Was Euro 2020 the best Euros ever?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
1984 with the Platini, Tigana, Giresse era France was memorable.
2000- probably the best
I didn't want to be seen as biased so thank you for posting it. Euro 1980 was also a good one in my opinion, Germany was fairly enjoyable during their prime years, all the other teams had genuinely good players too.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I didn't think it felt like a Euros.

Personally I prefer it when a country hosts the tournament as it feels a bit more unique and theres more atmosphere. This one felt flat with no real identity, hopefully they never do this experiment again.

alquemyst

Don't really think so, especially as it wasn't hosted by a specific country.
Also the quality of the games was very questionable at times. Added to that, the refs were more than questionable. Bar a few games here and there, I found the tournament rather dull.
Hopefully the next one is hosted by a single country and we're all past this covid stuff so we can enjoy it. Until then maybe the VAR thingy will mature as well as some of the decisions during this tournament were outrageous.

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
Some really smashing games. Plenty of high scores, penalties, comebacks, upsets, celebrations and tears (at the end especially)

One of the things that also made it enjoyable for me was following the reaction to the matches on the Caf. Really smart people here and great banter.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I didn't think it felt like a Euros.

Personally I prefer it when a country hosts the tournament as it feels a bit more unique and theres more atmosphere. This one felt flat with no real identity, hopefully they never do this experiment again.
I happen to think it's the best Euros i've seen (as i said in the OP), but yeah, the format was not good at all. And i think they've acknowledged that by saying they won't do it again. How they couldn't see that it would severely disadvantage some teams is beyond me. It was just so random and ill- conceived.

As for what happened on the pitch, i still think it's the best.

Woziak

Ok I’m trying to give balanced view, it definitely was better than 2008 2004 and 2016 but Euro 96 and 2000 were outstanding, what we did see and I genuinely hope it stays for future world cups and Euros was.a new 26 man squads that allowed Managers to pick more attacking talent , less games went to penalties because the 5/6 man sub rule really freshened up the tournament, and probably the bravest team, Italy won and definitely the bravest manager, Mancini won in the end.

Fortune favours the bold, so with France, Uruguay, Brazil, Argentina, Belgium, Italy, Germany, Spain, Portugal and England all having such deep talented squads please bring this same rule to the next world cup.

We might even find a great African side and a surprise US , Japanese or South Korean side who play with high energy benefitting from this rule change too, all true fans around the world want more attacking football, if the biggest pragmatists in football history can change so can all the others and Fifa have to change this rule and whilst doing so, also allow all 15 squad players to sit on the bench not 12 !!

snk123

No.

1. Very few fans
2. France, Germany and Portugal not making it deprived us of real competitive matches
3. No wonder goals, no emerging talent

saivet

I only remember Euro 2004 for England matches to be honest.

I really enjoyed 2008 and this and this one over 2012 and 2016.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
France, Germany and Portugal not making it deprived us of real competitive matches
These three literally all played each other in the group stages.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What was so special about it? I know for me from Sweden we really sucked that tournament before doing fairy well in the next 3.

Is it the final that stand out? I have seen some highlights, but not the full game.
The standard of football was just class. The Holland games against France & Italy really stood out

Devil81

Euro 2008 was an absolute goal fest, I was on a two week holiday in Fuertventura and they were doing a BOGOF deal every time goal went in at the bar in the hotel.

Every fecker was smashed out of their heads in the hotel bar because they were flying in left right and centre. The second week we were there they had to stop the promotion due to the fact they'd given away so many free drinks.

GMoore23

Euro 2000 for me also. That Holland side were a great watch. Best team never to win a major trophy for me.

Paul_Scholes18

The standard of football was just class. The Holland games against France & Italy really stood out
Netherlands at home did really score many goals. Must have been fun to follow. Then go out on pens is just brutal.

How was that game against Italy. A 0-0 game or many chances still?

Acole9

Outstanding
It was a good tournament but no, Euro 2000 was the best.

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Netherlands at home did really score many goals. Must have been fun to follow. Then go out on pens is just brutal.

We missed two penalties in regular time. That's a match we never should've lost.

FattyFooty

Which one was the one with Rooney and Ronaldo arguing?

Wasnt that whole turnament very good?

This was also up there.

Im not sure. I like 92 aswell.

mshnsh

Best Euro was 2000. As entertaining but higher quality. The best players really stepped up: Zidane was in his best form, Figo was excellent, Henry played well, Netherlands had its golden generation etc

This one was a candidate for second place along with euro 2008 and maybe 96. What it lacked was the best players turning up in their best form.

At the other end, euro 2016 and euro 2004 were the worst of those I watched. Euro 2004 was won by an ultra defensive side and the winner of the 2016 edition barely won any match in 90 months minutes. Plus most of the big teams fell by the way side

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
it really wasn't. Most matches were low quality matches yet somewhat entertaining.

Exciting euros? Yes.
Best? No.

Lay

I wish tournaments still had that one outstanding talent dominating

Kopral Jono

Euro 2000 was phenomenal, likewise 2008. This year's edition was better than 1996, 2004, 2012 and especially 2016. I still maintain that European Championships are generally better than World Cups.

Ramos

Crazy, crazy game. Netherlands by far the better side. Early red card, 2 missed pens (De Boer and Kluivert), missing loads of chances.

Then an abysmal PSO for the Dutch. Stam blasting it out of the stadium almost, De Boer missing again (!) and then Totti with a cheeky panenka ...

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
It was pretty average bar England losing. Nothing too special or memorable imo. I really enjoyed 2008, but more so because of my private situation I think.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Another vote for 2000 - heady mix of drama and quality.

2020 is one of the better tournaments though, much improved on 2016 and I'd probably place it ahead of 1996 and 2004 as well.

big rons sovereign

I'd like to say 96 or 2000, but they were peak raving years for me so I don't really remember much of that time.
This year was ok, but theres no real stand out team. Only real surprises are France not getti.g so far and England making the final.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I didn't want to be seen as biased so thank you for posting it. Euro 1980 was also a good one in my opinion, Germany was fairly enjoyable during their prime years, all the other teams had genuinely good players too.
You’re welcome. When I cared enough to get really upset, that French team losing to Germany with the Battiston- Shumacher incident was a pretty exceptional one. Tresor was such a good defender

snk123

These three literally all played each other in the group stages.
Yes, I meant they could not get far deprived us of great heavy weight matches. Instead of Ukraine, Denmark, Switzerland - would have loved to see France, Germany, Portugal or Netherlands. The hype and excitement of "big" matches was missing.

Tiber

Its fair to say that drawing a washed up German side, Ukraine and Denmark gave England their best ever opportunity to win the tournament, but it would take rather more to make it the best tournament in history. The lack of a host nation was also shit.

not saying it was the best ever, but Euro 2004 always sticks out in my mind

DickDastardly

Not even close. Bullshit tournament.

Massive feck up with coronavirus thing.
Second massive feck up with the whole let's fecking play across Europe and Asia with zero hosts but actually letting most of the teams play at home.

No fans. No fan pits. Most fun i ever had was in the city centres and so called fan pits.

Third feck up was qualification - every team in Europe qualified ffs.

Fourth feck up - best third goes through crap.
Second team in the group vs second team in another group.

All that being said, some of the matches were ok.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Agreed that Euro 2000 probably just shades it. That said, Euro 2020 featured probably the single best day of international football ever with Croatia / Spain and Switzerland / France.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
It’s not really traditional tournament football if you can qualify 3rd from a group of 4. Sure it made teams play a bit more expressively and made it nice and fun but that’s because there was no fear of failure. In fact you are rewarded for it. I don’t like the idea of being reward for failure when a trophy is on the line.

Also calling it 2020 in 2021 will never stop grinding my gears.