Gaming Warhammer

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Anyone into it?

I used to love it when I was younger, fantastic stuff, though obviously expensive.

I still thoroughly enjoy the stories and the fascinating 'ye olde worlde,' though I haven't purchased any model in a long time. I still buy the white dwarf on occasions, just to keep up to date.

Kaos

In terms of Warhammer, stopped collecting when I was around 13,

I do still play Dawn of War though.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Top game that.

I'm thinking of getting back into it, but the thing with Warhammer is once I start up again I'll get into a eventual spiral of spending - buying more then I first intended. That's the bastard thing about the hobby.

Cornell

My brother is into this shit. Always stops off at those 'Games Workshop' places and talks with all the other nerds painting their little models.

They're fecking ridiculously expensive too. He bought this metal thing the other day for about $40. I could melt a spoon and mould you something just as useful.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I love Warhammer :D

Collect Wood Elves in Fantasy and Chaos Space Marines in 40k.

It's brilliant :D
Excellent. I love the Wood Elves, they're my favourite race. The models, theme and style are fantastic.

Though I have Vampire Counts - the 'new' Wood Elves weren't released when I started. I'd love to get into them but seeing as I'm yet tp finish off my Vampires I don't think I'll be doing that any time soon.

I also have some Eldar.

They've created two fecking fantastic universes.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
I've owned an army or seven in my time, I even play tested WFRP, my favourite though in Blood Bowl, perfect game

Count Duckula

I love the lore behind it; it's some of the most detailed in the world. The 40k setting is perfect gothic sci-fi, and the Fantasy setting perfect high fantasy. I love the detail that goes into each race and the worlds they populate, fantastic stuff.

bergen

Author of gayest thread 07/08
Nerds!!!

I played 40k until I was 16 or so. Then I started playing counter-strike and didn't have time for both. Around 18 I decided I wanted to be cool so I stopped all that stuff.

My brother is the king of this stuff over here though. Works in the biggest (and only, really) store selling warhammer and comics in reykjavík and organizes all the tournies.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Brilliant fan-made short film, which is only 4 mins long. It's got over a million views, which is amazing for fan-made work.

He's got a full length animated movie up on his YouTube channel too (Helsreach), and rumour has it he's been given the green light and backing to do an official series - Angels of Vengeance (I think).

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
10.5 year bump. That's a contender.

I don't play Warhammer. Magic the Gathering is time consuming and expensive enough.

Oldyella

Bump of bumps!

That video is pretty good for something fan made though.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
I've started getting into warhammer after playing (and loving) the Total War: Warhammer games. Since downloaded a lot of the books (40k and fantasy) and been making my way through the Warhammer fantasy novels. There's a lot of very bad novels tbf, but also some decent ones. I'd like to get into the tabletop a bit more, I can see it being a cool hobby and a lot of fun. But it just seems so expensive.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I've started getting into warhammer after playing (and loving) the Total War: Warhammer games. Since downloaded a lot of the books (40k and fantasy) and been making my way through the Warhammer fantasy novels. There's a lot of very bad novels tbf, but also some decent ones. I'd like to get into the tabletop a bit more, I can see it being a cool hobby and a lot of fun. But it just seems so expensive.
You’re not wrong it is expensive! I don’t play but I paint stuff to clear my head a lot and even that is enough without building whole armies. They do have some games which don’t requires tons of models though which are a little cheaper.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Aye, the books are an absolute crapshoot, but the good ones are really good. I think it's Abnett that's supposed to be the one that's nearly always good.
You’re not wrong it is expensive! I don’t play but I paint stuff to clear my head a lot and even that is enough without building whole armies. They do have some games which don’t requires tons of models though which are a little cheaper.
Then, on the flip side, if you decide you don't need food to live anymore, you can look up 30k on Forge World.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Then, on the flip side, if you decide you don't need food to live anymore, you can look up 30k on Forge World.
Too right it’s ridiculous :lol:

Plus working with resin is shit just to make the extra money even more fun

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Aye, the books are an absolute crapshoot, but the good ones are really good. I think it's Abnett that's supposed to be the one that's nearly always good.
Abnett is excellent. Dembski-Bowden is my favourite 40k author though. Night Lords trilogy is ace.

I played a bit of Blood Bowl in high school which was alright. I've got little interest in playing 40k or Fantasy/Age of Sigmar from the little bits I've seen. Seems a bit slow and laborious. But I do quite like painting, even if I'm not very good at it. Orks are pretty fun and easy to do, Space Wolves are neat too. But then I look at the paintingwarhammer hashtag on Instagram and just think "what? how did you do that?!" and lose all motivation. Some people are just crazy good at it.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Abnett is excellent. Dembski-Bowden is my favourite 40k author though. Night Lords trilogy is ace.

I played a bit of Blood Bowl in high school which was alright. I've got little interest in playing 40k or Fantasy/Age of Sigmar from the little bits I've seen. Seems a bit slow and laborious. But I do quite like painting, even if I'm not very good at it. Orks are pretty fun and easy to do, Space Wolves are neat too. But then I look at the paintingwarhammer hashtag on Instagram and just think "what? how did you do that?!" and lose all motivation. Some people are just crazy good at it.
I've mostly been reading Ultramarine and Death Guard stuff, getting back into it after a long hiatus with that Warhammer Conquest magazine.

I'd prefer more small scale skirmish stuff, where you could customize each guy, rather than having to paint 800 grots. As for the crazy good, reddit is hell, just search "first mini", and see so many fecking great jobs on their first attempt. 90% gotta be lying.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
I used to love reading the books and regularly bought the White Dwarf magazine but never actually bought the figures. Too expensive for my young teenage self.

The Gaunt's Ghosts book series was definitely my favourite.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I liked the old Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying Game. Cool fantasy setting.

They've jumped the shark on the fluff though. When I think of Warhammer, I think of ratcatchers and witch hunters fighting against rat-men conspiracies whilst trying not to get pnemonia from their dung-heaved existence.

Oldyella

I used to enjoy painting too, although haven't for a few years now. It's an excellent way to unwind for a couple of hours and just switch off.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Goddamn, this thread has given me an urge to paint something for the first time in about a year, so I've just picked up a box of Necromunda Ambots on my way home today.

That's cash I probably shouldnt be spending on toys right now. Thanks a lot, you bunch of nerds.

narnar

Needs Help
Used to love love painting these years ago. Unfortunately I could never settle on a single race or army to build a decent squad to battle with. Started with space marines, painted them as ultramarines but must have had a go at blood angels, space wolves etc. As well as that, I couldn't settle on what type of game I preferred. Had some chaos troops and high elves from the "ye olde" warhammer, and some lord of the rings figures when they came out.

Oo0AahCantona

Love it, the game and the media behind it. won a tournie last week as well with a prize pool.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Goddamn, this thread has given me an urge to paint something for the first time in about a year, so I've just picked up a box of Necromunda Ambots on my way home today.

That's cash I probably shouldnt be spending on toys right now. Thanks a lot, you bunch of nerds.
I have never done anything with Necromunda, but damn, these Ambots... Damn...

Nostalgia kicking in here.Used to love collecting ,assembling and painting these small figures.Also went as far as making up buildings and general battle grounds.
Never knew,or had any interest, in learning how to play the game though.:lol:

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Is it weird that I used to buy and paint these things but never played a game of it in my life nor understand any of the rules behind it?

There always used to be a Warhammer shop on our high street, do they even still exist?