Was Sanchez our worst ever transfer?

spiriticon

Yes for me.

Lost out on a fee for Mkhitaryan and those mind-boggling wages...jesus christ.

stu_1992

In terms of excitement versus what we actually got from it? Possibly yes. It was touted as the signing that would help us push on that season and catch up or even surpass City. Instead we went the complete opposite way. And that's without even mentioning the massive elephant in the room, the money. Absolutely outrageous wages which were nowhere near deserved, and worse than that seemed to cause serious discontent in the dressing room. The other aspect is it benched Martial at a time when when was playing quite well and could have pushed on (though debatable under Mourinho I suppose).

Literally has one good moment that I recall off-hand, a goal against Spurs in a FA Cup semi-final and thats about it.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Schweinsteiger for me too. The thing with him is that it wasn't just his own performances, he was LvG's man on the pitch that led his whole appalling anti-football strategy. It took me a long time to get over those two and begin actually liking football again.

Acole9

Outstanding
I said this earlier in another thread but based on the salary he was on and the expectation too I'd have to say yes.

Bobski

Might be the worst transfer in football history let alone Utd.

hobbers

Yes.

Can't have him in the same league as Schweinsteiger and Falcao for financial reasons. Can't have him in the same league as Di Maria because he at least had a good start and just imploded due to his spinelessness, but we still recouped a decent fee for him.

We paid Sanchez almost the highest wage in football, for 2 seasons, for literally no return, and then paid him off what will probably be the highest contract buy-out of any footballer ever.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Yes, and it's not even close. A combination of how bad he was, how much his wages cost us, and how badly he impacted Martial and Rashford's development (not necessarily his fault since it's on the manager, but his purchase basically cost them both 12 months of proper development). Put all that together and his time with us doesn't really have any positives. Even Di Maria started well and we recouped most of the transfer fee with him.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Yes. The expectations from everyone, the fact he’d done well at Arsenal so not like he had to become accustomed to the PL & the ridiculous wages. Complete flop.

keithsingleton

Hard to think of another player who flopped as badly while costing us so much. I'm sure some will mention Veron but he did have some good games in the CL at least, whereas I can't think of a single good game Sanchez had.
Unfortunately your probably right. I remember his first game for us though, he was running around like a headless chicken all over the park. Arguably his best game and thought we've got a right talent on our hands.

I just can't work out where it went wrong for him. Didn't need any introduction, already proven. Was it our fault the way we played him? I really just don't know. I wish him well though and hopefully United learned a lot and don't make the same mistake in relation to his wages again.

Tel074

Sanchez scored plenty fo goals a couple of seasons after as well. It wasn't meant as he was useless immediately a year after, but Rooney in 2014 wasn't half as good as in 2011.
What's Sanchez got to do with you saying Rooney was more or less finished when he clearly wasn't

AneRu

Might be the worst transfer in football history let alone Utd.
This we gave Mkhitaryan away, gave him a huge contract, paid a significant portion of his wages and have now given him away. All that for what? Five goals?

Giggs' right foot

Yes. Money and expectation plays a role in regards to biggest flop - obviously Obertan or the like was wank, but we knew he’d be. Sánchez on the other hand was bought with a circa £25-30mil. player in Mkhi and on top of that, was on a 350k-a-week contract. We must have paid around £26mil. in wages, alone from January 2018, to summer 2019 when he was at the club, and we probably paid at least half his wages this season whilst playing for Inter. God he was expensive. God he was useless.

Reactions: Jippy

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Woodward wanted 20m for him in July, then 15, now he is leaving for free.
Inter can't match his wages at United so his valuation at 15m is used to make up the wage difference. This isn't rocket science.
Is there a single source that suggests United have bought out his contract? All I have seen is that Sanchez is taking a pay cut.

Edit: I think you're right you know it might be a partial pay out.

Last edited:

LVGSdive

Hard to think of another player who flopped as badly while costing us so much. I'm sure some will mention Veron but he did have some good games in the CL at least, whereas I can't think of a single good game Sanchez had.
Sanchez was declining at Arsenal and we paid a Kings ransome for him. He wasn't the worst signing per se talent wise, but considering his wages, his signing bonus and what he delivered, I would have to say he is the worst signing.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
No we didn’t. That’s nonsense. Why would we do that? It would make no sense at all.

What we did do is sacrifice a transfer fee for him. He had 2 years left so we would normally expect a fee from Inter. But we decided to cut our losses and let him go for free because we would save over 60m in wages for his last 2 years. It makes financial sense. Sometimes you have to cut your losses and minimise the damage.
Because sometimes players won't leave unless they're paid 100% of what they're owed by their contract, so if he put you in a situation like Bale (either stay and earn the full contract or let me leave for free to a team that, at least, pays me as much) then you'd be stuck with him since no one would pay him as much as United.

The lesser evil for the team in those situations, is to cut loses anyway they can, that's when players can present the offer from another team, and you have to say "ok, leave and we'll cover the difference between your new contract and the one you had with us". Real Madrid had to do this to get rid of Casillas and Raul for example, and it's basically how the NBA works with bought out contracts.

TrustInOle

Yes, by some distance. Wish we would have let pep have a free run for him at the time, sigh, hindsight is a beautiful thing.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Is there a single source that suggests United have bought out his contract? All I have seen is that Sanchez is taking a pay cut.
I read on BBC the 40 Million salary owed by the club was made up by an extra year with Inter, pay cut and a pay off from United.

No idea if correct or just speculation.

dove

Sanchez/Mkhi swap must be one of the worst in history too :lol: Both of them were so shit that had to be loaned out a year later.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He's up there as the worst transfer in English football, outright, nevermind for Manchester United.

The only saving grace is him being a 'free' transfer.

Fracture90

Yeah, he was poop on the pitch and we lost fair amount of money on him as well. Some other flops we managed to recuperate majority of what was spent on them.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Yes, by some distance. Wish we would have let pep have a free run for him at the time, sigh, hindsight is a beautiful thing.
That's what makes this transfer even worse than the performances and wages, City were going to sign a bomb that would create problems for them, eat at their wage cap and hinder other wingers development and United took the hit for them.

Fracture90

Stone saying that we had to pay him (Sanches) off in order to cancel the contract mutually. Mourinho, the gift that keeps on giving...

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Sanchez was the most disappointing transfer, but ADM just shades it for me due to his hideous ears.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I read on BBC the 40 Million salary owed by the club was made up by an extra year with Inter, pay cut and a pay off from United.

No idea if correct or just speculation.
Interesting, maybe I'm wrong then.

Sanchez must be loving life, rest of his contract paid and onto a new one.

Why would we do that and not just loan him again? Inter would surely cover 50% again and even if no one did we could just ship him off and cover 100% if it came down to it?

Edit: apparently a partial payout which makes sense.

Last edited:

DarkLord

I forgot Falcao played for us to be honest. Schneiderlin and Bailly are up there for me, might not be as high expectations but they weren't cheap either.
I forgot these 2 existence, shows how irrelevant they were for us.

Gopher Brown

When Di Maria left very few of us showed any good will towards him, and we still do not like him one bit. There was a perception that he never really tried for us.

I think with Sanchez most of us just feel a bit sorry for him (despite his salary). He definitely tried, but it was like he was running in treacle with Luke Shaw on his back. It was like watching a old dog who can’t understand why his back legs can no longer support him.

In summary, Di Maria was his fault, Sanchez was our fault. I think that makes Di Maria worse.

Red Stone

We should just never sign another South American ever again. Rafael, Fabio, Valencia and Romero have a case for being decent transfers, but none of them really pulled up trees here. Considering the level of talent coming from that region in general, having four arguable success stories is a pretty piss poor record.

On the other hand you have Veron, Di Maria, Tevez, Heinze, Anderson, Kleberson, Sanchez, Rojo, Forlan, Falcao, Pereira, Fred and Varela who were either:

a) complete and utter shite
b) snakes who left a sour taste in our mouths in the end
c) massively overpriced
d) several or even all of the above

AneRu

Interesting, maybe I'm wrong then.

Sanchez must be loving life, rest of his contract paid and onto a new one.

Why would we do that and not just loan him again? Inter would surely cover 50% again and even if no one did we could just ship him off and cover 100% if it came down to it?

Edit: apparently a partial payout with makes sense.
I am sure we paid something much less that the value of his deal.

sp_107

Not only this but we had few blunders in last few years

Extending Phil Jones contract to another 4 years(2 years would be a better one)
Extending Mata for another 2 years (1 year would be a better one)
Giving high contracts to players like Shaw/Lingard when no other clubs can pay that much money to them
Giving Rojo a good long term contract
When there was no pressure from any other clubs, giving DDG a 350K week contract and now we need to increase other players like Martial/Pogba/Rashford to this level next time
Unable to negotiate properly with other clubs while buying or selling.

*Hope we can give reasonable basic salaries but more trophies/performance based bonus payments.
A proper DOF can fix these issues.