Wayne Rooney | 2011/12 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Rooney and Aguero are a class above Tevez and have been the whole time Tevez has been in Europe, IMO.
I just don't agree that Aguero is any better than Tevez personally. I see a lot of people saying it all the time, but I just don't agree on it.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Do you think Aguero's a more talented player, if not a better one?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Do you think Aguero's a more talented player, if not a better one?
Not particularly. I think that they are very similar talent wise, however I rank Tevez higher because of that extra level of workrate he has, as well as the fact that he largely carried City to 3rd place in 2011, when Aguero this year generally performed at his best when the rest of his team were performing well.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Rooney on top form is only behind Messi and Ronaldo and arguably in Xavi/Iniesta bracket. Tevez isn't. When both of them are on their day, the only thing Tevez has to his advantage is workrate - even better than Rooney's.

Chabon

Wayne Rooney is comfortably one of the ten best footballers in the world and anyone who thinks otherwise needs to have a word with themselves.

I came to this thread because they were interviewing an Italian journalist on the radio just now and asked who Italians fear most. It's a stupid question, obviously, but the journo answered it by pointing out that Rooney has absolutely dominated Italian teams in the Champion's League. Just to back this up I went and checked his record, and in his last ten matches against Italian teams Wayne Rooney has scored ten goals, all bar one of which came in knockout ties as well.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Wayne Rooney is comfortably one of the ten best footballers in the world and anyone who thinks otherwise needs to have a word with themselves.

I came to this thread because they were interviewing an Italian journalist on the radio just now and asked who Italians fear most. It's a stupid question, obviously, but the journo answered it by pointing out that Rooney has absolutely dominated Italian teams in the Champion's League. Just to back this up I went and checked his record, and in his last ten matches against Italian teams Wayne Rooney has scored ten goals, all bar one of which came in knockout ties as well.
Bang on

Vibhas

Rooney is fecking class. He has the ability to do far more than most up top.

People are idiots.
This is why i took exception to those 'people' here that suggested Rooney is not good enough to make the Earth squad i.e. 3-4 strikers ARE better than him.

Of course Messi definitely is ahead of him in the striker department.
But I really don't see how there's 2-3 more players you'd take over him there.

For me, he's in the top 5 players in the world, and probably surpassing Xavi soon (Whose 33 soon?).

Not to mention theres hardly a more versatile player than rooney; you need a few top class utility players in your squad, no; that should push him ahead of similarly rated players? I mean, that's why Phil Jones (Who isn't top class yet) made the England squad.

Rediculous that quite a few reds on the cafe 'people' wouldn't have him in their Earth squad.. for me he's a nailed on starter.

Casillas; Cole, Vidic, Silva, Lahm; Xavi, Sweinisteiger; Ronaldo, Messi, Iniesta; Rooney

He's one of the few players whom i watch and think, my, this ones special.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
This is why i took exception to those 'people' here that suggested Rooney is not good enough to make the Earth squad i.e. 3-4 strikers ARE better than him.

For me, he's in the top 5 players in the world, and probably surpassing Xavi soon (Whose 33 soon?).

Not to mention theres hardly a more versatile player than rooney; you need a few top class utility players in your squad, no; that should push him ahead of similarly rated players? I mean, that's why Phil Jones (Who isn't top class yet) made the England squad.

Rediculous that quite a few reds on the cafe 'people' wouldn't have him in their Earth squad.. for me he's a nailed on starter.

Casillas; Cole, Vidic, Silva, Lahm; Xavi, Sweinisteiger; Ronaldo, Messi, Iniesta; Rooney

You, sir, are very much on the money.

Chabon

Wayne Rooney had that season after Ronaldo left in which he often as not played as an out and out number nine, and he scored 34 goals in 42 games. Pretty impressive stuff, even for a CF, and we all know that had he stayed fit we'd have won the title and got the CL final, but he did get injured, ruining our season and resulting in a woeful showing at the World Cup. Then the last few months of 2010 were blighted by injury, tabloid stories, contract bollocks and a world cup hangover.

And then, on January 1st 2011, Wayne Rooney seemed to come back to life, since scoring in the first minute against West Brom he's played almost exclusively as a number ten, completely run our play, and has scored 48 goals in 65 starts. That 48 include away goals in the quarters and semis of the Champions League, five against Chelsea, four against Arsenal, three against City, and two against each of Spurs and Liverpool. Oh, and of course, in the biggest of those 65 matches he did this:

The variety and quality of these 48 goals in a season and a half is astonishing, and that alone would make him one of the best in the world, but goals aren't even the best part of his game. He is an astonishing footballer, and is well on the way to being the greatest to ever play for Manchester United.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

I don't think he's a nailed on starter at all. He certainly is one of the best forwards in the world, but it's not as clearcut as you suggest. I'd have Van Persie, Ibrahimovic and Tevez in the same bracket as him, with arguably more players in there too.

Vibhas

I don't think he's a nailed on starter at all. He certainly is one of the best forwards in the world, but it's not as clearcut as you suggest. I'd have Van Persie, Ibrahimovic and Tevez in the same bracket as him, with arguably more players in there too.
I see where you're coming from. Definitely.

But I simply cannot understand those who wouldn't have him in the top 3-4 forwards in the world.

Cannot.

Plus, I don't see Tevez being close at all.

Whereas they may be in the same bracket, I know which lad i'd rather have.

The difference is obvious when you see them play. Van Persie for example, is far more limited in building up the play compared to Rooney, although RvP is rather good at this.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I see where you're coming from. Definitely.

But I simply cannot understand those who wouldn't have him in the top 3-4 forwards in the world.

Cannot.

Plus, I don't see Tevez being close at all.

Whereas they may be in the same bracket, I know which lad i'd rather have.

The difference is obvious when you see them play. Van Persie for example, is far more limited in building up the play compared to Rooney, although RvP is rather good at this.
Yes, I understand what you mean and I agree to an extent when you say that he's up there. I would personally have him around the top 3/4 forwards in the world myself. I simply don't think it's nailed on that he's the very best in the world like you seem to do.

Him and Tevez, for me, are in the same bracket. I see absolutely nothing to suggest that Rooney is streaks ahead of him personally. The majority who think that only do so out of bias if I'm being brutally honest.

I don't agree that RVP is limited with his all-round game. I think that's a bit of a myth that has developed when he's been forced to lead the line on his own at Arsenal. Give him a strike partner and I think Van Persie would show us just how good an all-round forward he is, as opposed to simply being a limited out and out striker who can only score. Ability wise, Rooney and him are similar with Van Persie edging it for me.

Chabon

Him and Tevez, for me, are in the same bracket. I see absolutely nothing to suggest that Rooney is streaks ahead of him personally. The majority who think that only do so out of bias if I'm being brutally honest.
Complete and utter bollocks, I don't base my opinion that Rooney is leagues ahead of Tevez on 'bias', but on their comparable careers, and also on the small matter of their time spent playing for the same club. If you honestly see 'absolutely nothing' to suggest that Rooney is superior then I suggest you visit an optician.

Brwned

Simply not true, just because people disagree with you they're biased? Ridiculous. Here's plenty of people saying the exact same when he was with us:

I feel that Rooney is much better than Tevez
rooney. honestly, i don't think its that close at all.
Rooney's a far better player.

His overall awareness, decision making and movement are a step above Tevez and set the two apart.
Rooney >> Tevez. Specially the old Rooney. :(
No doubt really.

Rooney is a better player than Tevez by quite a distance.
Not a question for me, Rooney hands down.
Rooney at his best is C. Ronaldo's equal. That is all.
That's just from the first page.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Complete and utter bollocks, I don't base my opinion that Rooney is leagues ahead of Tevez on 'bias', but on their comparable careers, and also on the small matter of their time spent playing for the same club. If you honestly see 'absolutely nothing' to suggest that Rooney is superior then I suggest you visit an optician.
Why compare them on when they were both here though? Since Tevez left, he's turned into twice the player he ever was when he was here. He has started to score a lot more, and in the 2010/2011 season was joint top scorer in the league playing for a relatively defensive City team, while carrying them to a Champions League finish at the same time. Rooney himself has massively improved since the time when Tevez left, so that's a bizarre way to compare two players.

I honestly think we are going to see more of Tevez this season if he stays at Man City. In an attacking team with an ideal strike partner and good midfield to supply for him, he could run riot. I rate him a lot higher than most seem to do personally.

Chabon

There's also the small matter of who Fergie preferred, which was Rooney, by a huge distance.

Rooney himself has massively improved since the time when Tevez left, so that's a bizarre way to compare two players.
Um, no it isn't? They're a similar age, and whilst both were at Manchester United Rooney was much better, and since Tevez left they've both improved, and Rooney remains much better.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Simply not true, just because people disagree with you they're biased? Ridiculous. Here's plenty of people saying the exact same when he was with us:

That's just from the first page.
If anything, you've destroyed your argument by bringing out some of those quotes. Do you expect me to take you seriously when you use someone saying Rooney is Ronaldo's equal when at his best seriously?

You personally aren't giving Tevez enough credit for his game either. He's actually very aware and has good movement. Part of that is what makes him such a nuisance for opposition defenders.

Brwned

The chief being the chief doesn't destroy my argument in any way. It still proves that bias didn't come into it. That was in 2008, fwiw, and no-one expected him to score 40+ goals in every season thereafter. No-one.

acnumber9

The chief being the chief doesn't destroy my argument in any way. It still proves that bias didn't come into it. That was in 2008, fwiw, and no-one expected him to score 40+ goals in every season thereafter. No-one.
Using those quotes doesn't disprove bias as much as you think. Rooney had been at the club a few years so people would've built a fondness for him above that of Tevez. Rooney's the better player, but not by a huge amount for me.

RK

Rooney vs Tevez is a tough one. Tevez is probably the better striker if he's the main man, but Rooney's advantage is that he can play with anyone.

Both cnuts though. Rooney is probably better to have in the dressing room, but I think Tevez is the better goalscorer.

I'd have neither in the 22 if you count Messi and Ronaldo as strikers, supported by RVP and Aguero (not all in the same lineup).

Tomuś

Who would you rather have in your team, for me its Rooney by a large margin. I found that tevez was frustrating in the way he played for man utd.
Rooney, without a shadow of a doubt. Even barring personality.

And Tevez was so overrated while he was here it was bloody painful. He was no better than Berbatov, yet Berba was a 'flop' and Tevez 'bloody brilliant in his own right'.

TheBest

SPNTBP

And Tevez was so overrated while he was here it was bloody painful. He was no better than Berbatov, yet Berba was a 'flop' and Tevez 'bloody brilliant in his own right'.
Leaving aside who is more talented out of berba and tevez, in terms of performance tevez was much better than berba when he was here. Though Rooney obviously IMO is better, although he isn't as good as some people are making him out here. In terms of just performances last year he would do well to even be in top 10.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
True. I think people have forgotten over the past year or so just how good Tevez is, due to the fact that he hasn't always been playing and due to the fact that many people here hate him.

A lot forget just how good he was during the 2010/2011 season, and how he largely carried Man City to 3rd place that year.
He was very good that season, but if you look at his goalscoring record that season it isn't that impressive. He scored 23 goals in 43 games that year, and his best ever was 09/10 where he scored 29 goals in 43 games. Even after he left Wayne has been out scoring him and outperforming tevez, it's not even that close really. Id say it's a close call between Rooney, RVP, aguero and ibra, but every other striker is a class below. Tevez has never even scored over 30 in a season, something Rooney has done twice.

It's ridiculous how our fans feel the need to constantly underrate our own players even though he's widely accepted by most people in the world as one of the best.

Tomuś

Leaving aside who is more talented out of berba and tevez, in terms of performance tevez was much better than berba when he was here. Though Rooney obviously IMO is better, although he isn't as good as some people are making him out here. In terms of just performances last year he would do well to even be in top 10.
No he wasn't. Scored 4 or 5 important late winners, which was the reason he won us over. Apart from that he wasn't great by any means.

gza the genius

The one thing about Rooney that takes him down a bracket for me is his inconsistency. Most of the other top players stay at a somewhat consistent level, but with Rooney that isn't the case. He has the weird habit of somehow losing all semblance of a footballer after any sort of break from playing, he somehow loses all of his footballing abilities, especially his first touch.

TheBest

SPNTBP
No he wasn't. Scored 4 or 5 important late winners, which was the reason he won us over. Apart from that he wasn't great by any means.
I'm sure there was more to his performances than just late goals.

Tomuś

The one thing about Rooney that takes him down a bracket for me is his inconsistency. Most of the other top players stay at a somewhat consistent level, but with Rooney that isn't the case. He has the weird habit of somehow losing all semblance of a footballer after any sort of break from playing, he somehow loses all of his footballing abilities, especially his first touch.
Bang on. It's a shame, because when on fire he is only inferior to Messi and Ronaldo.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Which just further derails your argument yourself. As much as Rooney has improved beyond belief since then, so has Tevez. This was a man back then who was only just beating 10 league goals a season when he was at West Ham and Man United. He's improved beyond belief since then.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
He was very good that season, but if you look at his goalscoring record that season it isn't that impressive. He scored 23 goals in 43 games that year, and his best ever was 09/10 where he scored 29 goals in 43 games. Even after he left Wayne has been out scoring him and outperforming tevez, it's not even that close really. Id say it's a close call between Rooney, RVP, aguero and ibra, but every other striker is a class below. Tevez has never even scored over 30 in a season, something Rooney has done twice.

It's ridiculous how our fans feel the need to constantly underrate our own players even though he's widely accepted by most people in the world as one of the best.
23 goals and 29 goals in two seasons are very impressive for a team that was just making it into the Champions League placings, and were playing under a defensive minded manager. Like Rooney actually, Tevez offers a lot more than goals and his workrate was invaluable to that side. He really was the heartbeat of the team, and he was the one who kept them ticking.

It's not a case of me underrating Rooney at all by the way. I'm admitting that he's as good as a lot of people in this thread are saying. I agree that he's a world class forward and one of the best in the world like a lot of people believe. The only ones I disagree with are the ones who bizarrely seem to think that he's streaks ahead of all other strikers on the planet, when he clearly isn't.

Cold_Boy

Rooney has more to his game.

Also I read the Chinese are preparing to lure Rooney by making him the best paid in the world.:lol:

And also looking at Messi and Ronaldo.:lol:

Yeah right, this will happen.

Treble

Since his arrival in England Tevez has played six seasons in the Prem and has made the PFA team of the season only once (even Berbatov made it twice). In half of those seasons he was poor/average.

Even though City built the team around him and he took the pens, he failed to outscore Berbatov last season, despite the fact that the latter started only 24 games.

Tevez is a very good player but let's not overrate him. Rooney's the better player.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
How many strikers in the world can score 30+ goals a season while still being the main creator in the team?

Pretty amazing really.

The versatility Rooney has on the pitch is incredible.

Treble

How many strikers in the world can score 30+ goals a season while still being the main creator in the team?

Pretty amazing really.

The versatility Rooney has on the pitch is incredible.
In terms of creativity Rooney wasn't particularly great last season. Calling him the main creator is a bit of a stretch.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin

Tevez did score heaps of goals in big games though. This and his workrate made him a fan favourite and rightfully so.

I really did rate him in his time here but looking back Tevez did miss quite a few chances and would pop up with a big goal after being quiet all game many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.