5.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

manunited1919

If he leaves over the summer, can we leave this thread open?

Where else are we going to go when United play like shit?

Rossa

Don't be so stupid. As if I weren't supporting United before Rooney.

Anyway, are you disagreeing with me that most of Mata and Mkhi's passing were off tonight?
Their passing was off, but a couple of times he was sent through only for him to be easily caught. He is just too slow these days and he doesn't have any attributes that make up for it. He may get a yard on the defender with a clever move, but even a guy like Shawcross will catch him. And he is too weak to shrug them off as well.

First half yesterday was pretty good though.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He seems to fade badly after 60 mins or so. But to be fair to him, he had nothing to work with last night, the service to him was awful. We played with no midfield, he had to drop deep to get a touch of the ball at times

Sir Roi de Muppeterre

Whoever the feck builds a team around this Rooney is a damned fool.

But out of interest, what tactics/team do you play to get Rooney back on track?
Which is why I said no top club would do that. :p

I am no manager but perhaps he can be decent playing free role behind a poacher (Like Chicharito) with pacey wingers in a 4-2-3-1 formation. Good right winger would be essential for those trademark Rooney ping balls.

He will still take bunch of games to get going but he can be a very good player for teams aiming to finish in top 10.

Dobbs

Which is why I said no top club would do that. :p

I am no manager but perhaps he can be decent playing free role behind a poacher (Like Chicharito) with pacey wingers in a 4-2-3-1 formation. Good right winger would be essential for those trademark Rooney ping balls.

He will still take bunch of games to get going but he can be a very good player for teams aiming to finish in top 10.
Said this before but it's only when he leaves people will realise just how badly his game has fallen. He's never a top 10 player.

psychdelicblues

The caf said that Rooney is the worst player in the squad, not even a championship level player, contributes nothing, can only pass to Valencia, we would play better with 10 men than with him in the team, etc. It is not clear if those are still true if he isn’t club captain, paid much less than 300k/week, and didn’t hold the club to ransom twice.

In any case however, his stats don’t seem to support such view, so how was it that such a shite player can have such decent stats compared to his team mates, could it be because of pure luck due to his lucky goals, fake assists, or weak oppositions? We have our own opinions on that, but here are the numbers, for forwards and midfielders only:

We won 16 of the 23 matches with Rooney in the starting lineup, for a win ratio of 70%, below only Mata. Our win ratio without Rooney starting for us is 50% (19 of 38). Rooney started in 13 league matches and 10 non-league matches, and he didn’t pick the matches he played. If we play better without Rooney in the squad like everybody said, then it’s not reflected in the results of the 61 matches that we have played so far.

Rooney is the second highest contributor of goals and assists for us, with less starts than most of the others. The argument for lucky goals and fake assists may be used against his quality, but not his contribution, at least for the goals, as they are counted all the same. Even if we take out half of his assists, the remaining numbers still do not reflect a useless and worst player in the squad.

Another curious thing is that he started in 5 of our 6 highest scoring matches when we scored 4 goals, which were against Fenerbahce, Feyenord, West Ham, Reading and Wigan. The only exception was against Leicester when we scored 3 goals from corners. It seems that playing with 10 men did not hinder us to play well after all.

He may be finished as a top level footballer, he is surely finished with us as Jose doesn’t trust him anymore, he is beyond any doubt finished as a 300k/week player, but one should know the numbers above while saying that he contributes nothing or calling him the worst player in the squad.
Do you do flow charts?.

Sir Roi de Muppeterre

Said this before but it's only when he leaves people will realise just how badly his game has fallen. He's nevkoer a top 10 player.
I didnt say top 10 player. I meant a team aiming to finish in top 10, teams like Southampton and WBA.

His game has definitely fallen. I made my point only because peope are saying he is championship level now. He can still be a good mid table PL player.

Anyways it doesn't matter. He shouldnt be with us next season. Thats for sure.

MoskvaRed

I didnt say top 10 player. I meant a team aiming to finish in top 10, teams like Southampton and WBA.

His game has definitely fallen. I made my point only because peope are saying he is championship level now. He can still be a good mid table PL player.

Anyways it doesn't matter. He shouldnt be with us next season. Thats for sure.
Are there mid-table teams for whom players like the 2017 Rooney are regular starters? For example, would he be in the starting XI for Stoke or West Brom? Even if he sometimes dredges up the odd moment of skill, given his lack of conditioning, I'm not sure most PL teams would want him based on his performances (as opposed to his elevated status in English football).

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I feel really sad about him. Have been bashing him for a few years but I used to worship this guy. Funny enough, I have never held the contract stand offs against him
I was even on his side in 2010. The summer of 2009 was a joke transfer wise.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I feel really sad about him. Have been bashing him for a few years but I used to worship this guy. Funny enough, I have never held the contract stand offs against him
I was even on his side in 2010. The summer of 2009 was a joke transfer wise.
People who hold the contract/leaving threats against Rooney never seem to apply the same thoughts to Keane and others.

Keane was a huge story at the time. 50k a week. Who could forget that, it sounded so outrageous. He didn't question the team's strength, but he certainly made it very clear he'd leave unless he got that contract, and you don't know what threats were made internally.
He'd have gone for free too, whereas at least Rooney would have gone for British record money no doubt.

Djemba-Djemba

I think it's the transfer request, coupled with the fall out with Fergie in 2013 and lets be honest the most important reason so many Utd fans are on his case these days, his incredible decline over the last 3 or 4 years.

Rio pissed a lot of Utd fans off in 2005 with his contract issues but he won most of the fans over with his performances for the next 7 or 8 years. Rooney hasn't done that and that is ultimately the issue I think.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I don't even remember any contract situations with Ferdinand so that says it all, it's not just contract stand offs it's the manor Rooney's came about that and the fact that he hasn't been good enough now for 4 years and had Fergie not gone when he did Rooney most definitely would have

Ixion

If we're 2-0 up or 0-2 down on Wednesday with 10 minutes to go I can see him being thrown on, otherwise that was probably his last game. It was pretty sad seeing him go off knowing that's likely it.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I think it's the transfer request, coupled with the fall out with Fergie in 2013 and lets be honest the most important reason so many Utd fans are on his case these days, his incredible decline over the last 3 or 4 years.

Rio pissed a lot of Utd fans off in 2005 with his contract issues but he won most of the fans over with his performances for the next 7 or 8 years. Rooney hasn't done that and that is ultimately the issue I think.

It's been the entitlement more than anything for me. Claiming he has nothing to prove to anyone followed by claims he just wanted to get his head down and do what ever it takes to earn his spot back, barely a week before he was pictured on international duty 10 pints down. His heads been gone for a long while, his exit is going to liberate this squad.

Sylar

If we're 2-0 up or 0-2 down on Wednesday with 10 minutes to go I can see him being thrown on, otherwise that was probably his last game. It was pretty sad seeing him go off knowing that's likely it.
Pretty much. I dont think he should come on if were chasing goals. And he shouldnt come on if were trying to defend a lead. It should only be a "thank you" type sub, and thats if we have a commanding lead which will require us blowing it badly.

Web of Bissaka

Slowed and break down our attacks many times in the first half, pisses off Pogba once I noticed.

Seems lost in this youthful side.

Still get into scoring positions, but doesn't have the athletic ability anymore to score.

Icemav

Slowed and break down our attacks many times in the first half, pisses off Pogba once I noticed.

Seems lost in this youthful side.

Still get into scoring positions, but doesn't have the athletic ability anymore to score.
Yup. Cant shoot or run anymore.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I was desperate for him to get a goal. His substitution was, for me anyway, pretty emotional.

Despite these past 4-5 years I'll miss him. If he does leave, that is.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
People who hold the contract/leaving threats against Rooney never seem to apply the same thoughts to Keane and others.

Keane was a huge story at the time. 50k a week. Who could forget that, it sounded so outrageous. He didn't question the team's strength, but he certainly made it very clear he'd leave unless he got that contract, and you don't know what threats were made internally.
He'd have gone for free too, whereas at least Rooney would have gone for British record money no doubt.
I've seen this argument a lot when it comes to this topic and I always feel compelled to post a retort.

Keane was always forthcoming. And certain sections of the fans thought we were losing out on some great players because of our wage structure at that time. United were not the best of employers in terms of money at that time. Even Ferguson had to get George Graham to show Martin Edwards his own payslip just to renegotiate a better salary.

Anyway, if that was a send off for Rooney, it was rather fitting that he made way for a 16 year old kid making his debut. Angel Gomes looked tidy, but he didn't look half as good as Wayne Rooney did for Everton on his debut all those years ago.

Zii

What's so odd is how he has lost everything. You watch games like Soccer aid or Charity matches or players closing prem games and yes the players in there are knackered but they usually have one or two redeeming quality. You imagine Giggs just somehow find a way to around someone, Beckham would still be good on dead balls, Ronaldinho has the touch, Owen still somehow scores in the box and some players are still able to pick a pass like Scholes or others still do everything well good clean strikes of the ball but it's just slower. Lampard in his last prem games still finding those goals, he was slow but if he got there he scored or threatened.

But Rooney, Rooney has literally gone, there is nothing there.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I've seen this argument a lot when it comes to this topic and I always feel compelled to post a retort.

Keane was always forthcoming. And certain sections of the fans thought we were losing out on some great players because of our wage structure at that time. United were not the best of employers in terms of money at that time. Even Ferguson had to get George Graham to show Martin Edwards his own payslip just to renegotiate a better salary.

Anyway, if that was a send off for Rooney, it was rather fitting that he made way for a 16 year old kid making his debut. Angel Gomes looked tidy, but he didn't look half as good as Wayne Rooney did for Everton on his debut all those years ago.
It's a tough argument to say Keane was just getting what he deserved and Rooney wasn't.
Both were after top of the pile wages. And both put the threats in.

I'm personally comfortable with both, as United and all clubs are ruthless the other way round, so can't moan

Angel Gomes is just some kid amongst loads on our books. Rooney was a once in a generation talent.
Just as Everton fans hate Rooney as they loved him so much, we hate the level of player he has sunk to due to memories of his amazing ability.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The biggest low will be when he can't get in the Everton team next season and has to either retire or go to America, he should avoid the embarrassment and just do that now

Status
Not open for further replies.