Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

finneh

He hasn't. 09/10 was the first time he played as a proper center forward through the season and scored 34 goals. All the seasons before that he was never a true center forward in the way Falcao, Cavani or Lewandowski are. And Rooney actually scored more than both Lewa and Falcao last season.

Rooney given the service will bang in the goals, there's no doubt about that
I disagree. Rooney played 40-55 games a season during that period and barring injury was the number 1 forward (barring injury etc).

Remember that before last season the accepted fact was that Rooney couldn't score when not playing well and as we all know Rooney isnt massively consistent. One season (in my opinion) doesn't change that.

As I said I believe Hernandez at Chelsea would be a scarier proposition, given their setup in my opinion.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
I'm confused, did the 5 pages of mass hysteria really start because some Chelsea fan who wums a lot around the forum said his "sources" told him we'd be selling to Chelsea for 40m, really? :confused:
There's been 100+ pages of hysteria in the past couple weeks alone!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Those quoted posts of Chabon are embarrassing. Get a grip. Our standing in the game isn't going to fall if we sell Rooney. And well definitely manage to get close to Chelsea irrespective.

Siorac

I'm confused, did these past 5 pages of mass hysteria really start because some Chelsea fan who wums a lot around the forum said his "sources" told him we'd be selling to Chelsea for 40m, really? :confused:
The Chelsea rumour is all over the papers. It's one of the potential scenarios and we're discussing it.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Well neither did RvP. Rooney managed 16 despite almost never playing up top. You really don't think he'd have gotten around 10-15 more if he'd been playing as an out and out striker all season?!
You do realise that one of the reasons Rooney didn't play all season let alone up top was himself, right?

Chabon

Those quoted posts of Chabon are embarrassing. Get a grip. Our standing in the game isn't going to fall if we sell Rooney.
If we sell him to Chelsea it will, because it will make us yet another club which can be stripped of its best players by oligarchs. It's a precedent, just like when Liverpool and Arsenal did it for the first time.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I disagree. Rooney played 40-55 games a season during that period and barring injury was the number 1 forward (barring injury etc).

Remember that before last season the accepted fact was that Rooney couldn't score when not playing well and as we all know Rooney isnt massively consistent. One season (in my opinion) doesn't change that.

As I said I believe Hernandez at Chelsea would be a scarier proposition, given their setup in my opinion.
Well I see no point in arguing that any further. If you think Rooney played as a proper Center forward for all those years in the same mould as Lewandowski and Falcao do for their clubs then well you need to and back and watch some of the games from those seasons.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert

All the Chelsea(and Spurs, tbh) fellows I speak to are just dying to get a chance to snatch Hernandez from us, Rooney, not so much.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
If we sell him to Chelsea it will, because it will make us yet another club which can be stripped of its best players by oligarchs. It's a precedent, just like when Liverpool and Arsenal did it for the first time.
We sold Silvestre to our rivals and nothing happened. We'll be fine.

Seveneric

The Chelsea rumour is all over the papers. It's one of the potential scenarios and we're discussing it.
But that rumour has been there for the last week now, what suddenly makes it all more poignant today? :confused:

We sold Silvestre to our rivals and nothing happened. We'll be fine.
Not sure if serious :boring: but what an apples to spaceship comparison

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
People do realise that if he goes to Chelsea we aren't going to start playing with ten men right? And do they also realise how unlikely it is that the player or players that take his place score No goals and have no assists right? Therefore even if he does well at Chelsea where is this disaster coming from?

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
People do realise that if he goes to Chelsea we aren't going to start playing with ten men right? And do they also realise how unlikely it is that the player or players that take his place score No goals and have no assists right? Therefore even if he does well at Chelsea where is this disaster coming from?
I think you are looking at this whole Rooney situation from just a statistical point of view. He is much more than that. We will definitely miss him if he left. The linking up, the playmaking, the free kicks, the corners, the tracking back are just some of the things he does very well.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I think you are looking at this whole Rooney situation from just a statistical point of view. He is much more than that. We will definitely miss him if he left. The linking up, the playmaking, the free kicks, the corners, the tracking back are just some of the things he does very well.
I don't think we'd miss Rooney hugely I just think we'd regret the impact he would have at another team.

Today's performance (up until we decided defending was overrated) showed we can play excellently without Rooney and with players like Hernandez and Van Persie in the ranks we'll never struggle for goals.

The problem is not that selling Rooney would make us much weaker its that it would make the team he joins a lot stronger. If, for example, Rooney goes to play as the number 9 at Chelsea overnight they'd become a much greater threat to us.

We might not drop that many more points without Rooney but other sides would definitely pick up more points if they get Rooney. That's the key for me.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
He has absolutely been the 'heartbeat of the team' for several of the seasons he's been here. It's pretty obvious what it means. Around the mid-naughties he carried us for a season or two, and he gave us much of our oomph in 10/11.

wr8_utd

:'(
I don't think we'd miss Rooney hugely I just think we'd regret the impact he would have at another team.

Today's performance (up until we decided defending was overrated) showed we can play excellently without Rooney and with players like Hernandez and Van Persie in the ranks we'll never struggle for goals.

The problem is not that selling Rooney would make us much weaker its that it would make the team he joins a lot stronger. If, for example, Rooney goes to play as the number 9 at Chelsea undoubtedly they become a much stronger side.

We might not drop that many more points without Rooney but other sides would definitely pick up more points if they get Rooney. That's the key for me.
Stats show that's really not true though. We have a much better record with Rooney than without.

Feed Me

I'm hungry

The problem is not that selling Rooney would make us much weaker its that it would make the team he joins a lot stronger. If, for example, Rooney goes to play as the number 9 at Chelsea overnight they'd become a much greater threat to us.

Summed up nicely.

One all the (understandable) frustration towards Rooney subsides, I'm sure the fans will admit his importance to us, and his potential to strengthen a rival.

Hopefully, he stays.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I can see Moyes doing his best in keeping Rooney. The man would want to win quickly to get some pressure off his back and losing a top player like Wayne, who is in line with the workrate and physicality Moyes teams had always relied on, is certainly not the way to do it. Everything will depend on Rooney. If his demands are too high or he refuse to sign a new contract then he's a goner. He certainly made a very powerful enemy in SAF. The old man is not the manager anymore but he will still be a central figure for the team in terms of advice, both for Moyes and for the money men at OT.

If Rooney leaves then I reckon that Moyes will bring in someone who actually plays in the role Rooney was being groomed for (CM). There's no point in having 2 WC strikers in a lone striker role. Felliani is not Maradona in his prime but in my opinion, he's the man who'll replace Rooney. He knows Moyes tactics well, he is strong and physical. He can play as DM, AM and link man and he's someone our new manager trust. With the extra money gained from the Rooney's sale + the sale of Nani and probably Anderson, I wont be surprised if we end up getting a marquee signing. I am divided between Bale or Ronaldo. The former had been magnificent this season and will add quality on the flank. The latter is older but he's a safer bet + he can cover the striker's role if RVP gets a long term injury

So yes Rowem, Rooney in Felliani out is a realistic possibility.

Zen86

He has absolutely been the 'heartbeat of the team' for several of the seasons he's been here. It's pretty obvious what it means. Around the mid-naughties he carried us for a season or two, and he gave us much of our oomph in 10/11.
Has he still been our heartbeat this season? Or last?

Lailiani

(Sadly not) Banned
I can see Moyes doing his best in keeping Rooney. The man would want to win quickly to get some pressure off his back and losing a top player like Wayne, who is in line with the workrate and physicality Moyes teams had always relied on, is certainly not the way to do it. Everything will depend on Rooney. If his demands are too high or he refuse to sign a new contract then he's a goner. He certainly made a very powerful enemy in SAF. The old man is not the manager anymore but he will still be a central figure for the team in terms of advice, both for Moyes and for the money men at OT.

If Rooney leaves then I reckon that Moyes will bring in someone who actually plays in the role Rooney was being groomed for (CM). There's no point in having 2 WC strikers in a lone striker role. Felliani is not Maradona in his prime but in my opinion, he's the man who'll replace Rooney. He knows Moyes tactics well, he is strong and physical. He can play as DM, AM and link man and he's someone our new manager trust. With the extra money gained from the Rooney's sale + the sale of Nani and probably Anderson, I wont be surprised if we end up getting a marquee signing. I am divided between Bale or Ronaldo. The former had been magnificent this season and will add quality on the flank. The latter is older but he's a safer bet + he can cover the striker's role if RVP gets a long term injury

So yes Rowem, Rooney in Felliani out is a realistic possibility.
Like we have real shot at resigning Ronaldo... Seriously.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
13 goals and 13 assists is a good return for any player, particularly one that has been in and out of the team.
It's more than that, 16 and 15 I thought? Unless you're referring to PL alone, then it probably isjust that. It's the 2nd best Goals and assists in our team, if he were to go we'd need someone with that same effect and record.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I try not to but seeing as how stats are being used to show he should stay its only fair to use the same stats to show how talk of us being considerably weaker is exaggerated. If Hernandez starts as many games next year as Rooney did this I'm certain he would score more than thirteen goals and likewise for kagawa to assist more than 13 is not a huge stretch of the imagination. Granted it would take two players to replace his contribution but the key point is surely that it would have been replaced?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
10/11, wasn't that the year he spent half the season in America after his last transfer request?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Like we have real shot at resigning Ronaldo... Seriously.
I've never said it was going to be easy. However if its true that Ronaldo is fed up of Real then I think we've got a realistic chance of having him back.

wr8_utd

:'(
10/11, wasn't that the year he spent half the season in America after his last transfer request?
Yep Berba carried us during that period but Rooney was absolutely brilliant Jan onwards that season. Won't ever forget his performance at Upton Park that seaosn :drool:

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
13 goals and 13 assists is a good return for any player, particularly one that has been in and out of the team.
In and out of the team partly due to his own failings or issues.

if he were to go we'd need someone with that same effect and record.
Or we could strive for those to come from a better functioning team generally, one player needn't be the only possible route to compensating for that tally next season.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Of course it'd be a huge risk selling Rooney to a Premier league rival, but then there's no guarantee he'll start there in top form.

We can all remember the regular long periods of being in crap form. He had half a year looking terrrible after the world cup.

Would obviously be better to sell abroad if we have to, but can you imagine Rooney dealing with a foreign country? He's more Ian Rush than Gary Lineker in that regard.

Smart money has to be on Moyes convincing him to stay, and Rooney and his team coming out saying he never really thought about going, but was getting frustrated.

Followed by a couple of months of sceptical fans, and then after a few top performances being back to normal

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Or we could strive for those to come from a better functioning team generally, one player needn't be the only possible route to compensating for that tally next season.
He hasn't been a main figure this season, let's be honest. His stats are there, but as a presence he hasn't. RvP has stuck out far more than he has, and him being on the pitch has given us hope attacking wise than anyone else. Who else in our squad can consistently do that, Kagawa? Nani? Welbeck or Hernandez? If they can consistently be a threat going forward week in week out like RvP and Rooney, then I will have more confidence in them. But right now I see the need for a big player to come in and fill Rooney's boots, because if he goes next season I do feel we'll miss those numbers he provides in terms of goals and assists.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
If you're playing as a striker/no.10 for United then goals are pretty much expected. It's his performance levels in general which have been poor for the last season or two. His performance against Villa last season was amongst the worst I've seen. Worse than Bebe vs. Wolves!

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
In and out of the team partly due to his own failings or issues.

37 games 16 goals and 13 assists playing a direct part in a goal 29 times.

He isn't hitting "the heights" maybe, but those are not the numbers of a man out of form.

darko

It all comes down to him inking a new contract or not. I think he has two years left. Now's the time to cut a deal or cut him loose.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
One season, at best. The one he got injured in towards the end. Or are you suggesting he was the heartbeat of the team when he got played in various positions to accommodate and best use a much better player in Ronaldo? He played some of his worst football in the first half of 10/11 due to sulking because he wanted to leave so that ones out.

Status
Not open for further replies.