Was that the worst season you ever witnessed?

Furious George

It was just like watching (Alan) Brazil. The 70's and 80's were the 90's and noughties for us compared to Liverpool. They won trophy after trophy while Utd floundered.

You don't know you're born if you weren't excited about Peter Davenport.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
2013/2014.
and 2021/2022.

Both abysmal, and the destruction of everything built during 1989-2013.

2015/16 and 2018/19 were bad, but it was mostly the fault of Van Gaal and Mourinho. But 13-14 and 21-22 is the club literally crumbling. I guess you have to travel to the '70s to see something as damaging (other than the relegation season), or SAF finishing 11th.

Furious George

Bloody hell, it was dreadful.

1-1 with Luton at home.

Stupid orange foam headphones on the way home, trying to listen to Motley Crue's aptly named 'Theatre of Pain' album on a battery dying walkman.

English clubs were banned from Europe for reasons I won't expand on.

We've had a blessed season compared to those mullet days.

Luke1995

I don't see how 2015-16 fits into the discussion. We won the Fa Cup!

2013-14 still gets the cake for me. Not only because of Moyes, but it was so sad seeing the massive declines of Ferdinand and Vidic together. Two truly world class defenders who suddenly just lost it.

Plus, Van Persie and Rooney were way less effective that season than they were in 2012-13. It was like their partnership didn't work out anymore.

I can see why many will point out to the current season, but 13-14 was like everything started slowly falling apart and we had just been league champions a year earlier...

Speako

88/89 when I didn’t miss a game - and boy that was tough. We were awful. But this last season honestly almost tops it. At least back then we had the odd win against the mickeys.

big rons sovereign

It was just like watching (Alan) Brazil. The 70's and 80's were the 90's and noughties for us compared to Liverpool. They won trophy after trophy while Utd floundered.

You don't know you're born if you weren't excited about Peter Davenport.
Just another birtles....

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Just checked the season we got relegated, Leeds won the league while pool won the fa cup.

What a shitshow that must have been.
I don't think it was actually. It was the start of the Docherty revolution, out with the old past-it players and in with youth, attack and flair. The crowd were right behind Docherty that season and the pitch invasion on relegation day was surprisingly joyous, everyone was in no doubt we would bounce straight back. If EtH sets about us the way Docherty did I'll be happy indeed. Well maybe without the relegation :)

SirtheIcarium

1989 and the season Moyes was in charge. Basically the season before Fergie went beastmode, and right after he left.

jesperjaap

I started supporting the club in 1980 as a 6 year old. Seen plenty of awful seasons, Liverpool were winnign everything then and as dominant in fact more than us udner Ferguson.

Fergusons early years were some of the worst for me. ROuting out some of the supposed problem players liek Whiteside and McGrath who were fans favourites and it looked like he had made a big mistake doing so, some of the early signigns were poor as was the football and hard for yougner fans to beleive, but he looked like beign a huge flop for several months.

Even so, this for me is the worst season I can ever remember supporting the club, it hasnt even felt liek I was supporting the club as so much has been unrecognisable now that was always there under some of our poorer teams.

1) There have always been a couple of players to love in our sides and a good spirit. Ronaldo is the only one as a player at the moment really and the spirit isnt there

2) The disharmony within the side - no winning or team mentality and all the leaks etc

3) Lack of effort and attitude

4) Simply awful performaces both individually and collectively. I dont think I can ever remember a season where one of the worlds top clubs has been picked apart and got at so easily over a season, we are lucky to haze a zero goal difference

5) A captain that has no example or belief in him from the fans...this has actually been a problem for a long time, but never so bad as this year

6) The most over rated magical star players. This goes back to my frist point but performacne wise Pogba.....no, Rashford embarrassingly bad and never a start player anyway but most of all Fernandes, world class, Cantona, DeBruyne comparisons, take away the honeymoon he has always been wasteful here and really Pogba had a 3month period of brilliance and that was it and was a let down, Fernandes has actually done less in his time here as a player yet is only getting criticism the last couple of months which has alwways surprised me

7) SO many players in the side simply not good enough playing regularly Telles, Dalot, Lindelof, McTominay, Fred...dont want to say Elanga as its early but we have many a time had a few not god enough but there are loads now and they have cost a lot of money too

8) And to top all of that off, the one player here not nearer the wrogn end of the career who has bought genuine hope from performances of being a true world class star player.......is awaiting whether he will be charged with sex crimes

Yes this season is an all time low in terms of ownership, state of Old Traffod, debt, talent, attitude, management, performance etc etc etc. I and saddened just how bad this side has been this season and actually disgusted some of these players are still here wearing one of the most coveted shirts in world football, ,so few of them have any right to

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Yes this is the worst for me - the heavy defeats from our biggest rivals are the lowest depths

In the Jose/Ole season we had that night in Paris and a record breaking win run when OLE first arrived

Moyes season is also a contender but my expectations post Fergie were low (still Moyes managed to do worse!) Whereas this season I had high hopes for progress

Obviously going back prePL there have been worse years but I doubt many here experienced them

jesperjaap

1989 and the season Moyes was in charge. Basically the season before Fergie went beastmode, and right after he left.
To be fair we were shockingly bad in Fergusons last season in charge. Was only the man mangement and brilliance of Van Persie that won that title. The football minus Van Persie was generally really poor and he actually handed over a poor side to Moyes.

SAying that, yes it was a bad season right from the initial transfer window. A club record signing of Mata who for me never looek dlike fitting into our side with Rooney there despite his brilliance at CHelsea. Let be hoenst as good a pro and character loyal player he has been here, he hasnt been that great...but Fellaini as a siging made my blood boil, was never ever a Manchester United player and he was an expensive signing too yet we were beign linked that season I think with Thiago werent we? Persoanlly as soon as that season started I thought we were doomed so it wasnt that surprising, he had a team near its end, added poorly and the first manager to replace Ferguson was always going to be huge pressure.

Im happy to see him doign well again now at West Ham as he looked finished a while ago, but I always thoguth he did a really good job at Everton

jesperjaap

Yes this is the worst for me - the heavy defeats from our biggest rivals are the lowest depths

In the Jose/Ole season we had that night in Paris and a record breaking win run when OLE first arrived

Moyes season is also a contender but my expectations post Fergie were low (still Moyes managed to do worse!) Whereas this season I had high hopes for progress

Obviously going back prePL there have been worse years but I doubt many here experienced them
Alwyas found it weird even at the start of the swason peopl egenuinel yexpecting us to compete for the title. We had came second during a pandemic that seemed to help us, in a season Liverpool were decimated by injuries and several others had had a bad season, so decieving.

I udnerstand the three signings all looked good on paper....but we were always doomed for me with out total failure to sign a single central midfielder, did anybody really expect a title challenge with mcFred? SAyign that it was hard not to buy into the optimism after the opening day a little but and nobody even as negative as me could have imagined just how poor this season the off field problems, battering etc would be. I expected 4/5th, I didnt expect football often individually and collectively of embarrassingly poor basic errors and weak performacnes though

GarrinchaNZ

Ive been a fan since 82/83 and this for me is by far the worst.
2018/9 at least had the PSG miracle and we were pretty good for 3/4 months post Ole taking over.
Other seasons like 86/87, 88/89 and 13/14, whilst we were rubbish at least we had likeable players who would give their all.
This season we've not even had a decent domestic cup run, had so many heavy defeats (and to the likes of Watford, Brighton and Leicester), terrible performances week in week out and worst of all for me is the massive divide between the players and fans. All but a couple of the players are remotely likeable and give a shit.
I became a fan as an 11-12 year old and that was 1982. I don't think I have ever felt so disconnected in any other season. At least with Ole there was some positivity and I liked what he was trying to do with the culture in the dressing room. As far as players go...talent is one thing, attitude and giving it your fekkin all is another. This is the first time I have considered giving up my MUTV subscription and all that (not that I'd miss Neville's commentary). All in all, I think the Glazers have hollowed out what was once a great club and left a thin veneer.

GarrinchaNZ

In 32 years of watching Utd, this was the first time I didn't watch a match despite being sat in front of the TV anyway. The performances in the last two months of this season didn't deserve our support.
My thoughts and actions, exactly!

Djemba-Djemba

What should be mentioned also is that all season in all competitions I think we had at most 5 good performances with comfortable wins.

Leeds H
Newcastle H
Spurs A
Burnley H
Brentford H

Every other win was a struggle, and of course there were plenty of horrible losses.

It's by far the worst season I have ever seen as a Utd fan. I've never felt as disconnected to the club and especially the players, really dislike about 95% of the squad.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Alwyas found it weird even at the start of the swason peopl egenuinel yexpecting us to compete for the title. We had came second during a pandemic that seemed to help us, in a season Liverpool were decimated by injuries and several others had had a bad season, so decieving.

I udnerstand the three signings all looked good on paper....but we were always doomed for me with out total failure to sign a single central midfielder, did anybody really expect a title challenge with mcFred? SAyign that it was hard not to buy into the optimism after the opening day a little but and nobody even as negative as me could have imagined just how poor this season the off field problems, battering etc would be. I expected 4/5th, I didnt expect football often individually and collectively of embarrassingly poor basic errors and weak performacnes though
I didn't say anywhere that I expected us to compete for the title - I had us around 3rd pushing for 2nd with a cup final perhaps

Obviously massively underachieved

Moriarty

Sexton worse than that for me!
The cup run in 79 was great though, especially the semi-final replay at Goodison. Finished 2nd the following year 2 points behind Liverpool. @ silly lossed at Forest and Leeds cost us and getting tonked at Ipswich.

432JuanMata

What should be mentioned also is that all season in all competitions I think we had at most 5 good performances with comfortable wins.

Leeds H
Newcastle H
Spurs A
Burnley H
Brentford H

Every other win was a struggle, and of course there were plenty of horrible losses.

It's by far the worst season I have ever seen as a Utd fan. I've never felt as disconnected to the club and especially the players, really dislike about 95% of the squad.
It’s the same for me. Moyes season was woeful but it was down to him not being good enough. This season was all on the players who never looked interested and as a fan I felt so disconnected with us.

I'm a beautiful thing

The cup run in 79 was great though, especially the semi-final replay at Goodison. Finished 2nd the following year 2 points behind Liverpool. @ silly lossed at Forest and Leeds cost us and getting tonked at Ipswich.
Went to the last game that season,lost at Leeds and Liverpool won,which meant they would have won it anyway

Nordmore

No. Jose's last season was for me. We played with the underdog mentality against everyone including those newly promoted teams, even at OT. And the Sevilla match and worse, Jose's press.

el3mel

Yeah, I read your reply, saw zero arguments and decided to focus on more productive things. Now I'm busy doing something that reminded me of your post, thus am back.
Whenever you can't reply properly, just try to be sarcastic and shift goal posts to something else. A common tactic on this forum I guess.

OlsensHummelBoots

As a 70s kid and an 80s teenager we've had worse seasons, with worse technical players.

I've never actually despised any of them who put on a red shirt like I do with some of the absolute waankers now masquerading as United players.

The lack of effort and respect really gets on my tits. One or two are exempt. One or two I'd personally jettison into the sea.

Real Name

I've been an United fan since about 1994, so yes definitely the worst. Even worse than Moyes season.

United Hobbit

You have to laugh, up pops a notification from the app

"Who do you think should win the Sir Matt Busby player of the year award"

On this list are the likes of Phil Jones, Lingard, Maguire, Pogba etc (think everyone is eligible)

I thought we'd cancelled it?

Surely Ronaldo walks it... him, DDG and the youngsters who won the FA youth Cup are the only ones who should be considered to be available to vote for.

UpWithRivers

I started supporting the club in 1980 as a 6 year old. Seen plenty of awful seasons, Liverpool were winnign everything then and as dominant in fact more than us udner Ferguson.

Fergusons early years were some of the worst for me. ROuting out some of the supposed problem players liek Whiteside and McGrath who were fans favourites and it looked like he had made a big mistake doing so, some of the early signigns were poor as was the football and hard for yougner fans to beleive, but he looked like beign a huge flop for several months.

Even so, this for me is the worst season I can ever remember supporting the club, it hasnt even felt liek I was supporting the club as so much has been unrecognisable now that was always there under some of our poorer teams.

1) There have always been a couple of players to love in our sides and a good spirit. Ronaldo is the only one as a player at the moment really and the spirit isnt there

2) The disharmony within the side - no winning or team mentality and all the leaks etc

3) Lack of effort and attitude

4) Simply awful performaces both individually and collectively. I dont think I can ever remember a season where one of the worlds top clubs has been picked apart and got at so easily over a season, we are lucky to haze a zero goal difference

5) A captain that has no example or belief in him from the fans...this has actually been a problem for a long time, but never so bad as this year

6) The most over rated magical star players. This goes back to my frist point but performacne wise Pogba.....no, Rashford embarrassingly bad and never a start player anyway but most of all Fernandes, world class, Cantona, DeBruyne comparisons, take away the honeymoon he has always been wasteful here and really Pogba had a 3month period of brilliance and that was it and was a let down, Fernandes has actually done less in his time here as a player yet is only getting criticism the last couple of months which has alwways surprised me

7) SO many players in the side simply not good enough playing regularly Telles, Dalot, Lindelof, McTominay, Fred...dont want to say Elanga as its early but we have many a time had a few not god enough but there are loads now and they have cost a lot of money too

8) And to top all of that off, the one player here not nearer the wrogn end of the career who has bought genuine hope from performances of being a true world class star player.......is awaiting whether he will be charged with sex crimes

Yes this season is an all time low in terms of ownership, state of Old Traffod, debt, talent, attitude, management, performance etc etc etc. I and saddened just how bad this side has been this season and actually disgusted some of these players are still here wearing one of the most coveted shirts in world football, ,so few of them have any right to
Exactly this. I started supporting only 3 years after so I guess we saw the same eras. On a personal note what topped it off for me is that my son is finally old enough to be into football and we have sat down and watched United together for the first time. Every fathers dream right?

jesperjaap

I didn't say anywhere that I expected us to compete for the title - I had us around 3rd pushing for 2nd with a cup final perhaps

Obviously massively underachieved
Sorry wasnt aiming that comment at you, more a general feeling on here from many at the time

georgipep

Whenever you can't reply properly, just try to be sarcastic and shift goal posts to something else. A common tactic on this forum I guess.
Look at your own replied and arguments. I've provided my point of view and why, for me, both the records and the results mattered.

PaulRich

Between us finishing 2nd in 1987-88 and us winning the FA cup 1989-1990 we were utter dogshit. Worrying about relegation wasn't something we laughed at Everton fans for back then!

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Yes, it was the worst. Every season has positives if you're willing to look hard enough and lower the bar. But this season was truly shit and I sincerely hope it's the worst I ever have to suffer through.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It's similar to the "worst match" thread: expectation is key.

I know some people genuinely believed that we had something at the beginning of the season, not least after Ronaldo signed - but for me, I haven't had any genuine belief since Fergie retired.

Optimism - on general principle - yes. Genuine, deep-down belief - no. There have always been far too many question marks for that.

This mindset has become more and more established, season by season. So, for me, the Moyes season was much worse than this one - because at that time I, at least, had a very strong hope that we wouldn't go completely to pieces after Fergie.

In terms of being truly emotionally affected by a poor or disappointing season, I'd have to go way back - to being a kid, before Fergie got it right. Others have mentioned '89 - that was definitely a bleak season. I'd also mention '86, actually - winning the first ten, everyone buzzing, talking about the title...and then ending up 4th.

First game I really remember was the 1976 cup final which we lost to Southampton, Sammy hit the crossbar with a header just before Saints scored. We were good under Tommy Doc, Sexton was efficient but dull, no flair although we did turn the Pool over now and again although they kept running away with the league. Big Ron was fun, attacking football and the occasional cup. Fergie started well, lost the way around 89 and looked like being sacked before Mark Robins saved his job, the rest is history. I never felt Moyes was up to the job so just assumed a new manger would sort it out, how wrong was I. This season has been the biggest disappointment, from second with three good signings to a complete shitshow with players who don't care and a board who don't know what they are doing.
Night is darkest just before the dawn allegedly, hopefully this is the case.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I know this is the United forum but from an Everton perspective it has been the worst I have seen - hiring an ex-Liverpool man, nearly getting relegated and the shocking stuff going on behind the scenes of the club with the owners etc. make it worse than the stuff I had to endure in the early 00s. As I'm only 28 I don't remember those struggles as much as I do/will remember now.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I don't think it was actually. It was the start of the Docherty revolution, out with the old past-it players and in with youth, attack and flair. The crowd were right behind Docherty that season and the pitch invasion on relegation day was surprisingly joyous, everyone was in no doubt we would bounce straight back. If EtH sets about us the way Docherty did I'll be happy indeed. Well maybe without the relegation :)
Well we'll need the power of hindsight for that one,maybe we will indeed look fondly back on this season in a few season time and talking about the ten hag revolution!

Tap

Yes this season along with the 18/19 season with Jose’s disastrous 3rd season and Ole’s similarly disastrous, limp finish to the season are the worst.

Darkhorsez

I’ve been supporting Utd since 1980. We’ve had our ups and downs but i consider this season as the absolute worse as there were times I did not want to watch the team. Zero heart and passion from this team. Hope never to experience the same again.