Was it the UK that saved European football?

bsCallout

If the report by MD has any substance, it was a financial package exceeding what the English clubs would've got via a Super League that made them abandon the proposed breakaway tournament which excludes Real Madrid and Barcelona. The rumours are that the money is coming from Qatar and Nasser El Khelafi has played a major role in bringing the investment forward from the Middle East. If true, then Khelafi will become the most powerful man in football IMO.

I'd take this with a ladle of salt.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I think the treat of 50+1 saved the day. BoJo for the win

bsCallout

The Germans shown they are well run.

The Spanish have nothing going for them in all this.

The UK stepped up when needed at every level.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I’m not going to pat ourselves on the back too much given what we’ve contributed to getting to this situation but I’m very pleased we got to the right decision on this particular issue eventually

bsCallout

Yes,

the fans who did and do nothing against their clubs being owned by dictators, murderers and criminals.
The fans who are willing to pay the highest amounts of TV money to fund these 500000 pounds a week salaries.
The fans who accept weird match shedules to please China.

Yes, you have saved football!
The salt in this one!

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
The British Parlament definitely had their part to play along with public opinion. Even these owners become small fish in a big pond the moment heads of state get involved.

They may operate in a free market, but legal frameworks can be put in place by those that create the laws to begin with.

MalcolmTucker

Yes,

the fans who did and do nothing against their clubs being owned by dictators, murderers and criminals.
The fans who are willing to pay the highest amounts of TV money to fund these 500000 pounds a week salaries.
The fans who accept weird match shedules to please China.

Yes, you have saved football!
I take your point but I think you'll find at United we did plenty of protesting against the Glazers. It was very much a hostile takeover.

I think the point the OP was making is that if the UK fans, pundits and government officials had the same reaction as the Spanish and Italian's reaction then the ESL may have gone ahead. Obviously the Germans should get the credit for not partaking in the first place but if it was up to our fans, nor would we. Our owners don't represent our clubs.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I dont think UK saved it, but I was very much impressed with how united every fan base was in rejecting this ESL.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
That's your definition of people saying the 'uk saved it' as in the big six saved it after trying to initially ruin it for greed. But that's a definition you've created.
When I think of saved it I think of those Chelsea fans sitting down and protesting and the unified people in this country saying they wont stand for it and the government (im a leftie so no fan of them) trying to stop it from happening. Rio, Neville, Pep and Shaw and the growing murmur of unhappiness from people in football that really matter to us legacy fans.
I'm sure you can find hypocrisy in most things but without the above mentioned happening in this country over the last few days make no mistake this thing would've carried on and who knows what it would've done to football and how long that impact would've lasted. So yea you're welcome.
Yes, the countries that outright rejected the ESL and in doing so cast doubt about the project and gave UEFA some leverage should thank the country whose football culture made it possible in the first place, the country that produced six clubs who actually signed a contract that these other clubs rejected. If only German football was so greedy that the government has to step in. Then we could save football too.

This is one for the English nationalism thread.

"I tried to shoot you but I missed, so I really saved your life and you should thank me for being a hero."

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Will raise a glass of wine tonight in honour of Boris, Murdoch and a couple of Chelsea chavs on the streets for saving Europe.

Feel a bid bad that I don`t have a sky subscribtion to show my gratitude but at least I`m following Gary Neville on twitter!

fck

Supports
Bayern
yes, they helped save it.
The reaction in the UK was genuinely impressive no doubt and they deserve full credit for it.. especially the fans.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
A step by step guide to saving football:
1. Create and support a system based on greed.
2. Drive that system to a point where even a post Brexit tory government threatens to regulate you.
3.???
4. Be the hero.

joi_division

Supports
AS Roma
The UK did save it.

It was interesting how much support the Italians had for the ESL and not just from the Big 3 teams. They saw it as a win that they were finally sticking it to UEFA and an oppurtunity to finally level up with the PL clubs financially. Goes to show what kind of state their league is in. The whole sports based on merit thing completely went over some of their heads on the FB groups :lol:

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Yes, the countries that outright rejected the ESL and in doing so cast doubt about the project and gave UEFA some leverage should thank the country whose football culture made it possible in the first place, the country that produced six clubs who actually signed a contract that these other clubs rejected. If only German football was so greedy that the government has to step in. Then we could save football too.

This is one for the English nationalism thread.

"I tried to shoot you but I missed, so I really saved your life and you should thank me for being a hero."
Uve not read a word I've said and just repeated your previous point.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Uve not read a word I've said and just repeated your previous point.
I did. But the top 6 and their owners didn't just fall from the Sky. It's a system created and supported by the public.
Watch all the reform that's going to come from this, all the fans that will take consequences.
Spoiler: there won't be any. The people, our "heroes", will keep the machine running, buy those jerseys, gobble up those clickbait media articles, pop onto the caf to cry, because the glazes only spent 100m on players and maybe Saudi ownership won't be such a bad idea.
Feed the Glazers and keep the same system going that created this excess until enough time passes for them to try again.

Alex.L

Supports
NoOneReally
UK fans let their clubs run by oil-state clubs and foreign billionaires. This led to the creation of the Super League. There is no way this would have happened without the 6 English clubs participating from the beginning.

The reaction was admirable but while UK has saved the situation, they are also culprit for creating that situation. Making a mess yourself and reacting well doesn't make you a hero. In my opinion, only German Clubs behaved correctly

MalcolmTucker

I did. But the top 6 and their owners didn't just fall from the Sky. It's a system created and supported by the public.
Watch all the reform that's going to come from this, all the fans that will take consequences.
Spoiler: there won't be any. The people, our "heroes", will keep the machine running, buy those jerseys, gobble up those clickbait media articles, pop onto the caf to cry, because the glazes only spent 100m on players and maybe Saudi ownership won't be such a bad idea.
Feed the Glazers and keep the same system going that created this excess until enough time passes for them to try again.
We protested the Glazers and the overwhelming majority of United fans opposed a Saudi takeover with many saying they would stop supporting the club if it were to happen.

Stop talking nonsense.

GueRed

UK fans let their clubs run by oil-state clubs and foreign billionaires. This led to the creation of the Super League. There is no way this would have happened without the 6 English clubs participating from the beginning.

The reaction was admirable but while UK has saved the situation, they are also culprit for creating that situation. Making a mess yourself and reacting well doesn't make you a hero. In my opinion, only German Clubs behaved correctly
Lack of rules and regulations put in place more like. Than just 'the UK fans'

bsCallout

You realise respective fans have been against the Glazers, against FSG and even against Roman(wanting to own/sell the Bridge in particular). Most British fans spoke out against money citeh too.

British fans have always spoken out against ticket prices, against Sky prices(and domination).

This may just be the first time that collectively something has been done, because the cause was so big, this will only further encourage the British public to rally against these other issues.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
We protested the Glazers and the overwhelming majority of United fans opposed a Saudi takeover with many saying they would stop supporting the club if it were to happen.

Stop talking nonsense.
Fair enough. I'll eagerly await the dent the saviors of football will put into the Glazer's profits for trying to kill football.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Fair enough. I'll eagerly await the dent the saviors of football will put into the Glazer's profits for trying to kill football.
Gerenally speaking, I don't think this should be the moment to score points between fan bases, whatever the point.

We should realize that all of us won a battle, but a very defensive one. We evaded something completely horrible for now and are still faced with a mountain of horror.
Yesterday actually made me more hopeful than I could have, well... hoped for. It was a good day for football, and for once English fans, pundits and players contributed plenty.

Silas

Sure, in the way an arsonist "saves" a house they set on fire by calling the fire department after it has half burnt down.
Exactly. :lol:

France and Germany deserve a lot more credit for standing against it from the start. But can't be prouder of the fans (Chelsea especially) in the UK for what they've done.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
What answer would you give to the question you pose yourself in the title?
Read my post again. I was looking for an insight into the reactions from other countries as I have no idea. If the UK had not pushed back so hard, the Big 6 would have gone ahead with it, paving the way for others to get on board more readily.

Alex.L

Supports
NoOneReally
Lack of rules and regulations put in place more like. Than just 'the UK fans'
I agree, my closer thought would be UK as a whole. Rules and regulations comes from the wishes of the interested parties. If the rules don't fit the voices of the fans, then the voices were not strong enough. Fans have been losing power years after years in Europe. This week, the voices of the fans/players/managers have been heard. And I believe everyone is happy about that.

But saying UK saved Europe is a total stretch for me. You can't be culprit and savior at the same time.

Read my post again. I was looking for an insight into the reactions from other countries as I have no idea. If the UK had not pushed back so hard, the Big 6 would have gone ahead with it, paving the way for others to get on board more readily.
I think some people are failing to differentiate the clubs from the fans/ pundits/ people of a particular country.

bsCallout

Exactly. :lol:

France and Germany deserve a lot more credit for standing against it from the start. But can't be prouder of the fans (Chelsea especially) in the UK for what they've done.
To be fair they did only really reject it when the backlash began in the UK.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
German football was the starting reason. These 12 clubs didn't expect Bayern to reject it. PSG I bet we're just biding their time to see what the reaction was, so at least they were smart. But Bayern and Dortmund rejecting it meant that a lot of doubt was thrown in. What kind of super league exists without the current CL holders and one of the biggest, best run, most well supported and most successful teams in the world isn't part of it? Right away it cause doubt for Chelsea and City who only want to win whatever is the most popular competition to stroke their ego.

But of Spain/England/Italy, yeah it was 100% England. They are spineless in Spain and Italy about this. Madrid fans lap up whatever Perez says, there was nothing coming from Italy or Spain until England responded like crazy and even then they still didn't say much about it. Hell, Madrid, Barca, Juve and Milan are still part of it ffs.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
German football was the starting reason. These 12 clubs didn't expect Bayern to reject it.
So how come people are claiming Bayern had no choice but to reject it due to "fan ownership"? Or do you assume the SL creators weren't aware of "50+1"?