Was it the UK that saved European football?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Are there any credible sources behind this though? This is the most believable for me because I can't believe the owners did not anticipate this backlash and would decide to leave the league based on a few protests.

But then again, if this were true, I would think that a few more credible sources would report this. Maybe we'll see this in a few years following a leak.
If I'm not mistaken, RMC in France have reported the below. But I haven't verified the information myself.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I could be wrong, but it feels like the Glazer's have sacrificed Woodward to get their hands on the potential bigger investment. Woodward as usual will take the blame whilst the Glazer's will get their hands on money that is rumoured to be invested by Qatar.

The fans will also be happy due to the narrative being spread that it was them that helped put a stop to it.
I also think that.

Berbaclass

I wouldn't believe a word coming out of Spanish media/journalists about any of this. They will desperately be trying to save face.
It still doesn’t make sense that they just cracked so easily though. They must have been anticipating loads of pressure.

Classical Mechanic

It still doesn’t make sense that they just cracked so easily though. They must have been anticipating loads of pressure.
I doubt they were expecting the government threatening to pass legislation to stop it. The fan reaction was probably a lot more powerful than they anticipated as well. They probably estimated a split of opinion.

Last edited:

Berbaclass

I doubt they were expecting the government threatening to pass legislation to stop it. The fan reaction was probably a lot more powerful than they anticipated as well. They probably estimated a split of opinion.
I disagree personally but that's just my opinion.

bsCallout

The fan pressure hasn't been seen before. Government talk of stepping in. Sponsors dropping out. A lot of key stakeholders would have gotten cold feet.

No way would Uefa have just coughed up that sort of money whilst all that was going on.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Because it is the 'richest' league, not the best. The best league wouldn't have a system where owners can feck over their fans like the top 6 did.
Says the guy whose club annually scoops up the best talent from the Bundesliga. Yeah it may be the richest but also being the best is not even up for debate apart from amongst the most deluded.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
You have seen the thread title I assume? :)
That thread title :lol: :lol:
I don't think there are heroes in this story, which is why I cringe at people who actually put the country/system (and by extension the people that support it ) which are most responsible for this unchecked greed down as heroes, because it turned out that the latest escalation wasn't prepared well enough to follow through.
I don't disagree, it's just very encouraging to see the dynamic in England after the proclamation, the clear reactions and the immediate impact of those. Should be taken as an opportunity to feel more united, among fanbases, in terms of the general idea of how the sport should look like.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I don't disagree, it's just very encouraging to see the dynamic in England after the proclamation, the clear reactions and the immediate impact of those. Should be taken as an opportunity to feel more united, among fanbases, in terms of the general idea of how the sport should look like.
Look at the forum and take your pick between this piece of British nationalism and the "but PSG bought Neymar!!", "but Bayern bought Götze!!" and "but Dortmund pays agent fees!!" whataboutism spreaders. In two weeks time people will be back to sneering about 50+1 and continue to put their money in the pockets of the people who tried to pull this off.

It's like US/UK politics, the people are so caught up in tribalism the ones in charge can do almost whatever they want.

Last edited:

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Are we completely sure this wasn't all just one big belated April fools joke at the expense of spurs and arsenal?