Watching a United away game

Josep Dowling

Unfortunately I’ve never been a United away game. I think the away fans are probably the best in England. You can always hear them when watching on TV chanting for 90 minutes.

I want to know what’s it like going to away matches? What the best stories you have of an away game? It could be the Moscow final 2008 or Burton Albion in the league cup. How do you deal say with losing in London on a Monday night, getting the train back to Manchester and working the next day?

wolvored

Unfortunately I’ve never been a United away game. I think the away fans are probably the best in England. You can always hear them when watching on TV chanting for 90 minutes.

I want to know what’s it like going to away matches? What the best stories you have of an away game? It could be the Moscow final 2008 or Burton Albion in the league cup. How do you deal say with losing in London on a Monday night, getting the train back to Manchester and working the next day?
I used to go in the mid 70s to early 80s before I got married. A gang of us met in The New Oxford or The Kings Arms on a Friday night to discuss what time to meet at the Piccadilly station. We used to take a bag of booze on the trains and be pissed by the time we got to the game.The farthest I went was Luton or Watford to the south. Carlisle to the north. I got truncheoned by a copper at WBA for nothing, got my jacket cut at Anfield (only went once) and my mate got beat up bad at Ipswich. The most frightening experience for me though was at the old baseball ground, (Derby). It was like Coronation Street where they sent the both set of fans down with mounted cops in the middle. Fights broke out all over the place. Bricks glass vases from folks homes were all thrown at us. Another bad ground for fighting was St Andrews (Birmingham). Never went to London. Glad its a lot safer for folk now. I have extended family (cousins kids) who still go away now. It was a superb atmosphere at the games, singing, drinking, taunting etc and it sounds like it still is now. The football was hit and miss like it is now, as I went in the last year of the Doc and Sexton Atkinson eras.

rotherham_red

It's amazing. My first away game was Everton in 2016. We were shit and drew 1-1 after Fellaini conceded a last minute pen but the atmosphere was bloody amazing.

Been hooked ever since.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Worst away was West Ham in 92. We really lost the league that night and their fans lapped it up with Munich gestures as you’d expect. The atmosphere was toxic. Best away juve 0-3. Giggsy tore them apart. Was nice because he was always a hero of mine but he’d been getting a lot of stick from casual fans. Match going fans though seemed to give him support and he paid it back that night.

CallyRed

Only been to one away game and that was at West ham, think we won 5-3. Was a bonkers game, and only got the tickets because my Uncle used to chauffeur Sir Alex when he was in London, and gave him 4 tickets :lol:. Utter madness.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Don't know if I can class it as an away game living in Barcelona but it was in the quarters of the CL this year. Paid €280 to watch us get taken apart 3-0, got beer thrown over me from the United fans at the back of the stands and got torn a new one for a couple of days at work from my cule friends. Ahhhhh... Happy Times.

Red00012

Used to do 7/8 home games a season until I went to my 1st away now it’s about 6/7 aways 3 home games.
Best trip was PSG away.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Weirdly enough, everything apart from the match itself when we lost 1-0 to City in the FA Semi was my favourite away. Atmosphere, pre and post match was electric.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Takes 3/4 years as a season ticket holder to even get the chance of applying to away games doesn’t it?

I’m only in my first year as a season ticket holder, but I look forward to the chance to apply for away tickets. I have often tried to get hold of them, but they are like gold dust.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Weirdly enough, everything apart from the match itself when we lost 1-0 to City in the FA Semi was my favourite away. Atmosphere, pre and post match was electric.
This can often be the case with aways when you don't get the right result, a great day out ruined by the football!

Dont goto as many aways as I used to, was at West Ham this year unfortunately which was especially shite.
Domestic away atmosphere has declined in recent years (various reasons for that) but still usually pretty good.
The Red Army are doing a good job of replicating the away atmosphere at OT nowadays which is great to see.

Euro aways are totally different as well as it's usually a multiday thing.
Moscow2008 is probably my all-time highlight for obvious reasons but some great trips to Istanbul (Galatassary - we lost but had already qualified anyway) and San Sebastian (Real Sociedad, 0-0 under Moyes with Fellaini red card) also come to mind. Marseille in the 1999/00 season was the only time I ever felt in real danger at a match, their fans are animals - we lost that as well with a young William Gallas scoring.

Tarrou

my last away was Fulham, it was brilliant the fans did about 40,000 renditions of 'Ole's at the wheel' at the end... probably one of the last games before it started going tits up

Mickson

My experience is that the game matter less when you are at an away game. Yes, it sucks losing, but that always sucks. When you are at an away game or away trip far from home, you are there with your friends or mates and you are having a really, really good time. Pre-match is always fantastic. Beers, songs and just a positive atmosphere. If we win, great. Iw we lose, it's sore but you are still there with friends and have had a great experience in life I would say. It's much worse losing a home game. When you just go home alone. I would recommend everyone following a team closely, and away games in general.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Away days are something else. Southampton away is always a great day, we pack Yates out and the atmosphere is class.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Used to do 7/8 home games a season until I went to my 1st away now it’s about 6/7 aways 3 home games.
Best trip was PSG away.
How are you getting these tickets out of interest?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Takes 3/4 years as a season ticket holder to even get the chance of applying to away games doesn’t it?

I’m only in my first year as a season ticket holder, but I look forward to the chance to apply for away tickets. I have often tried to get hold of them, but they are like gold dust.
That's what i'm wondering with some of the posts on here...

The problem even with qualifying through having completed 3 years season ticket holding, is that you lose the right to apply if you miss any cup games.

I live 200miles away, so the league cup / Europa are just too hard a shift for me. That could be about 10 home games and all midweek.

Red00012

How are you getting these tickets out of interest?
European games it’s down to credits so I’ve built up enough over the years. Domestically It’s through season tickets and pot luck coming out of ballots.