Watching old football matches

Cantonagotmehere

My son and I are stuck at home like many on this forum. Any tips to search for and watch old matches? Would love old United ones, FA Cup finals, World cups etc.....etc...

I think Youtube is decent for this stuff but wondering about other options?

Thanks a ton and I hope everyone is safe and healthy.

ROFLUTION

What games would people rewatch?

For me I think Man Utd vs Deportivo with Tristan shocking us. 2-3 but a flash from the past. Or the Real Madrid one with Fat Ronaldos hattrick.

montpelier

The itv football - goals from the games - for quite a few 70s and 80s seasons are on YouTube.

I saw some Utd goals I'd never seen before because I happened to miss the footy prog that weekend.

stubie

I’ve said before I’d like to see ESPN Classic relaunch

SirAF

Ageist
Noggie TV broadcast the 99 semi against Juventus with live commentary from today :lol:

Cantonagotmehere

yes!
I’ve said before I’d like to see ESPN Classic relaunch
Yes, that would be great.

Football is crashing because of all the traffic. Hopefully they get the bandwidth soon.

All these sports channels should play random old matches/games. They will figure it out, will be huge viewers. They should play an old NCAA basketball tournament starting tomorrow. Everyone would love it.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Today smashed the 2000/01 and 2002/03 season reviews. All are on Dailymotion.

Irwin99

What games would people rewatch?

For me I think Man Utd vs Deportivo with Tristan shocking us. 2-3 but a flash from the past. Or the Real Madrid one with Fat Ronaldos hattrick.
I'd love to see the 1-1 draw vs Arsenal in 1999 and the 2-2 at Anfield in 99. My recollection of the latter is that we managed the game brilliantly when tempers were flaring and then the referee gave Liverpool a totally unjust penalty and then sent Denis Irwin off. Could have ruined our Treble :mad:

Chipper

Adulterer.
I prefer watching stuff I wasn't alive to see or was too young to remember when dipping into old United matches so early mid 80s and before.

Out things I have seen if I were to pick a game off the top of my head I'd go for Arsenal 2-4 United. What a match that was plus there was Keano having it out with Vieira. :devil:

ROFLUTION

I'd love to see the 1-1 draw vs Arsenal in 1999 and the 2-2 at Anfield in 99. My recollection of the latter is that we managed the game brilliantly when tempers were flaring and then the referee gave Liverpool a totally unjust penalty and then sent Denis Irwin off. Could have ruined our Treble :mad:
Well, your preference of football match all goes pretty much hand in hand with yourusename :D

I might watch some older United or season reviews to watch the beauty / importance of Cantona.

For anyone missing something to read these days, Phillipe Auclair's mythical book "Cantona - The rebel who would be king" is absolutely great. Doesn't try to debunk the myth/legend of Cantona, more plays to the myth. It sort of tries to absorb the personality into the book and tries to understand Cantona, which makes it a great read.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
The '1980's football heaven' Youtube channel has many 'MOTD' and some 'The Big Match' episodes.

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
I was at that match :lol:

I still remember the explosion in the Eindhoven crowd when Lens made the 10th.

At least Im assuming it's that match, I havent clicked the link.

Jerk:wenger:

Looking at the squads, that wasnt even an amazing PSV squad. God how fecking shite we were..
I was there too. Ref whistled without injury time too! Jonathan Reis was a special talent though. Was a freak result anyway. First half things were quite even. How Feyenoord didn't put an extra defender on after 4 or 5 is beyond me.

Glad you didn't post the link to the 2002 Uefa Cup match!

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I was there too. Ref whistled without injury time too! Jonathan Reis was a special talent though. Was a freak result anyway. First half things were quite even. How Feyenoord didn't put an extra defender on after 4 or 5 is beyond me.

Glad you didn't post the link to the 2002 Uefa Cup match!
Ahh now those are good memories. I forgot about Reis, what happened to him? Didnt he get caught on drugs charges or something?

Yagami

Good post resistant
I prefer watching stuff I wasn't alive to see or was too young to remember when dipping into old United matches so early mid 80s and before.

Out things I have seen if I were to pick a game off the top of my head I'd go for Arsenal 2-4 United. What a match that was plus there was Keano having it out with Vieira. :devil:
I used to have the full game of that on an old laptop. Then it died :(

Josh 76

I know sky a showing a lot of old PL matches, but I would love to see the whole start and finish of the actual analysis too.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
FIFA youtube will show Spain - Holland from 2014 tomorrow. Definitely watching that one.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
That Oranje team is so fecking rubbish. Vlaar, Martins Indi, Janmaat, De Guzman, a geriatric Nigel de Jong. How did we win 5-1 :lol:

Rewatching the game the question that remains is not how did we win 5-1, but how did we only win 5-1. The Spanish implosion in the second half is insane.

Last edited:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I actually recently watched the highlights of the 2-4 away win at Arsenal in 2005. Damn, it was real end to end stuff. Maybe you can watch that one.

AaronRedDevil

I miss football so I bought the 08 CL winning season on amazon. Might watch it tomorrow.

Denis' cuff

I actually recently watched the highlights of the 2-4 away win at Arsenal in 2005. Damn, it was real end to end stuff. Maybe you can watch that one.
O’Shea’s reaction to his goal was priceless. :)

always had to overcome the 12th man against them feckers. If it wasn’t Elleray it was Graham (I’m not an Arsenal fan) Poll.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Dutch tv is currently showing the 1988 euros final. Van Basten is so fecking good.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Watch the whole treble run. It's just the pinnacle of football to me.

The game was nicer back then. Maverick football.