Was Carrick better than Busquets defensively?

Righteous Steps

No let's keep it going. If it's a ridiculous argument it should be really easy to dispell.

I think Pirlo is better but I don't think there's a huge gap.
Come on now there’s a big disparity between the two, only thing Carrick has over Pirlo in common with virtually every Dm that has played football is tackling, everything else is not a fair comparison. Pirlo had the skill of the best number 10 playing as a defensive midfielder this means he was a far better passer, far better dribbler, way more press resistant due to a better touch, more vision and generally just a better footballer. He is In a category with Xavi Zidane Falcão Modric, Carrick is like two below.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Can someone get that question on Twitter and get a view from the general public rather than a bunch of Carrick fanatics.

who’s better Pirlo or Carrick

SteveW

Carrick was the ideal CDM. Always reading danger but also with a passing range to move the ball forward quickly and accurately.

Many were obsessed with getting a midfield destroyer instead but I think they completely misunderstood what being a United midfielder is about. Players in the Carrick, Busquets mould offer so much more.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Can someone get that question on Twitter and get a view from the general public rather than a bunch of Carrick fanatics.

who’s better Pirlo or Carrick
Pirlo is in a different stratosphere IMO if we talking overall package but if we are talking purely as a defender then Carrick trumps him.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Busquets broke through with 20 years of age when he controlled United in the 2009 CL final and was pretty much considered the best DMF in the game for a decade (and still starts for Barca every game despite highly rated talents like De Jong). Carrick was never considered anywhere near that at any point of time.

This is one of those discussions restricted to a certain fanbase only like Liverpool fans ranking Gerrard up there with Xavi, Iniesta, Zidane with "if he played for those teams instead of our shitty one" type of arguments.

And on a sidenote. Pep over the top fake-praising all sorts of players is irrelevant. His over the top fake humility is well known.
You overrated Busquets way too much. The one who controlled United in 2009 CL final is Barcelona not Busquets and the main midfield who made it possible were Iniesta & Xavi. Place Anderson & 36 years old Giggs instead of those two in that 2009 final, you won't say such a thing.

Carrick broke through with 19 years of age playing regularly with West Ham in PL. I know it's West Ham not Barcelona but playing as midfield regularly at age of 19 in PL is not something for everyone who is not known for his physical attribute. If Fletcher could breakthrough to United team with Keane & Scholes in it at 19, Carrick who is more talented/gifted would have done the same and may be Carrick could have been more appreciated.

Imagine if Busquets played with Anderson, Cleverley & 36 years old Giggs for years, never mind winning La Liga twice, he would have been rated lower than now. You only called Pep's opinion on Carrick as a fake-praising just to suit your argument.

Davicho

I'm not a Carrick fan boy, but i have to say that he had a unique quality to find one touch forward passes (both feet), that were not spectacular but so effective. Thats why, for example, Guardiola named him as one the best midfielders he has ever seen (when no one was asking him), however most football fans think all the stuff he did were just "simple things".

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Carrick was better than Pirlo as CDM. Pirlo always needed 1 or 2 midfield partners to do the defensive work, Carrick made everything on his own. Pirlo was better at passing, vision and ball control, but he would have not be able to carry our midfield on his own, alongside the likes of an aged Scholes, Cleverley, Giggs or Fellaini for about a decade.
Carrick was. Don't think it's even debatable.
:lol: Pirlo wasn't a DM. He was a playmaking CM and a vastly superior footballer to Michael Carrick. As for 'carrying a midfield' it's such an overrated point. It's as if he gets a bonus certificate for being in a poor midfield. "Made everything on his own"? Is this Michael Carrick or Roy Keane were talking about? Talk about overrating a player.

littleman

Don’t get the fans talking about Carrick being a good footballer and doing simple things deceptively Guardiola praise bla bla bla bla bla

It’s a simple question in the OP

I think not