Wayne Rooney | Sacked as Birmingham City Manager

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
How does that make any sense?

DC united are a disaster right now. Maybe Rooney instead of chasing a big club genuinely wants a well rounded managerial experience.
I'm not sure what you mean? The MLS is barely acknowledged over here in any capacity; not being rude or dismissive, but you'd really struggle to find many with any knowledge about the league whatsoever.

Even if he went there and did miraculous things, there'd be no frame of reference and barely any tangibility as opposed to him really making a name for himself getting a barely functional club to play some of the best football in that league, and by extension, the country (even if you added all PL teams to that, he'd be nestled in top 20-35 in the country, but you can remove a host of PL clubs immediately and that gives a more rounded idea of how impressive the football he had them playing actually was).

Some on here may have scoffed if he was given a PL side as his next gig whilst others would be genuinely interests to see what he could do given what he managed with an anti-squad. All that is out of the window if he goes to the MLS for any concerted period of time; he might even have to start again at Championship level to prove he still has it, even.

It's not even a sideways step as it pushes him backward.

He's a very rich man and doesn't have to follow the generic career trajectory path, which is where he gets an 'ah, it's probably for personal reasons' whereas any normal up and coming manager would have more questions asking what the hell kind of career move is that? Than Rooney will ever have.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I'm not sure what you mean? The MLS is barely acknowledged over here in any capacity; not being rude or dismissive, but you'd really struggle to find many with any knowledge about the league whatsoever.

Even if he went there and did miraculous things, there'd be no frame of reference and barely any tangibility as opposed to him really making a name for himself getting a barely functional club to play some of the best football in that league, and by extension, the country (even if you added all PL teams to that, he'd be nestled in top 20-35 in the country, but you can remove a host of PL clubs immediately and that gives a more rounded idea of how impressive the football he had them playing actually was).

Some on here may have scoffed if he was given a PL side as his next gig whilst others would be genuinely interests to see what he could do given what he managed with an anti-squad. All that is out of the window if he goes to the MLS for any concerted period of time; he might even have to start again at Championship level to prove he still has it, even.

It's not even a sideways step as it pushes him backward.

He's a very rich man and doesn't have to follow the generic career trajectory path, which is where he gets an 'ah, it's probably for personal reasons' whereas any normal up and coming manager would have more questions asking what the hell kind of career move is that? Than Rooney will ever have.
To the average British fan the MLS is meaningless but in actual footballing circle it is not. Bob Bradley and Jesse Marsch are too examples of MLS coaches that went onto Europe and Rooney is in a much better position than either of them.

The level of MLS as of late has been very good and he wont have the pressure of a European club where fans turn on him if he stops performing well. He has the chance to really find is managerial identity and perfect it before he gets back to Europe. Premier league clubs will always be there for Rooney.

Instead of jumping straight in like Lampard or Ole (being sheltered in Molde then jumping in to cardiff and subsequently United) Rooney is smart. He is investing in himself more than anything with this move.

Not to mention, DC United are struggling right now. There will be plenty of "fame" and success towards Rooney if he gets them playing better again. Like I said for most people in Europe or UK the MLS is meaningless but its not over here by numbers or the money involved.

In 2-3 years if his credentials include what he did at Derby plus a solid MLS coach (and who knows, maybe an MLS cup) he will be in a much better position than diving in now.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Maybe he's just going there to help out for a few months and taking it as a break while a better job opens up. All the things he went through at Derby must have been exhausting.

Come January, there'll surely be a few Championship sides with jobs available.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
To the average British fan the MLS is meaningless but in actual footballing circle it is not. Bob Bradley and Jesse Marsch are too examples of MLS coaches that went onto Europe and Rooney is in a much better position than either of them.

The level of MLS as of late has been very good and he wont have the pressure of a European club where fans turn on him if he stops performing well. He has the chance to really find is managerial identity and perfect it before he gets back to Europe. Premier league clubs will always be there for Rooney.

Instead of jumping straight in like Lampard or Ole (being sheltered in Molde then jumping in to cardiff and subsequently United) Rooney is smart. He is investing in himself more than anything with this move.

Not to mention, DC United are struggling right now. There will be plenty of "fame" and success towards Rooney if he gets them playing better again. Like I said for most people in Europe or UK the MLS is meaningless but its not over here by numbers or the money involved.

In 2-3 years if his credentials include what he did at Derby plus a solid MLS coach (and who knows, maybe an MLS cup) he will be in a much better position than diving in now.
That's from a US perspective of American coaches branching out via the best means available to them, not a British or even European perspective where you have lower - or foreign - leagues to make waves in before rising up the ranks.

I don't have any axe to grind with the MLS, but it is a really strange diversion for a manager already making waves in the Championship, and ever more impressively, with a club in complete turmoil.

Even if Rooney didn't want to take a leap to the PL before he felt he was ready, he could easily get a job at a PL-contending Championship team such was the impression what he achieved left on the masses here.

Like I said, personal reasons and him being rich meaning he's not doing the managerial lark for anything but love of the game, makes it more understandable, but any kind of footballing reason? There's nothing he can gain during a stint there he couldn't in the Championship, I think, which is why the move has surprised people.

UpWithRivers

Isnt this just a big fk you to his wife and kids? I mean there was leaked txts from her trial with Vardy saying she hated it there and supposedly his kids are settled in the UK so why do it except to say fk you to her or he was desperate and had no better options? I dont get it. why do it. Surely there are other options. Money?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Bob Bradley of "sacked within three months at Swansea" fame? And Jesse "I had to be Rangnick's assistant for a year and coach two years in Austria before anyone gave me a real job, where I couldn't make it till Christmas" Marsch? What are these examples supposed to prove?

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
That's from a US perspective of American coaches branching out via the best means available to them, not a British or even European perspective where you have lower - or foreign - leagues to make waves in before rising up the ranks.

I don't have any axe to grind with the MLS, but it is a really strange diversion for a manager already making waves in the Championship, and ever more impressively, with a club in complete turmoil.

Even if Rooney didn't want to take a leap to the PL before he felt he was ready, he could easily get a job at a PL-contending Championship team such was the impression what he achieved left on the masses here.

Like I said, personal reasons and him being rich meaning he's not doing the managerial lark for anything but love of the game, makes it more understandable, but any kind of footballing reason? There's nothing he can gain during a stint there he couldn't in the Championship, I think, which is why the move has surprised people.

Well I disagree. I mean, it did surprise me and I did think at first "why not just go to a proper club" but the pros I mentioned, he can't get that anywhere. It's like a free learning camp for a few more years. MLS in quality may not even be as good as the championship but the facilities and resources are still top notch so he can make good use of that. It's more personal development in an environment he can experiment some more.

el3mel

Eh, good luck to him. As long as he stays as far away as possible from Man United job please.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Why did he make this choice, he had an upward trajectory but I doubt having managed in mls looks good on the resume.

Think he made the wrong choice of he has higher aspirations.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Why did he make this choice, he had an upward trajectory but I doubt having managed in mls looks good on the resume.

Think he made the wrong choice of he has higher aspirations.
I think it’s a smart move actually. It gives him time to learn as a coach and find his style away from the toxic British media.

He’s so young still as a manager - still in his mid 30s ffs! I think it’s very wise of him to get as much experience as possible.

Maybe a nice trajectory would be something like Derby, MLS, Scottish League and then a PL job.

He could stay 2 seasons in each and arrive in the PL still only 40!

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yeah, a lot of criticism for the move but he's a very young manager. He has 20 years+ to make it to top of management.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I think it’s a smart move actually. It gives him time to learn as a coach and find his style away from the toxic British media.

He’s so young still as a manager - still in his mid 30s ffs! I think it’s very wise of him to get as much experience as possible.

Maybe a nice trajectory would be something like Derby, MLS, Scottish League and then a PL job.

He could stay 2 seasons in each and arrive in the PL still only 40!
I hope so but I don't know, I just consider the the MLS as a bit of a joke but to be fair I don't watch them that lot and it seems they're turning a corner with that Leeds guy Jesse.

All in all I certainly hope he makes it but considering that he's kinda limited to the Anglosphere clubs due to language limitations one misstep could really dampen his rise.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Struggling big time over there.

Rock bottom of the conference, thrashed last week, massive bottom of the table clash against Atlanta coming up.

Fail to win that and they are massively adrift at the bottom.

And I don't think they have scored a goal since Benteke joined!

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Made a mistake coming over here, I just hope it doesn't de rail his career.

Nero

Rock bottom of the conference, thrashed last week, massive bottom of the table clash against Atlanta coming up.

No relegation kind of makes these bottom of the table clashes a bit meaningless.

Champ

No relegation kind of makes these bottom of the table clashes a bit meaningless.
Indeed, however I can't see Rooney wanting to finish bottom of the league.

phelans shorts

The fact Atlanta are in a bottom of the table clash sums it up to me, the MLS table does complete flips so often that I find the positions totally irrelevant.

Champ

The fact Atlanta are in a bottom of the table clash sums it up to me, the MLS table does complete flips so often that I find the positions totally irrelevant.
Atlanta have been on the slide for a while though since De Boer really.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Isnt this just a big fk you to his wife and kids? I mean there was leaked txts from her trial with Vardy saying she hated it there and supposedly his kids are settled in the UK so why do it except to say fk you to her or he was desperate and had no better options? I dont get it. why do it. Surely there are other options. Money?
Maybe to get away from the media circus that surrounded them during the vardy case?
It can’t have been sporting reasons. MLS is where people go to collect money and sunshine before retiring.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He’s making himself available for the United interim manager position.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Don't watch MLS at all so know nothing about how he's been, any residents that can attest for his ability?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Who's hiring a manager with a win rate of 27.5% ? Like Lampard.

Should be a pundit or do something else.

glasgow 21

Even suggesting Rooney as a potential interim or anything else is a disgrace and a joke.

fps

Strikers do tend to struggle as managers more?

Oranges038

Looks like Wayne will have a few years on the managerial merry go round before stepping into punditry.

Champ

Obviously some on here don't keep up with MLS,
DC United were the worst team in the leagues by some distance when he took over, he has turned into a solid and decent team knocking on the door of the playoffs.

He's a good manager and will get a decent job in the Championship or premiership should he fancy it.

Aretak

Strikers do tend to struggle as managers more?
Sir Alex was a striker in his playing days, was he not? Brian Clough too. The more talented Inzaghi brother's doing pretty well for Inter at the moment as well.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Obviously some on here don't keep up with MLS,
DC United were the worst team in the leagues by some distance when he took over, he has turned into a solid and decent team knocking on the door of the playoffs.

He's a good manager and will get a decent job in the Championship or premiership should he fancy it.
He did a decent job at Derby in shit circumstances too, no?

IRN-BRUno

He's been linked with Birmingham for a while now, Eustace could move on from there and he seems to be the replacement lined-up.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
He's been linked with Birmingham for a while now, Eustace could move on from there and he seems to be the replacement lined-up.
I don't understand why Eustace would leave.

IRN-BRUno

I don't understand why Eustace would leave.
Interest from elsewhere apparently, Rangers was one possible but I'm not sure they'd go for him. And Swansea had been rumoured a few weeks ago but they've turned around their form since then so also unlikely now.

Just from reading a few articles I get the impression Birmingham's new US owners want a bigger name in charge too but that might be wrong.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Rooney’s trajectory was very much on the up before he left for DC, so much so that the biggest question was why on earth would he take that job and not take advantage of the momentum and reputation as an exciting, young manager he was building.

It was reasoned at the time that he went there to hone his craft and round out his own perceived flaws. Whether he’s done that, I have no clue, having not watched a single minute of his time there. It will be interesting to see what route he takes from there; back to the Championship and try and take his own team up, or into the fires of the PL off the back of a sacking?

He has to be very careful because the wrong move could set him back years.

putzmcgee123

He’s making himself available for the United interim manager position.
If ten Hag is sacked at some point this season and the Glazers remain in charge of the club, this feels inevitable to me.