Television Watchmen (HBO TV series)

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Didn't like that at all.

Robertd0803

Had no idea about this. What part of the story/timeline is it based on?

Reddy Rederson

Had no idea about this. What part of the story/timeline is it based on?
How is this related to Watchmen other than the Rorschach masks? Confused.
From what I’ve read, it’s a reimagining of the original comic. Its not supposed to be a sequel, yet I see older versions of characters from the original comic and don’t see any characters that’s died in the comic so who knows what’s going on. One thing has been said is that is has no connection at all with the Snyder movie.

Fingeredmouse

From what I’ve read, it’s a reimagining of the original comic. Its not supposed to be a sequel, yet I see older versions of characters from the original comic and don’t see any characters that’s died in the comic so who knows what’s going on. One thing has been said is that is has no connection at all with the Snyder movie.
Reimagining Alan Moore is brave!

Reddy Rederson

Reimagining Alan Moore is brave!
Damon Lindelof. The man who gave us Prometheus, Star Trek into darkness and world war z. Or to put it another way, the guy who built up humanities creators and then had them say not a single word, the guy who thought he could reimagine khan and make it better and the guy who thought he could make world war z better.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Damon Lindelof. The man who gave us Prometheus, Star Trek into darkness and world war z. Or to put it another way, the guy who built up humanities creators and then had them say not a single word, the guy who thought he could reimagine khan and make it better and the guy who thought he could make world war z better.
If you look at the glass half-full his most recent work was The Leftovers which was pretty great but he did have an Academy nominated screenwriter with him on that.

He wasn't a main writer on Star Trek and only spent a few days with the writer on Prometheus for the finishing touches which Ridley Scott already liked.

World War Z was just a mess.

TV is a different beast and his track record there is much better. Cast looks good.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
No idea what this will be like after that teaser. If they make a Watchmen series, I would welcome a try at sticking as close as possible to the graphic novel (I've read only 2-3, but Watchmen convinced me that the term 'graphic novel' is not just fancy words but an actual genre).

Pscholes18

Sooo I saw part of the film, never read the GN, are there superheroes from the comic in this series or is just just a bunch of regular characters??

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
If you look at the glass half-full his most recent work was The Leftovers which was pretty great but he did have an Academy nominated screenwriter with him on that.

He wasn't a main writer on Star Trek and only spent a few days with the writer on Prometheus for the finishing touches which Ridley Scott already liked.

World War Z was just a mess.

TV is a different beast and his track record there is much better. Cast looks good.
He did Lost.

JoaquinJoaquin

The graphic novel is one of my favourites of all time, and I loved the movie. This trailer however has disappointed me. Hoping the show is better.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The film was very good so I'll give this a try on that basis, even though the two are apparently unrelated.

Chairman Steve

Watchmen as a HBO mini series excites me. Damon Lindelof helming it does not... although at least there’s an actual set ending to Watchmen which was written by a much more talented writer.

From a dreaming perspective, I’d love it if David Fincher directed all of the mini series. If he was to do one comic book superhero IP, it’d be this one.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Not having Lindelof slander. The Leftovers was fecking fantastic

I’m all in for this

Sanche7

Premiers on Oct 20 and so far the reviews look really good.
It has a score of 82 on metacritc and 91 on Rottentomatoes.
Here are some of the reviews :
This is breathtaking, ambitious television that only gets richer with each subsequent episode." - Roger Ebert

• "The series' scope is astonishing given its subject matter, and even more so given its relentless entertainment value." - IndieWire

• "Watchmen pushes the envelope of the superhero genre, in better, more successful ways than what has been claimed of other adaptations this year." - Gadgets 360

• "Bold, breathtaking, and polarizing, Watchmen is a triumph." - Decider

HBO's 'Watchmen' is one of the best new shows this year - Insider

The perfect Comic book adaptation - BBC

Sanche7

Although the reviews are positive, glancing through some of them gave me the feeling that not everyone is going to like it. I expect it to be divisive just like the Joker movie

Andersons Dietician

Although the reviews are positive, glancing through some of them gave me the feeling that not everyone is going to like it. I expect it to be divisive just like the Joker movie
The source material in itself was pretty divisive going to give it a go and see how it is.

Sanche7

Is it best to watch the film first?
The movie is pretty good so it wouldn't hurt to watch it but I don't think there is a big connection between the movie and the TV show other then the fact that 2 or 3 of the movie characters appear in the show and that it's happening in the same universe. At least that's what if gathered from reading about the show. So although it's not a must to enjoy the TV show, it will be good to know the characters and the general theme of the show

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
The movie is pretty good so it wouldn't hurt to watch it but I don't think there is a big connection between the movie and the TV show other then the fact that 2 or 3 of the movie characters appear in the show and that it's happening in the same universe. At least that's what if gathered from reading about the show. So although it's not a must to enjoy the TV show, it will be good to know the characters and the general theme of the show
Read the comic, it’s worth it. The film is average.
Thanks guys, it's on Sky One tonight @ 22:00 so i'll probably watch it, and as for comics don't think i've read one since religiously reading the Beano and Dandy in the early 70's ;)

Robertd0803

Struggling to finish the first episode.

The only decent part so far is keeping an eye on the newspaper headlines in the background.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Really fantastic.

The film was tripe. This was awesome.
I felt the version released in cinemas was not bad and was a pretty decent adaptation of a book that had the reputation of being impossible to adapt. Then the extended version, which had about 30 extra minutes (and mainly just went a bit further in terms of character development + one very good scene) was actually very good.

Sanche7

Was really good IMO. Excited to see where it's going. The costumes are just awesome. I hope we get to see Dr Manhattan, he's just such an awesome character

muller

I really enjoyed this. I'm now looking for an easy find of the original comic book series which this apparently leads on from.

Also, I liked the movie. It might have been 60% thanks to Silk Spectre outfit but I didn't get why it got so much criticism. Thought it was good.

Member 39557

Was really good IMO. Excited to see where it's going. The costumes are just awesome. I hope we get to see Dr Manhattan, he's just such an awesome character
I'm sure I saw him on Mars in the background tv news footage.

Sanche7

I'm sure I saw him on Mars in the background tv news footage.
Yup, he was standing in front of a castle which looked similar to Ozymandias/Veidt's castle shown later in the episode. There was this promo video, which showed Dr Manhattan's blue hands, also in one of the trailers, there's a shot in which he picks up a Dr Manhattan mask. Think it's safe to say that he'll be involved

noodlehair

"It's like..."
It was interesting. Am I supposed to not have a clue what the feck is going on?