Was that the worst season you ever witnessed?

El Zoido

It was worst in terms of quality and general despair, but I got far more depressed when we’d miss out on the title or a major trophy. Those CL final losses to Barcelona really hurt, for example. Being so close to glory.

I haven’t been too upset this season, in fact I’m so numb and apathetic to it all I didn’t even care by the end. Losing 4-1 to Liverpool back when we were good felt worse than getting thrashed by them now when we’re shite. Maybe it’s just cause I’m getting older.

RomfordRed75

Ive been a fan since 82/83 and this for me is by far the worst.
2018/9 at least had the PSG miracle and we were pretty good for 3/4 months post Ole taking over.
Other seasons like 86/87, 88/89 and 13/14, whilst we were rubbish at least we had likeable players who would give their all.
This season we've not even had a decent domestic cup run, had so many heavy defeats (and to the likes of Watford, Brighton and Leicester), terrible performances week in week out and worst of all for me is the massive divide between the players and fans. All but a couple of the players are remotely likeable and give a shit.

.Phil1968

I was following United home and away late 80s and that was grim. 1990 eventually ended well with the FA cup win but I was convinced we were going down that year. As well as results being poor, some of the football we played was dire and it was only a win at home to Villa in mid April which meant we were safe from relegation.
I think this season equals that shit show though.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
This was by far the worst season I've witnessed as a Utd fan.

Not simply because of the abject showings and dire league finish, it was the divisions in the squad, the absolute lack or professionalism and care. The performances and attitudes of the players in multiple games this season were equivalent to those you would expect from our archest rivals if they were told to pull on a Utd top and take our place for 90 minutes. Has there ever been a Utd squad so full of mercenaries before? You could probably count on one hand how many of our regular first team players were genuinely giving their all for the most of the season (not even all of it), and still have fingers to spare. We finished 6th, and that is probably higher than we deserve.

From having finished the previous season above Liverpool, second only to City, and seemingly getting closer to a trophy, we added 2 undoubtedly world class players in positions we all agreed needed bulking, as well as arguably the most exciting up-and-coming winger in world football at the time - again, another position which needed sorting.

The contrast in the optimism at the start of the season paralleled with the grim reality of what unfolded is essentially what makes this such an awful season. The squad needs total gutting and even if it means finishing outside of Europe for the next couple of seasons, it would be worth it to remove the rot that has set in.

BorisManUtd

Yes, but it didn't and no season ever is going to feel so bad like 2013/14 because it was a shock after years of success. By now, we are used to it. 2018/19 was terrible as well but we had that winning run when Ole became interim + going through in Paris. This year, except for few exciting wins (though we were rubbish) in CL group stage, with Cristiano being main star, there was nothing good to remember.

In this post-Fergie era it seems that every time, after one or two solid seasons (14/15; 16/17-17/18; 19-20-20/21) there is a disaster season where we can see that we actually haven't progressed and that there is need for another restart and rebuild. Frustrating.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
If Liverpool had won the league and then gone onto win the quadruple and we had landed in the ECL then yes. Otherwise this is just another added to a list of naff seasons.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I started following United in the 80s so there were definitely seasons as bad as this one in terms of results. It was a very different experience though. I feel a lot more immersed in the shit show these days, thanks to there being so much more media available to wallow in our mediocrity (including this place!) In terms of the redcafe era this is definitely the season where I’ve felt most down about the quality of our squad. It’s never felt more badly in need of a total overhaul. And that’s a massive bummer.

Especially with City on a roll, Klopp doing such a great job at refreshing Liverpool’s squad and the whole Newcastle sportswashing project about to kick into gear. Which is going to make our rebuild even harder than usual. So yeah, things are pretty bleak. Even with the ETH light at the end of the tunnel.

justsomebloke

Because it certainly wasn't for me. In fact, I can't think of a season in recent years with so many positives.

The Cardiff relegator was finally binned and his cult dispersed. The club is finally moving into the future/reality after being stuck in the past/fantasy land for the past three years. Sure, Rangnick didn't achieve much on the pitch but fixing three years of rot instantly in a temporary role was always gonna be a tough ask. His spell has certainly identified which players that need to be offloaded.

We got to see Ronaldo make a glorious return with 20+goals and exciting youngsters like Elanga given game time. The youth team winning the cup was also great.

I'm sick of all this negativity around. Probably the most enjoyable season since Mourinho's first one.

For the first time since SAF retired a talented manager in his prime has been appointed. A manager that wants to play proper dominant attacking football and not beta counterattacking football. Woodward is gone and the club is seemingly making all the right moves at the moment.

Exciting times ahead!
I admire your unshakeable optimism, but sorry, that's mental. Or a wind-up.

We got the fewest points we had in any PL season, were lucky not to end up in the conference league, failed to have a positive GD for the first time in the PL era, had one of the worst defences in the league, went through three managers and had, probably, no more than about ten PL games that you could feel reasonably good about when the final whistle blew. None of it attributable in any way to extraordinary circumstances or a blight of injuries. If that's not a shit season, then what is?

Also, even worse than the season itself is the fact that our immediate prospects seem hugely worse than they did a year ago. Much of what most would consider the solid core of the team have huge question marks around them that they mostly didn't have a year ago. A squad that looked very much together and quite resilient a year ago is now a babbling cacophony of dissent, entitlement and backstabbing. Yes, some bad figures are gone, but on the whole the situation has deteriorated to an extent beyond my wildest fears last summer.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I started following United in the 80s so there were definitely seasons as bad as this one in terms of results. It was a very different experience though. I feel a lot more immersed in the shit show these days, thanks to there being so much more media available to wallow in our mediocrity (including this place!) In terms of the redcafe era this is definitely the season where I’ve felt most down about the quality of our squad. It’s never felt more badly in need of a total overhaul. And that’s a massive bummer. Especially with City on a roll and Klopp doing such a great job at refreshing Liverpool’s squad. So yeah, pretty bleak.
This is so true. I am hopeful for the future, but social media just seems to want to kick us in the stomach every five minutes. Tweet after tweet of clubs signing players, Manchester United rejected even though it is likely we were never in for that player in the first place. Journalists already dissecting the mess we got ourselves into, some will already be writing off our manager. :(

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Lads, it could be worse. AFC Wimbledon are still on a 28 game winless run having just been relegated. The longest such run for any team in the football league since I've been alive.

Bestietom

73 when Denis Law sent us down to the old 2nd division with a back heel goal.
Very sad day for us, but we bounced straight back up the next year.

BarstoolProphet

In terms of performances, then this has been the worst season for me. I have never experienced a United team being humiliated so many times during a season. Watford, Brighton, Everton and Leicester in addition to the absolutely shocking displays against our biggest rivals. It's like they couldn't even be bothered. Add to that our biggest talent in decades was exposed as an utter scumbag made it a total disaster. The only positive thing to take from this season is FA Youth Cup and the massive amount of changes that has taken place behind the scenes, because it makes it easier to forget this season.

But it felt worse witnessing our fall from grace in 2013/2014 because I certainly wasn't used to seeing United struggle so much during a season.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

The worst, for me, was the Moyes season. And i'm not placing the entire blame upon him. He was never good enough for the job, and he was also given a nearly impossible task. The whole season was like watching an empire collapsing like a house of cards and every nagging fear in my head being manifested. The fear that SAF was the only person holding the club together. A first team whose best players were already past their prime and would need a full rebuild, while City had already assembled a title-winning side. No sense of direction except for the great man's desire to be the best, with the men in suits hiding their inadequacies behind his success. The feeling that without strong leadership, the intimacy that the family values bring would turn to nepotism. But surely such experienced players had enough in them to keep going without SAF. Surely a giant like United had the right men in place. And surely the club knows what they're doing by appointing Moyes... No, no, and no. It was like watching a car crash in slow motion.

There's no need to refer to Solskjaer as the "Cardiff relegator". That's plainly childish, and this place should really move on. I never wanted him to get the full job because i believe he never had (and would never develop) the qualities of a top-class manager. Furthermore, i was certain that, out of respect for the club, he would never speak about how bad United are being run. He would just take it on the chin and get on with it. Which is exactly what he did, and one of the reasons the wheels came off so spectacularly when he lost the dressing room. And i have never subscribed to the notion that, if Ten Hag has a use for (let's say) Maguire or (again, let's say) a false #9/wide role for Martial, that any previous manager should be credited for signing them. For that kind of cash, you should be getting immediate results. Not individually, but as a team that's trying to get closer to how the manager wants it to play. Solskjaer didn't achieve that for the amount of cash he was allowed to spend. But the fact that his overall tenure didn't exactly fall that far away from the ones of his predecessors says a lot about his commitment and his desire to do well. A novice against renown winners like a LvG/Jose or Moyes who had tonnes of experience in the PL. Whether you want to lump him with them as a group of managers who spent 1 billion over the course of the last decade with meagre results or give him credit for steering United to consecutive top-four finishes for the first time since 12/13, it's on you. Most of the time, things aren't just black n' white, and he probably belongs in both categories.

Purely as a manager, Rangnick is a no-mark in United's history. I don't understand either the praise or the hate he's getting. It's not like he implemented anything. On the contrary, especially without the ball, we often looked like a team caught in a limbo under him. The season's over and i still can't figure out whether we were supposed to get close to opponents or keep a shape when defending. On the other hand, going by the hate he's receiving, you would think that we gave him Moyes' six-year deal. Now, i do believe that his consultancy role will offer him plenty of opportunities to talk things over with ETH. But he'll not be the only one giving advice to ETH in his first season in England. How much his opinions will be valued, it depends on ETH. Thank God for that, honestly. There's obviously an element of self-preservation in RR's harsh criticism of the squad. But the fact that he wasn't reprimanded by the club (whose officials seem to be more bothered by the dressing room leaks) is an indication that he hadn't been making stuff up. It's also sure as hell, that ETH is on another level as a coach. But the distance between "this squad is better than what Klopp inherited" in RR's first interview and what followed should raise a few eyebrows. Same with Solskjaer's "i don't want to talk about it" when he was asked if he felt let down. There's a lot of info in there that clearly affects what happens on the pitch. Let's hope ETH is a clever man as well as a great tactician.

Anyway, i feel optimistic because i can put everything behind me and start anew. For the first time in ten years, the club looks like it's considering to reshape itself in order to get its act together. Furthermore, i've watched a bit of Ajax under ETH. I do feel he's worth our patience, and our belief, alongside our support. Because there's some really nice football at the end of the road, if it all goes well.

I just hope that the club is ready to surround him with the right people who will make his life easier at OT so that he doesn't look a deer in the headlights and in full self-preservation mode early on in his tenure.

Paul_Scholes18

This been the worst for me. Liverpool and City killing it and us being at an all time low.

I am still enjoying football, but the CL final will be a hard watch.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
What did Man United achieve with this away record? What did United win?
What's the matter with you? It's a record ffs. Not all records are achieved in title winning seasons. It's just recognition of achievements. You know how it works. Stop being pathetic.

el3mel

What's the matter with you? It's a record ffs. Not all records are achieved in title winning seasons. It's just recognition of achievements. You know how it works. Stop being pathetic.
Achievements? Ask yourself if Liverpool or City would have traded their league titles for this away record you keep bragging about.

One of the most pointless records I have ever seen. Achieved playing in front of empty stands, and won feck all in the long run, even worse, didn't even challenge for the league.

No one really cared about this record except Ole fans. The only pathetic thing is talking about such record while we were trophylss. Small time.

georgipep

Achievements? Ask yourself if Liverpool or City would have traded their league titles for this away record you keep bragging about.

One of the most pointless records I have ever seen. Achieved playing in front of empty stands, and won feck all in the long run, even worse, didn't even challenge for the league.

No one really cared about this record except Ole fans. The only pathetic thing is talking about such record while we were trophylss. Small time.
Are you really that one-dimensionally simple?

What were your expectations last summer? After finish second and playing the Europa final. Then think about what could've happened for all this to blow to pieces.

Records indicate consistency. Consistency breeds results. Our consistency halted and results followed.

el3mel

Are you really that one-dimensionally simple?

What were your expectations last summer? After finish second and playing the Europa final. Then think about what could've happened for all this to blow to pieces.

Records indicate consistency. Consistency breeds results. Our consistency halted and results followed.
We finished 2nd with 74 points without challenging for the league and 12 points away from the top, finishing 5 points ahead of Liverpool who spent the majority of the season with their entire backrow injured and Chelsea who sacked their manager midway in the season, and reached a Europe League final after getting KOed from CL group stage.

You make it sound like we achieved something with these results.

No one cared about our away record because it was simply pointless and United achieved nothing from it in return, couldn't even challenge for the league with it and you're talking about consistency ?

georgipep

We finished 2nd with 74 points without challenging for the league and 12 points away from the top, finishing 5 points ahead of Liverpool who spent the majority of the season with their entire backrow injured and Chelsea who sacked their manager midway in the season, and reached a Europe League final after getting KOed from CL group stage.

You make it sound like we achieved something with these results.

No one cared about our away record because it was simply pointless and United achieved nothing from it in return, couldn't even challenge for the league with it and you're talking about consistency ?
Yeah, I'm sure you wouldn't care if we finished 2nd or 4th...
And it's like we had no injuries, but I guess only other clubs can have excuses. We must win every game, every time. Same as the no crowds excuse. Apparently, only helps United.

Anyway, carry on. I'm not going to change your mind so might as well stop wasting energy trying.

el3mel

Yeah, I'm sure you wouldn't care if we finished 2nd or 4th...
And it's like we had no injuries, but I guess only other clubs can have excuses. We must win every game, every time. Same as the no crowds excuse. Apparently, only helps United.

Anyway, carry on. I'm not going to change your mind so might as well stop wasting energy trying.
Basically, you have nothing to reply with so just called it off.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
It's been the worst I can actually remember can only compare it to league campaigns like 1989/90 but at least those players cared and tried. Some were just nowhere near good enough. Beardsmore ffs.

Josh 76

It's been the worst I can actually remember can only compare it to league campaigns like 1989/90 but at least those players cared and tried. Some were just nowhere near good enough. Beardsmore ffs.
The 1988-89 season was worse than the 1989-90. We won the FA cup that season!

Alive She Cried

In 32 years of watching Utd, this was the first time I didn't watch a match despite being sat in front of the TV anyway. The performances in the last two months of this season didn't deserve our support.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
It was for me.

Born in 1990, first season I remember anything of was the tail end of 92/93 then first season watching some part of a match at any given time 93/94.

Was nothing but success until the 04-06 period whereby I genuinely thought SAF should retire in my teenage naivety and then he came back with a vengence from 06 onwards.

Since SAF, Moyes season was tough to take, LVG's second season was tough to take and Jose's final half season was...well, shite.

Nothing has been as abysmal as this year in my lifetime.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
It's a close tie between this season and 2018-19 one, both were absolute shambles and we were once again celebrating City winning the league and praying for other team to stop Liverpool from winning the Champions League

I'd say 2019 because we had appointed Ole on a permanent basis and given him free reign for a rebuild, knew he was a total hamster who'd be an utter waste of time and money, especially after our run at end of that campaign. At least today, we can be more optimistic about the future under a modern manager and a reshuffle in key positions higher up

United Hobbit

Yes

It wasn't even that the players were trying and things just not coming off, it was the complete and utter disrespect of them, bar Ronaldo and De Gea, to stroll round the pitch not giving a flying feck as they still earnt their obscene wages which the fans who'd spent their time and money going to watch them, had contributed to.

Ole should never have been appointed permanently, let alone extended.

Not sacking him after a completely indefensible result against Liverpool, when we'd already been putting I'm Dreadful performances, with the writing on the wall about his ability to sort it out

Going out of competitions with no fight, the players just gave up

And let's not forget, we had to watch both our bitter rivals fighting it out for the league unchallenged, with Liverpool coming FAR too close for comfort to a historic quadruple which would have bettered our treble, while also equalling our 20 league titles. Let's not forget they may get their 7th cl on Saturday. While we have 3.... it felt so wrong being as nervous for city Sunday as if united were competing for something. A horrible oil club but they were lesser of the 2 evils.

The only SLIGHT positive is it has started to perhaps put in motion the winds of change, as things got SO bad, the club were forced to act. We are finally perhaps seeing some structural changes and have appointed an exciting manager. I shall however reserve judgement until seeing how the summer transfer window goes and if these changes show steps of improvement.

RG 11

Previous seasons we at least had some hope that things will turn around. This one has been absolutely dire. I have skipped so many matches this season because I had zero hope from the team.

All this after the insane optimism we had after the transfer window.

big rons sovereign

2008 when we couldn’t even beat measly portsmouth for a treble for me. i couldn’t look our players in the face for weeks afterwards.
Stitched up by Martin Atkinson. The utter utter twat.

95 was pretty bad for gut wrenching disappointment.

I'm a beautiful thing

73/74,77/78,80/81,86/87,88/89 and this one.
The others seem a long time ago and I can't remember them too well but this felt worse because of the attitude of the players and the way they gave in.
Add the awful performances against Abu Dhabi FC and the lot from self pity city,this one has been horrible

I'm a beautiful thing

1973-74 by far. But even so, the fans had a great time even when we were in free-fall.
Yeah we did,and the team did try but they just weren't good and the season in Division 2 was fun.
Do we still hold the record for the biggest crowd in Division 2,60,000 against Sunderland 3-2

BlueHaze

Probably many veterans in here who have seen far worse in the old days but in my lifetime it's without a doubt this year. We finish second, make 3 solid signings and finish 35 points off the top and end up with a 0 GD not to mention the entire season was turbulent from start to finish. The match going fans had to witness 5-0 4-0 defeats to Liverpool 4-0 against Brighton 4-1 against Watford. No, nothing for me beats this year.