Was selling Jaap Stam Fergie's biggest mistake?

Oranges038

Replacing him with Blanc was a huge mistake
And a year later he rectified that situation and replaced Blanc with Rio. Financially he night not have been able to do that deal had he not brought in the money from selling Stam.

Swings and roundabouts.

Revaulx

Ferguson was powerful enough to speak his own mind. I sincerely doubt he was the "puppet mouthpiece" for the Glazers as some like to suggest.

He was ageing though. My belief is, in his later years, he preferred a mixture of opportunistic punts along with developing and moulding youth players, to expensive superstar signings which came with significant expectations. The signings of Owen, RVP, Zaha etc characterise his preferences quite well.
Indeed.

The narrow focus of United’s scouting towards the end, rightly called out by both Moyes and LvG, did prevent him from being able to identify (relative) bargains from outside the PL though. Many of the players that gave City many years of transformational service (e. g. David Silva) weren’t hugely expensive.

kerryman

A bit of both. He definitely would have been aware that they wanted to invest as little as possible so he accepted the reduction in standards in that sense.

But he still has a squad filled with world class talent even if they were aging so he knew he could get by and compete for titles. I don't think he would have allowed the squad to reach that point had he been younger and planning another decade with the team. I don't think Moyes was the guy but he never stood a chance. That squad was dead.

United were more than capable of spending with City but we let them sign Toure, Aguero, Silva etc. almost unopposed. We did compete for Tevez but didn't do enough to keep him which I think was a mistake as well.
Yes letting City buy those guys while using the "there's no value in the market" excuse was a huge mistake. They all proved their worth many times over since they were signed and cost us a few titles.

Revaulx

Not saying there weren’t tonnes of other candidates we should have gone to before Moyes but SAF clearly thought he could step up further at a bigger club, didn’t happen.
He also clearly thought (as he has subsequently confirmed) that Moyes was going to retain the backroom staff.

The whole process seems to have been carried out in a pretty shambolic manner, with lazy assumptions and a lack of attention to detail. I don’t think it was SAF’s job to manage the process, and it’s very unfair to blame him for any of it, even if some of the advice he gave may not have been sound.

KingCavani

The narrative that we weren't any good when he left caught on but I don't agree, we won the league in April and were robbed in the CL against Real. Ferguson gifted Moyes Zaha too, which people forget, who has proven to be a good player and much better than most of our other wide players in the years that followed. That was on Moyes that he fell out with him.

Five or six years later, Mourinho was often using a back 5 of Ferguson signed players (De Gea - Valencia Jones Smalling Young), which doesn't say much for the recruitment after him. There were other good young enough players at the time that seemed good at the time like Kagawa, Hernandez, Welbeck and others that were good players if they were developed further at the right time. Ferguson wanted to get rid of Rooney, again that would have been for the best in hindsight.
Those plays playing were more a reflection of how awful the alternatives were than anything else. De Gea was the only top player that was left behind from that squad.

Everyone else was either mediocre or fell of a cliff. That 2013 team was still hugely reliant on Evra, Rio, Vidic, Carrick, Giggs, Rooney and RVP - These players were all pretty much done with 2-3 years and well past their prime even by the time Moyes had arrived. The squad needed a rebuild but the title victory meant expectations were as high as ever. Moyes never stood a chance.

davidmichael

Not strengthening from a position of power when he knew he was retiring and picking Moyes to take over when no one could win the league with what we had in that squad other than Sir Alex was the biggest mistake, as bad as Jose turned out for us in the end that was when he should have taken over and he and Sir Alex should have been working behind the scenes on bringing top players in that summer.

stevoc

A bit of both. He definitely would have been aware that they wanted to invest as little as possible so he accepted the reduction in standards in that sense.

But he still has a squad filled with world class talent even if they were aging so he knew he could get by and compete for titles. I don't think he would have allowed the squad to reach that point had he been younger and planning another decade with the team. I don't think Moyes was the guy but he never stood a chance. That squad was dead.

United were more than capable of spending with City but we let them sign Toure, Aguero, Silva etc. almost unopposed.
From being appointed in 86 until around 2000 SAF had to live with pretty strict financial restrictions in terms of what he could spend and what sort of salaries he could offer players. So working on a budget was nothing new to him.

We did compete for Tevez but didn't do enough to keep him which I think was a mistake as well.
Yeah I think there's probably a very good reason/s he didn't try too hard to keep Tevez.

RUCK4444

He also clearly thought (as he has subsequently confirmed) that Moyes was going to retain the backroom staff.

The whole process seems to have been carried out in a pretty shambolic manner, with lazy assumptions and a lack of attention to detail. I don’t think it was SAF’s job to manage the process, and it’s very unfair to blame him for any of it, even if some of the advice he gave may not have been sound.
Yeah totally agree. In fairness after so long and so much success (not to mention total control) at the club there was likely a pressure on Sir Alex to give his verdict on who should take over.

Looking back the club should have stepped in and took over the process. Perhaps letting sir Alex help identify a DOF before the club doing the job of appointing the manager (as it should have been.)

The problem with the total control SAF had meant we were, and to a large extent still are, totally rudderless without him.

SungSam7

Anderson
Nani
Berbatov

These weren’t “value” signings.

The Glazers’ tightness in their early years certainly didn’t help, but that wasn’t the only factor. Maybe SAFs judgement, or his confidence in his own judgement, was on the wane?
Cant really blame him for Nani and Anderson, could maybe for Berbatov as he never really fit our style of play.

However, one of the mistakes was not signing Tevez after his first season.

Being so determined to get rid of Beckham which led to us selling him well under his true value considering how much Zidane went for at his age. We did Real a huge favour in their galatico build while that snake Perez has been trying to nail us every chance he has got.

padzilla

Hipster
From being appointed in 86 until around 2000 SAF had to live with pretty strict financial restrictions in terms of what he could spend and what sort of salaries he could offer players. So working on a budget was nothing new to him.

Yeah I think there's probably a very good reason/s he didn't try too hard to keep Tevez.
Didn't Fergie get wind Tevez was prepared to talk to City, while still playing for us?
I think this was all Fergie needed to realise he wasn't the type of character he wanted at the club, unfortunately that type of character is the norm in the PL now.

Ladron de redcafe

I'm not sure it cost us much besides the 2001-2002 league title. It was a mistake insomuch that Staam was still a top player, but we bought Rio within 2 seasons and that cannot be classified as a mistake.

Having Stam there in 2002 would have made it less likely that we broke the bank for Rio, because it was our defensive fragility that necessitated the big expenditure.

BlueHaze

Absolutely not. His biggest mistake was letting the likes of Hazard, Aguero, Silva, Toure and others go to rival clubs when we could have easily gotten them and instead signed the likes of Jones, Valencia, Young and Bebe.

If he had signed the ones mentioned he would have won a lot more titles before his retirement.

DutchCruijff

Don't buy this "we sold him for financial reasons".

We signed Forlan for £10m and Carroll for £3m that very same summer. Stam went for £23m with very, very generous payment schedule IIRC.

We were at the height of our powers, £10m wasn't an insurmountable fee.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Didn't Fergie get wind Tevez was prepared to talk to City, while still playing for us?
I think this was all Fergie needed to realise he wasn't the type of character he wanted at the club, unfortunately that type of character is the norm in the PL now.
I believe his agent was shopping him around Europe and that put us off. He was a troublemaker and Fergie didn't think it was worth the hassle.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Don't buy this "we sold him for financial reasons".

We signed Forlan for £10m and Carroll for £3m that very same summer. Stam went for £23m with very, very generous payment schedule IIRC.

We were at the height of our powers, £10m wasn't an insurmountable fee.
Thought it was because of Stam's book?

Revaulx

Yeah totally agree. In fairness after so long and so much success (not to mention total control) at the club there was likely a pressure on Sir Alex to give his verdict on who should take over.

Looking back the club should have stepped in and took over the process. Perhaps letting sir Alex help identify a DOF before the club doing the job of appointing the manager (as it should have been.)

The problem with the total control SAF had meant we were, and to a large extent still are, totally rudderless without him.
Yeah. I wonder what David Gill’s role was in all of it.

I think he had announced that he was going anyway, so I don’t think it’s fair to assume he just slunk away when he realised it was all bound to go tits up. It was obvious that SAF was going at some point though, and he (Gill) can’t be totally absolved from the lack of forward planning.

GlasgowCeltic

Not a massive mistake but I can remember being a bit disappointed the club didn't go big again in the market after the treble... Bosnich and Silvestre, meh

Tom Van Persie

No relation

I think he had announced that he was going anyway, so I don’t think it’s fair to assume he just slunk away when he realised it was all bound to go tits up. It was obvious that SAF was going at some point though, and he (Gill) can’t be totally absolved from the lack of forward planning.
We'll never hear the true stories of what was going on behind the scenes but I highly doubt Fergie, Gill and others at the club were happy with the lack of investment in the first team and youth academy. If he was 10 years younger I'm sure Fergie would've put his foot down and pointed out things that had to change (like he had done before) but he knew he was retiring soon and he focused on doing his job which was to wrestle the title away from City.

KingCavani

Tevez's camp knew the writing was on the wall after the Berbatov signing, which all things considered was a terrible move.

If we had Rooney/Tevez up front from 2010 through 2015 we'd have won a lot more. They played so well together too.

tomaldinho1

Absolutely not. His biggest mistake was letting the likes of Hazard, Aguero, Silva, Toure and others go to rival clubs when we could have easily gotten them and instead signed the likes of Jones, Valencia, Young and Bebe.

If he had signed the ones mentioned he would have won a lot more titles before his retirement.
Yes, this is what I'd say was his biggest mistake. He underestimated how little other clubs cared for agent fees and were happy to line the pockets of the people SAF despised, I think he and Gill hoped to curb the superagents before they got out of hand but just look at the state of transfers now, it's horrendous how much money changes hands.

KingCavani

We'll never hear the true stories of what was going on behind the scenes but I highly doubt Fergie, Gill and others at the club were happy with the lack of investment in the first team and youth academy. If he was 10 years younger I'm sure Fergie would've put his foot down and pointed out things that had to change (like he had done before) but he knew he was retiring soon and he focused on doing his job which was to wrestle the title away from City.
I really doubt Gill gave a shit and was quite happy to be part of the money making operation.

I agree on Ferguson. People find it sacrilegious to criticise him for anything on here but he could have done a lot more for the club towards the end.

Revaulx

Those plays playing were more a reflection of how awful the alternatives were than anything else. De Gea was the only top player that was left behind from that squad.

Everyone else was either mediocre or fell of a cliff. That 2013 team was still hugely reliant on Evra, Rio, Vidic, Carrick, Giggs, Rooney and RVP - These players were all pretty much done with 2-3 years and well past their prime even by the time Moyes had arrived. The squad needed a rebuild but the title victory meant expectations were as high as ever. Moyes never stood a chance.
Yes he did. Plenty of people would have moaned if he’d finished fourth, but plenty more would have realised he had a major rebuild on his hands and would have been happy (at least grudgingly) to give him more time.

Not making top four was totally unacceptable.

Revaulx

That’s what happens when you give someone total control.

Still, it should have been obvious after the Moyes debacle that the Fergie Way was only sustainable with the Great Man in place.

Irwin99

Not getting him a proper CB partner and a left back after 99 was one issue that prevented us from winning another European cup. Damn Glazers ;)

RUCK4444

Yeah exactly, you can imagine SAF felt the world of pressure on his shoulders to hand over the club to a safe pair of hands and that he rubber stamp it.

That's an unfair situation really because you can't really be held responsible for the performances or decision making of the man that replaces you. Which is why the club should have taken the decision themselves.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I really doubt Gill gave a shit and was quite happy to be part of the money making operation.

I agree on Ferguson. People find it sacrilegious to criticise him for anything on here but he could have done a lot more for the club towards the end.
Of course he made mistakes and fair criticism is fine but the way some people talk about him on here you would think you were reading RAWK or Bluemoon. The man rebuilt United from scratch and made us into one of the biggest clubs in the world. He didn't owe the club anything in the end, he could've walked away on a lot of different occasions but he stayed to manage into his 70's because he loved United. He couldn't hold our hand forever, there had to come a time when people upstairs started to think about the future but that never happened.

KingCavani

Of course he made mistakes and fair criticism is fine but the way some people talk about him on here you would think you were reading RAWK or Bluemoon. The man rebuilt United from scratch and made us into one of the biggest clubs in the world. He didn't owe the club anything in the end, he could've walked away on a lot of different occasions but he stayed to manage into his 70's because he loved United. He couldn't hold our hand forever, there had to come a time when people upstairs started to think about the future but that never happened.
:lol:

Such nonsense - you've actually made my point.

No one has said any such things about him. He made mistakes towards the end and the business conducted in that time was a significant factor in the decline of the club. Even if it was entirely his own creation that is unquestionable. Some just can't hear a bad word said about him and it's like hearing a cult defend the leader. It's ridiculous.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Yeah exactly, you can imagine SAF felt the world of pressure on his shoulders to hand over the club to a safe pair of hands and that he rubber stamp it.

That's an unfair situation really because you can't really be held responsible for the performances or decision making of the man that replaces you. Which is why the club should have taken the decision themselves.
At the end of the day, Sir Alex and Sir Bobby and other key figures at United were fans of Moyes. They put his name forward and the Glazers and the rest of the board went for it because he was viewed as another man that will stay long term and the Glazers could continue to be hands off. It was a club decision and it's unfair to blame one man for it but I guess that's the price the club and Fergie have to pay for all the PR nonsense surrounding Moyes' appointment.

padzilla

Hipster
Yes he did. Plenty of people would have moaned if he’d finished fourth, but plenty more would have realised he had a major rebuild on his hands and would have been happy (at least grudgingly) to give him more time.

Not making top four was totally unacceptable.
Agree with this completely, to take a squad that had won the league by double figures the previous season to seventh place was nothing short of shocking.

RUCK4444

At the end of the day, Sir Alex and Sir Bobby and other key figures at United were fans of Moyes. They put his name forward and the Glazers and the rest of the board went for it because he was viewed as another man that will stay long term and the Glazers could continue to be hands off. It was a club decision and it's unfair to blame one man for it but I guess that's the price the club and Fergie have to pay for all the PR nonsense surrounding Moyes' appointment.
Yeah it's a collective responsibility but the club should have foreseen the struggles there would be after Sir Alex stepped down and they basically just followed blindly whatever Sir Alex suggested, which is a real strange one because in no other industry would the outgoing Manager select the replacement. They wouldn't even be consulted.

I think SAF thought Pep would jump at the chance here and when they didn't transpire Moyes was what he thought would be a 'safe' choice.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Agree with this completely, to take a squad that had won the league by double figures the previous season to seventh place was nothing short of shocking.
I've said it for years. The squad obviously needed investment but there was too much quality and experience in there to be finishing fecking 7th. The problem is Moyes dithered all summer chasing unrealistic targets such as Fabregas and trying to do a double deal for Baines/Fellaini. Not to mention Woodward's incompetence. Then of course we spent a shit load under LvG the following summer but we didn't spend it wisely.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Yeah it's a collective responsibility but the club should have foreseen the struggles there would be after Sir Alex stepped down and they basically just followed blindly whatever Sir Alex suggested, which is a real strange one because in no other industry would the outgoing Manager select the replacement. They wouldn't even be consulted.

I think SAF thought Pep would jump at the chance here and when they didn't transpire Moyes was what he thought would be a 'safe' choice.
I agree. We held together as a club by one man. Nobody at ownership level or board level wanted to think about planning for when he retired. It's laughable they thought it would just be business as usual.

Revaulx

Dead right!

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
No. Recommending Moyes was clearly

choccy77

Fergies biggest mistake was allowing the Midfield to just become poor and never finding suitable replacements, which is still costing us today

choccy77

On appointing Moyes, didn’t he try to get Pep first and Pep had already agreed to join City?

At the time Pep was the stand out candidate and I believe Moyes was a distant second choice, I believe it’s known that SAF liked Jose but didn’t want him at United.

Not saying there weren’t tonnes of other candidates we should have gone to before Moyes but SAF clearly thought he could step up further at a bigger club, didn’t happen.
No,

He spoke to Pep without revealing he was retiring in a year or so & said to Pep, give me a call if you ever want to leave Barca.

Pep never called, had no idea Fergie was going to retire and signed with Munich.

Tarrou

Hiring Moyes. It basically created this mess we're in
no it didn't

the club was living in the dark ages and was over-reliant on Fergie, and needed a complete overhaul to bring it into the 21st century

that's what created this mess