Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Daniel Storey at F365, I salute you.

http://www.football365.com/news/england-blame-game-16-conclusions

Wayne Rooney
England’s captain, leader and biggest on-field culprit. The manner in which Rooney was shoehorned into England’s starting XI whatever the cost was frustrating. The way in which he stayed on against Iceland until the 87th minute was galling. Even if some people thought he was worth 8/10.

Rooney started England’s qualifying campaign as a striker. He moved back into midfield not through any expectation of excellence in the role, but because he was not longer fit-for-purpose as a forward at club level. Having started at the age of 16, the body has gone. The killer instinct is now the killer extinct.

Initially, signs were promising. There were still relevant concerns about Eric Dier being exposed by a central midfielder whose mobility and stamina were on the wane, but against teams who were happy to let England have the ball, Rooney almost thrived. Yet even then it was impossible to tell what type of midfielder Rooney would be. He just sort of ‘was’, there when you looked up at the screen without ever really changing the course of play. Playing 30-yard passes to a full-back is a weirder party trick than that thing your uncle does with his trouser pockets and genitals.

The best captains, just like the best midfielders, spur their team on when it really matters. Against Iceland, Rooney did the opposite. He was monumentally bad, incapable of holding onto the ball and then inaccurate with his passing. To have 91 touches and yet be only England’s eighth-best passer and create one chance is appalling. Rather than put life into England’s play, their captain created a creativity vacuum.

Rooney did not retire from international football after the match, but England’s next manager should make the decision for him. Rooney has been a magnificent player for his country, but that time has now passed. When the dynamism has been lost, so too has Rooney’s England raison d’etre.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You say that but there are quite a few players with contracts like that albeit more common in La Liga.
No, the contracts in Spain determine the price of the players. The club isn't forced to play the player and the players will just see his price tag lowered.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I have always defended Wayne even over the last 2 seasons, i always felt he deserved the extra chances for what he has done at the club and for how long he's been here and have no shame saying he's been one of my favorite United players. But the penny has finally dropped for me, its come to a point where hardcore Rooney fans are defending the indefensible.

He's clearly lost a lot of his physical ability which he relied a lot on and doesn't have the nouse to play in midfield. Yes we will get the odd moment/games where he shows some brilliance (e.g FA cup final) but it's clear he's finished as a top level footballer.

I don't mind him staying at the club but not as a starter. I have a feeling Mourinho will start him for a few months but his decline will be clear and eventually drops him. This could also mean this is Rooney's last season here as i can't see him being happy as a squad player.
Jose will stick with him like he stuck with Ivanovic despite being absolutely terrible for Chelsea last season. But I think he'll eventually grasp that Rooney simply can't hack it, he's not been able to hack it for a few seasons now and that's been clear to see for United fans who watch him week in, week out. The problem is how much damage that will have cost us, alternatively whether Jose will have learnt his mistakes from last season and might act quicker.

Rooneys done though as a player imo. He never really was consistent, he had runs of good form which masked his awful runs of form. I do feel for him yesterday though, all eyes were on him to rescue the situation and he crumbled under the pressure. Shame really that a player like Rooney never really did anything on International level and despite breaking the goal scoring record will imo seen as a failure.

For what its worth, I think he was horribly managed this Tournament. There was no way either him or Wilshere should ever had started any games. You want a motivated Rooney with a point to prove, should have dropped him and have him chomping at the bit for the knockouts.

LeftyBlaster

http://www.football365.com/news/so-who-thought-wayne-rooney-was-810

So who thought Wayne Rooney was 8/10?

Date published: Tuesday 28th June 2016 11:48

Fountains of Wayne
There is only one place to start…and that is with The Sun and their player ratings from England’s humilating defeat to Iceland.

Were you labouring under the illusion that England were utterly sh*t? Did you think that captain Wayne Rooney was particularly sh*t? Did you think that there was a point in the second half when he had entirely forgotten how to play football and was almost a parody of sh*tness?

Certainly, the ‘ICE WALLIES’ headline on the back of The Sun suggests that they know about this sh*tness. They also call it a ‘pathetic failure’ and a ‘Euro horror show’.

Once again, we have to ask: What the f*** are they doing with that Opta data?

Roo beauty
Maybe the answer to the question about what The Sun are doing with that Opta data is ‘giving it to Peter Schmeichel’.

This was the Dane in the Daily Mirror before the game: “I love Rooney in midfield. I’ve said this on many occasions. He could be the key and the difference between success and failure for England, he’s so important. I started to say it two years ago about him going into midfield and the funny thing about Twitter is you can gauge people’s reactions straight away… ‘What the hell are you talking about?!’

“Rooney can play the same role as Paul Scholes used to play, he’s developed the engine to get up and down and is getting better and better. To have someone with his ball skills, his vision in the game, to run the game, he sees stuff that no-one else sees.”

And so do you, big man.

Quality street
‘Rooney became England’s record goalscorer under Hodgson but there is not enough quality around him to make it work,’ writes Neil Ashton in The Sun. Maybe it’s Ashton who ‘uses’ that Opta data?

It’s odd that Ashton is now bemoaning England’s lack of quality because before the tournament when he picked his preferred starting XI and wrote: ‘With this Christmas tree formation, England can win the Euros.’

If I could…
Wayne Rooney gets a very generous 6/10 from the Daily Mirror (using their eyes rather than Opta data) and Simon Mullock writes: ‘Scored his sixth Euros goal from the spot and did what he could.’

DID WHAT HE COULD? Misplaced passes, over-hit crosses, lack of any kind of basic ball control. He could and he did. And that apparently made him England’s best player.

An Irish Red

It's always the same now. He plays terrible; people say he's finished and then his supporters suggest that it's only one game. Then the same arguments happen after the next game. And the next.

The reality is that he's been consistently awful for years now. He's a has-been as a forward and a never will be as a midfielder.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Apparently senior England players thought he was the best no9 in the squad, is it any wonder we do so shit when we have a bunch of idiots with zero intelligence as well as game intelligence.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Apparently senior England players thought he was the best no9 in the squad, is it any wonder we do so shit when we have a bunch of idiots with zero intelligence as well as game intelligence.
Link please?

clarkydaz

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's like clockwork. He's shit upfront, move him to 10. He's shit at 10, move him to midfield. Rinse and repeat.

Minimalist

It's like clockwork. He's shit upfront, move him to 10. He's shit at 10, move him to midfield. Rinse and repeat.
"We could drop him? Could we?!"

"300k lad. Cracking hair transplant too, let's keep thinking..."

"Bit expensive for canteen chef I guess..."

"cnut can't even boil an egg. Made the poor Italian lad pretend it was him..."

"Yeah, 'captain privileges' I know. Wait, how long is it now since he was playing no.9?"

And round we go

Last edited:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
If he can't get in the England team he should be nowhere near our squad. Yes. I said squad.

England has to play with rules. ie They can only pick English players.

We can do whatever the hell we like.

As a midfielder he's currently behind; Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Mata, Herrera, Blind, Carrick. That's without us signing anyone.
As a forward he's behind Martial, Ibra (if signed), Rashford, Mkhi

You've then got Young, Fellaini, Januzaj, Depay, Young, Wilson, Lingard, Pereira, Fosu-Mensah that are going to feature to varying degrees.

I reckon he'll start the season in one of two positions;

As one of the front 3 in a 4-2-3-1
Or one of the front 3 in a 4-3-3

Then slowly see fewer starts as other players just present themselves as better options.

Snafu17

In a way, he's a bit like Giggs at 35+. On his day he can be brilliant anywhere across the front six. When he's bad, he's the worst player on the pitch. Unfortunately the older he gets, the longer are those periods of bad form.

Art Vandelay

In a way, he's a bit like Giggs at 35+. On his day he can be brilliant anywhere across the front six. When he's bad, he's the worst player on the pitch. Unfortunately the older he gets, the longer are those periods of bad form.
When was the last time he had "his day"? He has the occasional decent 45 minutes then fades in the second half. He's nowhere near as useful as Giggs was at 35+.

Snafu17

When was the last time he had "his day"? He has the occasional decent 45 minutes then fades in the second half. He's nowhere near as useful as Giggs was at 35+.
He was really good against Russia if nothing else. And he certainly had a few good to great performances over the course of the season. To suggest he is nowhere as good as Giggs was in his last few seasons is a bit silly. Especially considering the latter one had his fair share of abysmal performances. The difference is one was used as a squad player while the other one is starting pretty much every game.

Art Vandelay

He was really good against Russia if nothing else. And he certainly had a few good to great performances over the course of the season. To suggest he is nowhere as good as Giggs was in his last few seasons is a bit silly. Especially considering the latter one had his fair share of abysmal performances. The difference is one was used as a squad player while the other one is starting pretty much every game.
He was decent against Russia who were the worst team in the tournament and just stood off him letting him do what he wanted. Which still wasn't that much. His performances towards the end of the season were against some of the worst teams in the league, most of which did the exact same thing as Russia and just stood off him. None of those performances were particularly good and they all, bar the cup final, involved him fading completely in the second half.

The bar needs to stop being lowered for him. If it was any other player those performances would have been seen as decent at best.

RedCurry

The only way I would want Rooney to stay is if he takes a huge pay cut and is ready to be a backup striker and an occasional midfield option from the bench when we are totally dominating. But his stock is still high around the world and he should do himself a favor and find a good deal abroad.

LeftyBlaster

He was decent against Russia who were the worst team in the tournament and just stood off him letting him do what he wanted. Which still wasn't that much. His performances towards the end of the season were against some of the worst teams in the league, most of which did the exact same thing as Russia and just stood off him. None of those performances were particularly good and they all, bar the cup final, involved him fading completely in the second half.

The bar needs to stop being lowered for him. If it was any other player those performances would have been seen as decent at best.
If Kagawa played at this level for even a game or two people would be shitting on him so hard their intestines would be flowing out their asses. Rooney has served up this shit 3 seasons at least.

dichinero

The only way I would want Rooney to stay is if he takes a huge pay cut and is ready to be a backup striker and an occasional midfield option from the bench when we are totally dominating. But his stock is still high around the world and he should do himself a favor and find a good deal abroad.

Strikers and Forwards

Zlatan - if it happens
Rasford
Martial
Memphis
Januzaj

Midfielders
McRyan
Herrera
Bastian
Morgan
TFM
Pereira
Blind

Rooney should have to wait in line or pray for a lasange gate MK:II to get any chance

RedCurry

Strikers and Forwards
Zlatan - if it happens
Rasford
Martial
Memphis
Januzaj

Midfielders
McRyan
Herrera
Bastian
Morgan
TFM
Pereira
Blind
Our central strikers are going to be Zlatan and Rashford. Others you listed are all going to mostly compete for wide forward roles. Pereira will also be competing for wider roles. Rooney should be behind Zlatan and Rashford in the pecking order at start the season. Depending on how Rashford does, he may go on to become the top choice or the third choice. More likely to become our first choice in my opinion.

In second striker position we have Zlatan, Rooney, Mata and Fellaini as options. Mata might even leave. There are no clear favorites in terms of effectiveness. Maybe Zlatan could be considered a favorite there but others are about equally effective in different situations even though a lot of fans seem to have clear favorites.

In midfield, Blind(who might be sold as well), Morgan and a new signing will be competing for a single defensive midfielder position. Herrera, Bastian and Rooney will compete for the other more attacking position, neither of whom are fit enough to start for us next season so pick your poison.

In summary Rooney would be my 2nd/3rd choice for any position so he's not a player we can do without, but as a squad player he can fill in a few positions which is not bad.

Art Vandelay

If Kagawa played at this level for even a game or two people would be shitting on him so hard their intestines would be flowing out their asses. Rooney has served up this shit 3 seasons at least.
It's staggering the amount of slack he's given and how far standards are lowered for him. It boggles the mind how he's getting away with it and has done for so long.

dichinero

Our central strikers are going to be Zlatan and Rashford. Others you listed are all going to mostly compete for wide forward roles. Pereira will also be competing for wider roles. Rooney should be behind Zlatan and Rashford in the pecking order at start the season. Depending on how Rashford does, he may go on to become the top choice or the third choice. More likely to become our first choice in my opinion.

In second striker position we have Zlatan, Rooney, Mata and Fellaini as options. Mata might even leave. There are no clear favorites in terms of effectiveness. Maybe Zlatan could be considered a favorite there but others are about equally effective in different situations even though a lot of fans seem to have clear favorites.

In midfield, Blind(who might be sold as well), Morgan and a new signing will be competing for a single defensive midfielder position. Herrera, Bastian and Rooney will compete for the other more attacking position, neither of whom are fit enough to start for us next season so pick your poison.

In summary Rooney would be my 2nd/3rd choice for any position so he's not a player we can do without, but as a squad player he can fill in a few positions which is not bad.
If for some reason Zlatan and Rash get injured, you would have Rooney as next over Martial? If Memphis shows any form like he did at PSV, I'd have him over Rooney. Rooney is done as a CF IMO.

Rooney is way overrated as a #10 IMO. Mhki, Mata and Pereira have better abilities suited for that role.

Rooney is not a CM so I cannot place him above any natural CM at the club.

podurban2

Giggs was a lot better at 35, also never had the "automatic starter" role which is complete lunacy.

RedCurry

If for some reason Zlatan and Rash get injured, you would have Rooney as next over Martial? If Memphis shows any form like he did at PSV, I'd have him over Rooney. Rooney is done as a CF IMO.

Rooney is way overrated as a #10 IMO. Mhki, Mata and Pereira have better abilities suited for that role.

Rooney is not a CM so I cannot place him above any natural CM at the club.
I want Martial to have a settled position in the starting 11 and that should be left forward.

Our midfield is quite mediocre and I wouldn't sweat if Rooney is chosen ahead of anyone currently in our squad except of maybe Morgan who has potential to be very good. Ultimately, we probably need a proper upgrade in midfield.

Red Stone

How much will he be booed next season? Even at away grounds I could imagine it getting pretty bad, since he's now becoming a liability to more than just United.

Old Trafford will probably remain its meek, standing ovation-giving self for quite a while, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.