Television Watchmen (HBO TV series)

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Cheers!

I still don't get why
Dr. Manhattan didn't just destroy the gun? Nothing stopped him from doing so unless he's not doing it because it already happened?
It is a mindfeck to think about it. Dr. M always says that he experiences everything at once and time is not linear for him so at least the show seems to take the approach of Dr M being able to know the future but not able to change the same since by the very act of experiencing it at the same instant as any other instant means it has already happened. It is not completely logical since it brings into question his and others' free will. Regarding Vietnam war when asked why he chose to carry out the attach when he knew he would end up regretting it, he simply says that people sometimes do things they know they will regret. Does this mean he had the choice but chose not to alter the future or he knows that he can not change what has already happened in future so he does not bother trying? Same with the fight when Angela asks him to leave, Angela is trying to avoid it but he has a resignation to him suggesting any effort to stop the same will be futile.
Don't think there will ever be a 100% logically consistent answer to this similar to any time travel conundrum but show does a good enough job with the overall story not to be an albatross around its neck.

Helder-Carvalho

My guess is he has a long con going on somehow. We know he spoke to Laurie without his wife there, and he said his wife needed to see him over water for some reason. He cant say so though because of the chicken egg scenario. Bit honestly, who knows. They have littered so many little plots anything could happen

This is just brilliant tv. Cant see a 2nd season though sadly. How do you follow this?
Probably this is just a one season show, there are rumours there wont be a second season.

crappycraperson

Scout
Yeah, there were so many things that could’ve gone wrong with that episode (Dr Manhattan falls in love with our main character!!) but just didn’t.

Don’t feck up the last one
I think show has actually answered a lot of mysteries already. I expect finale to be somewhat straight forward. If they follow through with what Dr. M said then he would die despite best efforts by Angela and co, most likely passing on his powers to someone else. Only reason question is what role Ozymandias will play, whether he will be present at the start of the finale or will land at the end to set up the second season. Interesting bit is that some critics think there may not be a second season and this might be one and done thing.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I think show has actually answered a lot of mysteries already. I expect finale to be somewhat straight forward. If they follow through with what Dr. M said then he would die despite best efforts by Angela and co, most likely passing on his powers to someone else. Only reason question is what role Ozymandias will play, whether he will be present at the start of the finale or will land at the end to set up the second season. Interesting bit is that some critics think there may not be a second season and this might be one and done thing.
I think Ozymandias is already there. Otherwise what was the object crashing to earth near the house from a few episodes ago?

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Part of me thinks that one great season would be enough but...I know I'm going to want more and I'm sure HBO would let them.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Why do those HBO series insist on uneven number of episodes? It's so weird to see an episode 7 or an episode 9 as a season's finale!

Hopefully they'll make more though. The production's level is insane.

Sanche7

HBO really hitting it out of the park with their new shows. Both Watchmen and His Dark Materials have been fantastic. Barry has been really good too. And Chernobyl ended just a few months ago.
Although GOT final season was a disappointment, these new shows have more than made up for the poor season

crappycraperson

Scout
I think Ozymandias is already there. Otherwise what was the object crashing to earth near the house from a few episodes ago?
Yes, definitely makes sense. My point was more about if he will play a big role in finale or just set up the second season. It is more likely to be the former I think.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Part of me thinks that one great season would be enough but...I know I'm going to want more and I'm sure HBO would let them.
Let’s see how we’re feeling after season two. I wasn’t sure The Leftovers needed a third season and it ended up being the best of the bunch.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Yes, definitely makes sense. My point was more about if he will play a big role in finale or just set up the second season. It is more likely to be the former I think.
Yeah. I think he'll play a fairly significant part. Definitely part of whatever Trieu is up to. We didn't get to see all of Manhattan's conversation with Will either and he definitely which was part of whatever outcome he'd envisaged.

It's just whether or not they leave it open for a second season. Very clever how it's all come together over the last few episodes yet I still don't really know what's going to happen

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
3.5 episodes into this with no previous knowledge. Still fairly perplexed. Wtf am I watching? It's intriguing though so I'll keep going.

Regarding the modest rating discussion on the first couple of pages, I think that's down to most the casual viewers finding the whole thing a bit odd rather than just the white supremacists downvoting it.

LonelyFire

Lindelof has maintained all along this would be a self contained season so you won’t see anything teeing up a second season. He done the same with each season of The Leftovers.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Regarding the modest rating discussion on the first couple of pages, I think that's down to most the casual viewers finding the whole thing a bit odd rather than just the white supremacists downvoting it.
Modest? It had a terrible rating.

Just speaking colloquially, there was a definite backlash to it. But I don't want to derail this thread too far...

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I'm six episodes in now. Wasn't mad on the earlier episodes but the last two were absolutely exceptional.

Funnily enough it really reminds me of The Leftovers. Starts very slow, a bit inconsistent and then the episodes that focus on individual characters are amazing.

Seems to be getting terrible viewing numbers on HBO, though, and it can't be cheap to make..

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'm six episodes in now. Wasn't mad on the earlier episodes but the last two were absolutely exceptional.

Funnily enough it really reminds me of The Leftovers. Starts very slow, a bit inconsistent and then the episodes that focus on individual characters are amazing.

Seems to be getting terrible viewing numbers on HBO, though, and it can't be cheap to make..
I think the IMDb ratings show the progression of the show quite well:

crappycraperson

Scout
Satisfactory and solid finale. I do think they needed to give some breathing space between Lady Trieu meeting Veidt after the rescue and Veidt wanting to stop her. It makes sense that he did what he did but it felt a bit rushed. Ideally Dr M would have died last episode itself, that would have made more sense given the theme of the episode. Then this episode could have spent more time marinating on Trieu being the main villain and played on varying motivations of Veidt much more than it ended up doing.

Also Looking Glass ended up doing pretty much nothing even as an undercover RW nut and even Laurie was reduced to being a bystander of sorts. Surprised we did not see any interaction between her and Dr M.

Overall definitely a season I will be rewatching again! Would prefer if there was no season 2, think this was a perfect self contained story.

Reactions: CassiusClaymore

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Satisfactory and solid finale. I do think they needed to give some breathing space between Lady Trieu meeting Veidt after the rescue and Veidt wanting to stop her. It makes sense that he did what he did but it felt a bit rushed. Ideally Dr M would have died last episode itself, that would have made more sense given the theme of the episode. Then this episode could have spent more time marinating on Trieu being the main villain and played on varying motivations of Veidt much more than it ended up doing.

Also Looking Glass ended up doing pretty much nothing even as an undercover RW nut and even Laurie was reduced to being a bystander of sorts. Surprised we did not see any interaction between her and Dr M.

Overall definitely a season I will be rewatching again! Would prefer if there was no season 2, think this was a perfect self contained story.
Looking Glass and Laurie deserved more screen time, but let’s not forget the real victim here: Lube Guy.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

The way it's ended, Season 2 would like its own show basically so as long as they take care of the writing and the plot being well detailed and revealed, I'd love it.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Okay, I finally forgive Lindelof for Lost and the stupidest parts of Prometheus. Fair play man.

If anyone sees him, be sure to let him know.

My only small, inessential continuity issue with the finale...

Those frozen squids were incredibly inconsistent with what they damaged.... they can shoot straight through Lady Trieu’s palm and destroy the Millennium Clock, but they can’t penetrate a building, or a car? Or a phone box with essentially the constitution of a porta-loo? or the small plastic lid of a picnic cooler?

Okay, I’ll go with it, but just know that I know it’s dumb!

Last edited:

Skåre Willoch

Great last episode that tied it all up very nicely, and also set up a second season.

Show of the year for me by some distance.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
My memory's a bit fuzzy on this but didn't we see the gold statue of Ozymandias at Trieu's clock thing in earlier episodes? Suggesting he's been hanging around there for a while.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
My memory's a bit fuzzy on this but didn't we see the gold statue of Ozymandias at Trieu's clock thing in earlier episodes? Suggesting he's been hanging around there for a while.
She’s been waiting to unthaw him; just in time to see her perfect plan.

Oldyella

Amazing stuff. Pretty much perfect tv.

Would take another season but will be happy if they leave it there. I hope, much like this season, they o ly do it if they feel they have a story to tell and don't just churn one out because this has been successful