Television Was the ending to Lost really THAT bad? | Yes

SirAF

Ageist
Did thet get around to fully explaining wtf Richard Alpert's story was?
It's such a long time ago, but there was the Richard centric episode "Ab Aeterno" that I believe explored Alpert's origin story.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Not compared to the utter atrocity of the final season of Game of Thrones

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah, i'm not accepting Lost as a very good ending. :lol:

Wumminator is a confirmed troll.
Yeah, he's definitely wumming this time. If not, then worse still he's towing the party line he's been fed.

Basically the island was originally supposed to be purgatory thus easily explaining away all the sci fi crap. Clever bods figured it out immediately, producers panicked and chatted shit, changed the island to now pre-purgatory and expected us to swallow it. Now the sci fi crap couldn't all be explained properly and had to be retrofitted. Didn't work out.

RUUD_10_LEGEND

Enjoying reading this thread. What an experience Lost was. From that first intriguing advert for it on Channel 4, to getting up at 4am to watch the simulcast of the finale on Sky at the end of it.

I loved the show and stuck with it til the end. While the answers to the mysteries were never quite as satisfying as you'd hoped for and, as an atheist, the ending was a bit on the 'religious' side, it was still wrapped up very nicely I thought.

I miss the days of pouring over forums for clues every week and having to endure that hour-long wait for the 350mb episodes to download through a torrent in a race to see the latest episode before friends.

The season 2 finale is still probably my favourite episode of TV ever, although I felt let down by those 6 episodes that followed in one chunk in season 3, which for some reason were kept separate to the rest of season 3 which came months later.

The whole temple and smoke monster version of John Locke towards the end irked me though. If you're gonna kill off a great character for shock value, you have to leave him dead. It was like they regretted killing him and then shoe-horned the actor back in in any way they could.

Man I miss those mysteries though: the others, the whispers, the smoke monster, the 'Hurley bird' etc. The show had some epic moments throughout too (Walt being taken, flipping the key in the hatch, realising you've just seen the survivors' plane break apart in the sky above what seems like a normal community, Not Penny's boat...I could go on) that just added to the drama and intrigue.

The show is worth re-watching just for Sawyer, Locke, Desmond and Hurley. Jack was very well acted too.

As a side note, I've never been able to hear or read the word 'Minnesota' since without hearing "My name's Henry Gale, I'm from Minnesota" :lol:

Andy_Cole

Enjoying reading this thread. What an experience Lost was. From that first intriguing advert for it on Channel 4, to getting up at 4am to watch the simulcast of the finale on Sky at the end of it.

I loved the show and stuck with it til the end. While the answers to the mysteries were never quite as satisfying as you'd hoped for and, as an atheist, the ending was a bit on the 'religious' side, it was still wrapped up very nicely I thought.

I miss the days of pouring over forums for clues every week and having to endure that hour-long wait for the 350mb episodes to download through a torrent in a race to see the latest episode before friends.

The season 2 finale is still probably my favourite episode of TV ever, although I felt let down by those 6 episodes that followed in one chunk in season 3, which for some reason were kept separate to the rest of season 3 which came months later.

The whole temple and smoke monster version of John Locke towards the end irked me though. If you're gonna kill off a great character for shock value, you have to leave him dead. It was like they regretted killing him and then shoe-horned the actor back in in any way they could.

Man I miss those mysteries though: the others, the whispers, the smoke monster, the 'Hurley bird' etc. The show had some epic moments throughout too (Walt being taken, flipping the key in the hatch, realising you've just seen the survivors' plane break apart in the sky above what seems like a normal community, Not Penny's boat...I could go on) that just added to the drama and intrigue.

The show is worth re-watching just for Sawyer, Locke, Desmond and Hurley. Jack was very well acted too.

As a side note, I've never been able to hear or read the word 'Minnesota' since without hearing "My name's Henry Gale, I'm from Minnesota" :lol:
I remember having a GCSE or A level exam on the season finale night. I avoided the radio etc that day, did my exam and came home to watch to avoid all spoilers.

My favourite episode from memory was Season 3 finale I think. Charlie in the water with ‘Not Penny’s Boat’ written on his hand.

With Locke as the shadow villain at the end. Apparently this was meant to be Mr Echo whom they had big plans for. He got deported or something so had to write him out quickly.

Ah memories of Lost. Season 1-3 were great.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I remember having a GCSE or A level exam on the season finale night. I avoided the radio etc that day, did my exam and came home to watch to avoid all spoilers.

My favourite episode from memory was Season 3 finale I think. Charlie in the water with ‘Not Penny’s Boat’ written on his hand.

With Locke as the shadow villain at the end. Apparently this was meant to be Mr Echo whom they had big plans for. He got deported or something so had to write him out quickly.

Ah memories of Lost. Season 1-3 were great.
Why would he be deported ? I assume all actors have there visa sorted out in advance by the production house.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
I didn't mind the pre-heaven/purgatory/pre-hell(?) storyline in the last season, but regular one was bad, really bad. Also, that Joshua guy was as evil, and probably more than Dude in Black.

Andy_Cole

Why would he be deported ? I assume all actors have there visa sorted out in advance by the production house.
This is what I remember hearing at the time. Just looked at his Wikipedia and it says this:

Akinnuoye-Agbaje asked to be written off Lost, citing a desire to return to London after his foster parents' deaths and to direct a film there.

So I guess it was one of those stupid rumours you hear in secondary school. Not like these days where you can quickly Google and call bullshit from your phone!

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I didn't mind the pre-heaven/purgatory/pre-hell(?) storyline in the last season, but regular one was bad, really bad. Also, that Joshua guy was as evil, and probably more than Dude in Black.
I don't remember any joshua guy. The biggest prick i found was lockes boss.

And i today found out that he was hurleys boss too!

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Up to the Boone episode on this rewatch, got my wee boy snoozing on the couch beside me after a particularly difficult night of coughing and sneezing.

When I first saw this episode I shed a few tears over Boone's death and now, fifteen years later, I'm crying like mad over Aaron's birth.

Show has got layers, ya see.

forevrared

I guess my main problem with the ending is it was just a variation of what most fans already suspected by the second season or so. I remember Lost being my first experience with podcasts in 2005/2006 or so - Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse had a weekly wrap-up/review if I remember right - and basically shot down all the purgatory and near-purgatory theories very early on.

I also wonder if I'd have felt the same way about it in the age of Netflix and binging as opposed to watching each season week by week on TV.

That said, still one of my all-time favorite shows and probably the last one I watched all the way through on TV.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I guess my main problem with the ending is it was just a variation of what most fans already suspected by the second season or so. I remember Lost being my first experience with podcasts in 2005/2006 or so - Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse had a weekly wrap-up/review if I remember right - and basically shot down all the purgatory and near-purgatory theories very early on.

I also wonder if I'd have felt the same way about it in the age of Netflix and binging as opposed to watching each season week by week on TV.

That said, still one of my all-time favorite shows and probably the last one I watched all the way through on TV.
I felt the same as you did! On this second watch though I'm actually enjoying it more because I'm spending less time thinking about all the secrets and more time on the superbly written characters. Bingeing is definitely a decent way to watch this.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Well, good for them, it was just one part of last season that was that.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I'm watching this and I'm not sure what to make of it after season 1 but I can't stop watching it. It's weird as feck.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Never finished it and this thread piqued my interest. my Mrs has never seen it so we’ve just started it, 6 episodes in and I’ve forgotten how good S1 was.

Really enjoyed reading this @RUUD_10_LEGEND, great memories of an incredible show and everything that surrounded it for us fans. Cheers.

DouLou

Been caught pooping
Ah it's been a long time since I thought about Lost. Honestly that show was something else and I doubt we'll ever get something like it again. It was a complete phenomenon, I remember almost everyone talking about and trying to guess what was going on, and some of the cliffhangers made people go crazy.

The ending was pretty fecking shit though. The whole afterlife angle was so weird. I mean I get Lost got a bit spiritual/mystical towards the end, but the whole "Everyone ends up in purgatory until Locke rescues them" was just a big nothing. Also it seemed to have confused loads of people into thinking the point was that they were all dead on the island as well (They weren't!!!!!).

For me it kind of fell apart when they introduced Jacob and the "Bad guy". I also hated the big reveal of the black smoke, felt like they got to season 6 and thought "feck guys, we still have no idea what this thing is do we". In fact I think it was the same for a lot of the mysteries... write something in then worry about explaining it later.

Traub

They clearly didn't have a proper thought out plan for the end. I seem to remember some temple that was built up to be something important?

Anyway, I will give this show some of the greatest cliff hangers and reveals of all time. There are two which stand out:
1. I think the start of season 3, where Ben wasn't invited to the Book club. They then show the plane blowing up over the island, and they zoom out showing a tiny perfect village in the middle of the island. That was incredible considering how they built up the others at the end of season 2 (by the way remember when someone couldn't be shot in season 2? wtf was that about).
2. May have been the end of season 3, where Jack is shouting "we have to go back". That sudden realisation that they had somehow got off the island was amazing.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
They clearly didn't have a proper thought out plan for the end. I seem to remember some temple that was built up to be something important?

Anyway, I will give this show some of the greatest cliff hangers and reveals of all time. There are two which stand out:
1. I think the start of season 3, where Ben wasn't invited to the Book club. They then show the plane blowing up over the island, and they zoom out showing a tiny perfect village in the middle of the island. That was incredible considering how they built up the others at the end of season 2 (by the way remember when someone couldn't be shot in season 2? wtf was that about).
2. May have been the end of season 3, where Jack is shouting "we have to go back". That sudden realisation that they had somehow got off the island was amazing.
Could you remind me why they had to go back to the island? Were they never off it, or in the wrong alternate universe and their atoms were drawing them back? Or would them refusing cause an end to all existence?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
When I lived in Alabama the unofficial State motto was "At least we're not Mississippi".

Lost's motto should be "At least we're not Game of Thrones".

So yes, it was bad. Really bad.

Traub

Could you remind me why they had to go back to the island? Were they never off it, or in the wrong alternate universe and their atoms were drawing them back? Or would them refusing cause an end to all existence?
:lol: all of those are plausible

SirAF

Ageist
To protect the island from the Man in Black.

Sylar

Wasn't jack feeling guilty because he became a celeb or something as part of oceanic six?

Although I thought locke escaped too? With Ben? But guess that was after? And they wanted to protect the island?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Wasn't jack feeling guilty because he became a celeb or something as part of oceanic six?

Although I thought locke escaped too? With Ben? But guess that was after? And they wanted to protect the island?
I always thought that Jack felt guilty because of those that were left behind and he also NEEDED the island since his life without it didn't have purpose?

SirAF

Ageist

Locke "escaped" to bring the others back to the island, if I recall correctly.

I always thought that Jack felt guilty because of those that were left behind and he also NEEDED the island since his life without it didn't have purpose?
Yeah, that would be correct I think.

Sylar

Yeah that makes sense and I partially remember that. Him being a doctor didn't fulfill him
Tempted to watch it again as a binge
Reckon with knowing the main things it might not be an issue with later seasons

Locke "escaped" to bring the others back to the island, if I recall correctly.

Yeah, that would be correct I think.

Ah he escapes afterwards yeah? And Ben followed and took him out due to MiB
Ahh probably should watch a recap or just watch it again

SirAF

Ageist
Ah he escapes afterwards yeah? And Ben followed and took him out due to MiB
Ahh probably should watch a recap or just watch it again
Yup. Ben killed him to use him as bait to get the others back, I think. I need another rewatch myself - got the Blu Rays :drool:

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
The ending of GoT was weak, but my god Lost is worse by a country mile. Absolute abomination of an ending to a series I loved dearly. :mad:

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
This thread made me want to dig back in and finish it, I only made the end of s2 back in the day.

Halfway through s3 and although it’s obviously aged a little, it’s still cracking tv. Some great character dynamics and the ‘one more episode’ factor is huge!

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
They belonged on that island. They escaped because..anyone would try to, but in actuality they were far happier there.