5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walters_19_MuFc

I think this would be a nice compromise and if Rooney were to up his work rate it work. He has it in him to do well there because in a 4-3-3 the technique requirements are reduced because the two 8s can share the creative burden.
Ye. Plus he can be the one who does the running off the ball more and get into the box, whilst Herrera glues everything together.

Sylar

TBH he doesnt deserve to start the next match. And he shouldnt be playing in midfield either.

As an impact sub, that would be fine.

Perrick Dubois

I'm glad to see (as I said a while back) him have the maturity to (speculatively, tactically discussed with Van Gaal) let Rashford continue and to come off the bench. I do think he's not risking a big injury before the Euro and I think that suits all parties concerned that he not burn it to hard returning from injury.

Walters_19_MuFc

Looks like Rooney could possibly start tomorrow after reading Van Gaal's comments.

“Changing a winning team is not difficult, you just have to follow your philosophy,” Van Gaal said. “The only difficult part is communicating your decision to the players and making sure they understand the reasoning.”

Mike09

Looks like Rooney could possibly start tomorrow after reading Van Gaal's comments.

“Changing a winning team is not difficult, you just have to follow your philosophy,” Van Gaal said. “The only difficult part is communicating your decision to the players and making sure they understand the reasoning.”
What part from that comment makes you think Rooney could possibly start tomorrow?

Mike09

Changing a winning team is not difficult
I doubt he will start. He should follow his philosophy because Rooney hasn't play for so long. But Rashford needs rest. It's been too much for the 18 years old to play twice every week. So I won't deny the fact that Rooney will start. But for both Rooney's condition himself and our club we shouldn't change it. I will stick with the same starting eleven as long as they are fit and this includes Fellaini.

kundalini

"Yes, I think he shall receive more minutes, but it's always dependent on the game. You cannot say in advance that I give you 20 minutes or something like that. When it's possible, I shall do that because we need Wayne in the team."

Perrick Dubois

That sounds to me like he had a chat with Wayne and said Marcus is playing well lets not disturb that...?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I'm glad to see (as I said a while back) him have the maturity to (speculatively, tactically discussed with Van Gaal) let Rashford continue and to come off the bench. I do think he's not risking a big injury before the Euro and I think that suits all parties concerned that he not burn it to hard returning from injury.
Where did you pick this up?

Now he's mature because he doesn't pick himself in the starting XI immediately after the big layoff.

Perrick Dubois

Where did you pick this up?

Now he's mature because he doesn't pick himself in the starting XI immediately after the big layoff.
From his press conference comments. I made the comment in the "where will Rooney return to" thread and said that it would show maturity on Rooney's behalf to return back into the fold and not treat his position as a knight to the rescue type scenario. From Van Gaal's comments in the press conference it sounds like they may have had a little discussion and agreed that Rashford is on a good run at the moment and letting him continue that. If so then I think it shows maturity.

He's mature if he puts other players form ahead of his own personal ambition. I am not sure what else that would be considered as.

Art Vandelay

From his press conference comments. I made the comment in the "where will Rooney return to" thread and said that it would show maturity on Rooney's behalf to return back into the fold and not treat his position as a knight to the rescue type scenario. From Van Gaal's comments in the press conference it sounds like they may have had a little discussion and agreed that Rashford is on a good run at the moment and letting him continue that. If so then I think it shows maturity.

He's mature if he puts other players form ahead of his own personal ambition. I am not sure what else that would be considered as.
Not being a massive selfish prick? Why is he getting a say on whether or not he's back in the team anyway?

Perrick Dubois

Not being a massive selfish prick? Why is he getting a say on whether or not he's back in the team anyway?
He's the captain and the senior experienced striker.. That doesn't really need spelling out. Van Gaal more than likely picks the team, hence why his comments seemed to indicate that the groupthink was to keep Rashford up front for now.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

He's the captain and the senior experienced striker.. That doesn't really need spelling out. Van Gaal more than likely picks the team, hence why his comments seemed to indicate that the groupthink was to keep Rashford up front for now.
What a load of bollocks. :lol:

First of all, he is just a player, he shouldn't pick who will play ahead of him and when he'll be back in the team. And second, you meant he is showing maturity from these comments maybe:

"He [Rooney] always wants to play,” Van Gaal said. “Yes, I think he shall receive more minutes but it’s always dependable on the game. You cannot say in advance that I give you 20 minutes or something like that. When it’s possible, I shall do that because we need Wayne in the team.”

This is the new low in this thread, Wayne Rooney being praised for his maturity for not picking himself in the first XI ahead of in form striker.

Perrick Dubois

What a load of bollocks. :lol:

First of all, he is just a player, he shouldn't pick who will play ahead of him and when he'll be back in the team. And second, you meant he is showing maturity from these comments maybe:
I've not said he picks the team. Nor did I imply that any comments from Van Gaal meant Rooney has shown maturity. You're arguing a point you've entirely made up by misunderstanding what I meant. I made it perfectly clear I was speculating on Rooney coming off the bench would show that as a captain and someone who has some input into the direction of the team on match day, Van Gaal says it right there "it is dependable on the game". Sounds to me like he's quite happy for Rooney (speculating Rooney in agreement) that he is happy to come off the bench for the good of the team (or Rashford).

Walters_19_MuFc

"Yes, I think he shall receive more minutes, but it's always dependent on the game. You cannot say in advance that I give you 20 minutes or something like that. When it's possible, I shall do that because we need Wayne in the team."
Oh, right. I didn't seem that bit. Guess he won't start then.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
"he always wants to play".

That's an advantage isn't it!

Imagine if "Wayne doesn't fancy playing for a bit, so will just hang around in the background for a bit"

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Will need six months to get back into form. So the earlier the better.

Walters_19_MuFc

I know it's only against Villa, but he's been really good in the first half, in my opinion. Controlled the game. People talk about their hate for him switching play, but against teams that play so narrow and compact, it is needed to create 1v1s. That's exactly how we scored our goal. Great ball to Valencia, which created a 1v1 one, cross and goal. Great play.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
He was pretty invisible at the beginning but got involved later on and did really well. Absolutely no connection between him and Rashford though. He still turns to the right at every opportunity.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
More creativity in midfield than we've had in months. Doing the job we kind of wish Herrera would do I think. And not slowing us down by being up top.

Walters_19_MuFc

More creativity in midfield than we've had in months. Doing the job we kind of wish Herrera would do I think. And not slowing us down by being up top.
Where Herrera struggles is with his switch of play. He can do all the one touch, link up play, but at times, you need to switch play and move teams that are narrow from side to side. Rooney has done that today (normally does in the 10 role). I don't see why Herrera and Rooney can't play together, though. Be a nice blend.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Doesn't look like he's playing #10. Seems to be playing in midfield, thus allowing Mata to come in centrally, where he's looked good, and freeing space up for Valencia.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Where Herrera struggles is with his switch of play. He can do all the one touch, link up play, but at times, you need to switch play and move teams that are narrow from side to side. Rooney has done that today (normally does in the 10 role). I don't see why Herrera and Rooney can't play together, though. Be a nice blend.
That's a good point actually - Herrera would offer more than Mata is today.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Played really well in the first half I thought, sharp touch and passing. Looks tired now though.

Treble

Doesn't mean you can't give praise to a player returning from injury does it?
My comment wasn't about the praise but about the remark that we haven't had so much creativity in midfield in months. Given the quality of the opposition today, such a claim is OTT, obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.