Was that the worst game in your lifetime?

BigRon1985

Yesterday was right up there.
Actually the other one that i always think of wasn't a humiliation, we actually won in injury time but was just the worst game I've ever watched - the cup game against league 1 Sheff Utd under LVG. At home we had 2 shots on target both in the last 20 minutes.
It was the 10th home game in a row we had failed to score in the first half and we could barely muster an attack at home to a league 1 team.
Wasn't this the one when Scholes said thank God we scored because he couldn't bear the thought of having to endure watching the replay?

Yik

Sure - yes. That's where context comes in.

To me, this wasn't nearly as bad as several other performances/results over the years.
I suppose a direct parallel to this would be the 1-4 loss we suffered in 2009 at OT to Liverpool. That hurt like hell too and objectively speaking was much more impactful since it almost proved to be a title deciding loss, if it wasnt for Macheda it probably would have been too. However I still maintain this loss feels worse - nothing rational about it - I just can't remember ever feeling embarrassed watching us before.

SirScholes

No, there has been lots of shit days through the years. It won’t be the worst either, sometimes shit happens.
City 6-1 for me was worse
Newcastle 5-0 was shit

Atleast this one we all (most of us) saw coming and may of actually done us some good in speeding up the “Ole out” process

redshaw

It's surprisingly not up there.

QPR beat us 1-4 at OT in the early 90s I was absolutely seething as much as Sir Alex would've been. Andy Sinton had a great game.

West Ham 1995

Chelsea beating us 5-0. Still can see Jody Morris

4-4 calamity with Everton

Porto, Bayer Leverkussen.

Danny Murphys' wins for Pool hurt more.

The Liverpool match on Sunday is maybe a blessing to not continue coasting along with Ole, it's been coming, he can't learn, the mistakes keep piling up. The CL games were a huge sign to what was to come so it's good to finally put a stop to this insanity. It's more relief.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Yes it was, I was at Old Trafford which probably amplified the negativity. The worst I have ever seen us play.

ole@thewheel

In no order of preference:

• 2009 UCL final vs Barcelona
We were better than a year before (when we won it), and Barcelona/Messi were not proven as that good yet. 2012 was inevitable but I still think we got it wrong this time and could have won it.
  • 2007 UCL Semifinals vs AC Milan
Although first leg was satisfying after a bad start (Rooney last minute goal) we got disassembled by Seedorf and Kaka in San Siro. But still that was a "good education" for a team that would win it next year.
  • 2010 UCL QF vs Bayern
First season without Ronaldo but with super-Rooney on form. That stupid Rafael red card and Robben goal.
  • 2013 UCL Last 16 vs Real Madrid
Should have been SAF-s last run, which was interrupted by a dodgy refereeing.
  • vs Liverpool 0-3 PL at home (2014)
Was a wake up call after SAF retirement. Retrospectively it was the day tables turned vs our rivals and now they had the upper hand on the rivalry which sadly continues to this day.

Reactions: Penna

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Thank feck Pakistan beat India yesterday that I wasn't able to fully feel the match v Liverpool. Was watching it on the side but was still more happy because the cricket match was amazing.

I would actually say the lose that hurt most was the 2-0 (I think) to City on the 50th anniversary of the Munich disaster. We had the classic kit out, a really somber day as well so more sad that we lost to our much worse rivals that day.
2-1. Carrick got a consolation goal late on.That was bad but not in the same league as yesterday.

George the Cat

Anfield away ‘92, lost the title to Leeds against them at that place. Utterly horrible.

sukhy

Villarreal in the Europa League Final was atrocious, top 3 most embarassing nights in the clubs history IMO.

Robertd0803

CL final 2009 tops my list along with final day of 2011/2012 for obvious reasons.
(Europa League Final last season is pretty up there though as well).

Yesterday was entirely predictable and not the least surprising to anyone who has actually watched us this season.

Denis79

Been watching since the late 80's, yesterday is up there among the worst. It was humiliating.

MUFC OK

In no order of preference:

• 2009 UCL final vs Barcelona
We were better than a year before (when we won it), and Barcelona/Messi were not proven as that good yet. 2012 was inevitable but I still think we got it wrong this time and could have won it.
  • 2007 UCL Semifinals vs AC Milan
Although first leg was satisfying after a bad start (Rooney last minute goal) we got disassembled by Seedorf and Kaka in San Siro. But still that was a "good education" for a team that would win it next year.
  • 2010 UCL QF vs Bayern
First season without Ronaldo but with super-Rooney on form. That stupid Rafael red card and Robben goal.
  • 2013 UCL Last 16 vs Real Madrid
Should have been SAF-s last run, which was interrupted by a dodgy refereeing.
  • vs Liverpool 0-3 PL at home (2014)
Was a wake up call after SAF retirement. Retrospectively it was the day tables turned vs our rivals and now they had the upper hand on the rivalry which sadly continues to this day.
To think that lot have been better than us for 7 years..

Red Daz

Newcastle 5-0 was horrible, I was young so it got to me more, it gets slightly easier to take days like yesterday when you’re a bit older I guess, but yes it was humiliating to say the least

simplyared

Watched utd since the early 60's. Yes that was the worst game I've experienced. It was humiliating and embarrasing and the fact Ole is still our manager certainly doesn't give us any hope of better things to come. He must be relieved of his job pronto. This circus cannot and must not be allowed to continue.

Gordon S

When we conceded 6 vs City it hurt but i didn`t think we were that awful. The game just ran away as we were throwing everything forward.
Both finals against Barcelona hurt but it felt like we were unlucky to face such a ridiculously strong side twice.

This was embarrassing on a new level. Our most hated rivals comes to our house and just casually destroys us.Only positive is that i thought they were going to score a few more after the red card but we somehow managed to stop the bleeding at 5.
I didn`t expect us to win but expected us to put up some kind of fight still. At least make them work for it.

Not sure i have ever felt so deflated. We have a strong squad on paper and still manage to look average at best regardless of opposition.

We are playing an average Spurs side next and i only expect more embarrassment.
And i will just try to block out the fact we are playing City soon as well.

JonnyIreland

Champions League 94/95, we lost 4-0 to Barcelona…. I remember that was a particularly bad loss, because we had Euro aspirations but instead had our arses handed to us on a plate that night. The ABUs took great delight in that win, it’s one that always sticks out to me as a bad loss that the whole world got to see. We looked really far away from challenging in Europe that night.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Watched utd since the early 60's. Yes that was the worst game I've experienced. It was humiliating and embarrasing and the fact Ole is still our manager certainly doesn't give us any hope of better things to come. He must be relieved of his job pronto. This circus cannot and must not be allowed to continue.
This.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Champions League 94/95, we lost 4-0 to Barcelona…. I remember that was a particularly bad loss, because we had Euro aspirations but instead had our arses handed to us on a plate that night. The ABUs took great delight in that win, it’s one that always sticks out to me as a bad loss that the whole world got to see. We looked really far away from challenging in Europe that night.
Sure it was a bad defeat but we were away against a very good team containing Romario & Stoichkov. Plus we were hampered by the foreign player rule.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Newcastle 5-0 was horrible, I was young so it got to me more, it gets slightly easier to take days like yesterday when you’re a bit older I guess, but yes it was humiliating to say the least
It was bad but it was after a tough away European game that week, think we had been to Turkey. It wasn’t as bad as yesterday.

Dixon Cunce

I'd have to say that I've never ever been so fearful of how how many goals we were going to concede, at the point of Jogba being sent off. Never in my life have I felt so stressed at watching United. I honestly thought it would go into double figures. How bad has it got at our club, that I was 'relieved' that the score ended just 0-5.

Results just last century that have left me feeling sick:

Citeh 5-1 United 1989
Liverpool 4-0 United 1990
Liverpool 2-0 United 1992
Liverpool 3-3 United 1994
Blackburn 2-0 United 1994
Barcelona 4-0 United 1994
Newcastle 5-0 United 1996
United 0-1 Arsenal 1998

Dixon Cunce

Sure it was a bad defeat but we were away against a very good team containing Romario & Stoichkov. Plus we were hampered by the foreign player rule.
Seeing Cantona and Schmeichel watching as spectators was awful. Those two alone, would have made a difference in that match.

MrBest

Sunday was a terrible result, embarrassing but it has been clear for a while that something like this was going to happen. Is it the worst result we ever had? Nowhere close. For me the 4-4 draw against Everton is up there, quite a few games during our transition in the early 2000s, the FA Cup defeat to Chelsea about 15 years ago and the defeat to Villareal in the summer gone all are at the top. The worst is hard to define, football is a emotional sport.

Winrar

I don't think anything will ever top the final day of 11/12. The one time I actually felt sick and numb after what happened.

If Liverpool matched/broke the PL win record it would've come close, even if how the match actually went was entirely predictable. 0-9 would not have flattered them.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
It is definitely up there. The game was done and dead before the half time mark, and Liverpool looked like they could score at will, with our midfielders and defenders gifting them easy goals. If Liverpool decided to keep playing in the second half, they could have easily had more than 5.

lawliet354

It is definitely top 2, the other one being 3-0 also against Liverpool during Moyes' time. Scoreline aside, it was the way we lost it, it's just so pathetic seeing us outclassed in every single area, feels like seeing a practice match. And Liverpool could definitely score 3 or 4 more if they had not stopped attacking after the red card

During Sir Alex time I never really felt as bad, just because I know it's just a one-off and we'll still be competing anyways. But those two matches is like a showing to the world that Manchester United is no longer able to compete against the top club and should know their place and prepare for long years of mediocrity

Tarrou

for me it's always the games with the most riding on it

blowing the title away to West Ham in the mid 90s

Leverkusen UCL semis

and obviously the Barca finals

defeats like this one are crushing but we're just waiting for the inevitably sacking and to start it over again

even if we'd have won we'd still be going no where

MoskvaRed

Objectively, Sunday might be the worst of the lot but it doesn’t hurt like the 92 title collapse, the last day of the 95 season or the 2009 CL final. I believed in our team and manager in those days and was emotionally invested in the outcome. Now I find I have zoned out pending the appointment of a serious manager again.

Red_Aaron

Objectively, Sunday might be the worst of the lot but it doesn’t hurt like the 92 title collapse, the last day of the 95 season or the 2009 CL final. I believed in our team and manager in those days and was emotionally invested in the outcome. Now I find I have zoned out pending the appointment of a serious manager again.
This is probably correct, objectively the worse but doesn't hurt like some defeats of the past.
No doubt that's an age thing too on my part of course, i'm a lot more mellow now.
The title deciders we lost to arsenal in the late nineties and early noughties still haunt me to this day, and the FA Cup final where we battered them for 120 minutes will never leave me. Likewise the League Cup final we lost to the scousers

InfiniteBoredom

1-6 against City hurts more for me personally, because we started brilliantly that season and the loss took all the winds out of our sails, so did the two CL final losses, or the Madrid match (never felt so angry in my life). I’ve mentally checked out for last match and didn’t watch it, even expected a drubbing and bet on Pool so it’s more resigned disappointment rather than hurt. Although I’d imagine it was hell for those who watched, especially the matchgoers .

Real Name

Luckily didnt even watch the game, just checking the result which was bad enough. I saw just Keita goal and that will be it for me. Usually when a traumatic defeat happens I dont watch any footage from it for years to come.

I remember 1997 CL ties with Dortmund. Not the worst games but it was just a shame to lose it cause I felt we could and should have gone all the way. It would be beautiful if Cantona had won the big ears trophy.

Some other CL ties sting after that, especially 2010 Bayern one at OT. We had a game in our hands and threw it by Rafael red card and of course then that Robben volley happened.

2009 CL final of course. Watched it in a bar full of Barcelona glory hunters which were smug and usual irritating like most Barcelona glory hunters usually are. Never saw the goals after that, just pictures.

1-6 was horrible of course. Back then it was much easier to avoid all the football news for few weeks but couldnt avoid friends making fun of me, even the ones who dont watch football much or any of it.

4-4 vs Everton, what a stupid was to threw away the lead, especially since we were playing some great stuff. Knew right away that was that probably for the title. Although we had a chance for the title if we only drew at City 2 weeks after that (was it?) but we played one of the most pathetic games ever and just gifted them a victory without shooting a bullet. And then of course Aguero happened and.. Ugh.

Defeats to Liverpool and City in Moyes year. It felt so bad cause we were so much worse then both of them, they brushed us aside without breaking a sweat. It was a horrible feeling and it felt already then things wont be the same for a foreseeable future.

And of course 0-0 with Sevilla at OT and famous Jose rant. He looked after himself and in the way threw the whole history of the club under the bus just to protect himself after one of the most dismal United games in history really.

I think I havent seen any of the goals from most of the numbered games above. It sound stupid maybe or silly but its the way it is. :)