Was there a more beautiful player than Ronaldinho?

Irrational.

When we didn't sign him I didn't get over it for years. An absolute magician.

Feck Barca and feck that rat Kenyon. I'm convinced he sabotaged that deal as he was pissing off to Chelsea with our list of transfers.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Eric was a thing of beauty to watch at United. I feel for the younger generation of fans on here who may have missed him.

He was THE superstar among a team of superstars. Incredible to watch in full flow. Elegant and graceful for such a big guy.

Ronaldinho was incredible though. Rivaldo wasn't half bad either.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Actually I find video's of Scholes spraying long passes incredibly beautiful.

Messi's destroying the best defenses at his peak too.

He's one of the very few where I understand people supporting the player over the team. You watched games just to watch him.

R'hllor

Nope, Messi and Ronaldo couldnt come near him combined when it comes to entertainment, only player i would pay to watch with focus only on him.

SteveW

Have to strongly disagree with those saying Messi isn't in the same aesthetic levels of some of the other players mentioned. Maybe there's a Ronaldo bias on here and some have tried to boil it down to stats but to watch Messi play a full game is to be absolutely dazzled. Absolutely stunningly entertaining little genius of a footballer.

MisterLupus

He was an artist - and at his best he was the best. He's one of those players that are hard to compare to others because his whole focus is somewhat different. Players like him don't play the ball as much as they toy with it - their goal being to excell in their brilliance. In some way I rate such virtuosos higher than even the best of professionals - even though all great players have some of that ingrained into their style. Because watching their genius and being infected with the enthusiasm they radiate sends shivers down one's spine. They're those rare examples that makes even opposition fans cheer whenever they achieve magic - and nobody should be shamed of that because they personify football.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Have to strongly disagree with those saying Messi isn't in the same aesthetic levels of some of the other players mentioned. Maybe there's a Ronaldo bias on here and some have tried to boil it down to stats but to watch Messi play a full game is to be absolutely dazzled. Absolutely stunningly entertaining little genius of a footballer.
The thing about Messi is we are so used to him being an effective goalscorer and compared to Ronaldo that If he doesn't score a winning brace or a hattrick, he's called a loser and has a bad game, despite beating players and creating chances and showing off his skills.

MalcolmTucker

Awkward in his style :lol:
I think you misunderstand me, of course he had complete mastery of the ball but the way he ran and dribbled looked awkward (quick jolting movements and an unusual gait) - compared to Zidane who was very fluid and elegant.

Pretty sure most can understand what I mean anyway.

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
He was an artist - and at his best he was the best. He's one of those players that are hard to compare to others because his whole focus is somewhat different. Players like him don't play the ball as much as they toy with it - their goal being to excell in their brilliance. In some way I rate such virtuosos higher than even the best of professionals - even though all great players have some of that ingrained into their style. Because watching their genius and being infected with the enthusiasm they radiate sends shivers down one's spine. They're those rare examples that makes even opposition fans cheer whenever they achieve magic - and nobody should be shamed of that because they personify football.
Fat Ron was the first Barca player to be given a standing ovation by Real Madrid fans. Furthermore, even half fit he was more important to the Brazilian team than Ronaldinho. Brazil would not have won the WC without Ronaldo! That said, at his best Ronaldinho was a truly magnificent player! I'll never forget his his cheeky toe-punt goal at the Bridge. Only a genius would even think of doing that at that level.

Saffron

Fat Ron was the first Barca player to be given a standing ovation by Real Madrid fans. Furthermore, even half fit he was more important to the Brazilian team than Ronaldinho. Brazil would not have won the WC without Ronaldo! That said, at his best Ronaldinho was a truly magnificent player! I'll never forget his his cheeky toe-punt goal at the Bridge. Only a genius would even think of doing that at that level.

Nope, it was Maradona.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=oAQhbQ_EXhk

MisterLupus

Ronaldo was my favorite player of that era so you don't have to convince me of that. Post-Maradona he was the first player to send shivers down my spine - something only Messi has achieved since (Cristiano is great don't get me wrong but he's less of an artist and more of the perfect athlete and a proper professional). But like you said - Ronaldo's explosive genius and unparalleled dominance during his peak years still doesn't take anything away from Ronaldinho - he too produced magic on a regular basis and at his best he was spectacular ;)

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
Ronaldo was my favorite player of that era so you don't have to convince me of that. Post-Maradona he was the first player to send shivers down my spine - something only Messi has achieved since (Cristiano is great don't get me wrong but he's less of an artist and more of the perfect athlete and a proper professional). But like you said - Ronaldo's explosive genius and unparalleled dominance during his peak years still doesn't take anything away from Ronaldinho - he too produced magic on a regular basis and at his best he was spectacular ;)
I was splitting hairs really. We both agree, at their peaks they were incredible and sheer joy to watch in full flow. Pity that Ron struggled so much with injuries and Ronaldinho partied too much. Christiano didn't quite have the genius of those two, or a Messi and Maradona, but he has been an incredibly dedicated professional who got the absolute maximum out of himself.

redMundo

Ronaldinho is the most naturally gifted footballer of all time and my favourite ever player to watch at his peak.

Have never seen anyone be so far ahead of his peers in terms of ability for those couple of seasons.
Like he was playing a different game to everyone else. He had fun doing it too!

He seemed to have a relaxed, smiley, laid back party attitude which stopped him from extending his peak and becoming a GOAT contender but that was all part of the mystique for me.

Ronaldinho alone was worth tuning in to a game and was guaranteed to produce at least one moment of brilliance every single match which just left me in awe.

Not the most consistent, productive or efficient player but for pure gob smackingly magical footballing moments, no one else comes close.
No other player has left me speechless in that way.

He wasn’t the greatest footballer ever though. Cristiano, Messi, Maradona, Cruyff and a few others were greater.

It’s a shame about the injuries to Brazilian Ronaldo though, El Fenomeno was an extra-terrestrial and would have topped the list in both categories had he remained healthy

Last edited by a moderator:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Fat Ron was the player who had me on the age of my seat all the time expecting him to do something any time he got the ball.

Ronaldinho was a magician and probably a better baller but less incisive for me

lemmiwink

Fantastic player. Naturally gifted like no one before or after in my humble opinion.

I never really rated him until I saw how he absolutely walked over the England midfield an defence in the 2002 WC. Without him Brazil would never have won that trophy as he almost single handedly turned that game around from 0-1 to 2-1 giving assist of the season and one of the most iconic free kicks of all time to make it 2-1.

Was he the GOAT he is often mentioned to be? No, I don’t think so. Players like Messi have almost as flashy technique while being so much more effective. Not to mention consistent. Also, Messi has been doing it for over a decade never really having a bad season.

I’d say he is the most unique player in modern football history though, just not the best.

PeteManic

Saw him live many times. Ronaldinho-era Barca was my favourite Barca.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I'd describe his style as hot, not beautiful. I think Neymar comes very close. His dribbling is just so elegant and supple. I don't understand how they can play like that. Messi is supersonic but not as pleasing to the eye. It's a flow.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Despite not being one of my favourite players I'd have to say in terms of beauty Zidane had few if any equals. Such elegance.

Ronaldinho was incredible though. Absolute magician
Yeah, Zidane was poetry in motion. Beautiful player.

Ronaldinho is surely most entertaining player ever though?

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The goal he scored v Villareal (I think) where he chested the ball from a cross, back into the air, spun, then over head kicked it into the far corner is one of the best goals I've ever seen in terms of individual skill. Brilliant player.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He can't be considered on the level of Messi and CR7 because his peak was shortlived and those two have kept their level for over a decade but i will say no player has ever terrified me playing Chelsea like Dinho did, which is even more impressive given he played against our best ever sides.

Green_Red

From all the GOATs, Maradona is the only one that can rival him. He's had infinite amount of tricks and insane skill moves that he used so often (and so efficiently!). The only difference is, Maradona is a huge cnut and Ronaldinho is one of the most likeable characters the football had ever seen.
Thats how I feel to. I think Messi has it to an extent too, but just not as unpredictable as Maradona or Ronaldinho. Equally as creative but just doesnt havr that spark of craziness.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The most entertaining baller ever IMO.

While Ronaldo/Messi are far more efficient, Ronaldinho just had that extra flair and excitement to get me on my feet.

The term Joga Bonito was never more fitting

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Yes many were more 'beautiful', it's just a matter of personal taste. I prefer guys like Zidane.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Only Maradona. That clip posted of him in the 1st page is a divine reminder.

Edit: And Mikael Laudrup.

Last edited:

Moby

Dick
Fat Ron was the player who had me on the age of my seat all the time expecting him to do something any time he got the ball.

Ronaldinho was a magician and probably a better baller but less incisive for me
Yep this.

If you ask me about the sheer experience of watching a footballer, then nothing comes close to watching Luis Ronaldo in full flow. It's impossible to describe in words the absolute force of nature you were witnessing.

norm87cro

For me better than fat Ronaldo and certanly more talented than Ronaldo and Messi. The stuff he did most of us can't even contenplate. And a absolute joy to watch

Matt007a

For pure magic the two men at the start of the video are the best I've seen. Slightly different in the way they did it, Ronaldinho used tricks both to beat people and to entertain. R9 tended to use tricks purely to go past people. R9 was better at the body feint and was the most explosive runner I've ever seen. Ronaldinho was more about the flicks both on the ground and in the air.

There have been more silky players, like Laudrup, Zidane or Iniesta but none of them had the same x-factor as the two Brazilians. There are other players like Rivaldo, Riquelme and Djalminha for example but they were a level below R9 and R10.

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
They way Ronaldinho would humiliate any top footballer with his skills for a couple of seasons was pure joy to watch. I still remember some matches I saw, it was a walk in the park for him. I'd even rate him above Ronaldo's (Brazil) early career.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I feel it's too late in this thread for a "Yes, haha he's really ugly" joke.

So, no, I don't think anyone can match the shear pleasure he exuded on the pitch. I remember him completely turning two defenders inside out and then having that silly grin on his face as to say, hehehe, did you see that? He was just fecking about with a ball. And happened to be really effective in the process.

Too bad he liked to party so much, could've had a much longer peak.

AshRK

No. He was a beast in 02 WC for brazil and then went on to create some magic for Barca. He also seemed to be a likable footballer. Pure class.