Was Sanchez our worst ever transfer?

sp_107

heard we paid additional 9M to Alexis to get rid of him. I really hope Ed wont repeat same mistakes.

I dont mind paying money to top players but there should be a proper structure like CAP on max base salary but pay the additional stuff through image rights or performance based bonuses.

Jonno

Deffo the worst transfer in history of this football club. At least we recouped money from Di Maria, at least Falcao was on loan, etc.

The saving we've made now can pay Sancho's wages for the next 6 years.

jackal&hyde

Probably yes. But i don't blame the club or him. As a club we got him as the best player in the league and as a player he seemed to give his all. IMO it was more to do with the toxic one; Sanchez was a player used to attack and now here he is playing in a negative side; his interest faded IMO and it was awaken only by changing environments. Sanchez is but another in the list of top talents that mou has failed to use correctly and lost focus.

Rolledo

Yes. And to me the signing of Sanchez epitomizes Mourinho as a manager, the latter years at least. He was not what we needed, not by a long shot, he didn't fit into any sort of team-building, all he was was a big name and available. Mourinho to me is more often than not looking for the finished article (and then some) when signing players. He even signed Falcao after he flopped with us.

ROFLUTION

15m for Miki
£unknown signing on fee
agents fee

350k per week for 18 months = £26.6m
£200k per week contribution whilst at Inter = £10.5m
£5-10m pay off to get rid of him.

That’s approaching £70-80m.
Transfermarkt has it both at 30m gbp both ways (Straight swap)

Could also be no big agent fee, but likely a good sum. 5m? Daniel Taylor wrote that we pay Sanchez a yearly sign on fee of 1.1m. Would think that an initial big sign on fee would be baked into such a high wage too.

Sauce on the get rid fee? Do we know we've paid 5-10m to get rid of him? we cut off our valuation of 15-20m in transferfee, so if no source, it sounds a bit off.

So thats:

agent fee, guesstimate: 5m
annual 1.1 signing on fee: 2.2 in total
391k a week x 18 months: 20.3m
67 games for us x 75k a game = 27.5m

total: 55m gbp Before what we contributed to at Inter with his wages. Thought it was a bit less, so yeah probably not a great transfer.

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportsjoe.ie/amp/football/alexis-sanchez-wages-man-united-171941

Dante

Average bang
He probably is. Trading blows with Di Maria
I will never question Sanchez's application in being determined to be a success here. He really did run himself into the ground but his key footballing attributes/skillset just seemed to escape him completely.
Much like Rooney I guess.
I broadly agree with these two posts. Sanchez and Di Maria are our two worst transfers.

But the thing that Sanchez has in his favour is that he actually tried.

That makes Di Maria worse because he didn't give a shit on top of being terrible.

Transfermarkt has it both at 30m gbp both ways (Straight swap)

Could also be no big agent fee, but likely a good sum. 5m? Daniel Taylor wrote that we pay Sanchez a yearly sign on fee of 1.1m. Would think that an initial big sign on fee would be baked into such a high wage too.

Sauce on the get rid fee? Do we know we've paid 5-10m to get rid of him? we cut off our valuation of 15-20m in transferfee, so if no source, it sounds a bit off.

So thats:

agent fee, guesstimate: 5m
annual 1.1 signing on fee: 2.2 in total
391k a week x 18 months: 20.3m
67 games for us x 75k a game = 27.5m

total: 55m gbp Before what we contributed to at Inter with his wages. Thought it was a bit less, so yeah probably not a great transfer.

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportsjoe.ie/amp/football/alexis-sanchez-wages-man-united-171941
A lot of it’s guesswork.

Was reported yesterday by the BBC that they thought the payoff would be between £5-10m.

£391k per week for 18 months by the way is £30.5m

starman

Worst, as in spending so much on a player that was clearly in decline, we all laughed at Chelsea doing it with Torres....

Most disappointing for me is still Veron followed by Di Maria, Veron particularly was exceptional in Italy which was probably the best league at the time, so to come to England on a massive fee and was pretty subpar was quite deflating, luckily we had players already here to make up for it

Web of Bissaka

The worst and most hated.

Why the f- do we had to paid him just so he'll leave. I know it's likely because of the "legal" contract intricacies thing.

No class from Sanchez's camp. They could've just refuse and settle for none. Feck off.

Easily our worst transfer ever.

Green_Red

It wasn't a permanent transfer but I was more disappointed by Falcao at the time. He offered nothing.
Yea he was utter shite. Why we even signed him, and on loan too, small fries really.

Why the f- do we had to paid him just so he'll leave. I know it's likely because of the "legal" contract intricacies thing.

No class from Sanchez's camp. They could've just refuse and settle for none. Feck off.

There are 5-10 million reasons why they went for a settlement. It’s not as if he has any love or respect for the club, he wanted to milk us for everything he could get.

In Rainbows

I broadly agree with these two posts. Sanchez and Di Maria are our two worst transfers.

That makes Di Maria worse because he didn't give a shit on top of being terrible.
I don't care about that. Di Maria was sold for money. Sanchez wasn't. That just shows how awful the Sanchez transfer was. Sanchez trying doesn't make his transfer better, it just means you won't dislike him as much as you dislike Di Maria. That's irrelevant to this discussion though.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

No one would just write off millions of pounds owed to them.

Lentwood

The people who are putting Veron in the same category as Sanchez are clearly going off what they have read and did not actually see Veron play for Utd

By current standards, the Veron transfer would have been a roaring success, just couldn’t nail down a regular position in a midfield which already included Beckham, Giggs, Scholes and Keane

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I quite liked him tbh. And I loved his playing style.
He was a very underrated player in our CL win. I dont understand why alot of people dont rate him decently for that season alone even if he was injured alot. He literally joined to add a bit more defensive hard working stability in midfield and it showed in our play.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
He was a very underrated player in our CL win. I dont understand why alot of people dont rate him decently for that season alone even if he was injured alot. He literally joined to add a bit more defensive hard working stability in midfield and it showed in our play.
I know - he was a fantastic defensive midfielder. Had he not been injured I'm sure we would have considered him one of the greats. I always thought our medical department and SAF really messed up by making him play through the pain. Or maybe Bayern just really sold us a pup.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Tellingly all the worst signings and most expensive mistakes in our history have come since Fergie retired. We also gave the competition the march on the best players of the next generation while Fergie was winding down. We didn’t plan well at all. Ideally we’d have let Fergie pick a few top young players to leave the next manager and he should have stayed on until Klopp became available and went all in. Hindsight is 20:20. Hopefully we are turning the corner now.

Tellingly all the worst signings and most expensive mistakes in our history have come since Fergie retired. We also gave the competition the march on the best players of the next generation while Fergie was winding down. We didn’t plan well at all. Ideally we’d have let Fergie pick a few top young players to leave the next manager and he should have stayed on until Klopp became available and went all in. Hindsight is 20:20. Hopefully we are turning the corner now.
Well transfers are a lot more than when Fergie was at the helm.

We had our fair share of expensive flops whilst he was in charge as well. Veron, Taibi, Blomqvest, Hargreaves, Kleberson, Bebe etc. Not to mention lots a cheap rubbish buys like Owen, Djemba x 2, Bellion, that other french winger we sold to Newcastle, Liam Miller, Powell etc.

davidmichael

Well transfers are a lot more than when Fergie was at the helm.

We had our fair share of expensive flops whilst he was in charge as well. Veron, Taibi, Blomqvest, Hargreaves, Kleberson, Bebe etc. Not to mention lots a cheap rubbish buys like Owen, Djemba x 2, Bellion, that other french winger we sold to Newcastle, Liam Miller, Powell etc.
I always find it mad when people say Hargreaves was a flop because he wasn’t and was vital to our Champions League/Premier League double in 2007/08 but after that his injury problems struck, he never really recovered from the big injury the year before we signed him but he was still a big part of arguably the greatest squad we’ve ever had in our history.

I wouldn’t consider Blomqvist a flop either as he was basically signed as back for Giggs rather than a replacement for him or Beckham, much like Hargreaves he was a squad player that filled a role and played in a Champions League winning squad and played in the final.

E-mal

Assuming Sánchez is now eligible to play against Utd in the Europa, best we hold back on the slating should we meet Inter in the final.

As bad as he was for Utd, he could well bite us on the arse.
Feck him and I hope he gets worse for trying to milk us dry.
He gave up trying.

Member 113277

It wasn't a permanent transfer but I was more disappointed by Falcao at the time. He offered nothing.
True, but he still seemed to be suffering the effectis of his injury - he improved after he left us - sad, I had high hopes for him.

Eugenius

He doesn't follow a single current man utd player on Instagram (nor do any of the Utd squad follow him really). Seems very disliked in the changing room.

Rake

Yeah, but Sanchez trying an being such utter shite just begs the question what went wrong with scouting end player evaluation. At least Di Maria couldn't be bothered (not that there weren't red flags there as well.)

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
He doesn't follow a single current man utd player on Instagram (nor do any of the Utd squad follow him really). Seems very disliked in the changing room.
Jesus Christ. Look you are probably right and it is a thing but feck me I hate everything now.

Remember when Teddy Sheringham and Andy Cole just fecking hated each other and they just got on with it?

KeanoMagicHat

Yes, disrupted so many things at the club, knocked Martial out of the team when he was playing well and put his development back a year. Ruined the wages structure and probably led to Pogba being unsettled and De Gea being overpaid. Then on the pitch he was really terrible.

cyril C

Probably yes. But i don't blame the club or him. As a club we got him as the best player in the league and as a player he seemed to give his all. IMO it was more to do with the toxic one; Sanchez was a player used to attack and now here he is playing in a negative side; his interest faded IMO and it was awaken only by changing environments. Sanchez is but another in the list of top talents that mou has failed to use correctly and lost focus.
Who should we blame?

Sanchez was one of the best player in EPL and was on marginal decline for sure but on paper should have a few years behind him, that's why this Club and many others, have their 30y old policy.

Problem was on integration into the team i.e. how to make the best out of him, while the entire team can benefit with his service. This never worked out, because we expect Sanchez to plug and play. In reality, Arsenal built their team around Sanchez, hence got the best out of him.

The same argument would go for Messi Vs CR. CR is more of a plug and play player, who can fit into any team, provide that you cover for his weakness. Messi on the other hand, need the entire team to build around him.

Back to the blame question - when we recruit a player, whether senior or junior, we better have a clear idea on how this player can fit in, or whether we are prepared to change our structure to suit him. Was this ever discussed between Woodward and Mourinho?

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
He looked like he would be a good signing as long as he would play on the RW. But of course, Mourinho replaced an in-form Martial for Sanchez on the left wing and took too long to realize Sanchez just wasn't up to snuff. He not only cost a ton of money in wages, but he also took development time away from Martial and Rashford. Easily one of the worst signings, but I couldn't say if he was the worst of all time.

Snuffkin

Yes. And to me the signing of Sanchez epitomizes Mourinho as a manager, the latter years at least. He was not what we needed, not by a long shot
We were living under the spectre of Moyes who couldn't sign anyone. The transfer muppets needed silencing. Miki was also a Mourinho signing. Again a way to keep fans happy when they are most bored and frustrated. Mourinho had the backing of the Stretford end because he let them control things. He should have just signed big ugly defenders. In fairness he tried to get Maguire but probably had blown his budget on shit. I never saw Mourinho connect with any of his players when he was here. He did connect with some Fans though. It was us that 2wanted Sanchez and it looked cheap at the time because Miki was dogshit.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Won that Manchester Derby at the Etihad for us, creating all three goals nearly out of nothing. Good game vs Spurs in the FA Cup semifinal, scoring one and setting up the other. Great goal and decent performance vs Arsenal too, I think in the FA Cup. In his first couple of games some posters were saying he was easily a cut above our other players. Exaggeration to say he didn't have a single good game.

He was declining and a terrible fit for how Mourinho wanted to use him (starting deep and trying to outpace defenders on the wing), and financially it was a disaster; but there were ways to get more out of him.

If not for his wages I'd have him as striker rotation.