Watching old football matches

Ramos

I only used to rewatch certain memorable WC games. Examples: Romania-Argentina (94), Holland-Argentina (98), France-Brazil (98), Brazil-Germany (14), Belgium-Brazil (18) etc.

I think FIFAtv put some recent ones on YT for free now.

mancan92

Watching that england argentina game is frustrating as hell. Look at all the technical players england have on the pitch yet they spent 90 minutes playing hoof ball to heskey. No wonder they didnt win anything

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I only used to rewatch certain memorable WC games. Examples: Romania-Argentina (94), Holland-Argentina (98), France-Brazil (98), Brazil-Germany (14), Belgium-Brazil (18) etc.

I think FIFAtv put some recent ones on YT for free now.
Doesn't make sense to me that FIFA don't have an app that has old tournaments on, plus all the little documentaries and stuff like that.

They've got the footage so why dripfeed it on youtube? Just put an entire World Cup on and let us go through it match by match.

RooneyLegend

Euro 2000 is always worth a watch. So many truly great players were at their prime. I'm talking Figo, Totti, Becks, Kluivert, Rui Costa, Raul, Zidane etc

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Was that arse/utd FA up final from ‘79?
The one where Liam Brady’s stock rocketed?
He was already very well thought of... won PFA POTY that season, but it was probably the next season and his performances in Europe that caught the eye. Arse beat Juve in the semis and those games allegedly led to Juve buying him.

Genius of a player.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
He was already very well thought of... won PFA POTY that season, but it was probably the next season and his performances in Europe that caught the eye. Arse beat Juve in the semis and those games allegedly led to Juve buying him.

Genius of a player.

He was good alright. He’s still involved with the arse, or at least was a few years back.
Broke my heart that day the feckers. 3 great Irish players that day for the arse.
Looking at the team sheets it’s amazing, all Brits and the 3 Irish lads.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I saw extended highlights of the 1974 World Cup final yesterday. It was entertaining enough although I thought there were plenty of controversial decisions:

- I think that the foul by Uli Hoeness on Cruyff for the opening Dutch penalty took place outside the box.
- For the equalising German penalty, I thought that Bernd Holzebein dived over Wim Jansen's leg.
- In the 2nd half Gerd Muller had a second goal ludicrously disallowed for offside, one of the worst decisions I've seen in a World Cup final. That would have made it 3-1 to West Germany.
- About 5 minutes from the end, I thought that this time Wim Jansen definitely fouled Bernd Holzebein in the box, but no penalty was given. I guess we can say that cancelled out the incorrect decision to award a penalty in the 1st half.

Had Muller's second goal not been incorrectly disallowed, he would have scored braces in World Cup, European Championship, European Cup and DFB-Pokal finals and semi-finals. Scoring the winning goal in a World Cup final on home soil, in his last ever match for West Germany, would have been special enough though.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I also saw highlights of Slovakia-Italy from the 2010 World Cup, a rare exciting match from a generally dull tournament.

I was wondering whether a 'heavyweight' or highly rated team has ever been eliminated from an easier group than Italy in 2010? Finishing bottom and winless in a group with Paraguay, Slovakia and New Zealand was truly shocking.

I've followed World Cups since 1998, and I would say that Spain's groups in 1998 and 2014, France's groups in 2002 and 2010, Argentina's group in 2002, Portugal's group in 2002, Italy's own group in 2014 and Germany's group in 2018 were all clearly more difficult than Italy's in 2010.

Last edited:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I saw extended highlights of the 1974 World Cup final yesterday. It was entertaining enough although I thought there were plenty of controversial decisions:

- I think that the foul by Uli Hoeness on Cruyff for the opening Dutch penalty took place outside the box.
- For the equalising German penalty, I thought that Bernd Holzebein dived over Wim Jansen's leg.
- In the 2nd half Gerd Muller had a second goal ludicrously disallowed for offside, one of the worst decisions I've seen in a World Cup final. That would have made it 3-1 to West Germany.
- About 5 minutes from the end, I thought that this time Wim Jansen definitely fouled Bernd Holzebein in the box, but no penalty was given. I guess we can say that cancelled out the incorrect decision to award a penalty in the 1st half.

Had Muller's second goal not been incorrectly disallowed, he would have scored braces in World Cup, European Championship, European Cup and DFB-Pokal finals and semi-finals. Scoring the winning goal in a World Cup final on home soil, in his last ever match for West Germany, would have been special enough though.
What was the offside law back then?

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
What was the offside law back then?
I'm not fully sure what the exact rules were in 1974, although there seemed to be a pretty unanimous consensus at the time that the decision to disallow the goal was terrible.

Mr. Christian

John motson in his prime too.
How about the game in the movie ‘Victory’ starring a host of legends. Great movie and most memorable for watching Michael Cane running around with the likes of Pele and Bobby Moore looking like a complete non footballing baked potato. How time flies!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He was good alright. He’s still involved with the arse, or at least was a few years back.
Broke my heart that day the feckers. 3 great Irish players that day for the arse.
Looking at the team sheets it’s amazing, all Brits and the 3 Irish lads.
Joe Jordan was a beast in that game, one pretty much every header.

Reminded me a bit of 2005 final without the goals, Man. United well on top pretty much all the game.

Gopher Brown

Watch the whole treble run. It's just the pinnacle of football to me.

The game was nicer back then. Maverick football.
When I watch old games, particularly 1995-2002ish, I’m always amazed at how much ‘football’ is being played and how end to end everything is. The game is much slower and more technical now.

Here’s the first 5 min of a game against Juventus in 1996. More happens in it than in the entirety of a lot of games nowadays.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
When I watch old games, particularly 1995-2002ish, I’m always amazed at how much ‘football’ is being played and how end to end everything is. The game is much slower and more technical now.

Here’s the first 5 min of a game against Juventus in 1996. More happens in it than in the entirety of a lot of games nowadays.
The atmosphere was also much better.

Le Red

I agree. I think there's no coming back from the tactical evolution of the game, but I also believe the creative players will have a resurgence once defensive tactics evolve to counter the kind of mechanical football that is having so much success nowadays.
I think Bruno is a standard bearer for this movement.

Cantonagotmehere

How about the game in the movie ‘Victory’ starring a host of legends. Great movie and most memorable for watching Michael Cane running around with the likes of Pele and Bobby Moore looking like a complete non footballing baked potato. How time flies!
Love the movie. Planning to watch with my kids while we are hunkered down, great reminder. Thank you. Stallone was quite the keeper!

Cantonagotmehere

I agree. I think there's no coming back from the tactical evolution of the game, but I also believe the creative players will have a resurgence once defensive tactics evolve to counter the kind of mechanical football that is having so much success nowadays.
I think Bruno is a standard bearer for this movement.
Watching all those classic Premier League games (condensed to 30 minutes) has been a blast. Sure no playing out of the back. I enjoy it more, for sure.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
When I watch old games like from 80s, the different offside rule just makes the game so different. Basically everything is offside and the defenders are just running forward stupidly all the time because the linesmen will never let the play go on. Also goalkeeper handling ball after backpass makes it very strange.

I really enjoy watching games from 50s or 60s though, it was a fun style of football

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Rewatched Portugal v Spain from Euro 2004 since they're showing the matches on TV and even though it wasn't so long ago it's almost like a different sport how the game is played today. It was much more divided and based on individual duels while today the system is what matters and it's a much more colective game. Frisk as the ref makes me miss when referees showed their personality, teenagers Ronaldo and Torres were fantastic while Xabi Alonso got completely run over in midfield and Joaquin got shut down by Nuno Valente, Figo and Raul both pretty quiet with some flashes of what they were capable of.

Costinha and Ricardo Carvalho were superb and both are underrated to this day, Deco got all the plaudits when these two were often more important for Porto. Nuno Valente, Miguel, Puyol and Raul Bravo as the fullbacks says it all about how the fullback position has evolved since then. Juanito not getting sent off was hilarious but it wouldn't be a game against Spain without a terrible decision aganst us.

ROFLUTION

And now the dying minutes of a game is halted to check for VAR before a potential decisive corner can go on. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Highlights of French game from Euro 96 and some bloke called Loko scored. I have no memory of this bloke whatsoever but he must have been decent to get in the French side at that time.

fps

Just a much more exciting time as things were less controlled and analysed, and players had a mistake in them more.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Highlights of French game from Euro 96 and some bloke called Loko scored. I have no memory of this bloke whatsoever but he must have been decent to get in the French side at that time.
They struggled for a striker between Papin and the emergence of Henry/Trezeguet, especially with Cantona out of the picture.

ITV showing Arse - Pool from 1989 at 5pm today.

Ramos

Remember him. Was some character. Suffered a nervous breakdown linked to the death of his child i believe. Also had a highly mediatised incident involving a female police officer i recall. All that stuff probably hampered him.

Came from that Nantes team that won the league in 95 with the likes of Karembeu, Makelele, Pedros and Ouédec (another striker they tried out in that period).

Last edited:

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Just watched Flamengo vs Vasco da Gama (1982) as I felt like watching Adílio. Not his best game, but still managed to score the decisive goal in what was a tight contested game. Vasco were the stronger side in the first half, with the most impressive actions from Flamengo being defensive actions. Thought Júnior played some lovely passes into Adílio. The second half was like a completely different Flamengo side, as they were dominant.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I’m just watching United vs Everton 2012 (think it’s the 4-4 game with Fellaini double at 4-2)

The thing that has really struck me watching it so far is how much time and space our defenders and De Gea are being given on the ball. The game has changed a lot in that respect with every premier league team pressing from the front.

Hoof the ball

Bookmark this guy's YouTube channel. He's got by far the largest 90's Serie A collection I've seen in my life. Hundreds of full Serie A games on his channel, as well as Gazzetta Football Italia's, and he's uploading on average a couple of games per week still.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Been watching a lot of retro matches during lockdowns as Sky keep broadcasting highlights or even full game coverage of them. Quite a few available via On Demand.

And the games are mostly a bit rubbish. 4-4-2s, hoofing up the field, deeply simplistic passing and transition play. The truth is Jose managed to gazump Ferguson and Wenger by sticking one more man in midfield. By contrast Conte had to devise an entire system to win a title. It also shows that Fergie probably deserves even more credit than he actually got for adapting to the more modern/tactical era.

Not saying it didn't have it perks, there were some beautiful counter attacking goals also there was a lot of excellent off ball drama - especially in old United-Arsenal games, however tactically the teams were no where near as sophisticated.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Been watching a lot of retro matches during lockdowns as Sky keep broadcasting highlights or even full game coverage of them. Quite a few available via On Demand.

And the games are mostly a bit rubbish. 4-4-2s, hoofing up the field, deeply simplistic passing and transition play. The truth is Jose managed to gazump Ferguson and Wenger by sticking one more man in midfield. By contrast Conte had to devise an entire system to win a title. It also shows that Fergie probably deserves even more credit than he actually got for adapting to the more modern/tactical era.

Not saying it didn't have it perks, there were some beautiful counter attacking goals also there was a lot of excellent off ball drama - especially in old United-Arsenal games, however tactically the teams were no where near as sophisticated.
Not sure i understand this, are you suggesting the back three systems Conte favours were a built from the ground up innovation? They've been around for decades. The fine tuning might be more sophisticated now, but that's it.