Was Lindelofs foul for Tuanzebe’s goal the correct decision?

First of all I’d have eyes on the ball and jump with who I’m marking.

Secondly if somebody is jumping at me I don’t let him jump into my fecking face without bracing myself.
Why should he jump? There’s absolutely no chance he’s getting anywhere near it. He can’t calculate for Lindelöf getting it so wrong.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Why should he jump? There’s absolutely no chance he’s getting anywhere near it. He can’t calculate for Lindelöf getting it so wrong.
Why shouldn’t Lindelof jump when he thinks he can get the ball or at least be a decoy? Not his fault the defender is away with the fairies. Not tracking his man or looking at the ball.

Ekeke

id look at one of the 2, yes.
He looked at both just like you would. You're only brave on your keyboard you wouldnt ignore if you thought something was about to hit you in the face. Maybe you would ignore the ball completely and just watch in case someone was coming towards you, maybe cowardice does save you but you wouldnt be picked for a football team if thats your mentality.

Why shouldn’t Lindelof jump when he think he can’t get the ball or at least be a decoy?
He can jump, but if he misses trying to be a decoy and knees someone in the face, it’s obviously a foul :lol:

It’s like asking why shouldn’t a defender go diving in for a last gasp tackle and twatting through an opposition player without the ball, cause “decoy”.

The Original

Meh not really! The ball landed on Tuanzebes head who was just behind lindelof and Tuanzebe didn't need to jump really. That's just how it dipped. Lindelof was a foot or so away from it, which is way off considering he never jumped higher in his life... But in general it wasn't far from being a fair goal imo.
That was a standard corner with nothing extra about the way it dipped. What you're missing is that not only does Lindelof get the height wrong, he also gets the direction wrong as the ball is outswinging at the time he is jumping in. This is because he made a speculative jump rather than simply matching the flight of the ball like everyone else has done. This is why he is the only one airborne when other players are simply matching the flight of the ball. The defender wasn't lucky that the ball didn't dip sooner, he was simply correct in his assessment. Everyone else behaved the same way, and Lindelof is the odd one here.

Oranges038

No, Nani, without the Madrid player rushing in, Nani is bringing that ball under control.

Lindelöf is nowhere near the ball.
If this happens where Lindelof is going for a defensive header. But he goes over the top of the top of he opposing player who doesn't move in a similar fashion. It's a penalty or a free out?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Why shouldn’t Lindelof jump when he think he can’t get the ball or at least be a decoy? Not his fault the defender is away with the fairies. Not tracking his man or looking at the ball.
He can jump. He just can't jump, get nowhere near the ball and knee his opponent in the head. Because that's a foul.

JJ12

He can jump, but if he misses trying to be a decoy and knees someone in the face, it’s obviously a foul :lol:

It’s like asking why shouldn’t a defender go diving in for a last gasp tackle and twatting through an opposition player without the ball, cause “decoy”.
Yes, except nothing like that at all.

If this happens where Lindelof is going for a defensive header. But he goes over the top of the top of he opposing player who doesn't move in a similar fashion. It's a penalty or a free out?
If a defender over-grabbles a player without the ball on a corner, it can and should be given as a penalty. So yeah, it’s goes without saying that if a defender knees someone in the head on a defensive corner after misjudging or doing a decoy, it’s a pen.

Ole'sattheWheel

You actually need to pay attention to the ball at europa league level
right...so actual defending comes secondary to protecting yourself?
It's still a foul from lindelof because he puts his knees up so high.

But you are supposed to protect yourself in sport - come on. Being aware of your surroundings - sometimes you will get hurt and its not your fault but your responsibility.
Especially on a corner

JJ12

:D Tbf, it works with Fernandinho and Casemiro all the time.
Except attacking a corner is nothing like ‘twatting’ somebody in a last ditch tackle.

The Original

But you are supposed to protect yourself in sport - come on. Being aware of your surroundings - sometimes you will get hurt and its not your fault but your responsibility.
Especially on a corner
The only question here is whether it is a foul or not. once we agree it's a foul, that's all that matters in the context of the debate.

Oranges038

If a defender over-grabbles a player without the ball on a corner, it can and should be given as a penalty. So yeah, it’s goes without saying that if a defender knees someone in the head on a defensive corner after misjudging or doing a decoy, it’s a pen.
Never in my life seen a penalty given for anything like it. I've only ever seen it given as free out for the standing player impeding the player going for the ball.

Ekeke

Especially on a corner
You shouldnt need to protect yourself from a flying knee when you arent near the ball. You might get caught if you stoop to head the ball thats right there, but even then you dont see players launching themselves forward with their hands on their head to protect themselves. They are completely open to the contact. So no, you dont protect yourself when the ball is in the air

The Original

Never in my life seen a penalty given for anything like it. I've only ever seen it given as free out for the standing player impeding the player going for the ball.
Yeah, today was the first time I have ever seen someone take a flying kick to the face. There is a reason you haven't seen fouls given when a defender fouls in such a manner. It's because it is such a highly improbable way to commit a foul. Moreover, defenders hardly get the luxury of a running start like Lindelof did so executing such a leap would be nearly impossible.

Ekeke

He didn’t do either
He did both. The ball wasnt going to be reached which he decided through following the ball, so he paid attention to what was around him. Just in time to get a knee in the face before the cross was above them

JJ12

Ok, Shaw drives the ball across goal, Cavani makes a desperate slide and absolute smashes a defender, getting nowhere the ball which Greenwood puts in the net.
Of course it’s a fecking foul.
Yes that scenario is a foul. Correct. Not similar to this, again.

JJ12

He did both. The ball wasnt going to be reached which he decided through following the ball, so he paid attention to what was around him. Just in time to get a knee in the face before the cross was above them
It was shit defending that got rewarded.

Brophs

The One and Only
You shouldnt need to protect yourself from a flying knee when you arent near the ball. You might get caught if you stoop to head the ball thats right there, but even then you dont see players launching themselves forward with their hands on their head to protect themselves. They are completely open to the contact. So no, you dont protect yourself when the ball is in the air
:lol: :lol:
I mean, you're right, but it really shouldn't need saying.

Nick7

Do you think the Sociedad penalty should have been a free kick to us?

Oranges038

Yeah, today was the first time I have ever seen someone take a flying kick to the face. There is a reason you haven't seen fouls given when a defender fouls in such a manner. It's because it is such a highly improbable way to commit a foul. Moreover, defenders hardly get the luxury of a running start like Lindelof did so executing such a leap would be nearly impossible.
So you'd be happy for the referee to award a penalty against a Utd player for something like that?

Do you think the Sociedad penalty should have been a free kick to us?
Yeah, why not? Of course it was.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Lindelof is going for the ball and the defender is in his way. I'd argue that it was a foul against Lindelof not him fouling. The defender is standing in his way and under cutting him. No way is that a foul against Lindelof. Sorry that the guy took a knee in the head, but that's what happens when you stand there doing nothing...