5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

togg

Big game player. Stepped up in the right moment. Bournemouth were determined to stop him and pressed him all over the pitch but Rooney wasn't bothered and rode the challenges. Tell me, where would be in the table without his inavluable contributions?
He gets generally battered on here which I mainly put down to people not liking as a person more than anything and therefore see every stray pass as a reason to get at him. For me he's been probably the most influential player for United over the last ten years. Of course we have had other players who have come in sporadically and ignited success....but he's been consistently here and no one can say he doesn't work his proverbial ass off for the team, even if he has off days.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
How many other players in the league could put in that performance last night? I'm fed up of coming to this thread and seeing any mistake overblown and any good performance swept under the rug. Rooney has played well in 2016, yes he's had afew poor games but in general he been good and certainly showed that he can grow into the role under a different manager. Last night showed a glimpse of what a top form Rooney could do in misfiled for us next year. I agree that under high press he will need to step it up, but surely when he adjusts to the role that that will be achievable.

The other stupid comment I'm seeing crop up is that he's a striker so will never be able to play CM properly and that we have to buy a proper CM. Football isn't black and white where people can only play one position. Scholes started off as a striker but as he got older he moved from that role and dictated play from deeper, just because Rooney has played upfront doesn't mean he can't adapt to a new role now. That's just people looking through blinkers.

Forget the name, forget the wage, the player that we saw last night (and have seen the last month in my opinion) has the attributes that we are crying out for in CM and I'm sure that he will get another change to show that under Mounrinho.
Er loads?

Rooney had a really good game last night. But for me to claim that he "has all the attributes we have been crying out for in CM" I'd have to see him perform like a quality CM with some sort of consistency. That was one proper performance but it was against Bournemouth. Fellaini has also had top notch performances for us in midfield as has Herrera. So one good pass a match, or one great match, doesn't really say that much.

His issue with him is two fold:

A) If he's going to be a central midfielder for Manchester United, and not a #10, then can he consistently show the engine, accuracy of passing, defensive discipline, positional sense, running power etc. that we need from midfield? The same question goes for all the other under performing players - Herrera, Schweinsteiger, Fellaini and Schneiderlin. It's all well and good playing like Charlie Adam and giving a great highlights pass for people to drool over, when Swansea give you all the time in the world in match with no relevance, but can you step it up against the likes of Noble and co. away at West Ham, or Carzola and co. away at Arsenal. I have my doubts. I personally don't see the defensive nous, engine etc to see him as a CM in games apart from those against poor sides at home. I'd much rather play him as a #10 where he has to display less discipline and control over his game.

B) That he's a starter regardless of form. This has always been the biggest issue with Wayne Rooney. Noone is going to complain if he plays when he's playing like that, and not playing when he serves up the nonsense he did in the first of the season. That is just. That is logical. But our treatment of Rooney is neither of those things and he's clearly got either LVG or the club itself, by the balls.

So yeah, I have no issue with Rooney playing the same role for us that Giggs did the latter part of his career i.e starting when he's playing great and rested/dropped/rotated when he's not. Him "reinventing" himself as a CM is also not out of the question, as Giggs did. But I think we'll be making a mistake if we rely on that.

ZupZup

He's playing well in midfield. A lot of somewhat blinkered people won't give him any credit for it regardless... but thankfully they aren't making the decisions. He'd be the first name on the team sheet for me when I was selecting our midfield at the moment. He has a good game and you hear so many excuses from the opposition being poor to whatever else.

He had a decent game in midfield against Leicester too... but people say he will be useless against a high energy mobile midfield like theirs. Whenever he loses the ball his detractors pounce on it as evidence that he isn't good enough and then make excuses for all of his positive contribution.

The biggest problem we have in midfield at the moment is that we could actually do with some decent midfielders to play alongside Rooney because Schneiderlin and Herrera have not been up to it so far.

Treble

He gets generally battered on here which I mainly put down to people not liking as a person more than anything and therefore see every stray pass as a reason to get at him. For me he's been probably the most influential player for United over the last ten years. Of course we have had other players who have come in sporadically and ignited success....but he's been consistently here and no one can say he doesn't work his proverbial ass off for the team, even if he has off days.
The problem is that the off days have become off months and off half seasons over the last years. He was genunely terrible in the first half of the season, the most impotent main striker that United have ever had. He's finished the season on 8 league goals despite playing many many games as a centre forward. Defoe scored about twice as many as Rooney. Mitrovich scored more for a relegation side. He has declined. It's a delusion that he can be excellent in midfield. He shit himself when he doesn't have acres of space to operate in.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Er loads?

Rooney had a really good game last night. But for me to claim that he "has all the attributes we have been crying out for in CM" I'd have to see him perform like a quality CM with some sort of consistency. That was one proper performance but it was against Bournemouth. Fellaini has also had top notch performances for us in midfield as has Herrera. So one good pass a match, or one great match, doesn't really say that much.

His issue with him is two fold:

A) If he's going to be a central midfielder for Manchester United, and not a #10, then can he consistently show the engine, accuracy of passing, defensive discipline, positional sense, running power etc. that we need from midfield? The same question goes for all the other under performing players - Herrera, Schweinsteiger, Fellaini and Schneiderlin. It's all well and good playing like Charlie Adam and giving a great highlights pass for people to drool over, when Swansea give you all the time in the world in match with no relevance, but can you step it up against the likes of Noble and co. away at West Ham, or Carzola and co. away at Arsenal. I have my doubts. I personally don't see the defensive nous, engine etc to see him as a CM in games apart from those against poor sides at home. I'd much rather play him as a #10 where he has to display less discipline and control over his game.

B) That he's a starter regardless of form. This has always been the biggest issue with Wayne Rooney. Noone is going to complain if he plays when he's playing like that, and not playing when he serves up the nonsense he did in the first of the season. That is just. That is logical. But our treatment of Rooney is neither of those things and he's clearly got either LVG or the club itself, by the balls.

So yeah, I have no issue with Rooney playing the same role for us that Giggs did the latter part of his career i.e starting when he's playing great and rested/dropped/rotated when he's not. Him "reinventing" himself as a CM is also not out of the question, as Giggs did. But I think we'll be making a mistake if we rely on that.
I disagree that loads of midfielders could have put in that showing because his passing was top class, can he do that consistently I don't know but he has it in him to do it which is more than you can say for a lot of players. I agree that he shouldn't be untouchable and I think if Mounrinho comes in that will not be the case. I also don't disagree that he has a lot to prove still but what is can't understand is why people aren't willing to give him the time to try and find top form and reinvent himself in this new role. If he succeeds then we have sorted a whole in this team for the next few years. We still need to make further signings in the middle to provide greater energy and drive with the ball but i thought that was assumed a given. Under Mourinho Rooney will likely play number 10 anyway I assume so you won't have to worry too much but he deserves the praise he's getting from recent showings.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I disagree that loads of midfielders could have put in that showing because his passing was top class, can he do that consistently I don't know but he has it in him to do it which is more than you can say for a lot of players. I agree that he shouldn't be untouchable and I think if Mounrinho comes in that will not be the case. I also don't disagree that he has a lot to prove still but what is can't understand is why people aren't willing to give him the time to try and find top form and reinvent himself in this new role. If he succeeds then we have sorted a whole in this team for the next few years. We still need to make further signings in the middle to provide greater energy and drive with the ball but i thought that was assumed a given. Under Mourinho Rooney will likely play number 10 anyway I assume so you won't have to worry too much but he deserves the praise he's getting from recent showings.
I don't mind giving him time but not as an automatic starter.

If we put all our eggs in the "build the CM around Rooney" basket then there's a good chance it will splatter in our faces just like it did this season with "build the attack around Rooney" basket. He was supposedly going to become this amazing striker this season and LVG foolishly pinned all his hopes on that, and Memphis playing as he did in the Dutch league. Neither happened, and we were lucky we had an 18 year old saving us to an extent.

Same with midfield, for me. Don't pin your hopes on him, and don't build it around him. Keep him in your pool of 4-5 CM's for next season if you want, as someone who is capable of great things on his day, rather than treating like the new savior of the midfield where everything is attuned to making sure he plays. Two different approaches we can take. Both would include Rooney. But one would most likely cost us.

I'm not sure he deserves praise for "recent showings" but definitely for yesterday. He was really good yesterday and credit to him. But one good cross field pass per game isn't really impressive which is what was happening for most of the games prior. I mean, he was the best of rubbish set of CM's against West Ham, who annihilated our defence and midfield, so I'm not sure I can give him that much credit for that one.

iKeano

He barely stood out in a game that was played at pre-season/Soccer-aid pace.
His predictable cross-field ball is as boring now as Steven Gerrard's were when we used to laugh at him.
I fully expect Rooney to be exposed in the Euros.

RooneyLegend

Best match by a united midfielder in eons. Honestly, don't see too many midfielders on the market that can pass the ball like that. I'm sick and tired of this crab like play from midfielders that we see nowadays. They just make it hard to break teams down by doing nothing with the ball that can launch an attack.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Excellent yesterday. Good variety in his passing. The pass to young, was not something he's done enough in the past. He ghosted in well for the goal and he made some good tackles - showing he's still got a decent engine. If he remembers to vary his game and keeps up the work rate then that's fine. This is the first time (regardless of opponent), he's shown himself a good option in midfield. The first time. Nice ball to Valencia for Rashfords goal too.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
He had a good game last night, but it was a played at the pace of pre-season.

I'm tired of him constantly looking to pass the ball out wide, that's pretty much all he does now, even when its not necessary and there are options ahead of him.

iKeano

It's remarkable how many midfielders seem incapable of doing it though.
Incapable, or more economic with it? Blind offers much more going forward with his direct, incisive, cutting passes than Rooney's showboat, floaty passes that hang in the air long enough for any defence to get organised. At least Scholesy used to whizz them across field with pace.
Once in a while is fine Wayne but every. single. time.

Drifter

American
He played well last night and he does seem to accept that next season a midfield role is more likely. But will he just be holding back other options.

Art Vandelay

He played well last night and he does seem to accept that next season a midfield role is more likely. But will he just be holding back other options.
He's not actually accepting it, he's claiming it like he has a right to just dictate where he plays. Will Troy Deeney come back next season and say "I'm a defender now."? Will De Gea suddenly decide he's no longer a keeper? I really think it's absurd that he's getting to do this, "I've been shit here, but I don't want to sit on the bench so I'll play here instead." How many other players get to do that? It's no wonder he can barely be arsed to keep himself fit.

Treble

Rooney was very good last night indeed and some of his passes were of the highest quality. But the problem is that this game was a bit like a pre-season friendly, the opposition was poor.

Depay had a brilliant game vs Midgetland, he absolutely destroyed their defence. But that was Midgetland and in the next games he reverted to his usual underwhelming level this season.

It will be the same with Rooney. He has an eye for a pass and sometimes impresses with his passing. But he needs more space and more time to do it than the truly excellent midfielders. When there is not enough space and time (as it is the case in most games vs quality teams), he loses his ability and looks downright average, e.g. vs W. Ham.

Even though Palace aren't exactly a very good team, he won't look half as good vs them. Here is a prediction. It's up to Rooney to prove it wrong.

Minimalist

He played much better last night - no doubt about that.

But can we please remember the opposition? The tone/intensity of the match? The fact there was feck all pressure on any of our players? That it was the equivalent of a training exercise?

I'd have no problem if he actually did that in big/important matches - but he never does and never will. Same with Carrick quite frankly - looked excellent as well against a poor side but again one of the major weak points in our first XI when we come up against a decent side.

Vilev

Even considering opposition, it was much better than a certain german misfit, who hardly had any good games, maybe apart from the Swansea one against a side than was losing every game back then as well.

Vilev

For all the bad season he has, he still managed more league assists than anyone else in MU. And that's given that he has not played as many minutes as for example Mata and also played as a CF for much of those, not in attacking midfield. He also leads the way with chances created per game. While these numbers do not impress, i'd say it rather shows our overall lack of attacking play. The fact than no one did better kind of a testament to that.
Still this creativity shows he can do different jobs in attack and can be useful in deeper role.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
The biggest problem with having him as a midfielder comes when he has his inevitable pub footballer phase, that will be disastrous in midfield, far more damaging than as a striker, and there is no way his ego will allow him to be benched until it passes.

Winrar

it'd be strange if rooney was not up for this final, since this is the only cup missing in his CV. or I believe it is.

SteveW

Well how very sad is that, he maybe wouldn't be though if Schneiderlin hadn't had the confidence knocked out of him, and Herrera was given a proper chance.
I like both Schneiderlin and Herrera. They're decent players. However I don't agree with making excuses for them. They need to step up and show what they can do. Schneiderlin has been a bit passive this season and Herrera's been really fcking erratic on the ball. They need to earn a regular place by playing well enough. Same goes for Rooney btw

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Score 4 goals on Saturday to equal Sir Bob, and then a glorious departure into the sunset to earn huge money in China...

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
I think getting him more involved with the ball via midfield could see him growing in consistency in his general play to be honest.

Besides, Rooney always puts in decent performances when people start questioning what he offers, or he needs to prove his place in the team. He generally goes shit when the bashing is focused on someone else.

Fer

He had a good 2nd half in the last game. But I'm not sure that he is good enough to be a starter as midfielder next season.

Do you think a midfield of Rooney-Schneiderlin could work?

Scarecrow

Having a week off
15 goals and 6 assists in 40 games is not bad at all, considering almost half of his games were in midfield.

C'est Moi Cantona

I like both Schneiderlin and Herrera. They're decent players. However I don't agree with making excuses for them. They need to step up and show what they can do. Schneiderlin has been a bit passive this season and Herrera's been really fcking erratic on the ball. They need to earn a regular place by playing well enough. Same goes for Rooney btw
It's pretty hard for them when they don't get a proper run of games, LvG clearly doesn't rate them much given his habit of picking Fellaini and Carrick over them, and now Rooney has decided he isn't a striker they have to compete against him too, I just feel like they haven't been given a fair crack of the whip.

If LvG stays I wouldn't blame either of them for pushing for a move away, and if Mourinho comes in then I'm still not sure where it will leave these two, as by all accounts he'll buy a midfielder, and Rooney of course has to play.

Ash_G

15 goals and 6 assists in 40 games is not bad at all, considering almost half of his games were in midfield.
How many of those were against good opposition though? Seem to remember him getting a fair few in the CL qualifiers?

But no on paper it's not bad but it's far from good in the context of us going in to the season with him as our main striker let alone his position as the best paid player in the team and one of the best in the world. If Rooney was just an important player then I'm sure he wouldn't get to much stick but as supposedly our best player it's average at best and really he only played a few games as a deeper midfielder.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Can't deal with a full season (or 3, contract til 2019!) of him tugging around 50yards from goal.
Occasional games if we have to , but not as a regular please.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Decent first half, wish hed cut out the odd miss pass but he looks the most likely to open up the palace defence. That defensive challenge was brilliant tho and saved a goal, he showed more pace than people made it out he has.

Eddy_JukeZ

He's been better in 2016, but he's been terrible the 1st half.

So many loose passes. Like he had too many drinks the night before. How do we have a midfield of Rooney-Carrick-Fellaini after spending that much money? Insane when you think about it.

Devil may care

I thought he was ok in that half in terms of trying to find the right pass amidst a crowded Palace half, but he's sluggish when running and careless at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.