Television Watchmen (HBO TV series)

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
What I can’t get past is the terrible Okie accent from the politician. He sounds like a Canadian trying to sound like he’s from east Texas.

Looking Glass’s accent is acceptable, if only because he’s a much cooler character.
A lot politicians talk without accents. Beto O'Rourke doesn't sound like a Texan, Adam Schiff talks like he never lived a day in Southern California, etc.

Real life politicians don't always have overly affected regional accents (unless they are New Yorkers)

Also I have a friend who grew up in Oklahoma and he has nothing of the accent from there.

Sanche7

That joke Laurie was telling Dr Manhattan, it has so many layers. God accuses the heroes of many things, but its only when he dies that we realise that he has done everything he accused the heroes of.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
A lot politicians talk without accents. Beto O'Rourke doesn't sound like a Texan, Adam Schiff talks like he never lived a day in Southern California, etc.

Real life politicians don't always have overly affected regional accents (unless they are New Yorkers)

Also I have a friend who grew up in Oklahoma and he has nothing of the accent from there.
Exactly. I’m from Tulsa and I find the accentuated accent annoying to the point of being immersion breaking.

(But Beto does sound like he’s from west Texas...:cool:)

nimic

something nice
Scout
loads of Trump supporters were furious with the opening scene showing a race war.
Well, less of a race war and more of a white-on-black massacre. One that actually happened, too.

Everyone who listens to podcasts should listen to the Watchmen podcast. Lindelof himself is in it, with Chris Mazin - the guy who made Chernobyl. He himself was part of an official episode-by-episode podcast for that series, and clearly he thought it was a good idea. Some good insights in it. Well, in both of them, really.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Really digging the soundtrack from Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross.

Starting to slot together 3 episodes in.

2 things.
Looks like Ozymandias is being kept off the planet possibly by Dr Manhattan and is using his clone companions as Guinea pigs for a bust out.

Secondly, I think the senator is going to turn out to be a wrong un. That suicide bomber scene looked pretty staged and parallels the "assassination" attempt on Veidt in the original story.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Is there some sort of backlash that's causing its current low rating on imdb, or is it just the usual?
Some fans hate the strong focus on white suprematist group making it too 'political'. But like Mockney explained in a post on last page that shines more light on their own biases.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Find the show very disorienting having no clue about the universe via the comics or the movies but it is still very engaging.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Veidt needs more screen time. He’s fantastic. It looks like
Looking Glass will have more of a role to play soon.

It feels like they’re building towards a big mind-feck episode, but whether that’s involving Dr Manhattan or whatever this True(sp) Lady is cooking up (or whether it’s episode 5 or 6) I cannot guess.

evil_geko

Oh wow, it's rated 6.8 on ImdB!! I've no idea why it's rated so low, it's a fantastic show
Rotten Tomatoes is even worse, it is at 42% for audience.

It's not THAT bad but writing is pretty bad tbh, I might be done with it after few episodes.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Rotten Tomatoes is even worse, it is at 42% for audience.

It's not THAT bad but writing is pretty bad tbh, I might be done with it after few episodes.
The section of the populace that is more sympathetic towards the 7th Cavalry than the ‘superheroes’ has a history of being easily mobilized online.

Kicking the series off with the Tulsa race riots that were largely buried in even the local history books and making white supremacists the villains (or one of the villains at least) triggered them from what I’ve heard, so that’s at least part of the low audience scores.

Last edited:

Sanche7

The section of the populace that is more sympathetic towards the 7th Cavalry than the ‘superheroes’ has a history of being easily mobilized online.

Kicking the series off with the Tulsa race riots that were largely buried in even the local history books and making white supremacists the villains (or one of the villains at least) triggered them from what I’ve heard, so that’s at least part of the low audience scores.
I could be really wrong here but I don't think the white supremacists / white supremacist supporters are that big a group. And even if they are, I don't think they have that massive an online presence. And even if they do, the PC Gang should have overcorrected for them. That's what I've seen in many of these controversial films/shows. Captain Marvel is a good example. The movie had really poor ratings even before its release as many men weren't really big fans of Brie Larson. But now I look at the ratings and it has a score of 7 on ImdB and if you ask me, it's a 6,6.5 movie at best.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I could be really wrong here but I don't think the white supremacists / white supremacist supporters are that big a group. And even if they are, I don't think they have that massive an online presence. And even if they do, the PC Gang should have overcorrected for them. That's what I've seen in many of these controversial films/shows. Captain Marvel is a good example. The movie had really poor ratings even before its release as many men weren't really big fans of Brie Larson. But now I look at the ratings and it has a score of 7 on ImdB and if you ask me, it's a 6,6.5 movie at best.
I can't think why anyone would rate this show that low though other than because they are sensitive about the subject matter. For it to be ranking in the 40-60% region you'd need to have peopledeliberately tanking it rather than being objective, and if it's not people who don't like the white supremacist theme, who else would it be?

The idea if a superhero usually appeals on some level to these types. A (usually) white bloke in a costume who goes around beating on bad guys because he's superior to them. Then they tune in and are immediately confronted with a scene exposing white supremacy as barbaric racism. Not hard to see how that would rile them up.

Sanche7

Yeah you are probably right, maybe it just riled up some of the white dudes too along with the white supremacists. I mean we live in a time where people get offended by anything and everything

Last edited:

Sanche7

Eh? As it stands he’s 3 for 3.
People are still pissed about the ending of lost (and rightfully so) and very few people have actually seen the leftovers despite the glowing reviews. So for most people Lindelof is the guy who fecked up what could have been one of the best shows of all time, a bit like how D&D are hated for fecking up GOT

jeff_goldblum

I could be really wrong here but I don't think the white supremacists / white supremacist supporters are that big a group. And even if they are, I don't think they have that massive an online presence.
I mean, there was certainly enough of them to elect the current president and form the bulk of his executive.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
People are still pissed about the ending of lost (and rightfully so) and very few people have actually seen the leftovers despite the glowing reviews. So for most people Lindelof is the guy who fecked up what could have been one of the best shows of all time, a bit like how D&D are hated for fecking up GOT
Also Prometheus...

Have heard The Leftovers is good. Too many TV shows.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Game of Thrones was still an amazing television show, in spite of the weak ending, as was Lost. The Leftovers is fantastic, people not watching it doesn’t make it weaker. Like I said, 3 for 3.

Prometheus I’ve never seen, so I can’t really comment. But TV/Film obviously has a huge distinction.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
I don't think Lost's problem was the ending.

It's a bloated show full of cheesy poorly written characters (bar one or two) and weird for the sake of weird mysteries (but not in a good David Lynch way)

They wrote themselves into a corner and there wasn't any chance of a "good" ending.

anyway, I'm trying hard to give Watchmen a chance, the first episode is pretty weak but maybe it'll get better. I remember having trouble getting into the fecking Wire so you never know with tv shows.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
It's not. Overrated. It's like a very good question, without a good answer.
I was getting that vibe a little from some of Watchmen episode 3. It seems the thing now though to string along the audience with tantalising tid bits in lieu of a more well structured story. I think of it as the Westworld effect but I'm sure Lost popularised it.

Then again I'm from the olden times when a little subterfuge in the telling went a long way. Now the kids are all about the plot sleuthing on their interwebs.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
It's not. Overrated. It's like a very good question, without a good answer.
If that's how you feel about The Leftovers, then you kinda missed the whole point of it, which was that the answer was never important, but the journey was. Superb show which didn't overstay its welcome, with excellent all round performances, amazing music and various tones (rarely has a show handled the absurd and the dramatic as well as this) which amounted to a pretty perfect result.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Stunner of an episode.

I thought Looking Glass would get some good screen time because of his investigation quest with the pills but...wow.

Kind of funny that I was whining about that politician's terrible accent now. LG called him out on it too..:cool:

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Wow. That's one of the best episodes of TV I've seen in a long time. Just brilliant.

Mockney

Wow, they actually showed.... that!... and it didn’t look bad!

The...

Schindler’s List stuff...

Was a little cringe though...And Jeremy Iron’s accent is appalling.

Last edited:

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Wow, they actually showed.... that!... and it didn’t look bad!

The...

Schindler’s List stuff...

Was a little cringe though...And Jeremy Iron’s accent is appalling.
Why?
What accent do you think he is getting wrong?

Mockney

Why?
What accent do you think he is getting wrong?
Just that, or both?

1) it was just a little on the nose for me. More Last Action Hero than Watchmen. Also the Holocaust still happened, and making a black and white film about an 80s atrocity makes a lot less sense. 9/11 would be the better parallel to “replace” in media if you have to do that kind of one-to-one parallel (which I’d personally rather they didn’t)

2) Its just really OTT and a bit comical. It sounds like someone putting on a ridiculous American accent. Which it is, as it’s the same one he used in Die Hard 3 when his character put on a ridiculous fake American accent!

All the stuff about Looking Glass was good though.

Last edited:

Sanche7

why do the cops wear masks inside the police station
I don't think the cops reveal their identity to anyone, not even to the FBI or the politicians. They say multiple times on the show that the seventh cavalry could be anywhere.