Kick-off
Sun, 22 December 2019 @ 2:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
    VS............

Date - Sunday, December 22 2019

Kickoff Time - 1400 Hrs GMT
    Venue - Vicarage Road, Watford

League standings and form guide

6. Manchester United: DDWWD
    20. Watford: LLLDL

Previous Meetings

Manchester United 2—1 Watford

Watford 1—2 Manchester United

Manchester United 1—0 Watford

Watford 2—4 Manchester United

Manchester United 2—0 Watford

All-Time Record

Manchester United wins: 17
    Watford wins: 3
    Draws: 4

Pre-Match Pressers

Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Nigel Pearson

Team News

Manchester United

Eric Bailly, Timothy Fosu-Mensah, Marcos Rojo and Paul Pogba ruled out. Diogo Dalot doubtful.

Watford

José Holebas, Danny Welbeck, Tom Cleverley, Sebastian Prödl and Daryl Janmaat ruled out. Roberto Pereyra and Adam Masina doubtful.

Know the opposition

Watford Football Club (nicknamed The Hornets, The Golden Boys, Yellow Army, and The 'Orns), are a professional football club based in Watford, Hertfordshire. Watford Rovers was formed in 1881 by Henry Groverand, who went on to play for the club as a fullback. Rovers, originally composed entirely of amateur players, held home games at several locations in the town of Watford. The team first competed in the FA Cup in the 1886-87 season, and in 1889 Watford won the County Cup for the first time. Renamed as West Hertfordshire in 1893, Rovers joined the Southern Football League in 1896, and started to pay professional footballers in 1897. West Hertfordshire merged with local rivals Watford St. Mary's in 1898; the merged team was named Watford Football Club.

After spending almost half century in the lower divisions of The Football League, Watford enjoyed its greatest era of success following Graham Taylor's appointment in 1977, rising from the Fourth Division to the First Division. The team also finished second in the First Division in the 1982/83 season, competed in the UEFA Cup in 1983/ 1984, and reached the 1984 FA Cup Final where they faced Howard Kendall's Everton. Watford's most prominent rivalry is with fellow South-Eastern English club Luton Town, and they have been playing their home games at Vicarage Road since 1922.

Referee

Lee Mason.

Familiar Faces

Craig Cathcart (2005-10), Tom Cleverley (2000-15), Danny Welbeck (2001-14) and Ben Foster (2005-10)

Last edited by a moderator:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
    First home game under their new manager, just our luck :rolleyes:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    De Gea
    Wan Bissaka Lindelof Maguire Shaw
    McTominay Fred
    James Lingard Rashford
    Martial​
    Watford have been really bad this year, but also don't think they'll just sit back. So I'd expect a win like against Norwich.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
    Let me make this clear - this is by far the worst team we will face in the premier league. Not only are they bad... but when they don't show up they're really, really really bad. Hopefully, they will come out with a home relegation fighting spirit coupled with a managerial bounce so they actually attack and we can slap them on the break walking away with 3/4-0.

City did them 8-0.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
    Let me make this clear - this is by far the worst team we will face in the premier league. Not only are they bad... but when they don't show up they're really, really really bad. Hopefully, they will come out with a home relegation fighting spirit coupled with a managerial bounce so they actually attack and we can slap them on the break walking away with 3/4-0.

City did them 8-0.
    They played real well against Liverpool last week. I don’t see us winning.

VJ1762

Think we should just sit back and counter. We can't seem to play any other way. We need more points.

Paul_Scholes18

This is the type of game we have struggled in. Hopefully we can beat them. Watfords attack has been terrible so we should keep a clean sheet if De Gea get his act together.

always_hoping

Uniteds last game v Watford (last March in Old Trafford) was the luckiest win Ole's had since becoming United manager. I remember watching Watford v Arsenal this season and Watford had over 30 shots on goal and Arsenal grabbed a lucky draw

Long story short I'll be happy with any sort of win and away win here might somewhat make up for the two silly points dropped at home to Everton. Hopefully Pogba makes the match day squad and gets a few minutes under his belt.

zenith

We seem to be on the wrong end of a lot of managerial bounces these days

OldPop

Normally, we should be able to rest and rotate some players against a team at the bottom of the table, there should be three safe points against Watford.

I wonder how Ole thinks this time and what players he thinks need rest and if he dares to?

I'm a little worried that it might be too much for Maguire and especially Rashford who got to play so much and I see no better opportunity than this match to rest at least one of them.

el3mel

Should be a comfortable and easy win. They're definitely going down this season. Predicting a 1-3 win.

Gerald G

It'll be a tough game especially with their first home game under a new manager. It's a bit unfortunate we played Everton under a new manager and now Watford. They played really well last week vs Liverpool despite the loss.

De Gea
    AWB--Lindelof--Maguire--Shaw
    Fred--McTominay
    James--Lingard--Rashford
    Martial​

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
    This is exactly the kind of match we've been dropping points in this season.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
    Surely we can squeeze an away win out of this. Just score first please.

Alabaster Codify7

I'm not hugely confident of a win, to be honest - Liverpool laboured against them last week, they aren't the total whipping boys they were earlier in the season.

They're pretty big whipping boys now.

------------------------------DDG----------------------------------
    AWB----------Lindelöf--------Maguire------------Shaw
    ------------------McTominay-------Fred---------------------
    ----------------------------Pereira-------------------------------
    James---------------Martial-----------------------Rashford

SUBS - Lingard (Pereira), Greenwood (Martial), Matic (Fred)

Watford 1 - 2 Man United
    Rashford (penalty), Greenwood

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
    De Gea
    Wan Bissaka Lindelof Maguire Williams
    McTominay Fred
    James Lingard Rashford
    Martial​

pascell

I hope Own Goal turns in another performance again, adding to their tally against Villa and Colchester, they've also scored one more than Lingard which is promising.

space

A match where we will drop points in my opinion. The types of games we struggle in

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
    After the draw with Villa, I said the Everton an Burnley (who are nowhere near as good as previous seasons) games plus this one had to be won. Now, anything but a win here against the worse side in the PL should be a sacking for Ole. I'm sure it won't be given the oafs in suits but if we lose I don't think any sane person can claim "the plan" is even beginning to bear fruit. That said, I expect us to win, although I don't it will be by a large margin

MikeKing

Supports
    Bournemouth
    We should go all out for the early goal. Rashford needs to be able to pass the ball to Greenwood for the easy goal, if he can do that then we will win big. If he want to be the hero on his own it will be 1-1. That's my prediction.

DDG
    AWB-Lindelof-Maguire-Williams
    McTominay-Fred
    James-Martial-Rashford
    Greenwood

ash_86

If we get the first goal we win. Else it's going to be a long day

Gator Nate

That post about "Could we get relegated?" lasted way longer than it should, and Watford is a fine example of why. We have a +6 goal differential through 17 matches, with 6 wins, while lowly Watford has a -23 goal differential and only 1 win. Norwich is next to last with a -17 GD and Southamption is in 18th with a -18 GD. Meanwhile, no other team has a double-digit negative GD. Watford is bad on a good day.

Watch them line up 5-5-0 and play us to a 0-0 draw, but...

Whatfor? 0-4 MUFC

SER19

Another new manager side. Third in 4 games.

Like all games, we are as likely to score 2 first and see it out, or lose two nil. Beyond predicting this team, just hoping for a win

RedDevilRoshi

Watching their game against Liverpool at the weekend, they created a number of openings to score only for them to bizarrely mistime/miskick their shots at the crucial point. Was like watching a bunch of part time amateurs.

If they create the same amount of openings as they did against Liverpool then I hope history repeats itself again even though it’s pretty unlikely to be the case.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

4.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 362 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Watford win
  • Draw