Television Watchmen (HBO TV series)

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
My memory's a bit fuzzy on this but didn't we see the gold statue of Ozymandias at Trieu's clock thing in earlier episodes? Suggesting he's been hanging around there for a while.
It was the thing that fell from space on the farm she purchased.

Rooney1987

Okay, I finally forgive Lindelof for Lost and the stupidest parts of Prometheus. Fair play man.

If anyone sees him, be sure to let him know.

My only small, inessential continuity issue with the finale...

Those frozen squids were incredibly inconsistent with what they damaged.... they can shoot straight through Lady Trieu’s palm and destroy the Millennium Clock, but they can’t penetrate a building, or a car? Or a phone box with essentially the constitution of a porta-loo? or the small plastic lid of a picnic cooler?

Okay, I’ll go with it, but just know that I know it’s dumb!
Have you seen The Leftovers? Lindelof did that and was an amazing show.

I had no interest in Watchmen but got hooked on the first ep, like The Leftovers fair play to Lindelof he did it again.

Rooney1987

Watchmen is 10 times better than The Leftovers though.
Right but I didn't say it was better or worse. Just pointing out it's another good Lindelof show that stuck the landing. Lindelof get a lot of crap over Lost and the Alien prequel but I think his 2 most recent shows have really been quality.

evil_geko

I read how Watchmen Season 2 is in doubt, no wonder how underwhelming it was, oh well.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
There will very much be a season 2 I think.

There’s no chance the hints with Nite-Owl are not followed up on.
It is not that simple since Lindeof has already said that he won't be creating another season since he is out of ideas. So HBO will have to hire another show runner which will push the season next by 2-3 years at least. For on going seasons of shows, next season is already written if not in production by the time current one is airing.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
Interview with Lindelof

Relevant bit about season 2:
"I’ll say it’s still too early to answer that question. Right now the space that HBO is in and that I’m in is we’re asking the question, Should there be another season of “Watchmen”? And if there should be another season, what would it be? I’m not saying I don’t want to do it, or it shouldn’t exist. I’m just saying, “Boy, every idea that I had went into this season of ‘Watchmen.'” I’m going to put up my antenna, see if it’s receiving anything. If it’s not receiving anything in a reasonable period of time — and I’ll just say off the top of my head, it feels completely and totally arbitrary, but like a couple of months doesn’t feel unreasonable, you know, January, February, maybe March — then I think we move on to your question, which is, if not me, then who?

Because I actually do agree with HBO that this should be a continuing series. Maybe it’ll continue in a year or two, maybe they’ll continue it in four years or whatever, but I want to see more “Watchmen.” I always said to them, I do see “Watchmen” as “Fargo,” as “True Detective.” They were ongoing anthology shows, but each season had a design with a beginning, middle and end that allowed subsequent seasons to feature entirely different characters, or even be set in entirely different time periods. That’s why I think HBO is calling it an ongoing series. I didn’t say to them, “Guys, this is going to be nine episodes, and it’s going to be like ‘Chernobyl,’ and then we should just walk away.” And so it’s unfair for me now to say, I’m changing the rules.

I do think that there has to be space for private, personal conversations that happen between HBO and I. My guess is some of those conversations are going to start happening this week, and I probably won’t be sharing them with the press. I don’t think it’s appropriate to do so. But I can tell you, at this moment in time that you and I are talking, I haven’t said anything to you that I haven’t said to HBO, and vice versa."

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Interview with Lindelof

Relevant bit about season 2:
"I’ll say it’s still too early to answer that question. Right now the space that HBO is in and that I’m in is we’re asking the question, Should there be another season of “Watchmen”? And if there should be another season, what would it be? I’m not saying I don’t want to do it, or it shouldn’t exist. I’m just saying, “Boy, every idea that I had went into this season of ‘Watchmen.'” I’m going to put up my antenna, see if it’s receiving anything. If it’s not receiving anything in a reasonable period of time — and I’ll just say off the top of my head, it feels completely and totally arbitrary, but like a couple of months doesn’t feel unreasonable, you know, January, February, maybe March — then I think we move on to your question, which is, if not me, then who?

Because I actually do agree with HBO that this should be a continuing series. Maybe it’ll continue in a year or two, maybe they’ll continue it in four years or whatever, but I want to see more “Watchmen.” I always said to them, I do see “Watchmen” as “Fargo,” as “True Detective.” They were ongoing anthology shows, but each season had a design with a beginning, middle and end that allowed subsequent seasons to feature entirely different characters, or even be set in entirely different time periods. That’s why I think HBO is calling it an ongoing series. I didn’t say to them, “Guys, this is going to be nine episodes, and it’s going to be like ‘Chernobyl,’ and then we should just walk away.” And so it’s unfair for me now to say, I’m changing the rules.

I do think that there has to be space for private, personal conversations that happen between HBO and I. My guess is some of those conversations are going to start happening this week, and I probably won’t be sharing them with the press. I don’t think it’s appropriate to do so. But I can tell you, at this moment in time that you and I are talking, I haven’t said anything to you that I haven’t said to HBO, and vice versa."
I think that's fair enough and probably the best approach to take. He might get an idea of where to take a certain character or explore a certain theme and that's the beauty of doing it as an anthology show as opposed to something like Westworld which kind of runs out of steam because it's still shackled to it's central narrative.

I certainly would not be interested in seeing Veidt on trial and the WW3 threat back on the menu because of it. It's too linear.

Simbo

My only small, inessential continuity issue with the finale...

Those frozen squids were incredibly inconsistent with what they damaged.... they can shoot straight through Lady Trieu’s palm and destroy the Millennium Clock, but they can’t penetrate a building, or a car? Or a phone box with essentially the constitution of a porta-loo? or the small plastic lid of a picnic cooler?

Okay, I’ll go with it, but just know that I know it’s dumb!
It might just make sense that the frozen squids were inconsistent if you think about the shape of them. With their tenticles extended I suppose one end is a ball shape, the sides are flat, then the other end could be a sharp point. Having said that they should all be falling heavy (ball) side first though so I dunno.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Phenomenal season.

Start the new decade as you mean to go on, Lindelof.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Started slow but that was really something by the end. The last 5 episodes were all sublime.

It also took me waaaay too fecking long to realize that Ozymandias scenes took place once a year :lol:

I think there should definitely be a season two but if there isn't it was still a great self contained series.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I strongly disagree. Season's two and three of The Leftover's are just as good as Watchmen. And International Assassin is one of the best TV episodes ever.
Ignore him, he really hates The Leftovers for some reason. Incredible show.

Simbo

It is not that simple since Lindeof has already said that he won't be creating another season since he is out of ideas. So HBO will have to hire another show runner which will push the season next by 2-3 years at least. For on going seasons of shows, next season is already written if not in production by the time current one is airing.
So its just up to Lindeof coming up with an idea then? Could happen tomorrow!

Suv666

First epsiode wasnt all that, but amazing after that. The best show of the year for me. HBO never disappoints.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I haven’t watched the finale yet. I’m pretty upset with the whole notion that Dr Manhattan is to be killed. I had assumed in episode 9 that he had chosen to be captured as it was part of a plan, or he wants to die for some reason; because he could so easily have escaped/destroyed everything. So the idea that he can be captured and killed by any human I find properly stupid. It’s really the only reason I didn’t watch it yet.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Judging by the podcast, there's not going to be a second season. I suppose he could change his mind, but he didn't sound like he wanted to do one. Doing a second season without him sounds like a bad idea, honestly. Some things can stay a single season.

Excellent series, anyway. The finale was merely adequate by the standards of the few prior episodes, but all in all it worked.

That was immense. Along with Chernobyl, series of the year.
Those two have a mildly interesting connection. Chernobyl had an official companion podcast featuring Craig Mazin, the creator/writer. Watchmen also has an official companion podcast (though only three episodes) featuring Damon Lindelof, and which is hosted by Craig Mazin. I guess he liked the format.

Last edited:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I really enjoyed it and thought it wrapped everything up pretty well.

The only fairly big sticking point for me is the idea that Dr Manhattan, who can teleport himself or anything else, destroy things with his mind, see the future, reconfigure matter, etc...would get captured by someone very slowly aiming at and shooting him with a giant gun.

I thought it'd turn out he allowed it to happen on purpose and maybe you can argue he did, but that would very much be an interpretation rather than the show hinting in that direction.

I can forgive it though as it's a sticking point in an otherwise surprisingly good plot.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports

The only fairly big sticking point for me is the idea that Dr Manhattan, who can teleport himself or anything else, destroy things with his mind, see the future, reconfigure matter, etc...would get captured by someone very slowly aiming at and shooting him with a giant gun.

I thought it'd turn out he allowed it to happen on purpose and maybe you can argue he did, but that would very much be an interpretation rather than the show hinting in that direction.

I can forgive it though as it's a sticking point in an otherwise surprisingly good plot.
Well this confirms what I feared. I can’t watch the finale now. It’s such an appallingly massive plot hole, it pretty much ruins everything for me. The entire Watchmen universe in fact. Up until that, this was an incredible show. How they could get that so wrong is beyond me.

Amarsdd

Well this confirms what I feared. I can’t watch the finale now. It’s such an appallingly massive plot hole, it pretty much ruins everything for me. The entire Watchmen universe in fact. Up until that, this was an incredible show. How they could get that so wrong is beyond me.
From the graphic novel and from the series, I always thought Dr. Manhattan as someone who just followed a plan with little creativity and one in search of humanity in himself. A plan mainly in the sense of time as he exists in the past, present and future at all time and follows the plan laid out by the flow of time he sees. Thus, when he sees himself dying he knows not to change that. In terms of his search of humanity, he felt the first sense of humanity falling in love with Angela. Next the biggest feature of feeling human is death, so he quite clearly made a plan to die with the help of Will Reeves. Thus, it was his choice to get captured and die. From those point of views, I think the series and the finale did very well in the portrayal of Dr. Manhattan and I don't see him not using his powers at those points as a plot hole.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
From the graphic novel and from the series, I always thought Dr. Manhattan as someone who just followed a plan with little creativity and one in search of humanity in himself. A plan mainly in the sense of time as he exists in the past, present and future at all time and follows the plan laid out by the flow of time he sees. Thus, when he sees himself dying he knows not to change that. In terms of his search of humanity, he felt the first sense of humanity falling in love with Angela. Next the biggest feature of feeling human is death, so he quite clearly made a plan to die with the help of Will Reeves. Thus, it was his choice to get captured and die. From those point of views, I think the series and the finale did very well in the portrayal of Dr. Manhattan and I don't see him not using his powers at those points as a plot hole.
This argument has been made on plenty of forums, with the crux being that because he experienced time simultaneously, he is unable to change any of it. But there has never been anything to suggest that he lacks self determination, just that he is inbound by the linear concept of time. If it was established that he had grown weary of his existence, or his experience of love with Angela Abar was contingent on his death, then there would be some sense. Neither of these things appear to be true or are implied.

Angela could have easily attempted to save him, and he still could’ve saved himself. Tbh they tried far too hard to be clever and in the process destroyed the entire point of his character, which underpins this universe. Even if the moment is past, present and future to DrM at all times, in the determination of the action he still could’ve teleported the entire 7K to Jupiter. They tried to create this sense of inevitability about it, but it made no sense.

Amarsdd

This argument has been made on plenty of forums, with the crux being that because he experienced time simultaneously, he is unable to change any of it. But there has never been anything to suggest that he lacks self determination, just that he is inbound by the linear concept of time. If it was established that he had grown weary of his existence, or his experience of love with Angela Abar was contingent on his death, then there would be some sense. Neither of these things appear to be true or are implied.

Angela could have easily attempted to save him, and he still could’ve saved himself. Tbh they tried far too hard to be clever and in the process destroyed the entire point of his character, which underpins this universe. Even if the moment is past, present and future to DrM at all times, in the determination of the action he still could’ve teleported the entire 7K to Jupiter. They tried to create this sense of inevitability about it, but it made no sense.
I did not mean "he was weary of his existence or his experience of love with Angela was contingent on his death" but that he was in search of humanity in himself or feel like human again. I think this point is there in the graphic novel and also from the series where he chose to put on a human body and later chose to forget about his powers and live with Angela. And based on that, his final plan was to feel death which is the ultimate feature of humanity. And again I think this is clear as he had planned all of this out with Will Reeves.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
I did not mean "he was weary of his existence or his experience of love with Angela was contingent on his death" but that he was in search of humanity in himself or feel like human again. I think this point is there in the graphic novel and also from the series where he chose to put on a human body and later chose to forget about his powers and live with Angela. And based on that, his final plan was to feel death which is the ultimate feature of humanity. And again I think this is clear as he had planned all of this out with Will Reeves.
He accepted death the moment he accepted the tachyon ring from Ozy.
I can almost accept these answers. They are good. Yet in your heart of hearts, do you really feel that there is any real narrative present to support that. I feel we, as fans, are forced to use our imaginations too much to come up with reasons to make his decisions palatable. There is little to nothing in his behaviour to suggest these things, and his actions could quite easily be interpreted in other ways. If this omnipotent character, who’s mere existence underpins so much of the universe, is going to go through such a radical arc, why give him 1-2 episodes to make that transition? Why not see more of him throughout the series to support this evolution of who he has become? (And yet who he has always been because he experiences time differently). It wouldn’t have necessitated ruining the big twists and reveals, especially as the series time jumps so often.

All in all I am really cut up about how they’ve treated one of my favourite ever comic book characters. He deserved so much better. I didn’t like this at all. I’ll watch the finale eventually, but a brilliant series has blown itself to pieces at the end. I’m not sure I’ve ever loved a show so much only to hate the end as much as I loved the rest of it. I couldn’t wait for the DrM reveal, but it was so underwhelming in how he performed when he returned. TBH I even hated how he had the previous guys face still. That was just lazy writing as they didn’t want to cast a new actor.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
cry even more
:lol:

I liked it overall. The Dr Manhattan stuff is the worst of it though, and that's because what do you do with such characters? Same really with Superman. I really don't think it's as clever and deep as some have suggested though, it was all rather predictable by the end. But it was a great watch and I'm happy for it to be a one off and go down as such. I don't for a second buy that it will though.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello

Weren't the frequent references to eggs, including the egg reference in their meeting in the bar, and the implied transference of his powers into the egg, proof enough that he knew his and Angela's fate and had accepted or even welcomed it?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Weren't the frequent references to eggs, including the egg reference in their meeting in the bar, and the implied transference of his powers into the egg, proof enough that he knew his and Angela's fate and had accepted or even welcomed it?
Yes, and that would be fine if his fate wasn't so ridiculous.