Not open for further replies.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

Wayne Mark Rooney
Oct 24, 1985 (30)
Liverpool

1.76 m

José Mourinho said:
Maybe he's not a striker anymore. Maybe he is not a No 9 anymore but he will never, with me, be a No.6. He will never be 50 metres from the goal. For me he will be a No 9 or a No 10 or a nine-and-a-half, but with me he will never be a No 6 or even a No 8

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Let's hope this thread doesn't last long.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
He's not going anywhere, so I really hope Mourinho can rejuvenate him or, failing that, have the cojones to bench him.

dichinero

Not excited nor confident going into this season. May surprise me but I expect a meh!

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Another season of silent domination :drool:
There was nothing ridiculous about that. Neville was spot on in his analysis (in that case).

I look forward to this. Like with many of our other players that have been crap I want to see how they are under a better manager in Jose.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Two players today did very well in the 10 position today.
Could missing a huge chunk of preseason, work against him?

Adisa

The Times reporting that Mourinho has told him that although he remain captain, his days as an automatic starter are over.

Glanville95

Good, no one should be an automatic starters as that's a demotivator and complacency creeps in. You play on merit and Rooney hasn't been for a while now - to the detriment of the team.

My prediction on Rooney this season is Jose will start him at the start of the season as to not cause friction or disharmony in the dressing room, but as his performances start to slip, he'll be benched. Whether that results in tantrums and leaks to the press about division in the dressing room I'm not sure, but unlike Moyes and LVG, Jose has balls and won't tolerate poor performances.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Whether that results in tantrums and leaks to the press about division in the dressing room I'm not sure, but unlike Moyes and LVG, Jose has balls and won't tolerate poor performances.
I am, and he will whine and moan like a little girl.

m1y2

the sooner Mou realize he's fecking shit the better for our team and our chances in any competition we want to win, his and fellaini's game time could be distributed among our youngsters, most of them already better players..

itso 7

The Times reporting that Mourinho has told him that although he remain captain, his days as an automatic starter are over.
Mourinho has played a blinder this summer and if this is true its surely another feather to his cap.

derace

can we at least wait for a few performances from rooney and not slag him off for nothing already?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Expecting a bit of a renaissance from Wayne this year. He will turn back the clock and surprise many under Jose, but it may not be enough to convince the pitchfork brigade.

Devil may care

Unless Jose is bringing a Lazarus Pit with him then nothing will change, Rooney is in steep decline physically.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Can someone explain why is he always wearing long sleeves? Even during the summer?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I've said all year, but I've been fully behind any Galactico we've been linked with as Rooney needs to be replaced off the field before we contemplate doing it on the pitch.

The way the game is today, it is almost understandable. Getting rid of one of he most marketable footballers in the world is not something done lightly, especially when the image of the club may have been under attack.

If we get the Pogba deal over the line, we have a new face, and importantly, an adidas sponsored one that we can maximise. Nike and other brands often have many contractual clauses that restrict certain usage of image. If I recall correctly, Beckham was not allowed to be in a Nike/United photo with less than 3 players. No solo promos of the kit. Shaw, Blind, Mata and Jones were the only guys doing all of the promo for our adidas kit last year, with Rooney, our most marketable, excluded.

With Pogba, adidas will be living it, he'll be front and centre in everything.

Adisa

Where is he going to play? I can't for the life of me believe we will sign Pogba for £100m only for a Mourinho to put him in a midfield two.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Can someone explain why is he always wearing long sleeves? Even during the summer?
Think he has forearm tattoo's might be a bad thing for sponsors. IMO though he just likes the climacool shirts, they keep you cool and help wick the sweat away.

shamans

For games certain attacking players like wearing long sleeves because they get tackled a lot and it saves against the grass burn etc. Doesn't Messi wear long sleeves too? Even Ronaldo I reckon.

shamans

Expecting a bit of a renaissance from Wayne this year. He will turn back the clock and surprise many under Jose, but it may not be enough to convince the pitchfork brigade.
I agree. I think with a team that's working well he can really start playing well. May be too late though as it seems everyone has turned on him for now.

Kaos

Gary Neville's last season iirc.
Back then we had the luxury of having many leaders such as Rio or Evra who were both automatic starters so it didn't really matter.

Who do we have today as prominent vice captains? An ageing Carrick who'll likely not play very much? Chris Smalling?

dichinero

Back then we had the luxury of having many leaders such as Rio or Evra who were both automatic starters so it didn't really matter.

Who do we have today as prominent vice captains? An ageing Carrick who'll likely not play very much? Chris Smalling?
True
What we lack are leaders and the only players I consider leaders in our squad are Bastian and Zlatan and to a lesser extent Smalling

Kaos

True
What we lack are leaders and the only players I consider leaders in our squad are Bastian and Zlatan and to a lesser extent Smalling
Trouble is Bastian has taken on the Hargreaves mantle of crock city and making Zlatan captain in his first season is somewhat insane. If Mourinho trusts Smalling as a regular fixture in the back 4 then he should just assign it to him.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Maybe he prefers playing in long sleeves?
Think he has forearm tattoo's might be a bad thing for sponsors. IMO though he just likes the climacool shirts, they keep you cool and help wick the sweat away.
For games certain attacking players like wearing long sleeves because they get tackled a lot and it saves against the grass burn etc. Doesn't Messi wear long sleeves too? Even Ronaldo I reckon.
He wears it on training too. Last pictures from training made me ask it.

Devil may care

Where is he going to play? I can't for the life of me believe we will sign Pogba for £100m only for a Mourinho to put him in a midfield two.
It seems crazy but I think that's what will happen.

He will need a rejuvenation of Deadpool levels to even excite me in the slightest!
Hopefully this will be his final season now his last excuse to be around is about to be removed.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
I agree. I think with a team that's working well he can really start playing well. May be too late though as it seems everyone has turned on him for now.
I think it will be challenging for us to reach any kind of objective consensus on Rooney's performances. He'll have much better players around him to occupy the opposition. Anyone can look competent as part of an attack including Zlatan, Martial, Pogba and Mikhi.

dichinero

Trouble is Bastian has taken on the Hargreaves mantle of crock city and making Zlatan captain in his first season is somewhat insane. If Mourinho trusts Smalling as a regular fixture in the back 4 then he should just assign it to him.
I don't see a problem with this. If a manager trusts a player above others to represent him on the pitch and relay tactical instructions and philosophies on the pitch, then it makes sense to appoint him as Captain. Not only does Zlatan stands out as a Mourinho captain, he also stands heads and shoulders above anyone else as a leader. It's like a manager bringing in his own backroom staff, it's not about sentiments but trust.

Adisa

You simply cannot play a player because of his "leadership" qualities. If a captain is out of form, his leadership qualities become hollow. Don't think Mourinho will start him based on that. It will simply come down to whether he plays well or not.

Kaos

I don't see a problem with this. If a manager trusts a player above others to represent him on the pitch and relay tactical instructions and philosophies on the pitch, then it makes sense to appoint him as Captain. Not only does Zlatan stands out as a Mourinho captain, he also stands heads and shoulders above anyone else as a leader. It's like a manager bringing in his own backroom staff, it's not about sentiments but trust.
Its not just that though, a Captain should know the culture of the club relatively well, have already established a rapport with the other players and understands the gravity of things like rivalries and how to handle the usual refs. Zlatan's been here 5 minutes.

dichinero

Its not just that though, a Captain should know the culture of the club relatively well, have already established a rapport with the other players and understands the gravity of things like rivalries and how to handle the usual refs. Zlatan's been here 5 minutes.
I agree about knowing the culture bit is good but it can be overplayed at times. Zlatan is a solid professional with desires to push the boundaries of success. If a player is highly respected, it should not take long for their to be a good rapport between himself and other players provided that they all have the same objective. Zlatan has played for numerous club giants with plenty of egos and players from different cultures but has always commanded the respect of majority of his teammates including the youth players across all the teams. Zlatan has played in more fiery derbies than any current United player and I don't think he will need a memo of the pressure either. As far as handling refs go, I will back any player over Rooney tbf. It won't happen but handing Zlatan the captaincy is a sign of intent and I think the players will adjust. No time for pampering!

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Wouldn't surprise me if Rooney is benched or dropped.

Lampard/Terry - Chelsea legends

Casillas - Real Madrid legend

Mourinho has previous he doesn't care for reputations or ego if you aren't doing it where it matters then you'll be benched or frozen out.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I've said all year, but I've been fully behind any Galactico we've been linked with as Rooney needs to be replaced off the field before we contemplate doing it on the pitch.

The way the game is today, it is almost understandable. Getting rid of one of he most marketable footballers in the world is not something done lightly, especially when the image of the club may have been under attack.

If we get the Pogba deal over the line, we have a new face, and importantly, an adidas sponsored one that we can maximise. Nike and other brands often have many contractual clauses that restrict certain usage of image. If I recall correctly, Beckham was not allowed to be in a Nike/United photo with less than 3 players. No solo promos of the kit. Shaw, Blind, Mata and Jones were the only guys doing all of the promo for our adidas kit last year, with Rooney, our most marketable, excluded.

With Pogba, adidas will be living it, he'll be front and centre in everything.
Zlatan is coming as well. Might only be one season, but if he is successful could be longer. He has a spectacular personality which could put Wayne right in the shadows.

Status
Not open for further replies.