Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Which is exactly what we should do...
Depends whether that is - A) another chance next season, or B) another chance to impress under the new boss before next season.

Because A) makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. If anyone thinks our current predicament is solely down to LVG's performance during the season, then they're sadly mistaken. Our squad also has big problems (not as big as he made them appear) which is partly the reason for our 15/16 being such a dire league season.

The club has to keep the players the club/the new manager believes can up their game and be relevant next season.

PepsiCola

I'm at a loss people can point fingers at LvG for Rooneys form this season.

The team has been bent over backwards to fit Rooney in this season, where ever possible. I'm sure LvG would play him CB if it mean having his captain on the pitch. No other manager in the world would make allowances for a player as LvG has for Rooney this season. Pointing fingers at LvG for Rooney's poor form is laughable.

The guy was sunday league level at the start of the season, LvG can not be blamed for that. Poor first touch, inability to finish (chances at Wolfsburg away and two away to swansea spring up in my mind straight away. Penalty against Middlesborough etc). There no nice way to put it, the guy was CRAP. Crap as he had been throughout all of 2015 where he was also being shoe horned in anywhere possible. Had a very poor run in central midfield which makes me bamboozled as to why people want him to stay there.

A purple patch, against poor oppositon, in January and some 'not-bad' performances in midfield against crap sides do not vindicate the guy. He has become our Gerrard and needs to be moved on so we can move forward as a club. This was the case in 2013, three years later it still is the case.

It was similar in Moyes' season. Rooney had a good first few months to the season. Funnily enough his form plummeted as soon as he was awarded with his ridiculous contract.

Funnily enough Mata and Herrera are two players I believe would almost definitely do better in a different set up, under a better manager. As are players like Schneiderlin, Lingaard, Depay and a few others. I'd go as far as saying Martial and Rashford would both be much better under a different manager.

LvG has been a joke, his refusal to drop Rooney this season, during the first half, definitely played a large part in why we will not get 4th place this season. I mean should we beat Bournemouth today we'd be equal on points with city - our talisman and captain did not contribute a single point in the first half of the season. For me that's can not be overlooked.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Depends whether that is - A) another chance next season, or B) another chance to impress under the new boss before next season.

Because A) makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. If anyone thinks our current predicament is solely down to LVG's performance during the season, then they're sadly mistaken. Our squad also has big problems (not as big as he made them appear) which is partly the reason for our 15/16 being such a dire league season.

The club has to keep the players the club/the new manager believes can up their game and be relevant next season.
My Answer is A but with a new manager next season which makes the most sense. Of course if Mourinho judges some players not good enough over the summer then then its fine to get rid, but players like Memphis, Schniderlin etc deserve another season to show what they can really do. Its also very diffficult to judge players after only a couple of months of pre season which is all Mourinho will get. Our squad has some holes but its far stronger than people make out and 90% of the issues this year are down to LVGs tactics. 4 signings, Mourinho and we will be back to challenging next year of that im sure.

Last edited:

finneh

Because it is just a collection of votes from fans who are biased to the club, it isn't built on analysis or curbed by a median line in which the data is collected in a controlled manner. I have no real problem with it as a metric to gauge the Caf's opinion on the players as long as certain caveats are attached to it and that it isn't being used to back up definitive arguments to do with the judgement of certain players. There are obvious bias flaws that run through the system.
All fans are equally biased though, so the ratings should still be fair. If we assume everyone is harsh towards our player's because of the poor season we're having, Rooney, Mata, Herrera & Lingard would all suffer. If we assume our fans are generous because they have affection for the team, then they will all be artificially a few points too high.

Unless we are suggesting that a good portion of the forum randomly target and dislike a specific player, despite him contributing significantly. If this is the assertion I'd hugely disagree. If a good portion of fans "dislike" a player it probably stems from poor performances (exacerbated by a poor personality). As an example if De Gea had put in performances similar to Rooney this season he'd also be rated equally poorly, despite him currently being a fan favourite (we'd probably hear numerous comments of how much his head has been turned and how his head isn't with us etc). Likewise Di Maria went from being a forum favourite after his first 10 games to a pantomime villain because of his poor performances.

Rooney has been awful this year; he's been as poor as Lingard in term of technical ability but with the additional problem of a massive lack of pace and movement to boot. Lingard's decision making is shocking, but then so is Rooney's (for example he plays those cross-field passes regardless of whether our winger is man marked by someone a foot taller).

Also I think a lot of our player's have the excuse of LVG's system to blame. However Rooney has been given free range to play almost wherever he chooses, always playing down the middle and almost always playing as a number 9 or number 10. The likes of Mata, Depay, Herrera and Lingard have been moved around to suit Rooney.

Born2Lose

Let's be honest, that he's been moved from 9 to 10, to the wing and now to midfield probably says more than any statistic about how poor he has been.

Minimalist

Let's be honest, that he's been moved from 9 to 10, to the wing and now to midfield probably says more than any statistic about how poor he has been.
Like someone in the thread said before. He's like the kid at football who brought the ball you all plan to play with. Can't exactly put him on the sidelines - got to shove him in somewhere.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Like someone in the thread said before. He's like the kid at football who brought the ball you all plan to play with. Can't exactly put him on the sidelines - got to shove him in somewhere.
haha except hes not the worst player in our team by a longshot

Minimalist

haha except hes not the worst player in our team by a longshot
Perhaps but for the first half of this season he was comfortably the worst performing player in our team and arguably (and rather embarassing for United's reputation) one of the worst performing players in the entire league.

He's been better since Xmas or so but that wasn't really difficult for him to improve. As I've said before, I don't mind him staying as a squad player until his contract runs out but the idea of him continuing to line up in the first XI is just disastrous to United's future. The horse has bolted - he's done.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You think he hasn't been declining since 2011 but it's all managers fault?

Well, Rooney was a bit shit already in Fergie's last season. He had a very good first half of the season under Moyes (more like 2-3 months than an the entire first half of the season but never mind) and poor in the second half of the season. It was the same in LVG's first season: good first half of the season with 8 (!) league goals and then crap second half of the season.

When was the last time when Rooney was good over 5-6 months, let alone over a whole season? 4-5 years ago, I guess. It's not about the managers, it's about Rooney. He's been unable to play consistently well for years. If it was only about LVG, Rooney wouldn't have had such a productive month of football in January. This month alone busts the myth that the reason for his poor performances is the manager.

Besides, it's not exactly true that LVG makes our forwards look worse than they actually are: RVP and Falcao were finished. By contrast, Martial has had a great season, despite being only 20 y.o. and coming from a poorer league. He's scored as many goals as Rooney in the latter's debut season at United in a far less attacking side while playing mostly on the left. And he will probably add a goal or two in the next two games.
It can't be all about managers for Mata Depay and Herrera and not for Rooney. I'm not saying it is or not but all players must get judged with the same rules. Imo Rooney has declined but even with that he's still a better level than Mata Herrera Lingard and Depay.

Art Vandelay

It can't be all about managers for Mata Depay and Herrera and not for Rooney. I'm not saying it is or not but all players must get judged with the same rules. Imo Rooney has declined but even with that he's still a better level than Mata Herrera Lingard and Depay.
Rooney has been poor since before LVG arrived, he's being judged on that. He's also older than the rest of them, expecting him to suddenly stop declining and raise his game in his 30's is asking a bit much of anyone.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He's the only player who got every single precedence he could under every manager and he still hardly outperformed those players. If any of them played as he did in first half of the season they would be sold in January.

Lawman

He's the only player who got every single precedence he could under every manager and he still hardly outperformed those players. If any of them played as he did in first half of the season they would be sold in January.
Mata Herrera have been equally bad at best and Depay has been even worse.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Even if they are they have been(but they haven't been) they are far more promising and younger than him and could be more important than him in the future, where Rooney is obviously past it and worse by every year.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
And have all been dropped because of it, the spud faced chancer plays like crap in the position he insisted pre season he could do so gets shoehorned into someone else's position, THATS why people are pissed off with him and want him gone

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
He is taking the piss tonight, he probably wants to set the record for number of crossfield passes to fullback, if there is one.

Art Vandelay

To be fair he has twice looked to the right and rolled the ball to Smalling instead of floating it to Tony V. Mixing it up and now we dunno what's coming. He's an unpredictable genius.

m1y2

65years old scholes could do what Rooney did today, maybe even better, the game lacks any signs of tempo with Carrick and Rooney, none of them should ever start again for us, the game couldn't be more boring

RyRy11

He's been absolutely stunning tonight! The first time I've said that all season

Eriku

Shown his footballing brain, passing ability and touch on the ball today. I wish I could dream for such performances regularly, but a dead rubber match like this doesn't tell us too much.

DWelbz19

He was really quite good tonight, hope he an keep that up for Wembley and then England.

Status
Not open for further replies.