Was Veron a flop?

it's Juan Sebastian Veron, you know this already - was a 'f**king great player' and any football journalist, pundit, or fan who ever says otherwise is a 'f**king idiot'.

That was Sir Alex Ferguson's defence of a player who, throughout his career, won South American Footballer of the Year twice, two Scudetti, four Coppa Italia, a UEFA Cup, and a Premier League title.
defending a player he spent an absolute fortune on, who clearly didn’t fit United. Hardly surprising.

we all love Fergie, but he’s just as capable of spin as anyone else.

Irwin99

I re-watched a little bit of the League cup final against the scousers in 2003 and by god he was awful. Imagine Pogba or Bruno at their very worst periods of play but with nothing redeemable either (a goal threat or clever assist for instance). Keane came over at one point after another useless overhit pass over the top and calmly told him to to settle down a bit.

I might be doing him a disservice as I didn't watch the whole game but it was quite shocking for such a good player.

RUCK4444

I re-watched a little bit of the League cup final against the scousers in 2003 and by god he was awful. Imagine Pogba or Bruno at their very worst periods of play but with nothing redeemable either (a goal threat or clever assist for instance). Keane came over at one point after another useless overhit pass over the top and calmly told him to to settle down a bit.

I might be doing him a disservice as I didn't watch the whole game but it was quite shocking for such a good player.
I can’t really remember his time here to be honest, which is an indication of time here probably.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.

The Premier league was too fast for him. He was good in the Champions League where he had more space and the games were slower.

paulscholes18

My enduring memory of him is a ridiculous pass in a preseason friendly...which probably says it all about his time at United.

Champagne Football

He probably would have succeeded at Arsenal under Wenger, in a team that tried to achieve 100 passes in a row before scoring each goal. Or he probably would have fitted in well in a Barcelona team under Pep.

He most certainly did not have Utd DNA, even though he could be world class in a different set up.

He was the opposite of what a Utd player should be at the time - dynamic warriors playing at 1 million mph, who cover every blade of grass like Rooney, Keane, Scholes, Giggs, Beckham etc.

Essien, Gerrard, Viera are midfielders who would have had the Utd DNA, and been good enough to get into a Utd title winning team under Fergie.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Funny you mention Barcelona under Pep and Arsenal under Wenger as many on the Caf feel Veron was about 5-6 years too soon for United. Put him in a midfield trio alongside Carrick and Scholes (occasionally Hargreaves, Park, Fletcher rotating) with Ronaldo, Rooney, Saha/Tevez/Berbatov up front and he'd look far better than the 4-4-2 of old. Veron-Carrick-Scholes would have passed opposition off the park.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He came in as the British record transfer & didn’t perform to expectations. However I think history hasn’t been kind to him. I see him in “flop 11’s” which is extremely unfair. He had some very good games for us & I really enjoyed watching him when on form.

He came in as the British record transfer & didn’t perform to expectations. However I think history hasn’t been kind to him. I see him in “flop 11’s” which is extremely unfair. He had some very good games for us & I really enjoyed watching him when on form.
personally I think history has been kind to him.

he was sold for half the price we paid for him, and lost £15m on him. That was astonishing, and only because Roman took over Chelsea. Today, that appears to be peanuts.

he was a massive flop.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

personally I think history has been kind to him.

he was sold for half the price we paid for him, and lost £15m on him. That was astonishing, and only because Roman took over Chelsea. Today, that appears to be peanuts.

he was a massive flop.
Per the expectations yeah I agree he was a massive flop. I see him compared with the likes of Djemba-Djemba & Bebe in “worst Fergie signings” compilations which I think is unfair. He had some good moments at United, especially in the champions league. Didn’t Giggs say something about Veron being in the best player he ever saw in training?

It didn’t work out, but he was a very good footballer.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The control and finish from Ruud though :eek:
What i'd give to have him in the team now.

Haaland is the closest player that reminds me of him, he'd make such a difference.

What a player Ruud was :drool:

Per the expectations yeah I agree he was a massive flop. I see him compared with the likes of Djemba-Djemba & Bebe in “worst Fergie signings” compilations which I think is unfair. He had some good moments at United, especially in the champions league. Didn’t Giggs say something about Veron being in the best player he ever saw in training?

It didn’t work out, but he was a very good footballer.
he’s clearly not comparable to players who were never going to be world class players and just punts like Djemba x2.

but he’s comparable to the likes of Shevchenko, and perhaps Kaka for Real (although that was down to injuries).

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...0-of-the-biggest-flops-in-premiership-history

Has him at no 2. Which I think is fair.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

he’s clearly not comparable to players who were never going to be world class players and just punts like Djemba x2.

but he’s comparable to the likes of Shevchenko, and perhaps Kaka for Real (although that was down to injuries).

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...0-of-the-biggest-flops-in-premiership-history

Yeah that’s fair. Shevchenko, Torres, Kaka, etc are better comparisons.

I remember when we signed him & Ruud in the summer of 2001, such an exciting time as a kid. I remember getting the reversable White/Gold away shirt thinking we were gonna win the treble again. All came crashing down when we sold Jaap Stam.

Jam

Bang on the money. Obviously a fantastic footballer; just didn’t work out for us.

Far above the level of Bebe. But to be fair the fee at the time reflects that.

norm87cro

No. A flop is a harsh description. He wasn't best suited for this league though. Not the first or last player not to fit in the Premiership. A La Liga or Serie A player.

GueRed

i loved watching him and the teams he played in in Serie A.

Parma, Lazio, Sampdoria

I didnt want him at United though.

my top midfielders on my wish list were: (no Zidane cos he was destined for Madrid)

1. Rivaldo
2. Vieira
3. Nedved
4. Rui Costa
5. Petit

R0nald0

Under a rug on top of a mountain under the stars.
Come on! He was a huge flop. He came in for a record transfer and he bombed massively. Showed some glimpses of his talent but for the most expensive player in the country, he didn't perform consistently like that.

I was so excited when he came in, it was an era where Italian football was on C4 and so everyone watched how good he was for Lazio. An incredible player but not suited to the EPL whatsoever as he showed for us and for Chelsea. We did very well recouping the money we did from Chelsea

markhughes

He was a very talented player, he didn’t quite do it for Man Utd but that was partly to do with how many great midfielders we had at that time, we were spoiled for choice.

We would probably build the team around him if he played for us today, shows you how far we have fallen since those days.

big rons sovereign

Came with a huge reputation but struggled to find his place in the team. The frustrating part was I remember watching pre season the year Beckham left and Veron looked unbelievable for us. A few days later he was sold. Probably the right decision ultimately but a shame as he seemed to want to rise from Beckhams shadow somewhat only to be flung out.
The goal against juve in pre season. Veron to Ruud. I remember thinking these two are gonna rip the league a new one.

Edit, just seen it's been posted.
That commentator :lol:

Last edited:
Come on! He was a huge flop. He came in for a record transfer and he bombed massively. Showed some glimpses of his talent but for the most expensive player in the country, he didn't perform consistently like that.

I was so excited when he came in, it was an era where Italian football was on C4 and so everyone watched how good he was for Lazio. An incredible player but not suited to the EPL whatsoever as he showed for us and for Chelsea. We did very well recouping the money we did from Chelsea
that summer Roman took over Chelsea.

they were desperate for big money signings, goodness know how much of a hot we would have taken if not for that.

Maticmaker

Veron was like many other players his style did not fit in properly with United and at the time he was also up against some of the best PL midfielders (possibly in the world).
Best game for me was undoubtedly the 5-3 defeat of Spurs when we recovered from 0-3 at half time.
See Donny going the same way unfortunately, almost for the same reasons.

Foxbatt

Brilliant player. Always loved to watch him play. Wrong time, wrong club and wrong system.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Was excited when we signed him despite flopping at United, I felt a new challenge/system plus being reunited with his mate (Crespo) would being a new lease of life for him.

Nine games in he was out due to lack of fitness and didn't play again until April.

lysglimt

Scout
Of course he was - when you sign a player for £28 million - he stays for 2 seasons without really establishing himself in the team, and then sell him with a £14 million loss - of course he is a flop.

AnthonyFS

Veron was a flop, had huge expectations as a fan and he under delivered, he had some good games but was never consistent and couldn't seem to handle the pace of the PL. fergie always made the wrong signings when he had built a great team, we needed to strengthen our defence and GK, but he bought veron, veron was the equivalent of the berbatov signing in my opinion, just didn't fit. The defence and GK were not right in the team that veron joined, this is why the 08/09 team will ways be better than the treble team, only 6 or 7 of the treble team could get in the 08/09 team. Still loved veron and I believe every utd fan wanted him to do well, no one gave up on him but was evident to see that he did not improve the midfield, he just added to it.

Marwood

Scholes could do everything he could but at pace. So it was an odd signing.

Slightly frustrating was that just as he left he seemed to be getting it. How we played.

The silver lining was that his signing elevated us into another transfer category. From that point on we were the type of club capable of signing big reputation european based players. There was Ruud and Stam before him but they weren't big established players.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
That was down to wage structure, IMO. United would have signed this star or that star well before Veron if Edwards would break the wage cap. Lost out on Blanc, DeSailly, Batistuta, etc. due to wages.

Swearing Budgie

He was definitely a flop. He was one of the best midfielders in the world when he came to us. Then he was one of the worst midfielders in the league.

Seemed to need too much time on the ball.