Television Was the ending to Lost really THAT bad? | Yes

shaky

I watched it all for the very first time last month. Thought it was excellent and had no issues with the ending. I guess watching it binge-style made it easier to ignore faults though. Might have been different if I'd been waiting years for the "answers" to be revealed.

b82REZ

I've ended up going down the rabbit hole of the subreddit. Didn't realise how much I'd forgotten, Danielle the French woman being the main one.

Maybe I'll finally give it a second chance. I belive all the episodes are on Prime.

SirAF

Ageist
The show could have been great, but in the end the 'cool questions' posed by the show writers were just that. They had no answers. There's a huge list of enormous plot points introduced and then abandoned - for me it's just bad writing.

The ending might as well have been 'and then he woke up'. They hyped it up themselves, painted into a corner and then ran away imo.

Somewhat surprising given Lindelof has shown some real 'full arc' stuff since then. (Leftovers/Watchmen)
It depends how you chose to view it though. I view LOST as being about the characters and their redemption - the story and the mysteries takes backseat. I totally get the other viewpoint though.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
At first time of viewing Lost was fcuking awesome. One of the most addictive TV shows ever made. There's no doubt that the ending was a cop out, as the show really strung you along with these insane mysteries and coincidences that were just never really explained all that well (and probably couldn't be). It was such a disappointment when it ended.

That said.. once you make your peace with it, you can rewatch it and still relive all of those insane cliff hanger moments and revelations. The music, cinematography, characters, plot*, actors, suspense, shocks and intrigue were all just masterpieces by themselves.

Some of those moments off the top of my head having not watched it in many years:
- When they're on the raft and bump into the 'pirates'
- When they wash up on the beach and you see the tail section survivors for the first time (they seem like savages)
- When you see the 'others' and one of the kids is dragging a teddy bear through the woods
- When they're burying someone and Sun says 'boat'
- When you see Libby was in a mental home staring at Hurley way before they go to the island
- When Jack is kidnapped and when they go to rescue him find him playing catch with the others

Fcuk I need to watch it again

b82REZ

At first time of viewing Lost was fcuking awesome. One of the most addictive TV shows ever made. There's no doubt that the ending was a cop out, as the show really strung you along with these insane mysteries and coincidences that were just never really explained all that well (and probably couldn't be). It was such a disappointment when it ended.

That said.. once you make your peace with it, you can rewatch it and still relive all of those insane cliff hanger moments and revelations. The music, cinematography, characters, plot*, actors, suspense, shocks and intrigue were all just masterpieces by themselves.

Some of those moments off the top of my head having not watched it in many years:
- When they wash up on the beach and you see the tail section survivors for the first time (they seem like savages)
- When you see the 'others' and one of the kids is dragging a teddy bear through the woods
- When you see Libby was in a mental home staring at Hurley way before they go to the island
- When Jack is kidnapped and when they go to rescue him find him playing catch with the others

This has just reminded me of one of 6he biggest gripes I had while watching it originally.

Why were the Others sometimes dressed in rags? I vaguely remember some off hand comment about it being done to throw off the survivors, but IMO that was a decision 100% they changed after the fact. I think originally they wanted some indigenous people on the island but later opted for the hippy scientists bringing the majority of them to the island.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Great show when it kicked off. Very quickly they realised they had a tiger by the tail and carried on spinning for advertising dollars, rather than attempt to plan out a long term plan for a finish.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Great show when it kicked off. Very quickly they realised they had a tiger by the tail and carried on spinning for advertising dollars, rather than attempt to plan out a long term plan for a finish.
Yup. First season was one of the greatest things TV could offer for a show. None of that absurd garbage from later seasons, just people trapped on the island trying to figure everything out. It was perfect.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

The Ethan reveal was the big moment for me.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I enjoyed the ending for what it was, but there is no doubt that it did not meet the expectations set up for it in the first seasons.

They basically fecked it up by making too many seasons, which made it impossible to maintain suspense and coherence and the final ending was basically

"OK, we were sussed and then claimed we weren't so we'll have to make something else up. Any ideas?"

"how about we still do the purgatory thing, but different?"

"brilliant! I love it. That's what we'll do."

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
And the opening scene where you're just watching some random dude start his day then you realize he's living in the hatch
Maaaakkkkkeeee your own kind of music!

Yes! Also the Henry Gale episodes were really good.
Aw man, so many great moments and characters :drool:

For me that's why I don't mind the ending that much. Just purely because the characters never stopped being themselves *cough* whatthefeckhappenedtotyrionvarysjamiecerseijonsnow

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
Maaaakkkkkeeee your own kind of music!

Aw man, so many great moments and characters :drool:

For me that's why I don't mind the ending that much. Just purely because the characters never stopped being themselves *cough* whatthefeckhappenedtotyrionvarysjamiecerseijonsnow
At the time I was in year 11 at school and the episodes would come out in the US a few days before here, I believe on a Thursday night. On Friday mornings we had double technology lessons and I would blag going to the computer room to do coursework, along with my friend from a different class and we'd watch it together online. Such good memories, was so good being a Friday as well.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Sawyer and Hurley were my favourites

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I only ever watched the show years after it ever aired, so I was prepped with the knowledge of expecting an underwhelming ending, so my judgment is definitely clouded (or more objective?)

In all, I think the actual ending was alright. Definitely not that bad. The final season(s) in general was the problem, it feel very awkward and I agree with general sentiment of the thread — the first two seasons were phenomenal pieces of TV, but then it takes a bit of a dive downward as it’s packed with filler (if I recall correctly, I remember reading that there was a big writers strike at some point midway through the show which contributed to pacing issues) and then never fully recovers.

But I also agree with the thread that The Constant is possibly the best episode of TV ever made.

The show had so many of *those* moments, you know? The Constant; Not Penny’s Boat; “Kate, we have to go back”; the Walkabout episode; S2’s general philosophical debate between Locke and Jack etc etc. Really good show in all.

And I’m telling you all now; Damon Lindelof takes the mystique and delicacy that Lost is famous for and cultivated it into something special in The Leftovers. Go watch that if you haven’t.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Hope we all saw the ‘extra‘ episode they put out a while later. I think it cleared up a few mysteries.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I only ever watched the show years after it ever aired, so I was prepped with the knowledge of expecting an underwhelming ending, so my judgment is definitely clouded (or more objective?)

In all, I think the actual ending was alright. Definitely not that bad. The final season(s) in general was the problem, it feel very awkward and I agree with general sentiment of the thread — the first two seasons were phenomenal pieces of TV, but then it takes a bit of a dive downward as it’s packed with filler (if I recall correctly, I remember reading that there was a big writers strike at some point midway through the show which contributed to pacing issues) and then never fully recovers.

But I also agree with the thread that The Constant is possibly the best episode of TV ever made.

The show had so many of *those* moments, you know? The Constant; Not Penny’s Boat; “Kate, we have to go back”; the Walkabout episode; S2’s general philosophical debate between Locke and Jack etc etc. Really good show in all.

And I’m telling you all now; Damon Lindelof takes the mystique and delicacy that Lost is famous for and cultivated it into something special in The Leftovers. Go watch that if you haven’t.
With The Constant and International Assassin, Lindelof has 2 of the greatest tv episodes of all time under his belt.

The Leftovers is as close to perfect as a show has ever got for me

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Absolutely fantastic ending.

The fact people think they were saying they were in purgatory is genuinely worrying. Lack of very basic comprehension.
It kind of was purgatory - the final episode not the whole program I mean.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Watched up as far as end of season 2. Just lost interest, too many cliff hangers and felt like a lot of filler. I just remember at the time the producers saying they had the finale already written, but 2 series were added due to its popularity so I just gave up. It felt like they added more questions than a storyline.

Sylar

Assume spoiler tags arent needed given this is like 15 years old.

Somebody remind me why the 'Others' took Walt? What was their reason? One of the things I couldnt remember, except that he was a child? And babies kept dying?

Arzt blowing up and Hurley saying youve got arzt on you still makes me laugh.

Also did anybody else use 4 8 15 16 23 42 in the lottery?:nervous:

Adamsk7

This thread has brought up old wounds and made them fresh again!

I have never been so disappointed with something I loved so much, even if my girlfriend cheated on me:lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Somebody remind me why the 'Others' took Walt? What was their reason? One of the things I couldnt remember, except that he was a child? And babies kept dying?

I think because he was special, because of the fertility issues and also to use Michael to lure Jack, Kate and Sawyer to them.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Because the kid playing Walt got old as feck really quickly and they wanted rid of his character.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Currently near the end of season 3 of this. Won't finish it until late next year because I'm doing one episode per week.

Enjoying it a lot so far. The first half of season 3 was rocky but it's still entertaining enough. Get the feeling it's going to get a bit silly, though.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Currently near the end of season 3 of this. Won't finish it until late next year because I'm doing one episode per week.

Enjoying it a lot so far. The first half of season 3 was rocky but it's still entertaining enough. Get the feeling it's going to get a bit silly, though.
I think this was when the Writers Strike hit.

Green_Red

What I remember is that the writers strike happened before the last series and it almost felt that when they came back to finish it out that they had gotten lost as to where they were planning to take the series. It felt like it was just close it off so that they could move on from it. Didn't end the way it felt it should have. So many unresolved threads.

I wonder if that's noticeable when you rewatch it now or if the experience of waiting for the writers strike to end impacted the experience of watching it or not.

b82REZ

The kid that played Walt hit puberty and started to look much older.

They tried to reintroduce him in the flashforwards but iirc he only briefly appeared in one episode where Locke found him.

Sylar

Because the kid playing Walt got old as feck really quickly and they wanted rid of his character.
The kid that played Walt hit puberty and started to look much older.

They tried to reintroduce him in the flashforwards but iirc he only briefly appeared in one episode where Locke found him.
Haha, I meant with regards to storyline purpose. Why did they want him or why did they want him to try and lure Jack, Kate and Sawyer to kidnap them.
Jack, yeah hes a doctor. But the other two?

So long that I cant remember.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I never felt a massive letdown by the final episode itself, as the show was quite clearly on a downhill path for a while now. It was obvious that they won't be able to tie it all together... and they didn't. But it was bad.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Haha, I meant with regards to storyline purpose. Why did they want him or why did they want him to try and lure Jack, Kate and Sawyer to kidnap them.

I think he was going to be this "special" child who could talk to the island, or see the future? I'm not sure either!

b82REZ

What I remember is that the writers strike happened before the last series and it almost felt that when they came back to finish it out that they had gotten lost as to where they were planning to take the series. It felt like it was just close it off so that they could move on from it. Didn't end the way it felt it should have. So many unresolved threads.

I wonder if that's noticeable when you rewatch it now or if the experience of waiting for the writers strike to end impacted the experience of watching it or not.
The writer's strike happened for season 4. I believe that is also the shortest season. It was from that point the amount of episodes per season were reduced.

b82REZ

They never said, just that he was special. They were probably going to make him the new Jacob or something.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
I think this was when the Writers Strike hit.
Writers strike hit while they were doing season 4, I think? Think that's why it's half the length of all the other seasons. Could be wrong, though.

Season 3 just struggles with having too many characters in too many places. Just as a loose example, Game of Thrones was brave enough in its first six seasons to cut away from characters for long stretches (sometimes entire episodes or seasons would pass without characters turning up) because every single storyline, bar a couple, were all as entertaining as each other. The problem with Lost is that once you get a character like Desmond in play, you don't want to spend a week looking at yet another Claire flashback. Can't speak to what they do in later seasons but they should have canned the flashbacks in season 2 - they'd more than served their purpose.