Was it a foul?

Pogba's tackle on Neves — was it a foul?

• Total voters

redmanc

Pogba's foot was a bit high and yes you see his shin pad move so likely a foul on another day, Neves went into that tackle as hard as he possibly could too and from Mike Dean's pov it really doesn't look all that much as Pogba slides by without so much of any direction change or suggestion of contact initially from Neves, so with the review it wasn't a clear and obvious error unless you slowed it down a billion times and analysed every angle like they did after the match, hence it stood.

Was it a career ending tackle or intentional? Thats just a silly thing to say. Only reason this clown is still on sky sports is for his dumb controversial statements.

TheReligion

Abusive
50-50

Neves wouldn't have gone to the ground if a Wolves player picks up the ball instead of Varane :)
Exactly. He said this post match. He waited to see where the ball fell before he went down.

It's a foul by the letter but I have zero sympathy for Neves as by his own admission the contact wasn't enough to floor him and if he could have reached the ball he'd of happily continued without throwing himself to the floor.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
That’s a yellow card for simulation if anything. Not too different from Son’s play acting last season for the Cavani goal that was chalked off.

UncleBob

That is what is being decided though, you can't pick and choose incidents of could have would have.
It's pretty much exactly what's being done, given that VAR only intervenes in certain situations. VAR isn't going to look at a situation and go "That's an obvious free kick, but the refereeing standards have been shambolic this match so we need to stick by that so it's not a foul"

Ace of Spades

It's pretty much exactly what's being done, given that VAR only intervenes in certain situations. VAR isn't going to look at a situation and go "That's an obvious free kick, but the refereeing standards have been shambolic this match so we need to stick by that so it's not a foul"
But it is not an obvious free kick, not according to the new rules where they are allowing more physical play. It was a 50-50, Neves was nicked but was clearly able to stay on his feet if he wanted and if they are going to be consistent with that then I hope players learn to be more honest and start adapting.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Was minimal contact wasn't it? With the new law being implemented would have been very harsh. I also don't like the still images of any of these challenges. I get that I'm literally looking at the evidence in front of me, but there's something quite deceiving and disingenuous about them.

Gorse Hill Red

50/50 Grazed his shin pad nothing more. The huge delay in his reaction convinced the ref is was nothing and hardly physical. Infact there is more physical contact when being measured for a suit.

Ralaks

Neves reaction was pretty clear. Went down after he realized the ball was lost. If there was any meaningful contact you know he wouldve gone down instantly, as would any player.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Football is a contact sport. Sometimes slight contact happens, that was all this was.

It was never enough for a foul and didn't impede Neves.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Didn't touch him.

Nor did Xhaka yesterday.

One is a red, other is a goal for us.
Yeah yeah, but Xhaka was two footed....

Still.

You either call the foul if there is contact, or you call it if there is intention.
Tbf xhaka deserves a red for just being himself.

Cpt Negative

It looked like Semedo jumped in two footed that no one seems to have mentioned. View from the stand though so could be wrong

I honestly don't think it was. There was minimal contact, if any, and the referee and VAR agreed it wasn't a foul. The Wolves player expected the foul then chose to hit the deck when it wasn't given. Football has been going far too soft for years, with tackling being almost removed from the game. Referees have been instructed this season to allow the game to flow where possible. If that had happened against us, I honestly wouldn't complain.

Ace of Spades

It looked like Semedo jumped in two footed that no one seems to have mentioned. View from the stand though so could be wrong
It was, Sancho avoided it so there was no issue, but yeah that was a similar situation that was waved off. Funny how the ABU media don't highlight that.

@GifLord can you find that incident ?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I thought it wasn't until I saw this image, clear foul.
I honestly don't think it was. There was minimal contact, if any, and the referee and VAR agreed it wasn't a foul. The Wolves player expected the foul then chose to hit the deck when it wasn't given. Football has been going far too soft for years, with tackling being almost removed from the game. Referees have been instructed this season to allow the game to flow where possible. If that had happened against us, I honestly wouldn't complain.
I think that's long been cleared up.

You know you'd be pissed if that pic was Traore on Pogba and they scored from it.

Feck it though, Riley was awful and the Wolves manager wanting Greenwood to kick it out is still making me chuckle.

Kcocymkcus

Wasn't a foul in a million years. Pogba didn't even touch him. You can't go by the theatrics of Neves, jumping up in the air and then deliberately staying down because he knew he had lost the ball and we were attacking. He was playing the ref and should have been yellow carded for that.
If that's all it takes to send a grown man to the ground then I truly fear for the game. What's next? A defender breathing on the back of the neck during an in-swinging corner results in a penalty?? People forget that this is actually a contact sport.

Never was pathetic, should have got an Oscar.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Why was there no thread for that thug Stephens' foul on Bruno the other day? That one robbed us of two points too.

lysglimt

Scout
It was a foul but so was Stephens' tackle on Bruno last weekend so

I think that's long been cleared up.

You know you'd be pissed if that pic was Traore on Pogba and they scored from it.

Feck it though, Riley was awful and the Wolves manager wanting Greenwood to kick it out is still making me chuckle.
Still frames, like slow motion replays, can make things look much worse than they are. Even ten years ago I don't think it would have been discussed. Sometimes there is contact in a contact sport, but it isn't always foul play. If that had gone the other way, I honestly think I would be okay with it. Perhaps I'm old fashioned about the way the game should be played. It just seems that everything is a foul in the modern game. This season, however, referees have been instructed to let the game flow more.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
before the game was good
Up until the goal it was a bit flat - but wolves away is one of the worst
After the goal it was great
Atmosphere sounded pretty good on tv, assume they wolves fans were as up for it as their team was

KGBhoy

Definitely a foul. He catches him and doesn't get the ball. We were unlucky last week and got lucky this time. Don't care.