Watching old football matches

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Watched the defeat to Arsenal at Highbury in 01-02 which they won 3-1 and all 3 goals we conceded were awful individual errors. If ever there was a game that summed up Mikel Silvestre's United career it was that. Brilliant assist, looked dangerous attacking down the left....and then made about 5 defensive errors, lost the ball quite a few times, and was finally replaced by Phil Neville on the 55th minute. I always remembered Barthez being at fault for two of the goals but having a good game before his mistakes but actually most of Arsenal's shots were just straight at him. His best save was when the game was already lost at 3-1.

Arsenal definitely deserved the win. Vieira was magnificant, Veron was just a passenger in the game and RVN wasn't really in it either. I need to cheer myself up after that and watch the 6-1 game from the season before.
I watched a bit of a 0-1 defeat to them at OT. I thought it would be the Overmars one, but it was the Wiltord one where they sealed the title.
Silvestre made a horrible mistake in the lead up to that winner too, but Ljungberg had an outrageous bit of a lucky bounce to get a shot off, before Barthez could only push it slightly to the side of the area for an easy Wiltord finish.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Arsenal thoroughly deserved the title that season and,from what I remember, we weren't really in it.
We finished the campaign in 3rd place scoring the most goals in the PL with 87 (108 including the CL) but we conceded a stupid amount (45) . SAF was never going to go out on a low like that.
Still,one of my favourite United campaigns even though we ended the season empty handed.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
I have a distant family member that's watched women's football for years and they're convinced the following game is the pinnacle of women's football.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Just watching the full 120 minutes of England-Germany from 1990. Seen the highlights obviously but never the full match before.

Decent game, seems there was issue with pitch at Deli Alpi as so many players kept falling over in final third.

Best two players on the pitch were Des Walker and Jurgen Kohler, both brilliant at reading the play. Gazza actually gave thr ball away a huge amount (he was much better v Cameroon in previous round).

England played some nice stuff first half while Germany hardly threatened and lost Rudi Voller to injury. Second half they took control and really the England goal came out of nowhere.

Klinsmann missed a sitter in extra time. One other thing is one of the linesman was useless, kept on giving players offside when they were level. Just now David Platt headed in a free kick and was given off, replay showed he'd timed his run so should've been given.

Now onto penalties. Surprised they didn't put John Barnes or Steve Bull on to take one given they were both on the bench.

SharpshooterTom

Klinsmann missed a sitter in extra time. One other thing is one of the linesman was useless, kept on giving players offside when they were level. Just now David Platt headed in a free kick and was given off, replay showed he'd timed his run so should've been given.
Level was offside in those days. They didn't change the law till just after the World Cup. As explained here, you can see the comparisons between the 1925 offisde rule and the 1990 offside rule:

http://www.sidelinesoccer.com/history-of-the-offside-rule

Another great change for the game along with introducing the back pass rule. Italia 90 actually helped modernise the game a great deal because the WC was considered too defensive.

A lot of people give a lot of crap to modern day defenders, but the rules, including more stringent tackling laws, have given attacking players more of an advantage now.

C'est Moi Cantona

Been watching my old DVD of the 07/08 double season today, first time in ages, Rooney, Tevez, and Ronaldo, just gold.

Got to December so far, but I remember some of the games like they were last week, Arsenal away where Gallas equalised in the last minute, it didn't look over the line real time, but clearly was, that Ronaldo free kick v Sunderland on Boxing day, and the first of two 6 goal games against Newcastle the highlights so far... Going to get better soon though.

Robertd0803

Been watching my old DVD of the 07/08 double season today, first time in ages, Rooney, Tevez, and Ronaldo, just gold.

Got to December so far, but I remember some of the games like they were last week, Arsenal away where Gallas equalised in the last minute, it didn't look over the line real time, but clearly was, that Ronaldo free kick v Sunderland on Boxing day, and the first of two 6 goal games against Newcastle the highlights so far... Going to get better soon though.
I nearly broke my foot kicking a wall in frustration over that Gallas goal. Its so weird, I could tell you where I was watching most of those games (even what seat in which pub) but can barely remember what team we beat last game in Europa League.

RTE were showing a review of the 2018 World Cup earlier. Some stunning goals.

Josh 76

Just watching the full 120 minutes of England-Germany from 1990. Seen the highlights obviously but never the full match before.

Decent game, seems there was issue with pitch at Deli Alpi as so many players kept falling over in final third.

Best two players on the pitch were Des Walker and Jurgen Kohler, both brilliant at reading the play. Gazza actually gave thr ball away a huge amount (he was much better v Cameroon in previous round).

England played some nice stuff first half while Germany hardly threatened and lost Rudi Voller to injury. Second half they took control and really the England goal came out of nowhere.

Now onto penalties. Surprised they didn't put John Barnes or Steve Bull on to take one given they were both on the bench.
What i had forgot about the game

1. Waddle should have had a penalty

2. Forgot Trevor Steven was in the squad, never mind comming on in extra time. I remember when we nearly signed him from Everton, but he chose Glasgow Rangers instead (unthinkable now).

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I have to see this again but as people are talking about it as if it were stonewall, seemed inconclusive at first on the replay, I don't know if he actually touched him.
It was probably more of one than the first one Lineker was awarded v Cameroon (clear dive).

Josh 76

The back 6 for England was made up from:
2 Derby county players
2 Nottingham Forest players
1 Glasgow Rangers
1 QPR

No PL teams of today.

Furious George

I watched a bit of 'The English Game' the other week and it was bloody dreadful. Hardly any cup action and a bucket load of soppy nonsense in its place.

I turned it off and watched the highlights of the 1956 cup final instead. It featured a one-armed referee.

Now that's much more like it.

croadyman

Just watched that Euro 96 When Football Came Home thing on ITV again. I have to say Pearce makes a very good point about England's lack of penalty planning.

I also think it didn't help that no one apart from Southgate was willing to step up and take that sixth one.

Can anyone else remind me who was still on the pitch at the time apart from that big time charlie Ince.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Just watched that Euro 96 When Football Came Home thing on ITV again. I have to say Pearce makes a very good point about England's lack of penalty planning.

I also think it didn't help that no one apart from Southgate was willing to step up and take that sixth one.

Can anyone else remind me who was still on the pitch at the time apart from that big time charlie Ince.
Anderton and McManaman would have been the most obvious penalty takers left on the pitch I'd have thought.

The common view on penalty shoot-outs at the time was that they were a lottery and you could not replicate the pressure - so why bother practising? That was really naive as the training principle is that practice makes permanent and, the more finely honed your technique is, the more chance you have of executing it in a high-pressure match situation. And I think there was a clear correlation between that attitude and England's exits in 1990, 1996 and 1998 in shoot-outs. Not only that, but you'd question the choice of personnel on the park too as it wasn't always the best set of players to be involved in the highly specific requirements of a shoot-out.
  • 1990 - Shilton was 40 and well past his agile peak, as proven by how far away he was from all of the West German spot-kicks. Woods was the obvious replacement on the bench, but they also had Dave Beasant in the squad who was widely known was an expert in saving penalties. He could easily have been subbed on for it.
  • 1996 - In fairness a strong first five in the shoot-out, backed up by a strong keeper who'd saved penalties against Scotland and Spain. But no contingency planning beyond that and Southgate going up despite being pretty hopeless at them was farcical. Especially when you had the likes of Robbie Fowler and Les Ferdinand on the bench, and the greatest penalty taker the English game has seen in Le Tissier sat at home twiddling his thumbs.
  • 1998 - Same as above with Batty and Ince taking penalties despite being so obviously poor at them and nerve-ridden. In Hoddle's defence Beckham's red card did force him to end up with more defensive-minded players on the park than might have been case otherwise.

John_Jensen

Gazza was offside, rules were different then, and being level with the last man was offside then too.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

I always think that was a bit harsh, England's first five penalties were all excellent so not like it was in 2006 when Gerrard and Lampard both missed. They also scored all 4 in the previous round v Spain. I'd say 9 out of 10 penalties scored in two penalty shootouts is pretty good.

Yeah Ince was the one getting panned for not stepping up but he did miss two years later v Argentina, can't remember how many he took at club level. Think in the previous round Fowler had come on late to take the fifth before Nadal missed so surprised Venables didn't put him or Les Ferdinand on in 120th minute if there were subs left.

One thing I noticed in that shoot out, Koepke kept diving to his right/left of penalty taker. Really someone should've just told Gareth Southgate to shoot to the right as Gazza and Sheringham had done in the previous two penalties. Or just hit it down the middle. ;)

Josh 76

Anderton and McManaman would have been the most obvious penalty takers left on the pitch I'd have thought.

The common view on penalty shoot-outs at the time was that they were a lottery and you could not replicate the pressure - so why bother practising? That was really naive as the training principle is that practice makes permanent and, the more finely honed your technique is, the more chance you have of executing it in a high-pressure match situation. And I think there was a clear correlation between that attitude and England's exits in 1990, 1996 and 1998 in shoot-outs. Not only that, but you'd question the choice of personnel on the park too as it wasn't always the best set of players to be involved in the highly specific requirements of a shoot-out.
  • 1990 - Shilton was 40 and well past his agile peak, as proven by how far away he was from all of the West German spot-kicks. Woods was the obvious replacement on the bench, but they also had Dave Beasant in the squad who was widely known was an expert in saving penalties. He could easily have been subbed on for it.
  • 1996 - In fairness a strong first five in the shoot-out, backed up by a strong keeper who'd saved penalties against Scotland and Spain. But no contingency planning beyond that and Southgate going up despite being pretty hopeless at them was farcical. Especially when you had the likes of Robbie Fowler and Les Ferdinand on the bench, and the greatest penalty taker the English game has seen in Le Tissier sat at home twiddling his thumbs.
  • 1998 - Same as above with Batty and Ince taking penalties despite being so obviously poor at them and nerve-ridden. In Hoddle's defence Beckham's red card did force him to end up with more defensive-minded players on the park than might have been case otherwise.
Reference Peter Shilton on his performance in the 1990 shoot out. What a fecking joke. He never gambled once on any of the penalties. He went the right way on all of them because he divied after the bloody ball was in the back of the net. I'm so surprised Shilton has got away with his crap technique and players like Waddle and Pearce took all the shit.

SharpshooterTom

Reference Peter Shilton on his performance in the 1990 shoot out. What a fecking joke. He never gambled once on any of the penalties. He went the right way on all of them because he divied after the bloody ball was in the back of the net. I'm so surprised Shilton has got away with his crap technique and players like Waddle and Pearce took all the shit.
It wasn't all his fault necessarily, Lineker prior to the shootout instructed him to follow the ball and he ended up taking his advice.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/gary-lineker-shoulders-blame-englands-5173741

Last edited:

croadyman

I always think that was a bit harsh, England's first five penalties were all excellent so not like it was in 2006 when Gerrard and Lampard both missed. They also scored all 4 in the previous round v Spain. I'd say 9 out of 10 penalties scored in two penalty shootouts is pretty good.

Yeah Ince was the one getting panned for not stepping up but he did miss two years later v Argentina, can't remember how many he took at club level. Think in the previous round Fowler had come on late to take the fifth before Nadal missed so surprised Venables didn't put him or Les Ferdinand on in 120th minute if there were subs left.

One thing I noticed in that shoot out, Koepke kept diving to his right/left of penalty taker. Really someone should've just told Gareth Southgate to shoot to the right as Gazza and Sheringham had done in the previous two penalties. Or just hit it down the middle. ;)
Yeah I always find it incredible that goal predators like Fowler & Ferdinand did not come on in that game. Maybe Anderton & Mcmanaman had been affected by that chance missed which they created in extra time.

SharpshooterTom

Just watched the full match of England 1-1 Ireland at Italia 90.

Jesus, what a fecking awful match, couldn't wait for the match to be over, like having pins stuck in your eyes. Just two chances in the whole match - the two goals.

Ireland would make a Pulis managed team look like Barcelona in comparison. Even the short passes from Houghton etc were chipped into the air, nothing played along the ground or into feet.

England then reciprocated likewise with Terry Butcher smashing the ball long at every opportunity, the weather was wet and windy and so the wind kept blowing everything out of play. Nothing stuck up front for England. Since the ball was bypassing the midfield it meant Barnes and Beardsley were completely invisible.

England also went 1-0 early and never had another scoring opportunity, they deliberatly sat back and invited the aerial assault from Ireland. Ireland got their one scoring opportunity and took it from a McMahon mistake. Infact Ireland were arguably the better side since they actually had more of the ball in Englands half than theirs and try to win the game.

England were utterly useless.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Started watching the World Cup matches on FIFA’s Official YouTube today. Watched France-Argentina 2018 and just started Portugal-Spain 2018. First thing that stood out was that I didn’t realise that Bruno Fernandes was in the starting line up for that game, which was the first of the tournament. Good to see he went into the tournament in the starting line up as far back as 2018.

AKDevil

Has anyone found any good reviews of World Cups/Euros? Looking for 1998-2002 but struggling to find a good one. Barry Davies did a good review of Wc 1994 but similar for ones after a struggle.

Robertd0803

Just watched the full match of England 1-1 Ireland at Italia 90.

Jesus, what a fecking awful match, couldn't wait for the match to be over, like having pins stuck in your eyes. Just two chances in the whole match - the two goals.

Ireland would make a Pulis managed team look like Barcelona in comparison. Even the short passes from Houghton etc were chipped into the air, nothing played along the ground or into feet.

England then reciprocated likewise with Terry Butcher smashing the ball long at every opportunity, the weather was wet and windy and so the wind kept blowing everything out of play. Nothing stuck up front for England. Since the ball was bypassing the midfield it meant Barnes and Beardsley were completely invisible.

England also went 1-0 early and never had another scoring opportunity, they deliberatly sat back and invited the aerial assault from Ireland. Ireland got their one scoring opportunity and took it from a McMahon mistake. Infact Ireland were arguably the better side since they actually had more of the ball in Englands half than theirs and try to win the game.

Some fascinating choices in here. Just curious as to why you picked this match to subject yourself to?

Id seen highlights of it again recently and yeah it looked like a slog even from the highlights.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Especially when Germany did exactly that... put someone on near the end who took a penalty.

Who'd have thought Germans would be so organised?

ju_

Interesting thread. I wanna view the best (not the most hyped) performances of some players. For me Messi’s best performance was vs Atletic Bilbao 2015, not only because of the goal. Really worth a look.

It’s hard to find out which performance is the best. For example Ronaldo’s (Brazil) performance against United 2003 is often considered as his best. I think he had way better performances before his injuries. What do you think is his best? Vs Lazio 1998?

SharpshooterTom

Some fascinating choices in here. Just curious as to why you picked this match to subject yourself to?

Id seen highlights of it again recently and yeah it looked like a slog even from the highlights.
Because I'm currently going through watching all 52 full matches of Italia 90. I like learning about the history of football and eras before my time and since WC 94 was my first I was just curious to see what it was like. I'll be doing the same for Euro 96 when its realised on ITV hub next month. Likewise for Euro 88 and Euro 92 when I get access to them.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Interesting thread. I wanna view the best (not the most hyped) performances of some players. For me Messi’s best performance was vs Atletic Bilbao 2015, not only because of the goal. Really worth a look.

It’s hard to find out which performance is the best. For example Ronaldo’s (Brazil) performance against United 2003 is often considered as his best. I think he had way better performances before his injuries. What do you think is his best? Vs Lazio 1998?
His best performance for us was against Leverkusen. Worth a watch. 17/18 years old. Absolutely crazy good and great match.

Reactions: harms

Coleyoscar

Infact Ireland were arguably the better side since they actually had more of the ball in Englands half than theirs and try to win the game.

I remember Gary Lineker being interviewed after that game: "It was wet and windy, the ball was too soft, I had an upset tummy..." Hardly his finest hour.

Robertd0803

Because I'm currently going through watching all 52 full matches of Italia 90. I like learning about the history of football and eras before my time and since WC 94 was my first I was just curious to see what it was like. I'll be doing the same for Euro 96 when its realised on ITV hub next month. Likewise for Euro 88 and Euro 92 when I get access to them.
Ah thats a pretty cool idea.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Just watched highlights of Italy- S. Korea from 2002. Terrible decision to send Totti off. Italy missed so many chances at 1-1 though, Vieri and his non existant right foot. :lol: Spain got more unjust decisions in the next round, Coco could've easily got a red.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Watching the Arse v Man City at highbury, 2000/2001 league. What a great side Arsenal had; Viera, Pires, Adams, Bergkamp, Henry, etc.
City had Dickov, Goater, Haaland...
5-0 to the Arse.

Last edited:

SAFMUTD

Here in Mexico they are seemingly broadcasting all the games Manchester United lost, Ive seen Liverpool vs Manchester 2009/2010 we lost, Leicester vs Man Utd 2015 lost, Manchester vs West Ham 2014 draw, etc

Freaking broadcaster must be a Liverpool fan.