Was Rashford considered a big talent when he was younger?

lsd

The Oracle
I remember watching him the milk cup in Derry and he was the only one that i heard about before that tournament started . There was certainly a buzz about him .

Thinking about that there was another guy playing for us during that cup that everyone was talking about especially the staff a guy called Oscar Borg that looked and played a bit like a young Gareth Bale . He seems to have dropped off the face of the earth though

jb8521

I remember watching him the milk cup in Derry and he was the only one that i heard about before that tournament started . There was certainly a buzz about him .

Thinking about that there was another guy playing for us during that cup that everyone was talking about especially the staff a guy called Oscar Borg that looked and played a bit like a young Gareth Bale . He seems to have dropped off the face of the earth though
Borg was only on trial, we decided not to sign him & he joined Villa from West Ham

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Interesting thread.

In talking about hype players I always remember from around that time lots of hope on a CB called Tom Thorpe. My mate who's a bit Man. United fan was constantly going on about him being the "new Steve Bruce" around 13/14 period. Thought he'd be better than Michael Keane who started breaking through around that period and has forged a decent career for himself in the premier league and for England.

Think Thorpe had loan spells at Birmingham and Rotherham, got some injuries and was one of the few young players who didn't really get a game in the 15/16 season under LVG. No idea if he's even still in the game now without looking at wiki.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

We (Villa) signed him from West Ham in our relegation season but never came close to making an appearence. Playing somewhere in europe now.

SoCross

Interesting thread.

In talking about hype players I always remember from around that time lots of hope on a CB called Tom Thorpe. My mate who's a bit Man. United fan was constantly going on about him being the "new Steve Bruce" around 13/14 period. Thought he'd be better than Michael Keane who started breaking through around that period and has forged a decent career for himself in the premier league and for England.

Think Thorpe had loan spells at Birmingham and Rotherham, got some injuries and was one of the few young players who didn't really get a game in the 15/16 season under LVG. No idea if he's even still in the game now without looking at wiki.
Ahhh Thorpe. Had so much hoped for him!

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
There's an article in the Athletic posted on Sunday where the chairman at Fletcher Moss said that if he thought Rashford was nailed on to be a first team player at United from being a kid he'd be lying.

SoCross

Injuries didn't help but he obviously didn't want it enough, last seen playing in India a few years back.

Remember his debut at Melwood as a 15year old, don't think i've seen a better debut by any player, in any position for the17/18s before or since.
India? Damn. Didn’t know that. Pity he couldn’t break through under LVG, he was on the bench and then the injuries. Will never know.

thepolice123

Out of all the attacking players that broke through I think he had the least inital hype but it was clear from day 1 that he had the best mentality imo. Apart from being extremely competitive and ambitious, he had that natural aggressive and killer instinct which the likes of Januzaj, Macheda and Welbeck lacked.

It helps that he is rapid as feck too. Never lost any of that pace once he bulked up.

Castia

I'll be honest, I hadn't heard of him before his first team debut.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
I always think when you look at this photo he must have been highly rated if he was getting in the England team when he's so much smaller than the other guys.

Edit: Names if anyone interested- Joshua Onomah, Denzil Boadu, Marcus Rashford, Dominic Solanke, Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, Joseph Gomez, Easah Suliman, Callum Cooke, JonJoe Jenny, goalkeeper Dean Henderson.

EwanI Ted

If memory serves he was considered a good prospect but wasn't particularly seen as someone head and shoulders above the other players of his age. I think the hype around James Wilson for example was much higher a couple of years earlier.

But it just shows you, a huge part of the game is psychological so its really hard to judge who will be a success when they reach the senior team. His form may have been up and down since he broke through, but its clear that he's someone who thrives at the highest level, when other players are cowed by it.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
If memory serves he was considered a good prospect but wasn't particularly seen as someone head and shoulders above the other players of his age. I think the hype around James Wilson for example was much higher a couple of years earlier.

But it just shows you, a huge part of the game is psychological so its really hard to judge who will be a success when they reach the senior team. His form may have been up and down since he broke through, but its clear that he's someone who thrives at the highest level, when other players are cowed by it.
Neither was Joe Hart .... I'll get my coat

The_Order

Lets see if other hopefuls like Jesse Lingard can follow in his footsteps.