Was Sancho a bad signing?

HookedOnAPhelan

Absolutely this.

No doubt that Sancho is a good player with bags of potential. In this right system and under the right manager, he may even prove to be a world class player. But realistically, facts do not lie, Liverpool have got a better player for exactly half the price. Why do we keep getting our pants pulled down like this? What are our recruiting and scouting network doing?
Diaz has come into an extremely well-organized team flying high and with a style of play he was specifically signed for - the complete opposite of Sancho.

To conclude he's a better player than Sancho on the basis of their performances this season is ludicrous. There's a reason why nearly all of Liverpool's signings seem to go up a level when they arrive at the club, and ours seem to be going to shit.

Having said that, I've always been a bit skeptical of Sancho. Loads of potential obviously, and in terms of technique and intelligence he's excellent, but he's always seemed to lack a bit of edge and intensity, and that part of his game needs to improve if he is to fullfil his potential. Hopefully EtH is the man to bring that out of him (and the rest of our players).

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Before he signed last season I predicted exactly how his first season would pan out and that before the season ended we’d have this thread pop up.

I said he’d come in, look nowhere near as good as he did for Dortmund and someone would start an “is he all that?” Thread :lol:

Hughes35

He's not had a great season but absolutely nobody has..... Only maybe the greatest player of all time has had a decent season, and a goalkeeper that thrives when we are bad because he has more to do.

I still think Sancho is a very good player and if he was at Liverpool or City he'd look completely different. I still have hopes ETH can bring another level out of him.

Tarrou

Now Ole is gone and we are yet to sign any additional centre midfield?
nothing that happens after Ole was sacked means anything in the context of whether signings were good or bad for Ole

and it's already way off topic so lets just agree to disagree on this one

wolvored

You can compare him with Grealish, another player we were linked with. He hasnt set City alight and has probably spent more time on the bench than played. Some players stand out being the big fish in a small pond and when they step away from that to a bigger environment their actual level stands out.
Saying that Sancho surely will look better this time next season with some proper coaching, although still might not get the numbers he got at Dortmund.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
The club has so many resident pariahs right now (Maguire, Pogba and Rashy to name just three) that Sancho is adequately protected as consequence from much of the criticism that he would otherwise be given.

The idea that ten Hag will radically improve him seems like pie-in-the-sky thinking. Best case scenario is we see yet more bizarre incidents involving him performing his 'special move' of trying to beat the same fullback twice at a snail's pace.

Worse still defenders will have him figured out even better next season than they have this year.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
This thread is not about Pogba, Rashford, Lingard, Martial or us not signing a DM

We have spent 80m on a winger that's best/most comfortable on the left, when we had no shortage of options there:
  • Rashford
  • Pogba
  • Bruno
  • Martial
  • Lingard
  • And a bunch rascals running around in the academy (Elanga, Garnacho, Shoretire)
Nearly every game I watch, I see a really good player on the LW. It's one of the most stacked positions in modern football.
Right now I'm watching Zinckernagel at Forest. looks talented. Off the top of my head, the last couple of matches I've watched, I've seen:
  • Gordon, - Everton
  • Danjuma - Villareal
  • Diaz - Liverpool
  • Sinisterra - Feyenoord
  • Cody Gakpo - PSV
  • Nkunku - RB Leipzig
All very attainable players.

For such a massive fee shouldn't you always sign a finished product, especially in a position that holds no shortage of talent?

Was Sancho a bad signing? Did we overspend on a talented player? Should you ever spent 80 million on a right footed winger that isn't Ballon D'or level?
No

AFC NimbleThumb

The club has so many resident pariahs right now (Maguire, Pogba and Rashy to name just three) that Sancho is adequately protected as consequence from much of the criticism that he would otherwise be given.

The idea that ten Hag will radically improve him seems like pie-in-the-sky thinking. Best case scenario is we see yet more bizarre incidents involving him performing his 'special move' of trying to beat the same fullback twice at a snail's pace.

Worse still defenders will have him figured out even better next season than they have this year.
That’s a No then.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Right type of player to sign, young, with high ceiling.
But obviously a sky high fee.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Good player, good signing hes going to be our best player within 2 seasons. As with most signings from other leagues takes a season to get used to the pace and intensity of the PL.

Dannn411

Too early to call him a bad signing but the signs do not look good. I dont subscribe to this "system" argument that keeps being made for only our signings. Great players perform regardless of where they are. Ronaldo for example. Even at his age, he has still scored 20 goals in his first season back in the worst team he has played for in his career. If you're truly great, it will show in a fairly short period of time and Sancho has showed no indication that he is great. Might eventually turn out to be decent, but doesn't look like a game changer. Hasn't even looked like a top 10 winger in the league which is awful return for a 73m euros player. Looking like another big overpay.

Reactions: Sultan

VanDeBank

Ma’am

Apparently he's been spotted out in Paris while he's supposed to be out with tonsillitis.
I refuse to believe we just happen to sign lazy cnuts from other clubs. I'm sure he was a proper pro at Dortmund, like many of our signings were at their respective clubs before they joined.

Clearly the rot has spread. It's not a Sancho specific thing, but who knows what these players can produce in a less toxic environment.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Apparently he's been spotted out in Paris while he's supposed to be out with tonsillitis.
I refuse to believe we just happen to sign lazy cnuts from other clubs. I'm sure he was a proper pro at Dortmund, like many of our signings were at their respective clubs before they joined.

Clearly the rot has spread. It's not a Sancho specific thing, but who knows what these players can produce in a less toxic environment.
Or maybe he felt better but cant train yet, who knows

Red the Bear

Something less generic
The astronomical wages that he's on worries me.
Basically means we're stuck with him if he fails.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
I’m amazed the amount of people writing him off already. I think he’ll be excellent next season under ETH.
He won't simply because things are going to continue to go from bad to worse next season so whatever the specific reasons are for Sancho's own personal failings almost become moot.

Hoof the ball

I don't think it's wise to write him off at this point.

Fundamentally, what does he lack? He's got great technique, he's good in tight spaces, he plays intelligently, can dribble, and as we know from his Dortmund days, isn't goal-shy. He can pass, interchange and link up to a high level. He's also fairly quick. No, not lightning quick, but there's so many facets to his game and very few real downsides.

We need to see what Sancho would look like under Ten Hag, first. Sometimes you just need the right fit for the right player, and until you get that optimal scenario, it makes judging a player difficult. If, however, they don't flourish under a very good manager who is able to get the whole team in sync, then we can talk about what Sancho is and is not as a signing.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
I think he will be excellent under ETH

Suv666

Too early to call him a bad signing but the signs do not look good. I dont subscribe to this "system" argument that keeps being made for only our signings. Great players perform regardless of where they are. Ronaldo for example. Even at his age, he has still scored 20 goals in his first season back in the worst team he has played for in his career. If you're truly great, it will show in a fairly short period of time and Sancho has showed no indication that he is great. Might eventually turn out to be decent, but doesn't look like a game changer. Hasn't even looked like a top 10 winger in the league which is awful return for a 73m euros player. Looking like another big overpay.
Ronaldo shouldn't be the barometer. He's a freak and one of the greatest footballers ever. Harsh to compare anyone with him.
There have been plenty of players who have stepped up their game in the correct system. Half of Liverpool's squad would fall into that category, too early to write him off.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
The astronomical wages that he's on worries me.
Basically means we're stuck with him if he fails.
Yes, giving 21 yo that money is not smart thing to do. But what else is new at United.
What also worries me is his behaviour in Dortmund. I remember reading he would be late or not show up for training and they would fine him. He did it in Germany while not on this amount of money, plus he is home, in English players sanctuary, plus is very marketable...

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Yes, giving 21 yo that money is not smart thing to do. But what else is new at United.
What also worries me is his behaviour in Dortmund. I remember reading he would be late or not show up for training and they would fine him. He did it in Germany while not on this amount of money, plus he is home, in English players sanctuary, plus is very marketable...
That's why low-key i hoped we sell him come at the end.
I'm really afraid that he'll end up a failure.

Redlyn

If he has that then I'm sure he can walk around just fine. It's the intensity of playing / training that would be an issue. Pick a different stick to beat him with.

NYAS

He won't simply because things are going to continue to go from bad to worse next season so whatever the specific reasons are for Sancho's own personal failings almost become moot.
Get the help you need now. Coping with it like this is not good for you. It’s not a healthy way to live your life. Wish you the best mate.

Moriarty

My neice's husband is a big City supporter. He told me that there were issues at City with him. Bags of talent, he said, but lacks the mental toughness and discipline to knuckle down to intense coaching. Also, he wasn't prepared to wait for his chance under Pep. Now whether this is true, I don't know. I'd like to see how he fares under Ten Hag before passing judgment. So far, he's been part of a squad in turmoil so I don't think we've really seen what he can do.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
If he has that then I'm sure he can walk around just fine. It's the intensity of playing / training that would be an issue. Pick a different stick to beat him with.
Yeah it's not like we have an important game in a week he could make the bench for.

Best not to train at all or recuperate optimally at Carrington.

Shit, its the most normal thing in the world for an injured player to go through an individualized programme with the club's staff using the club's facilities.

Why the feck do our players go to Dubai when they're "injured" and why are fans like @Redlyn okay with this?

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
It may pay some dividends down the road (I hope so) but so far it has been horrible because Sancho wasn't even played by the manager that signed him for enormous money! That was nuts.

And he hasn't exactly crushed it even after Ole.

I do like Sancho but so far our return on investment is crap

OleGunnar20

Can we just play him on the right where he was signed to play? I swear we could sign a Centre Half and turn them into another fecking Left Winger..

For what it's worth I think he's a great player in a functioning team, but not one to drag this shambles out of the mire. Very few would be good enough to do so, to be fair.

I hope the bad attitude rumours are nonsense.

GledTheRed

Good player, cost a fortune in hindsight.

We desperately need to scout more smartly, even the FM gang know the game better than MUFC.

BlueHaze

The outcome of his career will be determined by his attitude as the talent is very obviously already there. If he stays humble and works hard he will become a cracking player for both club and country. If he becomes arrogant and starts believing his own hype he'll end up another Lingard.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Ronaldo shouldn't be the barometer. He's a freak and one of the greatest footballers ever. Harsh to compare anyone with him.
There have been plenty of players who have stepped up their game in the correct system. Half of Liverpool's squad would fall into that category, too early to write him off.
It's even more absurd to say about the PL where 2 of the best players are Chelsea dropouts who then succeeded abroad and came back to the PL at the highest level. How come KDB didn't succeed under Mourinho?

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
No , nearly every player that comes from Bundesliga seems to take a season to adapt, even Ole warned against expectations from Sancho this season. He has actually done relatively well considering the outfit he had parachuted into. If Diaz had come in to this side he would not have fared any better. My biggest fear for him was falling into the 'Beanz' gang and picking up bad habits and entitlement. ETH can only be a big help to him.