Watching old football matches

PoTMS

Arsenal 1-3 Manchester United

Which one, I hear you ask? We've beat them by that scoreline multiple times. They're all great but my particular favourite is the CL semi final 2nd leg 08/09.

caid

The first leg against Juventus in 99. It wasn't a good night for us but from what i remember Giggs was brilliant and basically kept us in the tie. One of his standout matches for us from what i remember. Going to watch it now to see how good my memory is anyway.

caid

The first leg against Juventus in 99. It wasn't a good night for us but from what i remember Giggs was brilliant and basically kept us in the tie. One of his standout matches for us from what i remember. Going to watch it now to see how good my memory is anyway.
It was a pretty good match. Juventus kind of slaughtered us first half. We were kind of unlucky not to get 2 or 3 goals in the second half though really. Some great play from Juve, not so much from the ones you'd expect - Zidane was pretty quiet really. Davids and Conte had great games amongst others though.

Irwin99

It was a pretty good match. Juventus kind of slaughtered us first half. We were kind of unlucky not to get 2 or 3 goals in the second half though really. Some great play from Juve, not so much from the ones you'd expect - Zidane was pretty quiet really. Davids and Conte had great games amongst others though.
After that match, Keane gave an interview saying that he got too close to Zidane and didn't pay enough attention to Davids. He didn't make the same mistake in the return leg as he pretty much won every 50-50 against Davids :drool: That was a fantastic Juve team.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
England-Croatia from euro 2004 on BBC red button now. Peak Rooney on the international stage.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
FIFA youtube doing #WorldCupatHome

Hope they give us full matches and full tournaments.

Robaldo

Any apps / subscriptions where I can watch old football matches in HD?

I'd probably pay at this point..

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I recently saw the Portugal-England game from Euro 2000 and it was a thriller.

In my opinion Euro 2000 is definitely the best international tournament that I've seen.

The tournament had everything. So many elite / world class players actually stepped up and shone, with Zidane at the peak of his powers, and also the likes of Henry, Vieira, Thurman, Desailly, Cannavaro, Nesta, Toldo, Totti, Bergkamp, Kluivert, Figo, Rui Costa etc all impressing.

There was incredibly high quality football from start to finish, so many exciting and dramatic matches such as Spain-Yugoslavia or the final itself, and a lot of stacked teams backed up with a strong supporting cast.

All 4 semi-finalists were incredibly strong; that is definitely the best Portugal team that I've seen, ahead of any of their later teams with Ronaldo and / or under Scolari, with their golden generation mostly in their physical primes and a strong bench. And France had a far stronger squad in 2000 compared to 1998, notably with 4 elite strikers and far more strength in depth.

Spain, Yugoslavia, Romania, Turkey etc, provided a nice supporting cast, and Nedved's Czech Republic impressed in the group stages. Even for England, I thought that Beckham and Scholes played very well; unfortunately we were far too pleased with ourselves and cocky after beating Germany, and underestimated Romania which was madness given that they had beaten us at the World Cup 2 years earlier.

Also goals per game stats don’t tell the full story, but Euro 2000 averaged 2.74 goals per game, more than any European Championship since 1976 (which had a 4 team final tournament), and more than any World Cup since 1982.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Premier Sports 2 showing the 05-06 El Clasico - the Ronaldinho show in HD!!

Irwin99

Watched the defeat to Arsenal at Highbury in 01-02 which they won 3-1 and all 3 goals we conceded were awful individual errors. If ever there was a game that summed up Mikel Silvestre's United career it was that. Brilliant assist, looked dangerous attacking down the left....and then made about 5 defensive errors, lost the ball quite a few times, and was finally replaced by Phil Neville on the 55th minute. I always remembered Barthez being at fault for two of the goals but having a good game before his mistakes but actually most of Arsenal's shots were just straight at him. His best save was when the game was already lost at 3-1.

Arsenal definitely deserved the win. Vieira was magnificant, Veron was just a passenger in the game and RVN wasn't really in it either. I need to cheer myself up after that and watch the 6-1 game from the season before.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Anyone catch the classic Match of the day yesterday? One thing it did show was how much harder it was to get a penalty twenty years ago. Poborsky cleaned out by Srnicek and nothing was given. :lol:

Carolina Red

Staff
BeIN is showing El Clasico matches. Watching the match from March 10, 2007 right now. So many legendary names on the pitch at once.

marktan

Spain - Portugal WC 2018 giving live on Fifas YouTube channel right. Has about 10k viewers. Good chance to catch Bruno Fernandos who I didn't even know played in this match.

Seems they're doing a 'memorable' World Cup match every day at 5pm UK time. Had France-Brazil 2006 and Argentina-Brazil 86 or 90 (can't remember which) over the last two days.

Deery

Dreary
RTE just showed every goal scored at the 2014 World Cup was a good watch, Messi was on fire unlucky not to win a WC and James Rodriguez was great also.

Lentwood

Whenever I watch old games I can’t help but think how poor the standard looks compared to modern day!

I reckon even a mid-table PL team from 2019 would dominate Europe’s best from the 90s. The fitness and tactical side of the game have just improved exponentially

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Watching Che/Ars from October 2014 on NBCSN. For some reason they’re started the 2nd half in the 52nd minute.
Also not sure why they’ve picked this one; hardly a classic thus far.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I recently saw coverage of the Tottenham-Man City FA Cup replay in 2004, with City coming from 3-0 down at half-time to win 4-3. A truly remarkable comeback.

To put things into context, City went into that match in terrible form having failed to win any of their 12 league games and with just 1 win from their last 18 in all competitions, their star striker Anelka had gone off injured inside the first 30 minutes, they were reduced to 10 men at half-time when Barton received a 2nd yellow card for dissent when walking off the pitch, and of course they were away from home.

That was one of 4 games during Spurs' pretty exciting February 2004 month:

Tottenham 3-4 Man City
Tottenham 4-3 Portsmouth
Charlton 2-4 Tottenham
Tottenham 4-4 Leicester

Deery

Dreary
United v Liverpool 2009 on SKY right now..

Think it’s the Gerard kissing the camera one, so forgive you for not watching..

Deery

Dreary
The amount of chances we had this game could have been 10-2 how we lost I never know

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!

Currently watching this.

Di Maria has just spanked one in and it's not even the best goal in the game.

2018 World Cup was just banger after banger.

Irwin99

I watched Inter vs United at the San Siro (1999) and Ronnie Johnson was fantastic in midfield. Shame he was injured so much in his career. A very versatile player with good quality on the ball.

Watching these old CL games is making me sad that United didn't push on enough after the Treble. There were things that could have been improved on better: A new left back (not Silvestre) and a new centre back, another midfielder to support Keane and Scholes, a better goalkeeper (not Barthez). That team should have conquered Europe again.