Was it a foul?

Pogba's tackle on Neves — was it a foul?

• Total voters

icehole

I had to watch it a few times from 2 angles to actually see any contact. If it takes that kind of scrutiny to see nothing but a shin pad moving I'd call it minimal contact and let things proceed.

Reactions: Cheimoon

gza the genius

Technically it probably was a foul I guess, or I can see why it could be called a foul. The contact was extremely minimal, Neves clearly didn't actually feel it and only dove down when he saw he had given the ball away and it didn't actually affect where Neves played the ball. That plus the way the ref had called everything else in the game previously makes me think that there wasn't much in it and the goal should've stood.

Even if you think it was definitely a foul the outrage over it is crazy and extremely disproportionate to what actually happened.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Souness is a tit, it was hardly a “leg breaker” which he must have said at least 50 times!

But it was a foul - Neves summed it up well, Neves hit the ball, Pogba hit his leg.
If it was a leg breaker as Souness claims then Souness would have broken 8 legs every single game he ever played.

UnitedFire

I must have seen it a hundred times now, it’s a foul. It just is

But I don’t think he actually impact on his shin, I think it was all on the edge of the shin guard which was hanging out a little
To be honest, I can't decide. In previous seasons id say benefit of the doubt meant a foul was given. This season the emphasis seems to be on benefit of doubt to playing on.

It does look like nothing more than a flick of the shinpad and its surely unrealistic to assume all contact in a challenge for the ball in that situation is a foul.

Then there is the fact Neves had already played the ball, so you have minimal contact post ball being played.

I think the ref took a view and saw no real contact of merit and Pogba trying to go for the ball fairly. VAR clearly saw the contact but couldn't say it was so bad as to require a review.

End result its probably more fair than the Fernandes foul last week.

jeepers

Would’ve been a foul and a red if there was contact. There was no contact though however.

stepic

Anyone saying that’s a foul is basing it on the old rules. You had to see it in slow motion to even barely see the knee pad move. That ain’t a foul with the current rules. Souness is an idiot.

SirMattlives

Football is a contact sport, I can't understand why folks think this is a foul and in real time nobody watching it with me or the ref who was close, thought it was either. If that was called by the ref, we'd all be scratching our heads wondering what was happening to the game.

Frank Grimes

I was watching a stream and I was sure it wasn't a foul. Having watched match of the day I now concede it was a foul. Was fuming after last weeks decision to not give a foul against Bruno so happy to get a decision go in our favour to compensate.

cyberman

Anybody else notice Maguire taking Tirncao out late after he passes it across from AWB block or is It just me?

42 seconds in

meamth

Was it a foul or not, always knew we have a goal coming.

Wolves didn't finish their chances, that's their fault.

This one moment of the game shouldn't be the determining factor why they didn't get any points.

We had similar decision last week against Bruno, this one is just a balancing act for me.

Well played Mike Dean.

stw2022

Think it was but the fact he went down slowly meant it wasn’t given. Ridiculous really and the sort of thing that leads to players collapsing like they’ve been shot at the slightest touch in the area. Players shouldn’t have to help the referee make these decisions by falling convincingly

cyberman

Think it was but the fact he went down slowly meant it wasn’t given. Ridiculous really and the sort of thing that leads to players collapsing like they’ve been shot at the slightest touch in the area. Players shouldn’t have to help the referee make these decisions by falling convincingly
Maybe the threshold for a foul should be higher? If you’re touched and it doesn’t impede your progress then is it really a foul?
Players may be used to getting them but it doesn’t make it right.

Mercurial

No matter what Neves was frustrated they played well and got a nothing burger for a third match and decided to over dramatize to sway the ref&/VAR. Glad he got a yellow for that histrionic acting and moaning. Glad we scored. Wolves played more rugby than ball half the match. Best win for me in ages. These type of matches win the title.

ashneel

Neves took two full steps looking at the referee and fell like lightning struck him. He can't even dive properly..dodged a bullet with that cnut

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
My eyes didn't see a foul. Ref said not a foul. VAR said not a foul.

That seems fairly conclusive to me. Pogba could have been i trouble if h caught straight in the shin with studs up but he didn't. The fact the player was fine until he threw himself to the ground to try to get the play called back surely didn't help his claim?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
No matter what Neves was frustrated they played well and got a nothing burger for a third match and decided to over dramatize to sway the ref&/VAR. Glad he got a yellow for that histrionic acting and moaning. Glad we scored. Wolves played more rugby than ball half the match. Best win for me in ages. These type of matches win the title.
Neves' ITW was funny after the match, he said it was compensation for what was done to Bruno last week :lol: He should be fined for that, the cnut

Longshanks

I guarantee if it was the other way round noone would be talking about it, and noone would think its a foul.

Infestissumam

Neves was obviously lucky to survive. I'm sure Souness' verdict had absolutely nothing to do with the player involved.

In all seriousness, I don't think it's enough to be overturned by VAR. If Dean whistles it down immediately, I don't have a problem with that ... but it's not a clear error IMO.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Whether it was a foul or not that's a different debate but to say we scored because of that is quite ridiculous. Neves pass actually went to straight to Manutd player and Greenwood scored from a tight angle.

They covered that foul for almost entire post match review and didnt even bother to see the tackle that on Bruno in first half in which Wolves player actually steps on Bruno in penalty box. ABU's are back in force and they are scared of this United team.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Yes for me. Goal should have been chopped off after a VAR check and Pogba given a yellow card. I think there will be quite alot of fouls missed under the new directive and I also think that they will balance themselves out over a season.

That being said I thought Wolves players behaved terribly and were repeatedly diving to the floor once they lost control of the ball. I also felt a few were lucky not to have been punished further for arguing with the ref. I am also delighted that Utd beat them.

Mercurial

Neves' ITW was funny after the match, he said it was compensation for what was done to Bruno last week :lol: He should be fined for that, the cnut
This is the new dictionary definition for 'Butt-hurt'

Charles89

I think what Neves said in his interview sums it up.

Since the impact was minimal, after the challenge, he said he was waiting to see where the ball would land before deciding to go down or not. If the ball had broken to a Wolves player, he would have kept going, but since it fell to a United player, he decided to go down. In which if the challenge really hurt him, he would have gone down regardless.

Therefore, since it's minimal contact, Pogba had a piece of the ball, it's play on for me.

dove

C'mon guys, it's a definite foul :lol: It wasn't a leg breaking challenge but there was contact which you can clearly see from other angles and the studs were showing. Last week we got shafted, yesterday we got lucky with the decision. It's not that hard to admit.

Dyslexic Untied

I think it maybe was, but it could go either way. It is one of those tricky situations, in which Pogba goes in with his foot flat (no studs raised). Neves reaches the ball first, and Pogba's foot sort of glides over the ball as he also slides a bit (which raises his studs). The actual force of the impact is not caused by Pogba, but by Neves going in a 100 % in the challenge (basically shooting the ball at full power). I can definitely see how Neves gets hurt and feels disappointed, but I don't really think Pogba does a lot wrong there. Could go either way, and in keeping with the new line for VAR intereference I think they were correct in not disallowing it.

Redcy

C'mon guys, it's a definite foul :lol: It wasn't a leg breaking challenge but there was contact which you can clearly see from other angles and the studs were showing. Last week we got shafted, yesterday we got lucky with the decision. It's not that hard to admit.
The issue is not whether the foul could be called, or would have in the past, but that the refs seem to be refereeing different. This they would say is based on an actual decision to change how games are refereed.

based on this years rules, the Bruno and Neves fouls are not going to be given. The fact that last week no one mentioned that Bruno was fouled confirms they were happy with that standard, there wasn’t even a poll here for it. The fact that it suddenly gets attention when we benefit is laughable.

Roux

looked like a 50/50 to me - get up and play on. People need to realise slowing clips down always look 100x worse.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
If it was against us the poll would read very different. It was a foul, as was the one last week.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Yes. In the same way it was a foul on Bruno when Southampton scored. But it’s good for the game that fouls aren’t fouls anymore, or something.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Pogba was wreakless and goes in with his foot too high and his studs up which meant when Neves' got the ball first, Pogba ends up going over the ball. Do I think its intentional no of course not, but its was a foul, you can see there was contact with Neves' shin guard, if Pogba's foot is an inch more to the right. its not a leg breaker in this instance cause Neves' foot wasn't planted.

Last edited:

cyberman

Pogba was wreakless and goes in with his foot too high and his studs up which meant when Neves' got the ball first, Pogba ends up going over the ball. Do I think its intentional no of course not, but its was a foul, you can see there was contact with Neves' shin guard, if Pogba's foot is an inch more to the right. its not a league breaker in this instance cause Neves' foot wasn't planted.
Couldn’t that be said of most fouls? Fact is Pogba didn’t catch Neves full on and it wasn’t a leg breaker. There’s a habit in seeing I’m building this tackle up to what it wasn’t instead of what it was.
If his toe grazes his shin guard then it’s not close to a leg breaker

UncleBob

I honestly have no idea how some of you interpret football, especially the bits about touching the ball and contact. It has nothing, whatsoever, in any fecking way, to do with that.

Pogbas tackle attempt is literally the definition of a reckless tackle, it's a freekick. Pogba comes in from the front, mistimes it and lifts his foot too high, more or less a straight leg and with his studs towards Neves. It's fairly fecking thin margins, and some are pretending that it's fine because Pogba barely brushed the ball :lol:

Just before impact:

Shinpad rotating

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
Most biased voting i`ve seen in a long time. :drool: Of course it was a foul. Had it been against us im sure the voting would have been close to 100% yes.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I honestly have no idea how some of you interpret football, especially the bits about touching the ball and contact. It has nothing, whatsoever, in any fecking way, to do with that.

Pogbas tackle attempt is literally the definition of a reckless tackle, it's a freekick. Pogba comes in from the front, mistimes it and lifts his foot too high, more or less a straight leg and with his studs towards Neves. It's fairly fecking thin margins, and some are pretending that it's fine because Pogba barely brushed the ball :lol:

Just before impact:

Shinpad rotating

Is this spot the difference. In the first you can see Dean's ears, the second one you can't

UncleBob

Is this spot the difference. In the first you can see Dean's ears, the second one you can't
I call it "Spot the people who should start watching a different sport, because they sure as feck don't understand football"

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Most biased voting i`ve seen in a long time. :drool: Of course it was a foul. Had it been against us im sure the voting would have been close to 100% yes.
Look we may have got away with it yesterday but last week we didn't...end of story. We also didn't have a poll last week and the only opinions that count are the officials that could or couldn't over rule the on field decision.

If that happens in the Burnley-Leeds game, there'd be no self righteous indignation from pundits. If that was anyone but Pogba, no one would care