Was there a more beautiful player than Ronaldinho?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
16 years since he signed for Barca. Whilst he lacked the consistency of Messi and Ronaldo, he played the game at another level for a couple of seasons in his prime. Never have I enjoyed watching a footballer more than I did him.

His performance at the Bernabeu still ranks as one of the greatest individual performances of all time.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
No. One of the most exciting players to watch. I don’t think I’ve had that level of excitement watching a player since

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
Magnificent magician. People tune in for these type of footballers, the ones where you just know that magic can be created at any given moment. Legend of the game. Can’t call yourself a football fan if you havent enjoyed Ronaldinho play. He could retire defenders after games, he was that good.

His archive is legendary.

Last edited:

CallyRed

He is the best player I have ever watched live. A magician of a player. It seemed so natural to him.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He was so awesome. You simply paid extra attention when Ronaldinho was on the ball.

Nevertheless, his peak was short indeed.

SteveW

Despite not being one of my favourite players I'd have to say in terms of beauty Zidane had few if any equals. Such elegance.

Ronaldinho was incredible though. Absolute magician

K13

Yes ... just my preference - Roberto Baggio

Chipper

Adulterer.
No. Next question.

The most entertaining player I've ever seen, full of skill and artistry. He did what he wanted when he wanted and the fun he was having on the pitch translated across to those watching. He'd play with a smile and he'd make the people watching smile.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Either him or Messi.

Anytime time either one of them has the ball you know magic could be seconds away.

redshaw

Yes, probably non better.

One player who I feel brings similar joy, excitement and trickery is Alvaro Recoba.

SambaBoy

Such a quality player for them 4-5 seasons. Had that aura when he got the ball in the final third where he could create a goal from nothing. I suspect if he played these days, a lot of players would talk about his lack of defensive contribution and whether he is really worth it, which is why sometimes all this tactical analysis and overanalysing makes the game worse. He's a pure entertainer whilst being that good that he was one of the best players in the world.

Raven

My favourite ever player to watch. Absolute artist who seemed to find the game too easy.

Bobski

That era in Spain was a joy to watch, Ronaldinho one week, Zidane the next, with healthy helpings of guys like Valeron and Riquleme. Aesthetics and expression were greater than stats, then we entered the Ronaldo v Messi period.

MalcolmTucker

Maybe my favourite player but not the most beautiful - the likes of Zidane, Maradona and Iniesta are far more fluid players to watch whereas Ronaldinho was awkward in his style but I guess that's all subjective.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

From all the GOATs, Maradona is the only one that can rival him. He's had infinite amount of tricks and insane skill moves that he used so often (and so efficiently!). The only difference is, Maradona is a huge cnut and Ronaldinho is one of the most likeable characters the football had ever seen.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Aesthetically i prefer plenty of players over him. I'd never question his effectiveness and usually he was very good to watch especially his passing, but there was also a bit too much in the way of rehearsed looking street tricks, double stepovers etc. that while he deployed far more efficiently than most others that were fond of them are not really things i find most aesthetically pleasing about football. the exaggerated no-look passes, though they can be effective will also never be anything other than cheesy looking.

Kemizee

Ronaldinho always created an expectation concerning the limits to which football skills could be displayed. Whenever he was on the ball, you just knew he had the ability to do anything he wanted with it. Everything was so easy for him. No other player is exactly like him. The only guy who seemed a bit close is Jay Jay Okocha. Maestros and artists on the ball.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Luis Ronaldo, Michael Laudrup, Zinedine Zidane also come to mind. Iniesta as well — aesthetically perfect players.

Andersons Dietician

Amazing as Ronaldo and Messi are for some reason they don’t really have the same affect on me as watching that video up top of Ronaldinho or someone like Zidane.

When he started using his back to assist goals he was maybe starting to take the piss a little bit :lol:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
The original Ronaldo for me, he really was a force of nature.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Ronaldinho always created an expectation concerning the limits to which football skills could be displayed. Whenever he was on the ball, you just knew he had the ability to do anything he wanted with it. Everything was so easy for him. No other player is exactly like him. The only guy who seemed a bit close is Jay Jay Okocha. Maestros and artists on the ball.
Djaminha

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
Absolute joy to watch, got a standing ovation at the Bernabeu.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Amazing player to watch especially in his prime, he was just so fun to watch.

However he tends to get over rated, especially when you get people calling him the best ever, which I think is just nostalgia.

He wasn't even the best Brazilian of his generation, that goes to R9 which is no slight on Ronaldinho of course.

jesperjaap

As the OP said it was really only for a period of about three years he was out of this world, but during that period he was one of the most exciting players to watch but there are plenty of others, for me Jay Jay Okocha was exciting to watch for Bolton, even Ginola. then there are the likes of Boban, Kaka, Riquelme, Zidane, Ronaldo, Rui Costa, Recoba, Baggio....so may from Serie A at its prime.

Still nobody even comes close to Maradona to watch with the ball at his feet like absolute glue though, on another level totally to everybody including Messi for me with the power, low centre of gravity, tricks and just the way he could be running at full pelt and turn or drag the ball back. Any younger fans should just watch a Maradon highlight reel, simply incredible to watch

Utdfanabroad

Me and a friend were talking about him a while ago and we both agreed he's the best player we've ever seen. He made the game look effortless and more importantly, he looked like he loved every single minute of it

jesperjaap

However he tends to get over rated, especially when you get people calling him the best ever, which I think is just nostalgia.

He wasn't even the best Brazilian of his generation, that goes to R9 which is no slight on Ronaldinho of course.
Agree, especially considering he carried injuries his whole career, for me ROanldo is the second best player I have ever seen behind Maradona, the spell at Barcelona and Inter especially club wise he was ridiculously good.

People also tend to forget how majestic Rivaldo was at Barcelona for a similar period as Ronadhino in a fairly average Barcelona side, he was Cantonaesque in the difference he made to that side at the time for league titles

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Hard to argue Against it. My favorites to watch were Ronaldo (phenomeno) and Baguio though.

Raven

Maybe my favourite player but not the most beautiful - the likes of Zidane, Maradona and Iniesta are far more fluid players to watch whereas Ronaldinho was awkward in his style but I guess that's all subjective.
Awkward in his style :lol:

Saffron

Is he supposed to be good looking ? Looks like someone’s fecked about with a Skyrim character creation :lol:
Hetero men’s idea of what a good looking guy looks like is so awful.

Ronaldinho was the most entertaining player ever for me.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

I remember a few fans of his calling him that at the time. To me that was more about teenagers / young adults growing up seeing him in his peak when he left a huge impression on them, so it was hard to envisage anyone being better.

To be fair there was a view emerging during the 2005/06 season that, if he was to maintain this level for another couple of years, he'd be a shout for best of all. Depends what people value - his close control and mastery of the ball in tight spaces arguably remains unmatched, while others had greater end product, longevity, etc.