5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spock

I'm surprised by some of the posts that suggest Wayne played well v Villa. On this day I'll give him slack for making his first appearance in two months, but he looked sluggish and uninterested.

Green_Red

Villa are bottom of the league, if you cant look half decent against them you may just give up altogether.

Interesting to see the effort he was putting in in the first half. He must be concerned about his euro spot.

Loublaze

ATLien
Very sluggish. Atrocious first touch. The only thing he can actually do well is the cross field pass to his favorite, Valencia.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Good first half, some nice passes and he seemed all over the pitch.

Tired in the second half and fecked up 2 opportunities with poor touches. Then he went off and we got worse as a whole.

He gets a lot of stick for his passes to the right, but feck me he has pretty much mastered that skill. Scholes was still better though.

I like the position he was in. I think he will be a solid option for Jose to play the Lampard role behind a big, mobile striker.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Was decent against the worst team in the league. The pass out wide leading to the 1st was good. But that moment where Memphis played him a nice pass in space and he managed to take a donkey touch, he has to do better.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I'm surprised by some of the posts that suggest Wayne played well v Villa. On this day I'll give him slack for making his first appearance in two months, but he looked sluggish and uninterested.
I think people now talk him up whenever he has a non-awful game. The guys on the radio were practically creaming themselves and Sky gave him MOTM yesterday.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
He's never won the FA cup. Complete the set in May then dance into a Chinese sunset.

Please.

Smores

I think people now talk him up whenever he has a non-awful game. The guys on the radio were practically creaming themselves and Sky gave him MOTM yesterday.
Sky even had an article on its site straight after the game highlighting his impressive return. Clearly his agent or vested interests are working hard to get him to the euros.

He had a decent first half and was awful in the second. I'm sure we'll continue to see his awful post injury touches for the rest of the season but hey as long as he can do a long ball to the wing eh

Born2Lose

Rooney performed admirably in the 1-0 win against Aston Villa even though his fuller figure earned mocking chants from the away supporters who sang: “Are you Gaby in disguise”, a reference to the Villa club captain who has been ordered to go on a crash diet.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...taking-start-injury-return.html#ixzz464PE0Nqq
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...taking-start-injury-return.html#ixzz464PE0Nqq

At Villa you train with the U-21's. at United you waltz back into the first team. I find it depressing how much our standards have dropped, and the worst thing is that it started under Ferguson.

Perrick Dubois

They are not supposed to be key figures in our team, are not 30 +, and are not on 300 k a week. Do you spot the differences?
Why are they not getting paid 300k a week though?... That is a difference that is often overlooked.

Treble

Why are they not getting paid 300k a week though?... That is a difference that is often overlooked.
Because they were not big stars. In the past.

Let us resign Scholes and pay him 150k a week because 5-6 years ago he was a far better player than Herrera?

Perrick Dubois

Because they were not big stars. In the past.

Let us resign Scholes and pay him 150k a week because 5-6 years ago he was a far better player than Herrera?
Scholes retired ages ago, why would we sign Scholes?..

They aren't getting paid that because they signed for the club for their market value. They weren't (Jones will no doubt progress in a similar fashion wage wise if the club deem it so) signed as young players and collected many years of service to club and country including a prominent position in its hall of fame pending and increased contracted pay through negotiating new deals via longevity of service.

Treble

Scholes retired ages ago, why would we sign Scholes?..

They aren't getting paid that because they signed for the club for their market value. They weren't (Jones will no doubt progress in a similar fashion wage wise if the club deem it so) signed as young players and collected many years of service to club and country including a prominent position in its hall of fame pending and increased contracted pay through negotiating new deals via longevity of service.
I know why they aren't getting paid that. The question is whether Rooney contributes anywhere near to what a 300k a week forward normally contributes. He's beein terrible in the league for over a year now with the exception of 5-6 weeks. His goals to played minutes ratio is far worse than Benteke's and Benteke has been terrible for Liverpool, can't make the bench there.

Imagine that Rooney were now at Liverpool. Would he start there? At least 4 attacking players would be ahead in the pecking order, he would compete with Benteke and Sturridge to make the bench. But he is supposed to be a guaranteed starter at United. That's a receipt for a disaster.

Perrick Dubois

I know why they aren't getting paid that. The question is whether Rooney contributes anywhere near to what a 300k a week forward normally contributes. He's beein terrible in the league for over a year now with the exception of 5-6 weeks. His goals to played minutes ratio is far worse than Benteke's and Benteke has been terrible for Liverpool, can't make the bench there.
It doesn't matter how much he's getting paid because of his longevity of service. Pay isn't negotiated on a week to week form basis, he's getting paid what he was worth to the club as a re-signing at the time of his last contract and the discussion shortens even further considering that it was his second negotiation and is already a prominent figure at the club through that longevity of service and his goal scoring stature and general status for club and country.

Imagine that Rooney were now at Liverpool. Would he start there? At least 4 attacking players would be ahead in the pecking order, he would compete with Benteke and Sturridge to make the bench. But he is supposed to be a guaranteed starter at United. That's a receipt for a disaster.
Yes, of course Rooney would start at Liverpool if he was being paid a massive amount of money. These hypothetical scenarios are also pointless, moaning about his wage is equally pointless. When the time comes the club will review his position on it's tenability if they decide that he's not being paid in accordance with his form and stature within the first team (oops another top scorer for the season honor incoming if Martial doesn't get his finger out) then the club will deem it fit to move him along.

Yelling "he is getting paid 300k a week guys!" all the time doesn't really mean anything. He isn't an import and his contract wasn't negotiated this season.

Treble

It doesn't matter how much he's getting paid because of his longevity of service. Pay isn't negotiated on a week to week form basis, he's getting paid what he was worth to the club as a re-signing at the time of his last contract and the discussion shortens even further considering that it was his second negotiation and is already a prominent figure at the club through that longevity of service and his goal scoring stature and general status for club and country.

Yes, of course Rooney would start at Liverpool if he was being paid a massive amount of money. These hypothetical scenarios are also pointless, moaning about his wage is equally pointless. When the time comes the club will review his position on it's tenability if they decide that he's not being paid in accordance with his form and stature within the first team (oops another top scorer for the season honor incoming if Martial doesn't get his finger out) then the club will deem it fit to move him along.

Yelling "he is getting paid 300k a week guys!" all the time doesn't really mean anything. He isn't an import and his contract wasn't negotiated this season.
He's a waste of money and space. We sold all competition he had and didn't buy top strikers because he has to start (because of his big wages and long contract). That's not a problem at all?

Anyhow, the Liverpool scenario was invoked to demonstrate that he's not what we need in order to compete for the league, the financial aspect is irrelevant within the scenario. The problem is not what he gets from United but what he gives United. It hasn't been enough over the last few years, to put it mildly. 12 goals from open play this season, most of which against some pathetic teams, is precious little. He's the top scorer because the best United forward plays on the wing and because we tried to play him into form for the entire first half of the season in which he scored 2 league goals and contributed to ZERO points in the league.

Last edited:

Dobbs

He signed the contract off the back of a very average/poor season. So that argument doesn't carry much weight.

Treble

Rashford has played 547 min and scored 4 PL goals, contributing direcly to 7 points in the league (3 pts vs Arsenal, 2 pts vs City, and 2 pts vs Villa).

Rooney has played 1972 min, scored 7 goals and contributed directly to 5 points (including the assists, 2 pts vs Swansea, 1 vs Newcastle, 2 vs Liverpool).

So, Rashford played about 1400 min. less than Rooney and still contributed to more league points!

Great stat for the lad but quite damning for Rooney.

Renegade81

Actually find any hype around rooneys performance hilarious. He was maybe slightly industrious with his work rate and got a few tackles in, but besides that we could be a much better team buying someone for that position in the summer. His constant cross field long balls out wide and the time in which he was gifted would not be afforded against most other teams in all honesty. We hardly looked a better team with him fast tracked back in to the squad, and he was alot worse against Middlesboro U21s. I predict we will be pretty much in the same position we are this season with him allocated a place under any circumstance in the squad.

"Rooney takes a lot more time to get back to his best gaining match fitness etc etc" have been talked about for the past few seasons now. Wearing thin is an understatement. Watching him more and more you soon realise what this team could be without him there. Your looking at a handful (his spell after christmas)of games a season where you can say he warranted his place. But is that enough for a club of our stature? Im not sure.

Treble

Another instructive stat:

Rooney's best period was from the start of the year to his injury vs Sunderland in mid February. We won only 8 points in 6 games during this period, roughly 1.33 ppg.

After he got injured, we won 12 points from 6 games, i.e. we averaged 2 ppg.

That's a big difference.

Had we won 2 ppg over the course of the season, we would be on 66 points now.

Ananke

Still baffled why we bother trying to pin down what's wrong with him.

He's just way past it now, simple as :\.

wr8_utd

:'(
Villa are bottom of the league, if you cant look half decent against them you may just give up altogether.

Interesting to see the effort he was putting in in the first half. He must be concerned about his euro spot.
Our entire team managed to not look half decent.

dichinero

Just one game against a relegated Villa and you'd think he put on a masterclass. Woke up this morning to "Wayne is back" "Wayne impresses on return" articles. First half was OK, second have was poor. England and United deserve what they get as continue to over hype Rooney.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Unless injured, Rooney is certain to be selected for Euro 2016 despite performances. So my question is would you rather sacrifice a midfielder, winger or striker for Rooney?

I think it will probably end up being a midfielder, with Rooney playing 10 to allow Kane, Vardy and Sturrdige (not at the same time) to play up front

Spock

Now I'm going to have to watch the game again tonight.

I thought Rooney was poor, maybe a 5 at best, but I always give a player who's just returned from a long layoff some slack to get back into competitive form. I saw his classic (and pointless) cross-pitch passes go straight into touch, horror positioning (next to Smalling at the center circle when we had the ball) and no ability to beat a defender 1v1. He just looked completely out of synch and uninvolved.

There was a 10 minute period in the second half where I was distracted so perhaps I missed some outstanding play that made up for his otherwise sluggish performance.

TheCorkman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Now I'm going to have to watch the game again tonight.

I thought Rooney was poor, maybe a 5 at best, but I always give a player who's just returned from a long layoff some slack to get back into competitive form. I saw his classic (and pointless) cross-pitch passes go straight into touch, horror positioning (next to Smalling at the center circle when we had the ball) and no ability to beat a defender 1v1. He just looked completely out of synch and uninvolved.

There was a 10 minute period in the second half where I was distracted so perhaps I missed some outstanding play that made up for his otherwise sluggish performance.
It was silent domination mate.

Perrick Dubois

He's a waste of money and space. We sold all competition he had and didn't buy top strikers because he has to start (because of his big wages and long contract). That's not a problem at all?
Unfortunately most sensible discussion regarding Rooney always somehow devolves into blurting out silly stinging one liners like "he is a waste of money and space" when it lends absolutely nothing to the discussion. The answer really begins and ends with a player offering over a decade of service and negotiating contracts. He's worth what the club offered on his last signed deal. The club can pretty clearly afford double and triple his wages so to me, it will become a problem when the club decide to get him off the books regardless of form, merit and service. (Not to mention just last season having two-three earners on the same wages and the club were quite happy to jettison those quick smart after a single season of failure. Hence my comment on imports and bought-in players on high wages opposed to long service negotiating a stepped set of contracts).

Van Gaal quite openly admitted he doesn't want competition for his strikers and it was Rooney's versatility that came to the fore last season and this season was hardly an indication of some grand plot to get rid of everyone for the sake of having Rooney as first choice. Any man and his dog can see the guy is not a very good hold up striker and having played that style endlessly this season it was only ever a hiding to nothing.

He signed the contract off the back of a very average/poor season. So that argument doesn't carry much weight.
No he didn't (assuming you mean Ferguson's last season), the argument over his contract renewal also carries a lot of weight. The timing was crucial to the bargaining position of his negotiation as Ferguson had just retired, Chelsea/Jose were in hot pursuit of him and logically speaking there would have been a massive uproar if one of the first things Moyes did was let Rooney leave to a title rival. Considering he had two years left it was a no-brainer to retain him, even if Moyes was generally a bit daft.

Last edited:

BarstoolProphet

So you're telling me Rooney isn't good enough for Southampton/Stoke or West Ham?
If any of those teams were to buy Rooney this summer then that would be suicide for their ambitions. He might be good enough for Stoke but not WH and Southampton if those teams want to build on their current progress.

I've said countless times that he's a United legend but the constant clutching at straws from those defending him is hurting our team enourmously. He's not the only one that need to be let go this summer, but he's the most important one. Fellaini won't receive as much gametime under a sane manager, and the likes of Rojo, Jones and, to some extent, Herrera, are now just fringe players.

clarkydaz

If any of those teams were to buy Rooney this summer then that would be suicide for their ambitions. He might be good enough for Stoke but not WH and Southampton if those teams want to build on their current progress.
Agreed, and people casually say he can go back to Everton. Why would they want him

Silverman

Did anyone see Sky Sports piece saying he was brilliant on his return against Villa? I like Rooney and he has been a good servant for United but he is in decline and I can't stand how the English media think he's still the best thing since sliced bread.

RedDevil@84

Did anyone see Sky Sports piece saying he was brilliant on his return against Villa? I like Rooney and he has been a good servant for United but he is in decline and I can't stand how the English media think he's still the best thing since sliced bread.
There is a clear understanding on that among all English media. Be it Scholes, Rio or Neville commenting, it is never about Rooney.

Man Utd 2:0 Crystal Palace

Baxter

A shite midfielder, nowhere near the best striker at the club. The ridiculous attempts to get in him into the team are just mental.

Status
Not open for further replies.