Was that the worst season you ever witnessed?

Someone

Something
This is by far the worst. We've missed on CL football before, but the manner of how the team performed this season was shocking. No heart, no character, no team spirit, no commitment, and no leadership.

I'm 40, been following united all my life, this season has been a nightmare.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Definitely . And I remember us being relegated.
I think we conceded fewer goals the season we went down. We definitely played with more pride.
0-5 at home to Pool? Stop.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Because it certainly wasn't for me. In fact, I can't think of a season in recent years with so many positives.

The Cardiff relegator was finally binned and his cult dispersed. The club is finally moving into the future/reality after being stuck in the past/fantasy land for the past three years. Sure, Rangnick didn't achieve much on the pitch but fixing three years of rot instantly in a temporary role was always gonna be a tough ask. His spell has certainly identified which players that need to be offloaded.

We got to see Ronaldo make a glorious return with 20+goals and exciting youngsters like Elanga given game time. The youth team winning the cup was also great.

I'm sick of all this negativity around. Probably the most enjoyable season since Mourinho's first one.

For the first time since SAF retired a talented manager in his prime has been appointed. A manager that wants to play proper dominant attacking football and not beta counterattacking football. Woodward is gone and the club is seemingly making all the right moves at the moment.

Exciting times ahead!
Another unnecessary thread blatantly designed to bash Ole and absolve Wreck-It Ralf and deflect from what will go down as the worst season In PL history despite lame attempts like this to state otherwise. The cult of Wreck-It really is strong. Whether his followers like it or not this guy will forever be associated with United's worst ever season not Solskjaer

Clearly just a wum thread and a crappy one at that.

wolvored

We have had a lot worse. 74 we got relegated. Under Fergie we finished 11th and 13th with less points and a minus goal difference.

Idxomer

Another unnecessary thread blatantly designed to bash Ole and absolve Wreck-It Ralf and deflect from what will go down as the worst season In PL history despite lame attempts like this to state otherwise. The cult of Wreck-It really is strong. Whether his followers like it or not this guy will forever be associated with United's worst ever season not Solskjaer

Clearly just a wum thread and a crappy one at that.
:lol:

Yep, he was the guy who was down 5-0 to Liverpool at Old Trafford in 50 minutes.

Woziak

This one !
simply, Because we were a team who finished second in the previous season and we thought we had bought elite signings to take us from 74 points to 85-88 and challenge, not win but challenge!

We had so much hope at the beginning or so we thought ?

New World Class CB in prime - Tick ☑
Englands new Elite RW - Tick ☑
Englands hottest young Forwards - ☑
A Returning Mega Star - Tick ☑
A Rampaging Uruguayan CF - Tick ☑
One of Europes best LB - Tick ☑
A Captain who regained Form - Tick ☑
2 of Europes best AM - Tick ☑
Pogba staying and 4 assists 1 game - ☑
A manager improving - tick ☑
A New 4-1-2-3 Formation tick ☑
Fred and Mctominay looking ok - Tick ☑
2 Elite Keepers competing - Tick ☑

Fast Forward 11 months and we have a zero goal difference, 58 points, a win rate of less than 40% and most of the England so called greats being shadows of their former selves, 5 players leaving on a free and the most toxic, inept dressing room in the PL.

So yep this is by far the worst season I can remember because when you add in the fact the 4 major trophies will be won by our two biggest domestic rivals, I think most united fans would agree that the so called owners of the club proved this season just how incredibly clueless they are by recruiting Ralph when Carrick would have done a much better job.

Lost bear

2021-22 Brutal
Although I’m ancient, approaching my 250th year, this has been the worst season for me. As a teenager and in my twenties I wasn’t following football much, so missed relegation etc.

I think what got me this year, as others have remarked, was the complete lack of respect for the club, the team, even the selves of the players. It’s also in the context of fecking Brexit and its ongoing horrors, war in Europe again ( as a sixties kid, never thought I’d see it) and the current government actually outdoing Utd in terms of shit performance.

Sorry OP, but you did ask…

Chripper

Been supporting United since about 94.

This is the worst season.

The only way that we beat teams is by individual brilliance. That's it. When the cause asks us to beat teams by sheer teamwork and patterns of play and passion, we lose.

Loon

Ferguson late-80s was grim. I take pride I was not "Ta-ra Fergie" but only because I was fooled by the second place finish in '88?

Foxbatt

To me, this was the worst season. We paid so much for improving the squad and the whole thing collapsed. Then we gave a ridiculous new contract to Bruno when we didn't have to. I really don't understand why we paid so much for Sancho when we could have got two world class midfield players? I mean do we need Varane more than a quality DM?

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I was around when we got relegated and my memory has faded a fair bit however this season feels like the most disappointing for me. Its just been a shit show for the whole season.

Will Singh

In recent years for me without a shadow of doubt. What makes it worse is our players the way the behaved is very worrying and I hope we get rid of them quickly.

RedPed

Whatabouter.

Yep, he was the guy who was down 5-0 to Liverpool at Old Trafford in 50 minutes.
Yeah the guy who also equalled our largest ever PL victory and has the best away record in United history.

We've also been beat by 5 many times under Fergie by lesser opposition, so what's your point? You're really going to have to do better than that. :lol:

Denis79

In my 35 years supporting the club this was the worst season by far.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Question for the older members. How toxic was it when United were relegated?

Idxomer

Yeah the guy who also equalled our largest ever PL victory and has the best away record in United history.

We've also been beat by 5 many times under Fergie by lesser opposition, so what's your point? You're really going to have to do better than that. :lol:
Away record in empty stadiums :lol:

This was United's most humiliating defeat to their fiercest rival at home and they took mercy after scoring 5 goals in 50 minutes, Ole the manager will always be associated with this whether you or other cultists like it or not.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Away record in empty stadiums :lol:

This was United's most humiliating defeat to their fiercest rival at home and they took mercy after scoring 5 goals in 50 minutes, Ole the manager will always be associated with this whether you or other cultists like it or not.
Aw bless you for clutching at straws. I can see you're clearly hurting that Wreck-It won't be in the dugout any more....but hey, there's always Austrian football. You can catch up with him over there.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Given the demographics of the vocal fanbase, it's obviously the worst for the large majority.

I really thought the Moyes season couldn't be topped. That was grim and every week you just got the sense that the players and manager were all fed up.

The thing that topped it this year was how they all gave up, bar say Ronaldo, De Gea, Fred and maybe Sancho in parts. They were lauded as title contenders and immediately at the point where a gap started to emerge (it didn't take long), all but 2-4 of them weren't up for a battle and visibly gave up.

It's an unforgivable season for many of those players, and if the club have any desire to remove the levels of toxicity that is apparent, they have to support the squad being ripped apart and the rebuild conducted by the manager and scouting team, not the commercial opportunity. No more Pogba's, Di Maria's, Falcao's and Cavani's...

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
2008 when we couldn’t even beat measly portsmouth for a treble for me. i couldn’t look our players in the face for weeks afterwards.

Lyng

Probably this one. At least I didnt come out of the Moyes season with a huge dislike towards a large part of the players.
Also never expected us to do well under Moyes so I wasnt really that surprised.

Foxbatt

Question for the older members. How toxic was it when United were relegated?
It was expected that we could be relegated. Ok. I was in my very early teens but we were expected to even challenge then. The Sir Matt era had come to an end and the players were simply not good enough. Everyone knew that unlike the start of this season. It's why I say this is the worst.

troylocker

We haven't been this disjointed since the 80's, but we showed more heart back then at least (and it was what we were used to).
By far the worst season we've had in the PL-era from a footballing perspective. We have a massively talented squad, but it looks like our players has taken lessons on unlearning the basics of football, both tactically and technically.

Can't wait to get ETH in to shake some morale into this squad.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
This was the worst for me. I'm 37.

The only silver lining from this season is we were so bad, that finally the people in charge look like they're are trying to change everything about the way the club is run. There is no "we are on the way trust the process and cultural reset blabla".

Someday we will complete our comeback, like AC Milan just did and this season might be the marker. Or we could fall further behind and see worse seasons, I don't know.

Idxomer

Aw bless you for clutching at straws. I can see you're clearly hurting that Wreck-It won't be in the dugout any more....but hey, there's always Austrian football. You can catch up with him over there.
You're the one clutching at straws looking for achievements that no one cares about.

Couldn't care less about Rangnick, he has been a failure just like your precious.

Counterfactual

This season was the worst for players' attitudes. I never imagined a Manchester United squad would down tools and catfight each other in the press to such an extent.

Foxbatt

Let me add that from day 1 of the new season we knew we would be back. United had the highest average of spectators in the whole of England though we were in the 2nd division. United had the highest crowd in any given game in England. Not even Liverpool in the first division could beat us the crowd numbers.

Redlyn

Definitely the worst for me. I have never been at home watching something else on TV while united was playing because I couldn't bare to watch us get thumped pathetically yet again. Frankly by far my lowest season as a fan given the number of games I willfully ignored. As far as I am concerned the 9-0 vs Liverpool never happened because "I didnt see it".

tomaldinho1

18/19 was worse. Finished 6th, City league champions, scousers CL winners with historic comeback in the semi final and we prematurely appointed someone who was obviously going to fail.
Yeah that’s still the worst for me. Appointing someone we knew wasn’t good enough and just sitting back to watch the last 3+ years drift past.

The White Pele

Yes, the worst for me (born in 87) when taking everything into account.

The fall of Ole, the total capitulation of our defence, the embarrassing defeats at the hands of our rivals, two early domestic cup exits, tumescent, dysfunctional football week in week out.

Ralf’s interim period has been a disaster. There’s been talk of a fractured squad all season and this seems to have worsened since Rangnick arrived. Some players taking the piss with their absences and not helped at all by our chaotic dealings in the market leaving us with a bloated squad at the start of the season and a depleted one since Christmas.

Our two homegrown attacking talents Rashford and Greenwood that we wanted a new manager to build a title winning team around have disappeared into total obscurity. In Greenwood’s case potentially forever.

And to top it all off our biggest rivals Liverpool and City are the two best teams in the world with the two best managers and fighting it out again for the biggest honours.

I don’t think any of us could have possibly imagined in August that it would be as bad as that.

haru krentz

I see rangnick's cult still trying to pin l the blame on Ole but they never dare to discuss some facts that we were only 2 points off top 4 when rangnick took over or how manager like conte would take us finish higher and with positive GD. The cult is so strong for someone as mediocre as rangnick.
This season clearly the worst during my lifetime supporting united. I felt 01-02 like apocalypse mostly because SAF decided to retire (decision he reverted half way the season), then 13-14 but with Moyes that was to be expected. This season though, if ealier this season somebody told you we are going to finish 6th with ZERO GD, you'd laugh at their face. Ole shouldve gone in the summer, and board shouldve appointed new manager to continue the work but our board were hopelesz, taking too long to sack Ole and making wrong decision to appoint rangnick completely neglecting the fact that players in our disposal are ill-suited to his prefential system.

redmanx

I started following the club since the late 80s so I've experienced worse. I was really young though and following the club back then was just a few hours' affair once every week or two. Now you get so invested almost everyday because of the newsfeed from all over the place. That's why it hurts more.
There were rough times in the 70s but under Docherty things were looking good, but when Dave Sexton took over although we were still in contention the football we played was stale and boring, a bit like LVGs. Big Ron addressed that and built a very good team which included Robson, Whiteside, McGrath, Stapleton, Moses and Hughes winning 2 FA Cups, but 2nd in the old First Division was nearest we got to winning it. Fergies first few seasons were not great but like Big Ron he had a huge passion for the club and it showed in his face when things went wrong, losing hurt! The time of Moyes was bad and things didnt really improve that much with LVG, Mourinho and Ole, but last season for me was the worst Ive experienced.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Yes probably. We were spoilt for a long time, where “only” winning the league seemed like a flat season. It wasn’t just bad this season, it was embarrassing on and off the pitch.

RopersReturn

It’s been depressing but certainly by no means the worst season. I’m optimistic that we’ve finally appointed a manager who won’t be stand any nonsense from the players, and will gradually weed out and replace the current squad.
If the rumours are true about a potential bid from Sir Jim Radcliffe to buy the club, then that would be terrific.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
I still think the Moyes season is the worst - to go from Champions by 11 points the previous season to 7th whilst being schooled by both City and Liverpool at OT when they were well below their current standards and then finishing below Everton is a disgrace that hasn't be equalled in my mind - yet... :lol: :nervous: