Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

NextSeason

From the banks of the Irwell, to Sicily..
I support Man Utd. I want us to win every game and I do not care which individual scores once we win. This, however, does not mean I have to follow the crowd. It is human nature to convince oneself that one's own beliefs are correct and others must be wrong. My country is the greatest on earth, my race, my religion, my gender is superior to others who are different. Heck some even thought that their planet, Earth, had to be the most important thing in the universe and even the Sun revolved around it.
Therefore I am not surprised that the English public and especially most Utd fans bought into the feeling that Rooney is one of the greatest footballers in the world and a Utd legend. He is ours so he must be the best. This kind of thinking makes him highly marketable and thus his weaknesses are overlooked and the "intangibles" come into play, work rate, intelligence, leadership by example etc. His records are a façade. As I have said before any very good player consistently playing as an attacker for Utd and England would have as many goals as him. If some of the legends of English football played the number of qualifying matches that he has I am sure they would have more goals eg Charlton and Linneker and they actually performed well in the big international tournaments.
I undertand why most look at him with such awe but I am sorry I just see an above-average footballer with limited technical skill.

"Limited technical skill"?

:lol:

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
The fans that go to OT are some of the best in the world, the fans on here are arguably some of the worst in the world.
Yea ok :lol: been to countless OT games over the years where turds are criticising and laughing Giggs for half the game, turn up and expect to be entertained with a high and mighty attitude, there are bellends everywhere.
No idea why anyone would bring up the OT fanbase persepctive of Rooney as an indication anyway when they've booed him at times between his 2 public fallouts and booed him on the last title winning parade/speech.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
When thinking about Rooney our fans still have the image of a 25 year old Rooney and fail to see that the current Rooney doesn't even come close to any of the top players around the world. Even from our squad we have a few players that are better than Rooney. He did compare to the best 5 years ago but presently his overall game has declined too much. Sir Alex did predict Rooney won't age well and I suspect he would have sold him if Sir Alex remained manager.

I can't understand how so many can continue backing him and leave him free from criticism after games were he does nothing at all to help our cause while pointing fingers at Mata, Blind or any other player.
SAF did want to sell him.

His plan was to get Kagawa and RVP as the striker and number 10.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
"Limited technical skill"?

:lol:
You're linking us goals from very old performances and from recent top performances he rarely has.

I could link you a dozen full matches, not 1 or 2 touches highlighting how bad he can be when he doesn't turn up for a game, just from this season.

You're a case in point of those that still think of Rooney as the 25 year old version.

I love Rooney, I really do. I'm a big fan but when I watch a game I can tell when he's playing well or being below par and the former is becoming less frequent.

NextSeason

From the banks of the Irwell, to Sicily..
You're linking us goals from very old performances and from recent top performances he rarely has.

I could link you a dozen full matches, not 1 or 2 touches highlighting how bad he can be when he doesn't turn up for a game, just from this season.

You're a case in point of those that still think of Rooney as the 25 year old version.

I love Rooney, I really do. I'm a big fan but when I watch a game I can tell when he's playing well or being below par and the former is becoming less frequent.
I agree with most of what you said there but to say he has limited technical ability is just silly. He's amongst the best in the world when it comes to that. How many other players could have scored just one of those goals?

psychdelicblues

I agree with most of what you said there but to say he has limited technical ability is just silly. He's amongst the best in the world when it comes to that. How many other players could have scored just one of those goals?
Is it really that silly though? If you break down the key technical skills like heading, shooting and the long pass to the right, I'm sure Rooney is technically sound, but the other technical skills like a first touch, dribbling, beating a man, picking a slide through pass, ect he is absolutely woeful. Id say even his strong points like shooting from distance has regressed. He may score the odd worldie now and again but not with the same consistency you would expect from some who is rated by his fans as world class.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Even Messi and Ronaldo would struggle to score goals in this current United team.

We just don't create enough chances for the strikers. For me it's been a combination of our midfield players being woefully shite in doing anything other than keeping possession and LVG's horrifically negative tactics.

Until we start playing free flowing attacking football ANY forward is going to suffer.
Lol. They would both score 30 to 40 every season.

markhrad

I know its hard for some to accept that which is clear to objective eyes but does anyone really think he can lead us back to glory? Maybe we all have different opinions on what constitutes technical ability, however, I think a really great player is one who you can just give the ball to and watch him work his magic and save the day. Whether it is him going on a solo run dribbling past a few players and slotting the ball into the goal or setting up a sitter for a team-mate.
When we are losing I do not get the impression that Rooney will come to our rescue with some World Class skill.
If he is too expensive or worth too much with respect to marketing I can see that it would be difficult to get rid of him but it will probably mean 2 or 3 more years of no trophies. I do not see anyone short of Ronaldo or Messi that can come to Utd and supplant him as the main man, Plus, if the Glazers are the kind of owners that I think they are I do not see them giving up the marketing bonanza that would occur as Rooney approaches breaking Charlton's record and even moreso Shearer's prem record.
It all depends on how LVG feels and how much power he really has.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

He has been pretty average the last few games, but i also think it's because he is being told by LvG to keep the defenders busy, Rooney should be involved more in the build-up.

LeftyBlaster

It's a bizarre statement, they arent judging players during the matches, they're signing out loud, and then those fans too after the match, or in the pubs etc discuss about certain things and criticise too. You cant compare these 2 sets of fans, because being United supporter while a game's on, isnt the same as being a United supporters who's discussing.
Precisely the point I was trying to make

nick2004

I know its hard for some to accept that which is clear to objective eyes but does anyone really think he can lead us back to glory?
Yes, I do. And many other people rate him very highly (including Mourinho). He has been our best player in the past 10 years and he will probably remain so for the foreseeable future. Yes, Ronaldo and Messi are better, but in EPL? ... I would not replace Rooney with any other EPL forward.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Yes, I do. And many other people rate him very highly (including Mourinho). He has been our best player in the past 10 years and he will probably remain so for the foreseeable future. Yes, Ronaldo and Messi are better, but in EPL? ... I would not replace Rooney with any other EPL forward.
He was not our best player this last season, De Gea was by far.
He was not our best player 2 years ago, that was RvP.
He was not our best player when Ronaldo was here his last 3 seasons.
He was not our best player when Giggs was still in his prime.
I also think Vidic was our best player one season not too long ago.

By my count that leaves maybe 3 seasons where Rooney was our best player. That's a great record and I'll forever admire Rooney in his prime. But please, don't say such silly things like he has been our best player for 10 years. It's just not true.

markhrad

To be fair, Rooney undoubtedly played an important role in our championship seasons but my point is that he was never the main man when we won.
Even after Ronaldo left the 2 seasons that we won were more due to VDS, Nani and Vidic in 10-11 and RVP in 12-13.

Simply put we need a better player to be our main man.

JUPITER

Rooney's a great footballer and we're lucky to have him.

The problem is with him being captain - he isn't a great captain and it doesn't bring out the best in his game AND he shouldn't be undroppable.

I personally still think Rooney with a proper midfield behind him will score 25 goals a season if played as a 9 all season, but if we start seeing the 'midfield experiment' again I think we can forget any silverware for the immediate future.

This team, playing Van Gaal's football...

------------------GK----------------
RB-----Smalling-----Rojo----Shaw
-----Carrick------------Schneiderlin
Mata----------Herrera------Memphis
----------------Rooney--------------

Would challenge any competition it was in.

nick2004

He was not our best player this last season, De Gea was by far.
He was not our best player 2 years ago, that was RvP.
He was not our best player when Ronaldo was here his last 3 seasons.
He was not our best player when Giggs was still in his prime.
I also think Vidic was our best player one season not too long ago.

By my count that leaves maybe 3 seasons where Rooney was our best player. That's a great record and I'll forever admire Rooney in his prime. But please, don't say such silly things like he has been our best player for 10 years. It's just not true.
He has been our best player in the past 10 years taken collectively. No other player has been as important as Rooney for the past 10 consecutive years.

(Plus: Every player had good and bad years with us. Giggs, PVP, Ronaldo, even Vidic. Rooney did not have bad years. Every single year he is among our 3 best players. )

Djemba-Djemba

He has been our best player in the past 10 years taken collectively. No other player has been as important as Rooney for the past 10 consecutive years.

(Plus: Every player had good and bad years with us. Giggs, PVP, Ronaldo, even Vidic. Rooney did not have bad years. Every single year he is among our 3 best players. )
Just off the top of my head he wasn't one of our best 3 players in 07/08 and 12/13. I don't think he was last season either but that would be more debatable.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Those moments happen too often with him in position where a good control would create a good opening. It can so frustrating at times, specially when in certain matches you can see that his touch is just perfect. I don't think there is a player whose touch can go from being great to shit so regularly.

Art Vandelay

Rooney's a great footballer and we're lucky to have him.

The problem is with him being captain - he isn't a great captain and it doesn't bring out the best in his game AND he shouldn't be undroppable.

I personally still think Rooney with a proper midfield behind him will score 25 goals a season if played as a 9 all season, but if we start seeing the 'midfield experiment' again I think we can forget any silverware for the immediate future.

This team, playing Van Gaal's football...

------------------GK----------------
RB-----Smalling-----Rojo----Shaw
-----Carrick------------Schneiderlin
Mata----------Herrera------Memphis
----------------Rooney--------------

Would challenge any competition it was in.
We're Manchester United, we might have had a bad season followed by a mediocre one, but we haven't sunk to the depths of being lucky to have an over the hill striker that can't consistently control a football. He's the lucky one in this scenario.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
SAF did want to sell him.

His plan was to get Kagawa and RVP as the striker and number 10.
Rooney and Kagawa would have been so much better, played consistently, and without van Persie. Throw Welbeck in too, and there was potential for great play.

Zen

Hmm, Rooney with a playmaker behind him, rather than him being the 10.....it's never really happened has it? Or am I missing someone for England or Man Utd? The times with Ander last year come closest or with deeper playmakers in Scholes, Carrick or Giggs, though they were mostly in 2 man midfields with Rooney dropping deeper for someone else.

Although Kagawa's pretty much the only one anyway in his time, I guess they pushed big for Sneijder to try this.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Hmm, Rooney with a playmaker behind him, rather than him being the 10.....it's never really happened has it? Or am I missing someone for England or Man Utd? The times with Ander last year come closest or with deeper playmakers in Scholes, Carrick or Giggs, though they were mostly in 2 man midfields with Rooney dropping deeper for someone else.

Although Kagawa's pretty much the only one anyway in his time, I guess they pushed big for Sneijder to try this.
I think they showed a good understanding very early on. Even in the opening game, away at Everton. He also showed signs of a partnership developing with Welbeck the season before, with some great one-touch goals.
I think perhaps something like Welbeck up top, with Rooney and Kagawa as two second strikers. All of them having a degree of freedom.

van Persie, on the other hand, hadn't played in a partnership for years. He played there for a bit after moving from a wide forward position, I think. But his game changed quite a bit, and the van Persie who took on the main number 9 role for Arsenal was never in a partnership.
His whole approach to playing up front was that of a lone striker.

Last edited:

Hit It

Someone must have said it already but I think we should drop out the 'knockout performance' part in the thread title. It actually makes him sound world class.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
At the time of making, it was tongue in cheek add-on to the title for his "knockout, the performance act" video that circulated over the internet.

The thread is dead in a week or so anyway, 2015/16 Godlike Performances of the Captain coming up.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Rooney preparing for the new season with sleepless night. fecking useless cnut

trololol

Status
Not open for further replies.