd have a look around on eBay, Wayland Games, and the like, as they're usually a bit cheaper than buying direct.

Cheers mate I'll have a look.