Kick-off
Sat, 15 September 2018 @ 5:30pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 71 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
    Telecast Schedule and Info

.... VS.....

Date - Saturday, September 15 2018
    Kickoff Time - 1730 Hrs BST
    Venue - Vicarage Road, Watford

League standings and form guide

10. Manchester United: WLLW

3. Watford: WWWW

Previous Meetings

Manchester United 1—0 Watford

Watford 2—4 Manchester United

Manchester United 2—0 Watford

Watford 3—1 Manchester United

Manchester United 1—0 Watford

All-Time Record

Manchester United wins: 15
    Watford wins: 3
    Draws: 4

Pre-Match Pressers

José Mourinho

Javi Gracia

Team News

Manchester United

Phil Jones, Marcus Rashford, Marcos Rojo and Sergio Romero ruled out. Marouane Fellaini, Luke Shaw, Ander Herrera and Diogo Dalot doubtful.

Watford

Tom Cleverley ruled out. Gerard Deulofeu and Miguel Britos doubtful.

Know the opposition

Watford Football Club (nicknamed The Hornets, The Golden Boys, Yellow Army, and The 'Orns), are a professional football club based in Watford, Hertfordshire. Watford Rovers was formed in 1881 by Henry Groverand, who went on to play for the club as a fullback. Rovers, originally composed entirely of amateur players, held home games at several locations in the town of Watford. The team first competed in the FA Cup in the 1886-87 season, and in 1889 Watford won the County Cup for the first time. Renamed as West Hertfordshire in 1893, Rovers joined the Southern Football League in 1896, and started to pay professional footballers in 1897. West Hertfordshire merged with local rivals Watford St. Mary's in 1898; the merged team was named Watford Football Club.

After spending almost half century in the lower divisions of The Football League, Watford enjoyed its greatest era of success following Graham Taylor's appointment in 1977, rising from the Fourth Division to the First Division. The team also finished second in the First Division in the 1982/83 season, competed in the UEFA Cup in 1983/ 1984, and reached the 1984 FA Cup Final where they faced Howard Kendall's Everton. Watford's most prominent rivalry is with fellow South-Eastern English club Luton Town, and they have been playing their home games at Vicarage Road since 1922.

Referee

Mike Dean.

Familiar Faces

Craig Cathcart (2005-10) and Tom Cleverley (2000-15)

Last edited by a moderator:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
    Just what we need, a fixture against the champions elect

alsabi

Good thing there's this international break to halt Watford's momentum...

Smores

I'd go for the same side that started today to try and gather some momentum. Will be a tough match.
    Yeah i think Fellaini will be needed to deal with Deeney. Obviously Watford have a bit more quality on the ball than they used to but they still tend to go through him.

el3mel

Tough game and we'll need to be extra careful and very much up to it. They'll be up to it and we need to match this.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
    Not so sure about Lindelof against Deeney.

Kapardin

Haven't checked their form table. Assuming they are anything like last season, we are in for a tough game.

But we will have some momentum going into this and I don't expect them to keep turning us over at their ground. With Liverpool's tough fixtures, we need these 3 points to make up for lost ground.

Trizy

We'll win comfortably. 3-1.

Also feck off international break you fecking cnut. If it's not the WC, we don't care!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
    I'd back Bailey to make Deeney his bitch.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
    Scout
    We're losing this one.

One step forward and two steps back feels like our mantra at the moment.

JK-27

After yesterdays win over Spurs Watford will be feeling super confident at home. I would expect them to have a go, and be physical and look to the Brighton game as an example of how our defenders can be roughed up and played. It's going to be an important game that will define our season I feel.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
    Tough tough game, confidence is high in the Watford camp. Same team as yesterday and we will be alright

MadMike

Tottenham conceded 2 from set pieces, we can't make the same mistake.

I'd pick the same midfield (Fellaini, Matic and Pogba) that adds muscle and height and can help the defence out in those situations. As for the CBs, I don't rate Bailly's aerial ability as any better than Lindelof's and I think the latter has been marginally better recently so I'd persist with him next to Smalling. Rest of the team picks itself really.

I predict Fred (and maybe even Pereira) to make a comeback against either Bern or Wolves.

Irish Jet

Supports
    Anyone but Rashford
    Such a huge game. Soft run of fixtures after this – If we geot a win here I think we can turn our season around pretty quickly.

They’re flying though and will be hugely up for it. Any sort of complacency and this will be another Brighton. I think Fellaini will play the same sort of screening role in front of the CB’s, he’ll be needed vs Gray and Deeney. The idea of them isolating Lindelof is terrifying. They were well worth their win against Spurs – Hopefully they lose a bit of momentum over the break.

2-2 IMO.

SirAF

Ageist
    Tottenham conceded 2 from set pieces, we can't make the same mistake.

I'd pick the same midfield (Fellaini, Matic and Pogba) that adds muscle and height and can help the defence out in those situations. As for the CBs, I don't rate Bailly's aerial ability as any better than Lindelof's and I think the latter has been marginally better recently so I'd persist with him next to Smalling. Rest of the team picks itself really.

I predict Fred (and maybe even Pereira) to make a comeback against either Bern or Wolves.
    Agreed. Let’s hope there are no international injuries!

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
    Tough one to call this.

They'll be really dangerous, especially aerially but will hopefully commit players forward. Can see this ending 2-1 either way.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
    Same team again, Fred has done well in the first few games but Fellaini was excellent against Burnley and we'll need his fight/aerial threat.

Funny thing to say but he's our next best defender aerially after Smalling.

This won't be easy at all though, they're flying right now and have nothing to lose. Beating Spurs and it wasn't a fluke either, so we'll have to be at our best.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
    Scout
    Not so sure about Lindelof against Deeney.
    Think Fellaini will play this game and will play similar role. He will be in the box dealing with aerial ball/Deeney physicality.

3KDré

That is concerning. Deeney loves a battle and Lindelof...doesn't.

Hopefully Bailly makes an appearance off the naughty step soon.
    Deeney recently says Bailly is one of the defenders in the PL he’s wary/scared of.

MadMike

That is concerning. Deeney loves a battle and Lindelof...doesn't.

Hopefully Bailly makes an appearance off the naughty step soon.
    Bailly's definitely strong (and quick) but his aerial ability is quite poor. If anyone should mark Deeney it's Smalling, cause he's better at jumping/heading than all our CBs and he also has 4 inches on Deeney in height. If we put Bailly on Deeney we're likely to be punished the same we we were punished by Spurs for having Jones and then Lindelof on Kane instead of Smalling.

My other concern about Bailly is that quite often he gets wound up by strikers and lashes out with nasty or dangerous challenges that are red-worthy and someone like Deeney will likely try to do that to him. Lindelof is a bit of a wimp, but he's also more rational.

There's no ideal choice here, let's be honest. I'd have two Smallings on the pitch for this one, if I could. I'd take Lindelof for this one, purely because he's been marginally better recently while Bailly looks quite erratic and uncomposed. But as to who would do better on the day, it's anyone's guess.

CallyRed

Haven't checked their form table. Assuming they are anything like last season, we are in for a tough game.

But we will have some momentum going into this and I don't expect them to keep turning us over at their ground. With Liverpool's tough fixtures, we need these 3 points to make up for lost ground.

:lol:

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line

Do you watch much football? They're joint top of the league with 4 wins from 4.

And we beat them last year at their ground.

Yagami

Good post resistant
    I'm not bothered about getting the win. I just want José to continue this more progressive approach we've took in the last two games. Just keep playing this way - regardless of results - and we'll be better for it in the long term. I do think we'll have more wins than not playing this way anyway.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
    Hopefully, they lose momentum during the break. If we played them and they played or play against us the way they did against Tottenham, not a chance it'd be an easy win. They were running around like they were possessed.

Kapardin

Do you watch much football? They're joint top of the league with 4 wins from 4.

And we beat them last year at their ground.
    Honestly haven't been following all the results other than those of the Top 6. Been a bit busy, so I just watched some of those games. Sounds weird, I guess but I don't normally check the league table this early in the season and didn't note they had won all their games.

And I confused our 3-1 defeat in Jose's first season as last season's. Oh dear.:lol:

Fine then. Will be a tough game.

daveoliver91

Glad the international break is coming now, cause they are in a good run and if we were playing next week it would be really challenging. Since we are playing in 15 days aprox, I see us winning this after an ugly match.
    1-2, Fellaini scoring the winner.

Alabaster Codify7

Yeah thnking about it, Bailly needs a recall. Lindelof will end up crying against Watford, they'll target him for 90mins and play dirty.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
    Mourinho finally got his midfield right and we attacked.
    Some saying it was only Burnley. But we dominated even when a man down.
    We will beat Watford and climb up the league.

the last two games were in the right direction.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
    Scout
    We're losing this one.

One step forward and two steps back feels like our mantra at the moment.
    We'll drop points, Watford will be on a high after Spurs and although they didn't look too dangerous in open play (they defended very well against Spurs as well) they'll be dangerous on set pieces. Not sure how many of their players have been called up to the internationals though, they could be well rested ready for us.

haram

I have not seen them play, but judging by their line up it seems like they play without wingers and try to congest the midfield?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Marouane Fellaini image Marouane Fellaini 39% of 668 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 451 ratings.

Score Predictions