5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Art Vandelay

No, I am not. Although I did set you up with a delicious opportunity to throw the boot into Rooney with this quote.
I've seen that quote and it was as ridiculous then as it is now. It's just evidence that LVG is far too enamoured with someone that doesn't deserve it.

Every captain having a say in team selection is speculation. I doubt Terry was having much say when he was dropped or when he tried to Mutiny under Cappello.

Perrick Dubois

I've seen that quote and it was as ridiculous then as it is now. It's just evidence that LVG is far too enamoured with someone that doesn't deserve it.

Every captain having a say in team selection is speculation. I doubt Terry was having much say when he was dropped or when he tried to Mutiny under Cappello.
I mean, if the gaff literally telling you how it happens isn't enough, then I have no idea what would be.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I think fans have the right to be sceptical about Wayne Rooney. It's what he represents more than his ability that really annoys me and possibly other fans.

Wayne is quickly becoming the most overrated player in terms of media hype and if the fans don't speak up no one would. He earns more than what the top performers earn and every fan has the right to demand a performance that matches with it, regardless of past history. If Memphis puts in a 4, we should expect a 6 from Rooney if he is truly to carry that "top player" tag. But unfortunately he is not a top player anymore and he is on a decline and has been for years.

This is an issue that can't be easily dealt with because of his new found status and privileges which are unwarranted. Sentiments is what is killing this club and we are too loved up to see it. We are hiding behind past glories and history is meanwhile clubs that don't have either are catching up in football terms; the only way that currently matters.

Wayne Rooney epitomises this silly culture. He is the only player in the league without any competition. Only player in the squad that can walk into the team easily regardless of how long he's been out or how long he's been out of form. And we wonder why the likes of Januzaj and Pereira are faffing about when they know their captain can be sipping pina colada in a bikini at carrington and yet make the starting XI ahead of them, regardless.

The other reason is that for every minute he plays under LvG it further reinforces Wayne Rooney's place in squad next season even though he has been on the decline. What's worse is that the team shall always be built around him. I often wonder what would have become of Liverpool if they decided to give Gerrad the same treatment and build future teams around him cos Rooney is our Gerard. Teams get rid of captains and big players all the time even while at a decent level, Neville, Raul (a bigger legend for Madrid), Ronaldinho, van Bommel all come to mind.

It's time to move on. Out with the old, in with the new. This season is a write off anyway. The future is ahead and should be brighter.
This

Art Vandelay

I mean, if the gaff literally telling you how it happens isn't enough, then I have no idea what would be.
Isn't enough what? My points are:

• It's not maturity to choose to keep Rashford in the team and he doesn't deserve praise for it. It's common sense and he shouldn't have walked straight back in anyway.
  • He shouldn't be picking the team or any of the kitchen staff. Imagine your job depending on some millionaire that struggles with the basics of his own job.
  • Every other captain in the history of football getting that kind of voice in team selection is pure speculation. Apparently Raul could choose the team by going above the managers head but that's not the norm.
  • My main point though was you can't shut someone down as posting "bitter garbage" because they have the opposite opinion while praising Rooney for hypothetically being mature doing something he shouldn't even be doing. He's a player with a vested interest in taking another players place, he shouldn't have a say in team selection. I don't doubt LVG let's him do it, but that's part of our problem. It's not praiseworthy.
  • This wasn't one of my points but I enjoy bullet points so I'm going to put it here anyway. You could argue that if it was Rooney himself who agreed to keep Rashford in then he did it for selfish reasons as it will be easier for him to compete for a midfield slot with Henderson injured than it would be to compete with Kane and Vardy for a place. Pure speculation too, obviously.

Perrick Dubois

Isn't enough what? My points are:

• It's not maturity to choose to keep Rashford in the team and he doesn't deserve praise for it. It's common sense and he shouldn't have walked straight back in anyway.
  • He shouldn't be picking the team or any of the kitchen staff. Imagine your job depending on some millionaire that struggles with the basics of his own job.
  • Every other captain in the history of football getting that kind of voice in team selection is pure speculation. Apparently Raul could choose the team by going above the managers head but that's not the norm.
  • My main point though was you can't shut someone down as posting "bitter garbage" because they have the opposite opinion while praising Rooney for hypothetically being mature doing something he shouldn't even be doing. He's a player with a vested interest in taking another players place, he shouldn't have a say in team selection. I don't doubt LVG let's him do it, but that's part of our problem. It's not praiseworthy.
  • This wasn't one of my points but I enjoy bullet points so I'm going to put it here anyway. You could argue that if it was Rooney himself who agreed to keep Rashford in then he did it for selfish reasons as it will be easier for him to compete for a midfield slot with Henderson injured than it would be to compete with Kane and Vardy for a place. Pure speculation too, obviously.
This is mostly just you speculating verses me speculating (or providing a pretty solid answer to one of your bullet points) so in the end we can agree to disagree it matters not a jot to me. I usually try to be as impartial as possible because any kind of positive patterns of thought and light praise is descended upon with ghoulish petty nit picking similar to this here.

That poster regularly posts bitter garbage. He was in one of the other threads yesterday saying how disgraceful Woodward was because he had to leave to do urgent transfer business at the start of pre-season in the Moyes season to hand Rooney a new deal. Unbeknownst in the bitter haze that he signed the deal in FEB of 2014. Maybe that is why we were so crap that season as we were in pre-season in February.

Calling a bitter garbage post a bitter garbage post is all I have done, I don't see how my opinion on Rooney is related to that.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I know everyone loves to mention that Rooney can only ping it to Valencia but he also played a really good ball into Rashford's path which, unsurprisingly, has been forgotten. If blogger boy did that, everyone would be praising him.
World class strikers are judged harshly on their own high standard, and wayne rooney gots the praise by only a "if only that pass clicks"

There's people calling ronaldo a one trick pony and there's people calling rooney silent terminators...

Internet... Serious business

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
There's this one game where he pings the high cross to right wing and the crowd gasp (because there's nobody there)

Shows he never really think much, he just do that one thing he does best and looks good without even looking whethere valencia is there or not.

Everton 1:2 Man Utd

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I said weeks ago during the debate about Rooney's role for England this summer that I suspect he will start in midfield alongside Dier. LVG is certainly making it easier.

El Zoido

He's never won the FA Cup, he'll want this more than anybody else on the pitch.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Again great play, that's what we need to see from him in there, not mindless crossfield passes.

MDFC Manager

Credit where it's due, he's been excellent tonight. At a standard where he should be fairly regularly.

NoLogo

I have to say he isn't giving me any reason to complain in that central midfield role next to Fellaini. His control looks good and his passing isn't too one dimensional. Maybe LvG can make a good central mid out of hi after all.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Was struggling towards the end of the half, naturally. Can't see him lasting beyond 70 mins.

Cracking first half though. If ever a game was made for him to do well in, this was it and so far he's done it all but score.

Walters_19_MuFc

Continuing where he left off against Palace. Got on the ball, spreaded play brillaintly. His ball to Lingard was terrific. Don't normally see that from our midfielders.

MDFC Manager

Not so good this half. Needs to exert far more control on the game from here he's playing tonight

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He's absolutely disappeared, him and Carrick have no control in the centre whatsoever.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Looks like he wants me to criticise him. I've tuned in around 60th minute and have barely noticed he is playing. I should rewatch the first half.

Status
Not open for further replies.