Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisG11

Well there's obviously a lot of other positives there, mainly his goalscoring, work rate and movement into the box, but his first touch is, more often than not, turning away towards one of the touchlines. You watch Mata and he simply has so much more flair and nous when in the centre of the park.

Wayne is a striker, and a bloody good one. But in all honesty, I do think he's going to have to adapt hugely this season, and the left forward role Hodgson attempted with him may be a possibility. I think he'd score plenty with his movement.
Actually, if you looked at heat maps of where Mata usually is in possession; you'd find that he often drifts out to the right wing and picks the ball up in deeper areas. Basically due to not being too comfortable in receiving the ball in tight spaces higher up the field; he's at his happiest when receiving the ball on the half turn nearer the touchline or in deeper areas where he has slightly more time to play. Kagawa actually impresses me a lot more in central areas with regards to receiving the ball; he finds space well and often is able to turn and get his body in front of a backtracking midfielder, allowing him to run more directly at defences.

I don't think Rooney will have many issues this season. His poor touches and lackadaisical passing usually comes when he's unfit, and i can't see Van Gaal expecting anything less than fit. Of course, that could go one of two ways, but i'm of the opinion that Rooney will actually thrive under the challenge of Van Gaal's system rather than loathe it. It also has to be considered that Van Gaal has expressed how he'll want us to win the ball back quickly and effectively - something that Rooney is more suited to than the likes of Mata.

Status
Not open for further replies.